Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Phoenix, April 22nd ‘73

Post by thefunkyangel »

37AC19B6-E325-4A00-BDAC-9B5B4CC5BE88.jpeg

If anyone here knows the exact location, as seen here,
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/limo73.html, then can you kindly please let me know. I thank you here in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Phoenix, April 22nd ‘73

Post by drjohncarpenter »

thefunkyangel wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:11 am

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/limo73.html, then can you kindly please let me know. I thank you here in advance

This was an afternoon show, that shot is from after the performance.

It's very possible Elvis just flew in, did the gig, and flew back out, en route to Anaheim for the next evening's show. Which would make the two photos we have both taken near the airport.

Fan and author Jerry Osborne is seen in the other photo on the candid page, he's the dude with the big, "Elvis" sunglasses behind Presley.

Osborne would certainly remember exactly where the shot was taken, you can email him:

We welcome e-mail questions, comments, and suggestions: jpo@olympus.net

https://jerryosborne.com/

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Sugarfoot
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Sugarfoot »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 pm
thefunkyangel wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:11 am

It's very possible Elvis just flew in, did the gig, and flew back out, en route to Anaheim for the next evening's show. Which would make the two photos we have both taken near the airport.
After 3 days of rehearsals at the RCA studios in Los Angeles, Elvis flew into Phoenix on the evening of April 21, and took lodgings at what is now the Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel. The arrival was delayed due to some plane trouble until past midnight. After the show, Elvis went back to his hotel. He didn't spend the night in Phoenix, though, as he left for Los Angeles and his Hillcrest Drive home for the night's rest instead. In the following morning he would then drive to Anaheim and its Royal Inn.

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

That was on Easter Sunday 1973, and Elvis arrived in the pre-dawn hours on a Hughes Airwest DC-9 charter after his normal plane had engine issues. They had to divert and change planes. We were there at the airport. Both of those images are from the rear of the hotel.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Sugarfoot wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:25 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 pm

After 3 days of rehearsals at the RCA studios in Los Angeles, Elvis flew into Phoenix on the evening of April 21, and took lodgings at what is now the Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel. The arrival was delayed due to some plane trouble until past midnight. After the show, Elvis went back to his hotel. He didn't spend the night in Phoenix, though, as he left for Los Angeles and his Hillcrest Drive home for the night's rest instead. In the following morning he would then drive to Anaheim and its Royal Inn.

What's the source of that lengthy quote? Always helpful to know.

FrankieRider2 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:14 pm
That was on Easter Sunday 1973, and Elvis arrived in the pre-dawn hours on a Hughes Airwest DC-9 charter after his normal plane had engine issues. They had to divert and change planes. We were there at the airport. Both of those images are from the rear of the hotel.

So this must be the rear of the Sheraton Airport Inn in Phoenix, on the property of Sky Harbor International Airport?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

DJC, the Sheraton was not on the grounds of the airport, but a short drive (especially at high speed) away. My Pops tried to stay with the limousine after we left the airfield but by the time we arrived at the hotel, Elvis' limo was sitting under the front awning still running...with all four doors wide open.

I would guess they decided to not use that back entrance due to the late hour of arrival. The hotel today though is still in a decidedly industrial area, so the view seen in that post-show shot rings true to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Sugarfoot
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Sugarfoot »

I may have stumbled upon some new information which would make my earlier statement about the hotel incorrect. In a Phoenix history FB group, a local pinpointed the location of this photo as folllows:
See the Bekins building, then on Central Avenue near Indian School Road, in the background.
It was also mentioned that the coliseum was 3 miles away from this location.

I tried to check the location at Google maps and to my eyes this screenshot from the corner of Central Ave and Indian School Road has the same mountain in the background. The closest hotel today which would match the location is the Hilton Garden Inn. The mountain would be visible even from its parking lot area, and the angle would match. :)

compare.JPG

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

FrankieRider2 wrote:
And again I thank your father for the fine recording we have of the show.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Rob wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:03 pm
FrankieRider2 wrote:
And again I thank your father for the fine recording we have of the show.
You are most welcome, sir. It's not that great a recording, but with all the years in between now... I guess it's still the only copy to surface of that long-ago show.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA