Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:13 pm
Been looking forward to this release -- on 4K from Second Sight. It's a really nice set.

It will be interesting to see it on 4K. The blu ray wasn't the best, I thought.

A couple more German imports arrived today. One was Foreign Correspondent - oddly called "Mord" in German, which is rather confusing when there's also a Hitchcock film called Murder - but then the German language version of that was Mary! I saw the film quite recently, and so just gave it a quick look, and it looks excellent from what I've seen. I don't know if it's the same print as the US Criterion edition.

The other new arrival was The Spiral Staircase, which I started watching this afternoon and then got interrupted. This doesn't look quite as good, but is still a huge improvement over the rather awful DVD I used to have. It appears that some short sections had to be imported in from inferior sources. That's what it looks like anyway. But still well worth having.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 2 months

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:28 pm
Greystoke wrote:
Been looking forward to this release -- on 4K from Second Sight. It's a really nice set.

A couple more German imports arrived today. One was Foreign Correspondent - oddly called "Mord" in German, which is rather confusing when there's also a Hitchcock film called Murder - but then the German language version of that was Mary! I saw the film quite recently, and so just gave it a quick look, and it looks excellent from what I've seen. I don't know if it's the same print as the US Criterion edition.

The other new arrival was The Spiral Staircase, which I started watching this afternoon and then got interrupted. This doesn't look quite as good, but is still a huge improvement over the rather awful DVD I used to have. It appears that some short sections had to be imported in from inferior sources. That's what it looks like anyway. But still well worth having.
I think it might have been the same abysmal Spiral Staircase DVD I had way back when. I would like to get a good Blu-ray release of that one.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:30 pm
pmp wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:28 pm
Greystoke wrote:

I think it might have been the same abysmal Spiral Staircase DVD I had way back when. I would like to get a good Blu-ray release of that one.
I watched the rest on blu ray tonight, and have to say it's absolutely fine. It's only in the first reel where this is a couple of short cut-ins from other prints. My guess is that it's the same version as the Kino issued in the States. Great little movie, too. I think I enjoyed it more this time around than when I saw it the first time ten or fifteen years ago. The only downside with the German issues is that the commentaries and booklets are pretty useless unless you speak German.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Nice to see that Talking Pictures are showing The Young Don't Cry later this month. Haven't seen it for years. Great it's getting an airing.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Two very different films over the last two nights.

Yesterday was Winchester. £1 in a charity shop on blu ray. It's not as bad as its reputation, but it's not good either - not knowing if it's a psychological thriller or a jump-scare horror. It fails in both categories, really, and how Helen Mirren found herself involved is anyone's guess.

Tonight was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea from 1916, released on Eureka's second Early Universal blu ray set a couple of years ago. The DVD I had of this was so bad it was unwatchable - not just the print, but the fact that it ran about 20% too slow. Even FTD haven't done anything that bad. The new restoration is startlingly good in parts. You would never think this was a 107 year old movie. Sadly, as is often the case, various elements have been put together, and they're not all of that quality. Thankfully, it's running at a more lifelike fps, and is 20 minutes shorter than the DVD because of it. The film itself is a slightly weird one viewed a century after it was made. Elements of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea are merged with The Mysterious Island, and then a flashback is added near the end which wasn't in any of the novels (and the film admits this on a title card). About halfway through the film, the narrative basically stops as the film shows off its underwater photography - the first film to utilise it apparently. It must have been awe-inspiring to people in movie theaters back in 1916, but it's hardly new to us in 2023, and you wouldn't lose anything from forwarding through those 15 minutes! The switch between the narratives of the two novels isn't exactly seamless, and the parallel editing was not a competition for Intolerance. And, with Nemo portrayed as an Indian, there is the inevitable make-up of a white actor to portray him. And yet, for the most part, this is still entertaining stuff, and must have been a massive endeavour for the still-fledgling Universal back in 1916.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

As for me it's two differing Frank Sinatra - Dean Martin epics, 4 For Texas and Some Came Running.

The Latter was easily the best but also perhaps too long at just over two hours and a quarter.

