I am going stir-crazy without my sports!

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Re: I am going stir-crazy without my sports!

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

just read that unknown player Harmony Tan beats Serena Williams 7-5 1-6 7-6 (10-7) in a final set tie-break in the first round at the Big W.

Meanwhile, aussie ratbag has been a bad boy (yet again). Does he have the mental toughness to ever block out the hecklers and let his racquet do the talking , as so many other players have done?

"Nick Kyrgios spat towards spectator at Wimbledon: “If I give it back to you, then that’s just how it is.”

https://thecomeback.com/tennis/nick-kyrgios-spat-towards-spectator-at-wimbledon.html

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Day (and Night) 3 at the Big W, am gutted to read that U.S. Open winner, Emma RADUCANU is eliminated :cry: , losing to Caroline GARCIA in two sets!

Also sentimental favourite, two-time champion Andy MURRAY is gone , beaten by John ISNER 6-4, 7-6, 6-7, 6-4 who's 37 years old and served 37 aces!

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

I been reading on this hot-head called Alejandro Davidovich Fokina who has been defaulted down match-point, and so he should have. Don't recall this ever happening in tennis or if it did must have been some years ago.

Similary australia's Nick KYRIGOS can count himself lucky that he too hasn't been defaulted following his spitting after he won and later degrading comments regarding two lines officials , including an elderly linesmen whom Nick implied was too old for the job. Theirs is a thankless job.

Whatever happened to the saying that Tennis is a Gentlemen's sport.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/wimbledon-updates-djokovic-raducanu-centre-100619813.html

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/wimbledon/completely-appalling-erin-molan-labels-kyrgios-an-absolute-tool-in-scathing-takedown/news-story/dcbd0110bf7a52e871e6c940525ada5c

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/nick-kyrgios-argues-with-reporter-slams-old-man-as-wild-press-conference-goes-rogue/news-story/d0f54b3cd20431ec5cef3eb0bd757b81

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:10 am
I been reading on this hot-head called Alejandro Davidovich Fokina who has been defaulted down match-point, and so he should have. Don't recall this ever happening in tennis or if it did must have been some years ago.

Similary australia's Nick KYRIGOS can count himself lucky that he too hasn't been defaulted following his spitting after he won and later degrading comments regarding two lines officials , including an elderly linesmen whom Nick implied was too old for the job. Theirs is a thankless job.

Whatever happened to the saying that Tennis is a Gentlemen's sport.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/wimbledon-updates-djokovic-raducanu-centre-100619813.html

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/wimbledon/completely-appalling-erin-molan-labels-kyrgios-an-absolute-tool-in-scathing-takedown/news-story/dcbd0110bf7a52e871e6c940525ada5c

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/nick-kyrgios-argues-with-reporter-slams-old-man-as-wild-press-conference-goes-rogue/news-story/d0f54b3cd20431ec5cef3eb0bd757b81
I don't think it's all that much different to the days when McEnroe let off steam with obscenities etc, certainly not in Fokina's case.

Perhaps the most remarkable disqualification in recent times was Nalbadian's one at Queens back in 2012 (was it really that long ago???), where he was in the final and he lashed out at one of the barriers and it cut the leg of the person sitting behind it. That brought the tournament to an abrupt end.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Getting to the business end of the Championships now with the mens' and womens' quarterfinals round.

Tonight Nick KYRGIOS is playing vs. Cristian GARIN for a spot in the Semifinal most likely against NADAL.

The obnoxious Australian, Kyrgios has also made the headlines off the court and is facing a common assault charge filed against him which has broke yesterday He has been summonsed to appear in a Canberra court next month to face a charge of allegedly assaulting a former girl friend late 2021.

To date there has been no official comment from either his management or Wimbledon officials on this allegation.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/wimbledon/wimbledon-2022-nick-kyrgios-assault-charge-chiara-passari-breaks-silence-timing-of-charge-quarterfinal-vs-cristian-garin/news-story/a6132da324652e0c2b86e1b95f462a23

pmp

Post by pmp »

The Nadal situation is a mess. There is no way a player should have a walkover to the next round, especially when it's a final. To my mind, the person he defeated in the quarters should be given the slot in the semis.

