Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

New to my eyes ✌🏻

Post by thefunkyangel »

590D5A4F-F1B1-42FC-BCA3-215B7DE1A328.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: New to my eyes

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Elvis is astride his 1965 Harley-Davidson FLH Electra-Glide, picked up in April 1965. He'd upgrade to the 1966 model in October.

http://www.scottymoore.net/MC65FLH.html

Best I can figure is this was taken in L.A. not long after he got it. He looks happy.

thefunkyangel wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:43 pm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: New to my eyes ✌🏻

Post by Jaime1234 »

Tremendous photp.,many thanks

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:28 am
Elvis is astride his 1965 Harley-Davidson FLH Electra-Glide, picked up in April 1965. He'd upgrade to the 1966 model in October.
That's actually a 1964, and not one I have listed on the site.
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-american-motorcycles/1964-model-fl-ze0z1208zsch/

As of today though I created a page for it
http://scottymoore.net/MC64FLH.html

drjohncarpenter

JamesVRoy wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:37 pm
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-american-motorcycles/1964-model-fl-ze0z1208zsch/

All right, got ya to put up a new page.

Couple pf questions:

- was the name plate the giveaway for calling it a 1964 model?
- does this mean we're seeing Presley circa April 1964, around the time of "Roustabout"?

Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:55 am
JamesVRoy wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:37 pm

All right, got ya to put up a new page.

Couple pf questions:

- was the name plate the giveaway for calling it a 1964 model?
- does this mean we're seeing Presley circa April 1964, around the time of "Roustabout"?

Thanks.
The Duo glide on the fender and the paint scheme on the tank was the tell. 64 was the last year for the kick start. When the 65s came out with electric start thee names changed to Electra glide. They changed the paints scheme, especially on the tank every year though some years always always offered solid single colors, like black. Another clue on many years is the tank emblem. That also changed frequently.
This could be 64 or back to even fall of 63 according to the bike availability. I don't know if the hat helps date it, clothes are more Brian's thing but I know he was wearing those blue yachting caps at least since the 1962 release of Girls Girls Girls

drjohncarpenter

Yeah, bripet56 was an incredible sleuth for dating photos. His methods are ones I now use as much as I can. So sad we lost him so young.

As for the photo, he's too heavy for that April 1962 photo, but your update on late 1963 availability of the bike allows me to make an educated guess.

In late Dec 1963 we can see photos where the singer is up in weight, especially by Hollywood standards. We also know that in January 1964 Elvis used one of his motorcycles to get to Nashville for a studio session, and he was wearing a yachting cap, according to those who were there.

So . . . it's not impossible the candid dates to January 1964, and maybe taken while on the three-hour drive from Memphis to Nashville. Maybe he even thought of the long ride as a start to getting his weight down before beginning his next film for Paramount Studios, "Roustabout."

Perhaps someone can tells us more . . . it was only 59 years ago . . .

JamesVRoy wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:14 am
The Duo glide on the fender and the paint scheme on the tank was the tell. 64 was the last year for the kick start. When the 65s came out with electric start thee names changed to Electra glide. They changed the paints scheme, especially on the tank every year though some years always always offered solid single colors, like black. Another clue on many years is the tank emblem. That also changed frequently.
This could be 64 or back to even fall of 63 according to the bike availability. I don't know if the hat helps date it, clothes are more Brian's thing but I know he was wearing those blue yachting caps at least since the 1962 release of Girls Girls Girls

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

I did not know about Brian. I'm sorry to hear of it. He was a great guy.

gilles-tcb
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by gilles-tcb »

I've got this picture dated from 640112 but with another Harley Davidson and not the same clothes. Maybe it can help to put the correct date on the new one.
640112 Nashville (1) arriving at RCA's Studio B.jpg
I've got pictures with Elvis and the same cap on August 65, and also I've got this picture undated (where I found it, I don't know) and in very bad quality, with, maybe, the same HD ?
Graceland.jpg

You've never walked in that man's shoes or seen things through his eyes
Or stood and watched with helpless hands while the heart inside you dies
So help your brother along the road no matter where you start
For the God that made you, made them too, these men with broken hearts

javierTCB
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by javierTCB »

gilles-tcb wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:22 am
I've got this picture dated from 640112 but with another Harley Davidson and not the same clothes. Maybe it can help to put the correct date on the new one.