4 for Texas, despite it's all-star cast including Charles BRONSON, Victor BUONO and Ursula ANDREAS and directed by Robert ALDRICH, was disappointing production. Still it was cool to see Sinatra in a western film as i do not recall ever seeing him in one.

Some Came Running , certainly has high drama, a stark contrast to Four For Texas. The 1958 movie also has Shirley Maclaine, Martha HYER and Arthur KENNEDY and was directed by Vincente Minnelli.

Anyone here seen , liked or even disliked either 4 for Texas or Some Came Running ?

spoiler alerts...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057071/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052218/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:59 am
Two very different films over the last two nights.

Yesterday was Winchester. £1 in a charity shop on blu ray. It's not as bad as its reputation, but it's not good either - not knowing if it's a psychological thriller or a jump-scare horror. It fails in both categories, really, and how Helen Mirren found herself involved is anyone's guess.

Tonight was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea from 1916, released on Eureka's second Early Universal blu ray set a couple of years ago. The DVD I had of this was so bad it was unwatchable - not just the print, but the fact that it ran about 20% too slow. Even FTD haven't done anything that bad. The new restoration is startlingly good in parts. You would never think this was a 107 year old movie. Sadly, as is often the case, various elements have been put together, and they're not all of that quality. Thankfully, it's running at a more lifelike fps, and is 20 minutes shorter than the DVD because of it. The film itself is a slightly weird one viewed a century after it was made. Elements of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea are merged with The Mysterious Island, and then a flashback is added near the end which wasn't in any of the novels (and the film admits this on a title card). About halfway through the film, the narrative basically stops as the film shows off its underwater photography - the first film to utilise it apparently. It must have been awe-inspiring to people in movie theaters back in 1916, but it's hardly new to us in 2023, and you wouldn't lose anything from forwarding through those 15 minutes! The switch between the narratives of the two novels isn't exactly seamless, and the parallel editing was not a competition for Intolerance. And, with Nemo portrayed as an Indian, there is the inevitable make-up of a white actor to portray him. And yet, for the most part, this is still entertaining stuff, and must have been a massive endeavour for the still-fledgling Universal back in 1916.
Winchester left me quite cold, too. It isn't a terrible film, as you've said. But it lacks suspense and any real chills. It's a good looking film, though. Whilst Mirren doesn't bring a lot to her role.

I've still to get Eureka's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I like the film and the previews on Eureka's YouTube channel impressed me.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:34 am
As for me it's two differing Frank Sinatra - Dean Martin epics, 4 For Texas and Some Came Running.

The Latter was easily the best but also perhaps too long at just over two hours and a quarter.

4 for Texas, despite it's all-star cast including Charles BRONSON, Victor BUONO and Ursula ANDREAS and directed by Robert ALDRICH, was disappointing production. Still it was cool to see Sinatra in a western film as i do not recall ever seeing him in one.

Some Came Running , certainly has high drama, a stark contrast to Four For Texas. The 1958 movie also has Shirley Maclaine, Martha HYER and Arthur KENNEDY and was directed by Vincente Minnelli.

Anyone here seen , liked or even disliked either 4 for Texas or Some Came Running ?

spoiler alerts...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057071/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052218/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
I'm not so fond of 4 for Texas, although it has its moments and a fine cast. Sinatra acted in four westerns in his career. This, along with Johnny Concho, Sergeants 3, and Dirty Dingus Magee.

4 for Never really comes to life, in my opinion. But it is well made. Conversely, Some Came Running is a truly great film, in my opinion. It's stellar on practically every level. Great story. The cast is splendid. The cinematography and direction are first class. Including Vincente Minnelli's decision to refrain from close-ups. Instead, using medium and wide angle shots to emphasise alienation.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Network label is on liquidation. Website down.
Last edited by pmp on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

These are two very naughty girls.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:09 pm
This happened about a week ago, unfortunately. There are some titles I would still like to get hold of, and hopefully they stay available for a while longer.

