I am going stir-crazy without my sports!

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Re: I am going stir-crazy without my sports!

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

CARLOS ALCARAZ Presser. Jeez this boy from spain at 19, what a game determination and speed about the court and mindset he has. Good technique of shots and demeanor beyond his years. He so reminds me of Pete SAMPRAS when he was 19 also winning the U S Open tournament.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

ATP and WTA new rankings just announced.
Interestingly three of the U.S. Open finalists have all been promoted up the order to 1 and 2, while poland's Iga SWIATEK was already women's world number 1.
Norway's Casper RUUD is #2 but only by 40 points ahead of NADAL.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/rankings

londonflash
Registered for: 21 years

Post by londonflash »

Kent CCC won their second trophy in a year yesterday, with their victory in the final of the Royal London Cup.

Our last one-day silverware came in 1978 and, after 8 defeats in finals, it was great to see Joe Denly lift the trophy.

What a day for Darren Stevens. 46 years old and with his future up in the air, contributing with 33 runs.

Steady the buffs!!

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

CRICKET T20 WORLD CUP - an extraordinary Battle of wills last night (AU timezone about 10.30 pm) with Arch rivals INDIA vs PAKISTAN, India coming back from the dead and winning it, they looked gone for all money, until near the end of the game. To be fair, they were helped out as Pakistan bowlers tensed up and bowled two crucial no-balls as the pressure got to Pakistan. Great Game :D

Hey londonflash, did you get to see any of this game over there ?

T20 World Cup 2022 Ind vs Pak (highlights)

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

T20 Cricket World Cup is becoming a farce as the highly anticipated AUSTRALIA vs ENGLAND game was cancelled last night because of rainy conditions and a questionable field. Hot Damn :evil:

ICC under fire over 'frustrating' T20 World Cup decision

written by Chris Young·Sports Reporter
Sat, 29 October 2022 at 1:46 pm

The ICC has faced questions from fans after the crucial T20 World Cup match between Australia and England was abandoned without a single ball being bowled.

Cricket fans have erupted over the ICC's decision to host Australia's T20 World Cup clash on Friday night at the MCG, with the crucial match washed out in the Melbourne rain.

Both Australia and England will be at a disadvantage after earning a solitary point from the abandoned Super 12 stage game, leaving fans up in arms as to why the nearby Marvel Stadium, which has a retractable roof, was not used.

Ironically, very little rain fell after the scheduled 7pm start time, but umpires called off the game over concerns about wet patches in the sodden outfield.

The umpires held two further pitch inspections and promised to do another one at 8.50pm, but it never happened as a short shower came through and the covers were again placed on the MCG pitch.

Shortly after, opposing captains Aaron Finch and Jos Buttler shook hands to signal the abandonment of the match.

An earlier scheduled match at the MCG between Ireland and Afghanistan was also called off due to rain.

It comes after Wednesday's New Zealand-Afghanistan match at the MCG was abandoned, with the England-Ireland game earlier on the day that decided by the Duckworth Lewis Method after rain set in.

Afghanistan coach Jonathan Trott was bemused the roofed Marvel Stadium, less than 5kms from the MCG, was not considered by the ICC for use during the World Cup.

“This is what happens at this time of year and the beginning of summers,” Trott said.

“The frustrating thing is there’s a stadium down the road that has a roof so you can play cricket there. We could have had lots of cricket. :evil:

"But it does mean the tournament is unpredictable with lots of must-win games coming up.”

Australian coach Andrew McDonald, a proud Victorian, believes the MCG should always be the first option for cricket games in Melbourne.

"Everyone wants to play at the MCG, you can't predict the weather," he said.

"There's probably no better place you'd want to be playing than the MCG."
England and Australia at risk in T20 World Cup after match abandoned

The crunch game shaped as an effective eliminator for the loser after England's shock defeat to Ireland on Wednesday.

Aaron Finch's team was reeling after being thrashed by New Zealand in their opening match of the tournament last Saturday.

Fourth-placed Australia will have to win their remaining two games against Afghanistan and Ireland and rely on the Black Caps beating England to advance to the semi-finals.

England's destiny remains in their hands thanks to a superior net run rate to Australia, meaning they can move through to the final-four if they win both their matches.

"Unfortunately, to get two games affected by weather (this week), you don't want to be involved in those games, but it's going to happen wherever you play in the world," Buttler said.

"It's a shame for everybody involved, all the fans who have been come to watch this game live and everyone wanting to watch on TV.