That day Elvis recorded: "Memphis, Tennessee" (remake), "Ask Me" (remake) and "It Hurts Me".

"If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'
For these are changing days
And if your head is in the sand
While things are goin' on
What you need is a Change of Habit"

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

gilles-tcb wrote:
I've got pictures with Elvis and the same cap on August 65, and also I've got this picture undated (where I found it, I don't know) and in very bad quality, with, maybe, the same HD ?
the top one is with his 1958 Duo glide and a copy at least was part of the collection of Al McAlexander. I saw it at Al's cycle in Memphis over 20 years ago. That's a better copy though than the one I had.
http://scottymoore.net/MC58FLH.html

The second on is with his 66
http://scottymoore.net/MC66FLH.html

G.I. Blues
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by G.I. Blues »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:08 am
Yeah, bripet56 was an incredible sleuth for dating photos. His methods are ones I now use as much as I can. So sad we lost him so young.

As for the photo, he's too heavy for that April 1962 photo, but your update on late 1963 availability of the bike allows me to make an educated guess.

In late Dec 1963 we can see photos where the singer is up in weight, especially by Hollywood standards. We also know that in January 1964 Elvis used one of his motorcycles to get to Nashville for a studio session, and he was wearing a yachting cap, according to those who were there.

So . . . it's not impossible the candid dates to January 1964, and maybe taken while on the three-hour drive from Memphis to Nashville. Maybe he even thought of the long ride as a start to getting his weight down before beginning his next film for Paramount Studios, "Roustabout."

Perhaps someone can tells us more . . . it was only 59 years ago . . .

JamesVRoy wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:14 am
I don't think this photo was taken in January when riding from Memphis to Nashville. It's pretty cold in Memphis at this time and Elvis is rather lightly dressed. Boy, would he have frozen his a*s off on that ride.

Daddy has left the Wohnzimmer!
Thank You and Good Night!

javierTCB

Post by javierTCB »

thefunkyangel wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:43 pm
Looks like 1965 :?
Last edited by javierTCB on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

"If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

gilles-tcb wrote:
This photo is severely cropped. The version i have, though water marked is less cropped and shows a building in the disctance in the back. The alternate version on the wall in the cycle shop and on the right on my page shows that the buidling savs "AVIS" on it though there could be an obscured first letter. looking again at the page for the 58 Duo it appears he had the 58 at least into April 63 and is pictured on it with Priscilla at Chennault's in Memphis (same hat) so the photo with the 64 is at least some time after that.

drjohncarpenter

JamesVRoy wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:19 am
I did not know about Brian. I'm sorry to hear of it. He was a great guy.

He was a true fan for sure.

Brian Petersen RIP
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114310

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

G.I. Blues wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:50 pm
I don't think this photo was taken in January when riding from Memphis to Nashville. It's pretty cold in Memphis at this time and Elvis is rather lightly dressed. Boy, would he have frozen his a*s off on that ride.

Maybe so, but he definitely rode to Studio B in this example on one of his motorcycles.

Nashville was 10 degrees warmer that day.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/tn/memphis/KMEM/date/1964-1-12
https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/tn/nashville/KBNA/date/1964-1-12

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

javierTCB wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:23 pm
Looks like 1965 :?

The first is from Honolulu in August 1965, but the second is from 10539 Bellagio Rd. in Bel Air in 1961.

Similar candids have been dated to late November 1961 (possibly November 22).

