Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

1970 Summer Festival

Post by thefunkyangel »

Sent in by email
IMG_1351.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Re: 1970 Summer Festival

Post by jurasic1968 »

From a party after the show? Thanks.

Elvis Fan
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by Elvis Fan »

Thanks for sharing, TFA. It would appear to be an after show party. Any idea who else is in the photo?
EF

Stevenson
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Stevenson »

The gentleman in white looks like Doy Ott (of The Statesmen) to me

When your heart gets restless - time to move along,
When your heart gets weary - time to sing a song,
But when a dream is calling you
There's just one thing that you can do...

Follow That Dream (1961)

Gunter
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Gunter »

Stevenson wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:37 pm
The gentleman in white looks like Doy Ott (of The Statesmen) to me
It is Doy Ott from The Statesmen Quartet. Apparently the picture was first posted in 2018 on The Statesmen Quartet FB-page.

Here is a picture of My Uncle Doy Ott his wife Mary and My cousin Doy ( Skipper) Ott with Elvis. My Dad gave this to me the other day. I sure miss Uncle Doy.
It is thus safe to say that the picture is not from Summer Festival 1970 but in fact taken on Elvis' 2nd visit to the Gospel Quartet Convention at Ellis Auditorium in Memphis on October 17th 1970. The same day this picture was taken:

carlook2.jpg
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/carlook70s.html

Another one to add to Paul's Candid Central I'd say!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You know, that version of "Dixie" and uh, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," it's so beautiful!
The band he's put together is so over-the-top, and only Elvis would have that kinda spending power, and just audacious craziness. Choirs, and orchestras, and a great rhythm section, maybe another gospel group on the side. None of it makes sense until you suddenly hear something like that, and they're all playing a role in that, and it's very moving music. That's the pure joy of music in the man. You know, that's when I see everything stop.

~Tom Petty - The Searcher

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

What email list is this? This is a great copy of a photo I've had in poor quality black & white for a long time.

I included it on a topic I created back in 2012:

Elvis and the Statesmen Quartet --> It's No Mystery!
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71121

We see Elvis with Doy Ott, second wife Mary, and son Doy Jr. Ott was the baritone singer in the Statesmen Quartet for two decades at that point. The Statemen were Elvis' favorite, going back to his teen-age years.

With the b&w copy, I thought this was taken in Las Vegas in 1969. But now it's clear that it's from Memphis in 1970.

The proper credit should read:

With Doy Ott, second wife Mary, and son Doy Jr. at Ellis Auditorium, Memphis - Saturday, October 17, 1970
Elvis attended the National Quartet Convention on Thursday (15) and Saturday (17).

At the time the Statesmen Quartet was made up of:

Jim Hill - lead singer
Sherrill Nielsen - tenor
Doy Ott - baritone
Jim "Big Chief" Wetherington - bass
Hovie Lister - pianist

No doubt Elvis was thrilled by the guy in the tenor slot for the Statesmen.

thefunkyangel wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:50 pm

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Looks like Doy was identified while I was putting together my reply, neat.

With my post we also have the date and place down now, too. Definitely not in Vegas in August 1970.

Mary and Doy Jr. are still with us today. Mary is 88, her son is 56!

I have a few more things that work here as well, so I'll share them next.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Kind of interesting that the FB copy of the candid was buried in the comments of a FB page devoted to Doy Ott's group:

The Statemen Quartet
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=609273032579268&set=a.214242932082282

Steve Bradley's comment
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212073975389684&set=p.10212073975389684

Anyway, so we have the other photo taken that night outside Ellis. It's below.

I've also added Bradley's FB copy of the photo, which might be better quality, plus the cool shot of Elvis you might already know.

It was taken exactly a week earlier, on October 10, 1970, note he has the same look . . . fuzzy sideburns!

He was posing for his Shelby County deputy sheriff's ID photo. The badge allowed him to carry a pistol.

'

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by Markus K. »

I knew that I've seen the pic posted before on one of your posts, Doc!
Great info as usual and thanks so much for the additional bits and pieces on this, much appreciated.

As you might have guessed, that pic of Elvis for his badge from October 10, 1970 might be one I quite like :)

I was working on this for some time in order to use it for an alternate cover for "Elvis Country", but never got around to finish it.
Here's my ultra high-res work on the pic (an alternate of that I use for my avatar) including some try on colorizing it (fitting to the "Elvis country" style I was going for.

Given the low-quality of the original it was hard to upscale it with at least some decent quality but I think with the overall slightly blurry look it still works at that size of roughly 10k x 10k pixels.

You guys are free to use it for your own use but if you use it publicly it'd be nice if FECC would get a acknowledgement as source.

BadgePic2.jpg

drjohncarpenter

Markus K. wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 3:24 pm
Great info as usual and thanks so much for the additional bits and pieces on this, much appreciated.

As you might have guessed, that pic of Elvis for his badge from October 10, 1970 might be one I quite like :)

I was working on this for some time in order to use it for an alternate cover for "Elvis Country", but never got around to finish it.
Here's my ultra high-res work on the pic (an alternate of that I use for my avatar) including some try on colorizing it (fitting to the "Elvis country" style I was going for.

Given the low-quality of the original it was hard to upscale it with at least some decent quality but I think with the overall slightly blurry look it still works at that size of roughly 10k x 10k pixels.

You guys are free to use it for your own use but if you use it publicly it'd be nice if FECC would get a acknowledgement as source.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not a big fan of manipulated photos, but your effort here is really nice.

Online you will find some "enhanced" versions of the b&w original, but they aren't nearly as good.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by Markus K. »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:36 pm
Markus K. wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 3:24 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not a big fan of manipulated photos, but your effort here is really nice.

Online you will find some "enhanced" versions of the b&w original, but they aren't nearly as good.
Thank you so much!
It was just something I did for personal use on a home-made CD cover which from time to time I like to do.
Like you I am not a fan of manipulated photos so this was something outside my usual comfortzone. I just thought it would be a fun idea to try and have it manipulated in a way that would mirror what was done for the original "Elvis Country" cover and this here was the base from which I would have started to work. I didn't find the time back then to dig deeper into it and later on I lost interested into investing more time. So this is what was left of it. Another version was then used for my avatar, so at least it had some use in the end :D