Indicator is also having to delete some titles, all of which are Fox titles and are therefore under Disney -- The Snake Pit, The Third Secret, Little Murders, The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, and Dragonwyck.

Whatever Disney's plans are for these films is yet to be seen, and of course they may be licensed to another label, but Disney are doing some questionable things right now in censoring and simply not releasing certain films. Case in point, The French Connection has been censored on Disney+ now, and I can't imagine this film being issued unedited again on Blu-ray or 4K any time soon.

Splash, I believe, has also been censored to an extent, with Daryl Hannah's hair having been lengthened using CGI to cover here bare backside.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Rob wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:14 pm

These are two very naughty girls.
They certainly are. I thought this was a bit of a misfire, though. Keanu just isn't good here, although he isn't well directed. And I really like Keanu, so that was disappointing to see.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:47 pm
pmp wrote:
This happened about a week ago, unfortunately. There are some titles I would still like to get hold of, and hopefully they stay available for a while longer.

Indicator is also having to delete some titles, all of which are Fox titles and are therefore under Disney -- The Snake Pit, The Third Secret, Little Murders, The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, and Dragonwyck.

Whatever Disney's plans are for these films is yet to be seen, and of course they may be licensed to another label, but Disney are doing some questionable things right now in censoring and simply not releasing certain films. Case in point, The French Connection has been censored on Disney+ now, and I can't imagine this film being issued unedited again on Blu-ray or 4K any time soon.

Splash, I believe, has also been censored to an extent, with Daryl Hannah's hair having been lengthened using CGI to cover here bare backside.
Censoring seems a very odd decision. I wonder what the reason is for it?

Amazon are doing Indicator films 2 for £15 at the moment, by the way, although I bought most of what I wanted during their own website sale and through 2 for £15 at HMV.

I ordered The Owl Service on blu ray today, in case it goes out of print. The people in HMV seem to think that Network are coming back (or their blu rays are), but under a different banner. We shall have to see.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:20 am
Greystoke wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:47 pm
pmp wrote:

Censoring seems a very odd decision. I wonder what the reason is for it?

Amazon are doing Indicator films 2 for £15 at the moment, by the way, although I bought most of what I wanted during their own website sale and through 2 for £15 at HMV.

I ordered The Owl Service on blu ray today, in case it goes out of print. The people in HMV seem to think that Network are coming back (or their blu rays are), but under a different banner. We shall have to see.
The only two films from Indicator's deletion announcement I don't have are The St. Valentine's Day Massacre and The Third Secret, but I'm not eager to buy those in any regard. I think my next big Indicator purchase will be when they have another sale in October. Although I might get hold of Jet Pilot and The Night Has a Thousand Eyes before then. Mexico Macabre also has my interests.

With regards to Disney, it seems doubtful that they'll explain why something has been censored, although I believe they've said that William Friedkin oversaw the edit of The French Connection that's on the Criterion channel. I guess we'll see what Friedkin says. If he makes comment.

This isn't new to Disney + , though. The Bears and I has been shorn of around 7 minutes. Adventures in Baby Sitting has a line of dialogue censored. So there's clearly a pattern here of censorship perhaps aimed at being more family friendly, or sensitive to certain language, in spite of artistic freedom and storytelling.

This said, there was such a thing as television edits of some films in the eighties and nineties, with choice words dubbed over with more sanitised language for certain broadcasts -- usually daytime. But maybe this is all to avoid any bad PR or potential controversy if there's any kind of outrage or conversation about certain language or actions that could harm the Disney brand. If so, they're missing the bigger picture from a purely corporate standpoint.

There's also recent plans Disney have to remove shows that were made for their platform, which doesn't make much sense either. There's obviously room, even if some shows may not have found the kind of interest Disney hoped for. And maybe they thought, or think, some things won't be noticed. But it's the wrong approach and they're setting a problematic precedent.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Greystoke wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:05 am
Sinatra acted in four westerns in his career. This, along with Johnny Concho, Sergeants 3, and Dirty Dingus Magee.
Thanks mate. Don't recall seeing the three films you mention. Are they comedies, rat-pack era?