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

JamesVRoy wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:47 am
gilles-tcb wrote:

This photo is severely cropped. The version i have, though water marked is less cropped and shows a building in the disctance in the back. The alternate version on the wall in the cycle shop and on the right on my page shows that the buidling savs "AVIS" on it though there could be an obscured first letter. looking again at the page for the 58 Duo it appears he had the 58 at least into April 63 and is pictured on it with Priscilla at Chennault's in Memphis (same hat) so the photo with the 64 is at least some time after that.

I've got two shots as well. It's definitely not from Nashville in January 1964, look at how neither Elvis nor the fan in the background have jackets on, and in fact Elvis is dressed way too casual for a recording session. Sadly, I've seen it marked as Nashville '64 by a Presley site notorious for having scores of misattributed Elvis photos.

What I believe we're seeing is Elvis cruising in Memphis circa May-June 1963, just down a bit from Graceland. Behind and to his left is the DAVIS Tire outlet that used to be located at 4178 Highway 51 South. There were eight in the Memphis area, it was a big business. Graceland's address then was 3764 Highway 51 South.

So the photo on this topic may still be from January 1964 . . .

'

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

gilles-tcb
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by gilles-tcb »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:11 am
JamesVRoy wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:47 am
gilles-tcb wrote:

I've got two shots as well. It's definitely not from Nashville in January 1964, look at how neither Elvis nor the fan in the background have jackets on, and in fact Elvis is dressed way too casual for a recording session. Sadly, I've seen it marked as Nashville '64 by a Presley site notorious for having scores of misattributed Elvis photos.

What I believe we're seeing is Elvis cruising in Memphis circa May-June 1963, just down a bit from Graceland. Behind and to his left is the DAVIS Tire outlet that used to be located at 4178 Highway 51 South. There were eight in the Memphis area, it was a big business. Graceland's address then was 3764 Highway 51 South.

'
Thanks Doc, I will update my picture in my folder and also thanks for the second one that I didn't have. For sure we can find some wrongly dated pictures on Internet but it is always interesting to upload them and then, to try to confirm or to update them with the expertise from one or another.
::rocks

You've never walked in that man's shoes or seen things through his eyes
Or stood and watched with helpless hands while the heart inside you dies
So help your brother along the road no matter where you start
For the God that made you, made them too, these men with broken hearts

Sugarfoot
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Sugarfoot »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:02 am
javierTCB wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:23 pm

The second is from 10539 Bellagio Rd. in Bel Air in 1961.

Some additional photos from the latter occasion. It appears the prize was awarded by the Elvis' Angels fan club.

elsangelsaward.jpg

javierTCB

Post by javierTCB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:02 am
The first is from Honolulu in August 1965, but the second is from 10539 Bellagio Rd. in Bel Air in 1961.

Thanks for this info, Doc .

"If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'

drjohncarpenter

The fan club name has to be "El's Angels" . . . as a play on the "Hells Angels" motorcycle club.

Hells_Angels_logo.jpg

This must've been the time where he and his pals were riding Harleys at night around Bel Air. He'd just cut a sly tribute to that endeavor at his October '61 Nashville session, called "Night Rider."

Wonder what was written on the trophy.

Sugarfoot wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:59 am
Some additional photos from the latter occasion. It appears the prize was awarded by the Elvis' Angels fan club.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Elvis_Presley
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by Elvis_Presley »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
This photo, albeit edited, seems to have been captured around the same time as the one in the OP.

295947454_420555170114560_3549926984566484048_n.jpg

The Facebook fan page does not provide any information about it:

drjohncarpenter

Elvis_Presley wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:50 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:

This photo, albeit edited, seems to have been captured around the same time as the one in the OP.

The Facebook fan page does not provide any information about it:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=420555176781226&set=pb.100064802412457.-2207520000.&type=3

Wow, nice moody shot there. It does appear to have had some modern enhancement software done on it, though.

The background might provide more clues to when and where for it. I'll see if I can find something.

Right now, I'd place this one to early 1962, maybe around the time of "Girls! Girls! Girls!"

'

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.