On the other hand, the cancellation of one semi means that two wheelchair matches are now on a show court for the first time at Wimbledon. Great to see Alfie Hewett and Gordon Reid getting to play there, and it's about time. They have now won ten grand slam doubles titles in a row. I really hope the change of court results in the wonderfully entertaining wheelchair game (especially the doubles) getting a bigger audience.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:46 am
The Nadal situation is a mess. There is no way a player should have a walkover to the next round, especially when it's a final. To my mind, the person he defeated in the quarters should be given the slot in the semis.

On the other hand, the cancellation of one semi means that two wheelchair matches are now on a show court for the first time at Wimbledon. Great to see Alfie Hewett and Gordon Reid getting to play there, and it's about time. They have now won ten grand slam doubles titles in a row. I really hope the change of court results in the wonderfully entertaining wheelchair game (especially the doubles) getting a bigger audience.
What will the All England Lawn Tennis Club do for the ticketholders that paid for the NADAL v KYRGIOS s/final now? Will the crowds who've paid top dollars be refunded? They should be.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:41 am
pmp wrote:

What will the All England Lawn Tennis Club do for the ticketholders that paid for the NADAL v KYRGIOS s/final now? Will the crowds who've paid top dollars be refunded? They should be.
Don't know how it works - whether they pay for the court or the match. Either way, it meant the wheelchair match was on the BBC all afternoon, and the spectators have probably realised what theyve been missing. A comeback from 1 set and 5-1 down is pretty spectacular. And there seemed to be more watching that than the start of the men's semi final, going by social media..

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:07 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
pmp wrote:

Don't know how it works - whether they pay for the court or the match. Either way, it meant the wheelchair match was on the BBC all afternoon, and the spectators have probably realised what theyve been missing. A comeback from 1 set and 5-1 down is pretty spectacular. And there seemed to be more watching that than the start of the men's semi final, going by social media..
As far as I am concerned , this tournament is over for me. I am not keen on either the womens and mens finals and Kyrgios and Djokovic are not exactly role models, ambassadors for this sport.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:52 pm
pmp wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:07 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
pmp wrote:

As far as I am concerned , this tournament is over for me. I am not keen on either the womens and mens finals and Kyrgios and Djokovic are not exactly role models, ambassadors for this sport.
I agree on that front - and often have the same feeling in the closing days of snooker tournaments. But I still have the wheelchair event. Talking of which, tickets are sold for a particular court and not the match, to answer your previous question.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Australia is looking the goods , thus far, leading the commonwealth games medals, after three days of competition. :D

Arch rivals England and New Zealand are in the hunt, however.

1. Australia — 22 (gold), 13 (silver) 17 (Bronze) , 52 total

2. England — 11 (gold), 16 (silver), 7 (bronze) , 34 total

3. New Zealand — 10 (gold), 5(silver), 4 (bronze) , 19 total

C'MON AUSTRALIA !!!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/commonwealth-games/commonwealth-games-2022-medal-tally-live-updates-latest-australian-gold-silver-bronze/news-story/a4e531ab9e8ebbeb3f747ccda67b7f24

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Congrats to Lionesses historical world cup Football (Soccer) win...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62370131

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Day 9 and after two quiet days, Australia has added 9 Gold medals , if you don't mind? :lol:

with two days left, i can't see the mother country England catchin' them, can you ?

Australia - 59 Gold, 46 Silver, 50 Bronze
155 Total

England - 50 Gold, 52 Silver, 46 Bronze
148 total

Canada - 22 Gold, 29 Silver, 33 Bronze
84 total

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

The 2022 U.S. Open Tennis championship is coming up and it's gonna be great as Novak DJOKOVIC won't be there. Good riddens to that :lol: He and Nick KYRGIOS are probably the two worst ambassadors to this great sport, the best sport in the world, as far as i'm concerned.

DATE: August 29 - September 11, 2022
SURFACE: Hard
TOTAL FINANCIAL COMMITMENT: $60,102,000
FIELD SIZE: 128 Each
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Danill MEDVEDEV (Russia) ; Emma Raducanu (U.K.)