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:44 am
Greystoke wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:05 am
Sinatra acted in four westerns in his career. This, along with Johnny Concho, Sergeants 3, and Dirty Dingus Magee.
Thanks mate. Don't recall seeing the three films you mention. Are they comedies, rat-pack era?
Johnny Concho was a pretty minor, straight western from 1956, which was the first film Sinatra produced. Sergeants 3 is from 1962 and this one is a Rat Pack film that's basically a western remake of Gunga Din. And Dirty Dingus Magee from 1970 is a comedy western.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I've enjoyed a dive back into the Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes films last night and this afternoon. They're certainly an uneven bunch of films, but they are brief and a lot of fun, with mystery and suspense abound. And both Rathbone and Bruce in career defining roles.

Most of them are on Sky just now and they seemed like a great option after watching Avatar: The Way of Water for the second time last night. Although the Holmes films have far more plot than James Cameron's visually impressive, but narratively thin oceanic epic. Saturday morning cartoons from the 1980s had more substance!

However, the action is often good, and whilst it's hardly perilous, there's consequences and stakes at play as Sam Worthington's Jake Sully and his family leave the forests for the seas, as they're pursued by vengeful "sky people" of Earth.

It's far too long and could have been trimmed of an hour at least, whilst the story is very clichéd. Although the primary attraction is the visuals and the world Cameron creates. But I didn't find it especially vivid first time round. And felt much the same last night. Whilst the first Avatar, which I can't say that I'm very fond of, either, felt more groundbreaking at the time. And it was also more vivid and involving, for that matter, despite how familiar that story was, too.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:I've enjoyed a dive back into the Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes films last night and this afternoon. They're certainly an uneven bunch of films, but they are brief and a lot of fun, with mystery and suspense abound. And both Rathbone and Bruce in career defining roles.

Most of them are on Sky just now and they seemed like a great option after watching Avatar: The Way of Water for the second time last night. Although the Holmes films have far more plot than James Cameron's visually impressive, but narratively thin oceanic epic. Saturday morning cartoons from the 1980s had more substance!

However, the action is often good, and whilst it's hardly perilous, there's consequences and stakes at play as Sam Worthington's Jake Sully and his family leave the forests for the seas, as they're pursued by vengeful "sky people" of Earth.

It's far too long and could have been trimmed of an hour at least, whilst the story is very clichéd. Although the primary attraction is the visuals and the world Cameron creates. But I didn't find it especially vivid first time round. And felt much the same last night. Whilst the first Avatar, which I can't say that I'm very fond of, either, felt more groundbreaking at the time. And it was also more vivid and involving, for that matter, despite how familiar that story was, too.
Hugh, did you see avatar The Way of water initially in the cinema or only on TV?

Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:37 pm
Greystoke wrote:I've enjoyed a dive back into the Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes films last night and this afternoon. They're certainly an uneven bunch of films, but they are brief and a lot of fun, with mystery and suspense abound. And both Rathbone and Bruce in career defining roles.

Hugh, did you see avatar The Way of water initially in the cinema or only on TV?
On IMAX.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Rasputin the Mad Monk tonight, Hammer's 1966 take on the Rasputin legend, which certainly owes a debt to Dracula, with elements of the supernatural at play and Christopher Lee in the leading role.

Anthony Hinds wrote the script, with Don Sharp providing robust direction on some very familiar sets, although well-used sets, given the ways and means in which Hammer operated. Lee was perfectly cast, and he gives a foreboding, vibrant performance as the mad monk.

Good support from Barbara Shelley as the lady in waiting to the Tsar, whom Rasputin sets his sights on when his ambitions move from a small Russian town to St. Petersburg. The finale is terrific. And Don Banks' score is very good.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:37 pm

On IMAX.
Same for me.
It is a straightforward, simple narrative, much like the first film but like that first film it is a stunning visual experience that will be considerably diminished watching at home.

The underwater motion capture filming and the subsequent cgi work might just be as groundbreaking as the first film was in 2009.

Great film, no. But an excellent one indeed.