"For players, Australia against England at the MCG in a must-win World Cup match is as big as it gets in your career.

"These are the games you want to be involved in, no matter what the result is going to be, it's something you want to experience as a cricketer."

https://au.yahoo.com/sports/cricket-2022-icc-under-fire-over-frustrating-t20-world-cup-decision-australia-england-mcg-031639980.html

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Cricket T20 World Cup - and a Huge game coming up (my) friday evening with Australia taking on Afghanistan.

Crucial game for the aussies , they need to win BIG and hope like hell England loses it's remaining game versus Sri Lanka (saturday) just to move ahead of England and to finish second in their group (behind New Zealands).

As it stands South Africa, India, NZ and England look like being the best teams to get through the semifinals.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Was a surprisingly close game with Afghanistan falling four runs short of Australia's (the hosting nation and defending champions) 168 runs.

So now unless Sri Lanka wins vs England coming up today, England will finish second advances to the semifinal round to take on India,

Good summary here for you :

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/63510878

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

AW Hell :evil: :cry:

The aussies are out of the T20 Cricket World Cup.

And it's by virtue on England's highly-dramatic win against the Sri-Lankians.

Good write up here:

Aussies OUT of home World Cup after England barely avoids unthinkable collapse vs Sri Lanka

Australia is out of the T20 World Cup after England barely avoided what would’ve been an unthinkable collapse to hold on and beat Sri Lanka.

The English were cruising, sitting 75-0 after 7.1 overs chasing just 142, after the Sri Lankan middle order put up minimal fight.

But after Alex Hales (47 off 30) and Jos Buttler (28 off 23) fell, they slowed to a crawl, and with Dawid Malan sidelined with a groin injury suffered while fielding, England was wobbling at 111-5 with the victory no longer certain.

With the equation getting to nine from nine and then five off the final over, Ben Stokes (42* off 36) proved the steady hand England needed, getting enough help from the Poms’ lesser batting lights to reach the total with two balls to spare, finishing 144-6.

England finishes second in Group 1 behind New Zealand and will face the winner of Group 2, likely India or South Africa, in the semi-finals.

The Aussies were left to rue their horrific run rate, caused by the opening loss to the Kiwis, and an inability to limit Ireland and Afghanistan from keeping their matches close. They finished .573 behind England.

Earlier Sri Lanka were kept to the lowest total by a team batting first at the SCG in this tournament. They averaged less than a run a ball from the eighth over onwards.

England’s chase began smoothly with openers Buttler (25) and Alex Hales (22) taking their side to 50-0 after five overs.

The game felt effectively over already when they took 20 runs off the sixth over, with 70-0 the highest powerplay score of the World Cup so far.

However England was not making it easy on themselves, losing easy wickets and sitting 111-5 after 14.3 overs.

Sri Lanka’s skipper Dasun Shanaka won the toss and elected to bat, and his side was sitting 52-1 after five overs with Pathum Nissanka on 31, having slugged three sixes.

They began to slow from there, Nissanka reaching his half-century with his side at 89-3 after 12 overs, celebrating by hammering Ben Stokes for six.

Making matter worse for the English, Dawid Malan appeared to tweak his groin while fielding in the 14th over, forcing him off the ground.

Sub fielder Chris Jordan caught Nissanka on a skied hit for 67 off 45 in the 15th over, which is when things really turned around.

Sri Lanka slowed to a crawl; their captain Shanaka managed 3 off 8, his side adding just 14 runs combined in the 16th-18th overs. The continued death bowling brilliance of Sam Curran played a part.

The middle order managed just 25-5 in the final five overs leaving England with a very manageable target of 142.

The equation was simple for England: win, and qualify for the semi-finals. A loss would’ve sent Australia through.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/t20-cricket-world-cup-england-vs-sri-lanka-at-scg-live-scores-updates-blog-video-highlights/news-story/68e508c5c902ea8a1d60da78598d033f

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Cricket T20 World Cup Semifinal #1 - Pakistan has booked a spot in the final with a fairly decisive win against New Zealand. Pakistan batting second, they looked flawless.

The next semifinal , India versus England is coming up (Thursday AU evening time). Expect India will prevail.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

CRICKET T20 World Cup second semi-final is on right now, thursday evening AU timezone ,with INDIA taking on ENGLAND. I have picked INDIA to win the whole thing (including before the start of the event) and they've scored a target of 169 runs.