What follows are the Mens and Ladies seedings:

1. Daniil Medvedev
2. Rafael Nadal
3. Carlos Alcaraz
4. Stefanos Tsitsipas
5. Casper Ruud
6. Felix Auger-Aliassime
7. Cameron Norrie
8. Hubert Hurkacz
9. Andrey Rublev
10. Taylor Fritz
11. Jannik Sinner
12. Pablo Carreno Busta
13. Matteo Berrettini
14. Diego Schwartzman
15. Marin Cilic
16. Roberto Bautista Agut
17. Grigor Dimitrov
18. Alex de Minaur
19. Denis Shapovalov
20. Daniel Evans
21. Botic van de Zandschulp
22. Frances Tiafoe
23. Nick Kyrgios
24. Francisco Cerundolo
25. Borna Coric
26. Lorenzo Musetti
27. Karen Khachanov
28. Holger Rune
29. Tommy Paul
30. Maxime Cressy
31. Nikoloz Basilashvili
32. Miomir Kecmanovic

1. Iga Swiatek
2. Anett Kontaveit
3. Maria Sakkari
4. Paula Badosa
5. Ons Jabeur
6. Aryna Sabalenka
7. Simona Halep
8. Jessica Pegula
9. Garbine Muguruza
10. Daria Kasatkina
11. Emma Raducanu
12. Coco Gauff
13. Belinda Bencic
14. Leylah Fernandez
15. Beatriz Haddad Maia
16. Jelena Ostapenko
17. Caroline Garcia
18. Veronika Kudermetova
19. Danielle Collins
20. Madison Keys
21. Petra Kvitova
22. Karolina Pliskova
23. Barbora Krejcikova
24. Amanda Anisimova
25. Elena Rybakina
26. Victoria Azarenka
27. Martina Trevisan
28. Ekaterina Alexandrova
29. Alison Riske-Amritraj
30. Jil Teichmann
31. Shelby Rogers
32. Elise Mertens

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

USTA tournament director's statement on Novak Djokovic's withdrawal from the 2022 US Open:

Novak Djokovic withdrew from the 2022 US Open prior to the draw taking place this morning.

The official seeding list is not determined until the draw is made. As the Qualifying Tournament has commenced, his withdrawal resulted in a lucky loser being included in the draw.

Statement from Stacey Allaster, US Open Tournament Director:

"Novak is a great champion and it is very unfortunate that he will be unable to compete at the 2022 US Open, as he is unable to enter the country due to the federal government's vaccination policy for non-U.S.citizens. We look forward to welcoming Novak back at the 2023 US Open."

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

day one at the U S Open Tennis and good to read about Andy Murray, who won the USO ten years ago but is unseeded. Murray beats Francisco Cerundolo 7-5 6-3 6-3 , the latter was seeded #24.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

AW HELL !!! :evil: :(

There's been huge boilover at the U S Open Tennis on day 2, with defending champion and British star, young Emma Raducanu out 3-6, 3-6 in the first round at the hands of veteran frenchwoman Alize Cornet.

Last year Emma prevailed without losing one set ! Now it's the complete opposite :shock:

Was hoping to see her and young Leylah FERNANDEZ (who Emma beat in the 2021 final) in a re-match. It wasn't to be. AWWWWWWW :(

Let's hope she will regroup from this.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/62733471

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Day 3 second round action and a win by Matteo Berrettini , the italian star seeded #13. I
give him a chance of winning the U S Open, one of 4 players who has the tools to do so (including being mentally strong).
Matt Berrettini in the next round plays Andy MURRAY, that's going to be something to see.

The hot-headed one, Nick KYRGIOS has been at it again but manages to win in four sets.
During his match, Kyrgios complained to the umpire that he could smell pot-smoking emitting from the stadium and the umpire then had announced to the crowds to not smoke?
I thought in this day and age smoking would be banned for all sporting arena's.

Next , he complains to his own group of family, coach and friends ( and not for the first time) that he was not receiving enough cheers and support from them !
You wonder why the KYRGIOS family and coach just did not up and leave the stadium. The amount of abuse vented towards them is not only embarrassing , but a disgrace to the game .
It is up to player on the court to keep his focus (and head together) and work things out.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

while am not exactly a NADAL fan, I have to say i am impressed with his ability to turn a 2-6,2-4 deficit to a four set win against fiery italian Fabio Fognini in the second round.