Always Elvis
Anthony

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight, I returned to House of Horrors (1946), which Eureka released recently on blu ray, and which is also on the Shout Factor Universal Horror sets. This is one of the darker later Universal horrors, and miles away from the "House of..." films, which were really not serious horrors at all. It does take its lead from other films, though. Rondo Hatton is essentially the same character as he was in The Pearl of Death. The sculptor protagonist/setting reminds us of The Mystery of the Wax Museum. The two catty critics seem to take their lead from Clifton Webb in Laura. While the film is most remembered now for being one of the few acting roles for Rondo Hatton, it's Martin Kosleck who steals the show. This is good little B-movie getting away with a surprising amount considering the production code, and at 66 minutes, it moves along nicely. The Shout Factor print is very good indeed.

Last night, rather inspired by the fact that the stage musical is playing in the theatre about 20 yards from the flat, I went back to Heathers, but didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did last time I saw it, but it's certainly a film I associate with my teenage years, and was quite the talk of school when it was released. The Arrow blu ray is excellent, though.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:35 am
Tonight, I returned to House of Horrors (1946), which Eureka released recently on blu ray, and which is also on the Shout Factor Universal Horror sets. This is one of the darker later Universal horrors, and miles away from the "House of..." films, which were really not serious horrors at all. It does take its lead from other films, though. Rondo Hatton is essentially the same character as he was in The Pearl of Death. The sculptor protagonist/setting reminds us of The Mystery of the Wax Museum. The two catty critics seem to take their lead from Clifton Webb in Laura. While the film is most remembered now for being one of the few acting roles for Rondo Hatton, it's Martin Kosleck who steals the show. This is good little B-movie getting away with a surprising amount considering the production code, and at 66 minutes, it moves along nicely. The Shout Factor print is very good indeed.

Last night, rather inspired by the fact that the stage musical is playing in the theatre about 20 yards from the flat, I went back to Heathers, but didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did last time I saw it, but it's certainly a film I associate with my teenage years, and was quite the talk of school when it was released. The Arrow blu ray is excellent, though.
I haven't seen Heathers in a while now, but I'm certainly fond of House of Horrors. And talking of Eureka, it's interesting to see that they've got a 4K release of Touch of Evil slated for September. I'm eager to see more details about the release when they make a formal announcement this week.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I got around to seeing 5 Against the House, from 1955. A new film to me. Not sure what to make of it. It's a heist movie (of sorts), set around a group of college students (of sorts - they're all ex-GIs, so in their 30s). The problem is that there is little chemistry between the students, and not any between Guy Madison and girlfriend Kim Novak (doing her best Monroe impression) - their scenes together are totally passionless. There might be a good movie in this story somewhere, especially around the fact that one of the students has PTSD because of his experiences in Korea - and that is handled with compassion (a surprising amount considering this was made nearly seventy years). But the film is a watchable but undistinguished affair, and I doubt it's something I will return to.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:30 am
Tonight I got around to seeing 5 Against the House, from 1955. A new film to me. Not sure what to make of it. It's a heist movie (of sorts), set around a group of college students (of sorts - they're all ex-GIs, so in their 30s). The problem is that there is little chemistry between the students, and not any between Guy Madison and girlfriend Kim Novak (doing her best Monroe impression) - their scenes together are totally passionless. There might be a good movie in this story somewhere, especially around the fact that one of the students has PTSD because of his experiences in Korea - and that is handled with compassion (a surprising amount considering this was made nearly seventy years). But the film is a watchable but undistinguished affair, and I doubt it's something I will return to.
It's a bit of an oddity for sure, and despite some elements that could work well, and have worked well in other films, it doesn't really come together. Novak was surely out on a limb here. Although this type of film was very much Phil Karlson's forte. But he needed a better script and a better cast on the whole. This said, I think I like it a bit more than you did, Shane.

Great announcements from Criterion today, incidentally. Including 4K releases of Walkabout and The Trial, plus La Bamba on Blu-ray. This said, I might hold off a bit to see if Second Sight offer a 4K upgrade of Walkabout. Their Blu-ray release and the limited edition box set is terrific.