Can England do it? They batting now and , at least to this point, they're in there with a chance, It's 41 runs with 4 overs completed, no batter has been dismissed yet.

UPDATE

Moments ago , the game was won by England, India well and truly hammered.
They had no answer to the two opening batters - Joe Butler and Alex Hales - were absolutely ruthless , attacking and fearless. Great to watch cricket being played like this :D

It's interesting to note that the semi-finals , the side batting second was he winner. So England through to the final to take on Pakistan on Sunday evening. The game will be at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

The England vs Pakistan T20 Cricket final underway right now. It's been an absorbing game I can assure you :D

Pakistan have finished their 20 overs with a modest 137 runs. So England , i would say, look the goods right now but you never can be sure.

Let's hope they can complete this game without wild, heavy rain disruptions that were forecasted.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

UPDATE

England Wins the Cricket World Cup , just moments ago.

Well done England. We know it's been a really tough year over there and this win will go some ways to bring some happiness and joy.

Interestingly that 30 years ago in the World cup final, England lost to Pakistan at the Melbourne Cricket Ground but tonight they reversed the result.

Celebrate well my friends.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

2022 WORLD CUP FOOTBALL is underway right now.

England has won their first group game vs Iran in convincing fashion but world and social politics was also featured - understandable on the one level, but let's hope it doesn't spread or continue throughout the month long championship.

Good write-up here:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63603382

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

having won the T20 World Cup Cricket just 9 days ago, England has been soundly beaten in three One Day games vs Australia in Australia. The third game in particular was a huge 213 run thrashing.

Aussies absolutely dominated the three 50 overs games.
To be fair, England may be in, what i call "Honeymoon whirlwind" mode - What's this after the World Cup ???
But then again Australia is arch-rival and that alone should have spurred England competitiveness on any code of cricket.

Could scheduling have accounted for their poor effort ?

Good write-up here :

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/63716620

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Tennis - Congrats team Canada , winning the Davis Cup.
They defeated the Aussies 2-0 in decisive fashion from what i read.
It was their first Davis cup win.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/canada-australia-davis-cup-finals-2022-sunday

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Todd Woodbridge , multiple Wimbledon doubles champion and these days , tennis broadcaster, doesn't pull any punches following Canada's win in the Davis Cup...

Canada's Davis Cup win re-opens debate about 'utter disgrace' wildcard decision

Canada's drought-breaking Davis Cup win over Australia has re-opened debate over a controversial decision by the International Tennis Federation back in March.

The ITF handed Canada a wildcard into the finals despite the fact they were thrashed 4-0 by the Netherlands in the qualifying round.

But a spot in the finals needed to be filled when Russia was booted out for invading Ukraine.

Instead of giving the spot to a winner from the second-tier World Group I, Canada was given a reprieve as the highest ranked losing nation.

"What an utter disgrace," Australian legend Todd Woodbridge tweeted when the decision was announced in March.

"Canada has lost this year, but given a second chance wildcard.

"This is a new low for our sport.

"Just can't fathom how far this great competition has sunk."

In a column for Wide World of Sports days after the decision was made, Woodbridge said the decision to award the wildcard to Canada "is just the latest in a string of disgraceful decisions that have done nothing but harm a once-great tournament."

"For reasons that could best be described as unfathomable, the organisers decided to give Canada a wildcard into the finals," he wrote.

"Instead of rewarding a country that actually had a win in their opening tie from World Group I, Canada are given a free ride into the finals.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/tennis/davis-cup-2022-canada-win-over-australia-illegitimate-todd-woodbridge-mardy-fish-andy-roddick/f7eae2ce-993b-4bdc-990f-a5e4889dd9e1

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Cricket - Australia vs West Indies Test series has been won by Australia by 2-0.

The once mighty West Indies were, in a word pathetic, during the second test played in adelaide only managing 77 runs and the test was over in just 4 days !!! Next for the aussies will be a test series vs. South Africa, should be more competitive.

Scorecard here:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=aust+vs+west+indies#sie=m;/g/11t85l9283;5;/m/021q23;dt;fp;1;;;

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Cricket- Aussies edges out England and takes a one nil lead in the Ashes :D

Australia somehow prevailed in another Edgbaston Ashes classic to beat England by two wickets and take a 1-0 lead in the series.

On a final day fraught with tension, ninth-wicket pair Pat Cummins and Nathan Lyon added an unbroken 55 to defy the raucous crowd and get Australia to their target of 281.