Nadal aged 35, has played just one tournament (which he lost in an early round) since Wimbledon, where he was forced to retire injured in the semifinal and in his personal life , it was reported that his wife who is expecting their child in october, has been rushed to hospital last week.

Nadal also endured a self-inflicted nose injury which bled badly during the match but despite these obstacles he came back to win in style. Nadal is the favourite to win his 5th U S Open as he has huge advantage with decades of experience and without arch rivals DJOKOVIC or FEDERER playing the tournament.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Is it the End of an ERA ? Day 5 at the US Open, Serena Williams has bowed out, losing in three sets, a 3 hour match to rising australian star, Ajia Tomljanović. Ajia after the match, apologises to the pro-Williams crowd for eliminating her.

Very heartfelt speech by Williams to the crowds but she sounded like she's leaving her options open for a comeback.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

It's getting to the business stage of the U.S. Open tennis as it's quarterfinals mens and womens . The mens number 1 and 2 seeds are out of contention, Daniil Medvedev and Rafael Nadal, and i don;t recall this ever happening before prior to the quarterfinals.

Australian brat Nick KYRGIOS (who beat MEDVEDEV in the fourth RD) today lost to another russian Karen Khachanov in five sets, then straight after the match Kyrgios lost it be slamming his racquet several times.

KHACHANOV will play Casper RUUD in one semi-final. Tomorrow they play the remaining quarterfinals and there's a possibility that we could have an all-Russian U S Open final, as Andrei RUBLEV takes on Frances TIAFOE (conquerer of NADAL) for a spot in the second semifinal.

two remaining womens quarterfinals will also be played with number one seeded Iga SWIATEK (Poland) vs. Jessica PEGULA (U.S.A) seeded #8.

UPDATE

Fifth seeded Belarusian, Aryna SABALENKA defeats Karolina PLISKOVA and is the second semifinal.
She awaits the winner of SWIATEK - PEGULA, who play their quarter-final later tonight, New York time zone.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

UPDATE... American Frances TIAFOE, seeded 22, has just eliminated Andrei RUBLEV , the 9th seed, by 7-6,7-6,6-4 and has booked a spot in the second SF. I did not see all of the match apart from the third set but was really impressed by his tactics, avoiding baseline rallies and moving forward to the net and volley skills , was great to watch !
Should make the american sports headlines because you have to go all the way back to 2006 when the last american male , Andy RODDICK, reached the semifinal.

Tiafoe plays the winner of Carlos ALCARAZ and Jannik SINNER, the last of the mens quarterfinals.
Last edited by Walter Hale 4 on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

well it was billed as the battle of the two rising stars in the 4th mens quarterfinals, italy's Jannik SINNER vs Spain's Carlos ALCARAZ, the #3 seed... and they DID NOT DISAPPOINT !

Match was won by young Carlos, who's 19 years old and many reckon , will succeed countryman Rafael NADAL, in 5 Sets - a five hour, 15 minute epic, that finished at 2.50 am New York time.
They broke the record for latest finish in U S Open tournament history.

Final score , Alcaraz defeated Sinner 6-3, 6-7(7), 6-7(0), 7-5, 6-3, saving one match point in the fourth set where Sinner served for the match when leading 5-4.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Huge congrats to Poland's Tennis queen and number 1 player in the world, Iga SWIATEK. She won the final, her first U.S. Open, yesterday defeats Ons Jabeur (tournament 5th seed), relatively easy.
The New York crowds vocal support for Jabeur wasn't enough to help her make it a competitive match.

Right now the men's final is in progress. Hope to see a 5 set barnburner , a great way to finish the tournament :D

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

The Spanish sensation CARLOS ALCARAZ has won his first major at the ripe old age of 19. He defeated Norways CASPER RUUD in four riveting sets in just over three hours of play.
They played out a number of spicy rallies, not just trading forehands and backhands all match long but some remarkable volleying too and which was good to watch.

The two young men have certainly given tennis a much needed shot in the arm.

Last edited by Walter Hale 4 on Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.