Toronto - some new pictures (for me)

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Toronto - some new pictures (for me)

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Nice find. There do appear to be a few new to my eyes. Many have been seen through the years, they're beautiful shots.

We learn they were taken by Toronto news photographer Lou Turofsky. That's new information.

If I may, I'll share them here. Thanks!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Lot #1118: 1957 Elvis Presley 29 Original 5x7 and 8x10 News Service Photographs April 2, 1957 Concert in Toronto, Ontario

Offered are a fantastic group of 29 5x7 and 8x10 news service photographs of Elvis Presley before and during his two shows in Toronto, Ontario at the Maple Leaf Gardens. The images emanate from the Toronto newspaper The Telegram, Carlton-Yonge Photos Ltd. and famous Toronto news photographer Lou Turofsky. Lou and his brother Nat were the official photographers of the Toronto Maple Leafs and so were always granted access to events at The Maple Leaf Gardens. Lou died just two years after his photos were taken. All of the offered photographs' incredible clarity, contrast and boldness were produced directly from the original news photographer's film. All but a few are backstamped "TORFSKY", "Carlton-Yonge" or "The Telegram".

The photographs cover Elvis' interactions backstage before the 6 PM show, the 6 PM concert, after the 6 PM show, before the 9 PM show and the 9 PM show. The photographs included are: Before 6 PM show: 10 photos, incl. one with "Miss Toronto"; 6 PM show: seven photos all in full gold lamé suit; After 6 PM show: five photos incl. presentation of large parchment from Toronto EP Fan Club; Before 9 PM show: five 8x10 photos incl. Elvis holding TV News magazine and a copy of the magazine with the image on the cover; 9 PM show: one 8x10 and one 5x7 with Elvis in gold lamé jacket with black shirt and pants. Most of these photos have shown up over the years, to be sure, but we have never seen an archive of period prints of this quality. Stunning MINT condition.

https://rockhurstauctions.com/1957_Elvis_Presley_29_Original_5x7_and_8x10_News_S-LOT10922.aspx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Lot #1121: 1957 Elvis Presley Four Toronto Star 8x10 News Service Photographs

Offered are four 8x10 photographs from the Toronto Star Syndicate featuring Elvis Presley during his April 1, 1957, concert at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens and in front of the brand new gates of Graceland in October 1957. Of the three photographs from the concert, the one with Elvis giving the double thumbs down was published in the April 2 edition of the paper. The thumbs down was Elvis' answer to a "question of his marriage intentions." The photo of Elvis at Graceland's gates was taken for a story published on October 26, 1957, but a different shot was used. The photographs all present with the "Toronto Star Syndicate" stampings on the reverse, but it is unclear if they were printed in the period or at a later date. Regardless, they emanate from the news service. Very well preserved. Near Mint to Mint condition, minimally.

https://rockhurstauctions.com/1957_Elvis_Presley_Four__em_Toronto_Star__em__8x10-LOT10923.aspx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

There are a few new ones there. Thanks for sharing.

We are on the hunt for 300 or so unseen photos from the Ottawa and Vancouver shows - any leads out there??

Greg1995
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Greg1995 »

paulsweeney wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:28 pm

We are on the hunt for 300 or so unseen photos from the Ottawa and Vancouver shows - any leads out there??
There's one guy whose father took a dozen of photos at the Vancouver gig. However, they had been sold to somebody I know. Don't know if originals or copies, though.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Greg1995 wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:28 pm

There's one guy whose father took a dozen of photos at the Vancouver gig. However, they had been sold to somebody I know. Don't know if originals or copies, though.
Thanks Greg. Yes, I am aware of those that have been purchased.