In doing so, they extracted revenge for Australia's famous two-run defeat on this ground 18 years ago, when the tailenders just fell short of reaching a target of 282.

Cummins, with 44 not out, and Lyon's unbeaten 16 took Australia to their narrowest Ashes win in terms of wickets since 1907.

England looked to be surging towards victory when captain Ben Stokes produced a magical slower ball to bowl Usman Khawaja for 65 and Joe Root held a stunning return catch off Alex Carey.

But as a breathless match entered its final hour, Cummins and Lyon swung the bat at England's short-ball plan to inch Australia closer.

Stokes almost dismissed Lyon with a flying catch for the ages when 37 were still required, the captain losing control of the ball as he dived backwards at square leg.

The target ticked down, the evening drew in. With three runs required and less than five overs remaining, Cummins deflected Ollie Robinson towards third man, a diving Harry Brook fumbled and Australia had an incredible victory.

A series that has already lived up to the hype continues with the second Test at Lord's on 28 June.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/65964831

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

not happy campers this lot... :lol:

John T
19:36 20 Jun

D’you serious think those England players in the changing room are now saying “well cricket won today”? To declare before you passed 400, against the best team in the world, was not only stupid but arrogant. They got what was coming to them.

mike james
19:35 20 Jun

It’s not cricket when you declare on the first day of the test

neilkd21

The Aussies were gritty but England lost that one due to arrogance and sloppy mistakes. None of this glorious defeat nonsense either, a defeat is a defeat. Hopefully England learn from this.

lamthe
21:33 20 Jun

Glorious defeats have their place, but this was more of an assisted suicide and quite unsatisfactory.

philt77
19:35 20 Jun

There you go. Stupid declaration, senseless batting and unfit bowlers and now England need 3 from 4 to win the Ashes.

RKP80

Definition of an idiot?

He who declares on day one of a test!

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Beeb account
19:33 20 Jun
There will no doubt be hundreds of ifs, buts and maybes - that’s cricket (and why we love it).

But I just want to thank both teams for outstanding entertainment. :smt023

Roll on Lords.

liverpool supporter right here
20:04 20 Jun

Why dont the England players have a word with Stokes and say to him, best not too declare so early when Root is still batting?

Jack
20:27 20 Jun

Stokes at the interview did say, he was hoping to pluck one or two wickets at the end of the day, when the players are very tired...perfect reasoning. If it had come off, and it nearly did, everyone would have been singing his praises.
Things work out sometimes, and sometimes they don't. Under Stokes, England have secured much more victories than defeats, so let him be.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Congratulations Walter on the first test.

Worked in front of the TV all day Monday and Tuesday.

In hindsight, it wasn't wise to declare when we did. I think another 50 runs were needed, but that's how this England side play. Entertaining but a little too reckless at times.

Hats off to Cummings and Lyon. That was a terrific stand.

Quite a few people think Bairstow should be dropped, due to his keeping. What do you think?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

carolynlm
Registered for: 2 years 5 months

Post by carolynlm »

hey there Flash....just wondering if you are a member of the MCC?

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Hey Carolyn, how are you?

I hope you're enjoying the cricket. Reckon you must be now that you're 2-0 up in the series.

The test matches are coming thick and fast, Headingley on Thursday, although I do believe they should space them out a bit.

It's been a bit of a strange series but fun to watch. Had England been a bit smarter, they could be the ones with two victories but, still, the Aussies have been good value for their two wins.

With England's approach, anything could happen.

No, I'm not a member of the MCC. Maybe one day. A friend of mine was at Lord's on the opening day and said it was a brilliant.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

carolynlm
Registered for: 2 years 5 months

Post by carolynlm »

Hey Flash, I am great thankyou. I am enjoying the cricket, although it makes a very tiring day. I am sure if you were an MCC member,you would behave with decorum. The last day’s play was brilliant and exciting to watch. Mr. Stokes had me worried there for a while. The next test will be ‘interesting’.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

It's lovely to see you post here and I'm glad you're doing well.

I bet it's a long day! Tried a few all-nighters myself when the Ashes have been Down Under. Was only worth it in 2010/11.

Yes, the scenes in the Long Room on Sunday were rather unbecoming. I understand people were angry with how Bairstow lost his wicket, feeling it was against the spirit of the game (although I thought it was a fair dismissal, particularly given how the game was poised) but that went too far. Probably too many GnTs!

I think the events on Sunday will make the next test less friendly.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum