The Mega Upgrade '24 [support/request topic]

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: The Mega Upgrade '24 [support/request topic]

Post by Rob »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:58 am
Things I am aware of:
1.) The search is borked. fixed
2.) Issue with persistent logouts -----> I have resolved this (hopefully).
Indeed. That's why you are the "Tech Guru."

And we appreciate it.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Registered for: 21 years
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Alan_K wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:47 am
Logged in and now no issues.
Cool beans. It boggles the mind. I cloned the php, phpBB, and sql confs - but WHENEVER I move to new servers, these little bugs pop up. No matter how long I take to "break in" said servers. And I think the log in issues have a lot to do with user cookies/caches needing to be updated in their browsers and them settling in, as well as a stale "sessions" table in the DB that I fixed (oops).
Alan_K wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:52 am
Also, speed? Seems a bit slow still. Is that something that will come together once everything is in place and all boxes ticked?
Yesssir. Speed is still being tinkered with. But to give you an idea of the speed we are talking about (processor wise), I had to create a new search index for the search function. I had used Sphinx, and was mildly impressed with it last time. Now that Centos is pretty much dead, and we are done with them, so is Sphinx (in the way you can integrate it with phpBB at least). So to my amazement I hacked together a stand alone integration of Manticore - and it indexed the entire board in 40 seconds, with updates to the "deltas" every 3 minutes. Something that used to take hours or days on a board this size. Yet still, the processors, infrastructure, and some configs still need to be tweaked further.
Rob wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:52 pm
Indeed. That's why you are the "Tech Guru."

And we appreciate it.
And that's why we love you.

I thank you both (and all) for your (and any further bug reports).

--------------------------------------------
After 75 hours doing this non-stop - last night my mind and body just turned off (literally). So I finally was able to rest when the sites had been transferred and the (major) bugs had been worked out. Yet still, I was up bright and early at 0630 this morning (some things never change). But, my "Monster" coffee in a can has been doing its job. (Sorry @Rob)
-------------------------------------------

I still ask anyone that sees any bugs to please report them here!

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Everyone pleased so far?

Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

11/30/23
A just for "essentials" backup server has been added to the array.
With 16TB of space on the backup server --- This baby will be good for a while!
Is everyone pleased with the upgraded servers so far? Any bugs to report? Don't be shy!

Jordan

ImageImage

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:12 pm
Everyone pleased so far?

Yes, but I cannot like your posts in this section, no "thumbs up" button, so you'll just have to pretend.

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:21 pm
11/30/23
Is everyone pleased with the upgraded servers so far? Any bugs to report? Don't be shy!
Thank you!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Scarre wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:41 am
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:21 pm
11/30/23
Thank you!
You're very welcome!

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

FFS THAT wasn't expected.............

For those not following the Twitter feed, SQL went on its way. And the servers required reformatting and restoring which is still going on. So please bear with me.

P.S. For those in the Phoenix, Az area - I haven't forgotten about you.

Jordan

ImageImage

The Swamp Fox

Post by The Swamp Fox »

Where is the search icon, now? I may be blind, but I can’t seem to find .

LEX TALIONIS

STAY FROSTY, STAY STRAPPED, AND STAY DANGEROUS!

WEAK MEN CREATE HARD TIMES

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

It's been deprecated in this incarnation of the forum for now. See the roadmap, per se, https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=116290

It's back.

Jordan

ImageImage

Alan_K
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Post by Alan_K »

When I visit the forum the first thing I do is look for any updates to posts I've posted in, so I go to the "Quick Links" > "Your posts" link.
It has disappeared, it was there the other day and now its disappeared.

I just read about the Search bar option not being operational but that's still here on my screen/ or has recently returned. (Might not be on the m. version but is on the full computer screen version)

15562days.com - A chronological profile of the most influential artist of the latter half of the 20th century, Elvis Presley.

Alan_K

Post by Alan_K »

Just read the link above. I didn't realise that things hadn't panned out.

But, where you've put this:
What about all the old topics?

They will be archived right here, and you are more than welcome to pick up where you left off - on the new forum.
Why will it work then as an archive but not as a non archive? Are you using two versions of phpbb to do this, one is not php 8.x but the new forum part is? (two phpbb boards somehow?)

(For it to work do we have to demonstrate our love for Rob as well? Will this be added to acceptance of the group rules? )

15562days.com - A chronological profile of the most influential artist of the latter half of the 20th century, Elvis Presley.

Alan_K

Post by Alan_K »

Okay, search bar is there - but ineffective. Check.
The link for "Your posts" is there, but its part of the search so that's also going to be non-effective. Check.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Alan_K wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:24 pm
The link for "Your posts" is there, but its part of the search so that's also going to be non-effective. Check.
fixed, and fixed.

Jordan

ImageImage

Alan_K

Post by Alan_K »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:45 am
Alan_K wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:24 pm
fixed, and fixed.
::rocks

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Really like the new layout/colours. Thank you.

Alan_K

Post by Alan_K »

Had this a few times of late, "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later."

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Alan_K wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:15 pm
Had this a few times of late, "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. The server has high load. Please try again later."
That's a feature that prevents a D-DOS or, prevents further D-DOS activity. Your site has the same feature :shock: :D

Jordan

ImageImage

Alan_K

Post by Alan_K »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:24 pm
Alan_K wrote:
That's a feature that prevents a D-DOS or, prevents further D-DOS activity. Your site has the same feature :shock: :D
I have no idea what a D-DOS is, only that I don't think I'd like one and I'm happy something is there to prevent me having one.
I'd just never seen that message before.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by BrianTCB »

Alan_K wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:57 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Alan_K wrote:
I have no idea what a D-DOS is, only that I don't think I'd like one and I'm happy something is there to prevent me having one.
DDOS is a denial of service attack, which basically means that hackers will send a massive load of random packets (or pings) to a server in an attempt to overload the server in order to bring it down.

Alan_K

Post by Alan_K »

BrianTCB wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:17 am
Alan_K wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Alan_K wrote:
DDOS is a denial of service attack, which basically means that hackers will send a massive load of random packets (or pings) to a server in an attempt to overload the server in order to bring it down.
thanks for the info. I think I've heard of that just never had it labelled as a d-dos. In this day and age we are still being held by hackers because no system it seems can differentiate between a single user IP address request and an onslaught of attempts generated by non single requests.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Alan_K wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
Alan_K wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Alan_K wrote:
thanks for the info. I think I've heard of that just never had it labelled as a d-dos. In this day and age we are still being held by hackers because no system it seems can differentiate between a single user IP address request and an onslaught of attempts generated by non single requests.
In our line of servers we have a pretty good detection and deflection system as one of our lines of defense. Then our datacenter (where the servers live, per se) vacuums up the larger (sometimes multi terabyte attacks) automatically. No system is perfect though, and that's why you got that message. It is rare these days, and that's why you have probably never seen it before.
And since switching out our line of servers recently, we are running on 100% NVME-M.2 drives that have a benchmark (as of last week) of around 3.4 GB/s between drives. When you think about it - that's almost equivalent to 1 DVD per second. Which makes things a tiny bit quicker here and other sites we host.
[End of boasting\]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Jordan

ImageImage

Alan_K

Post by Alan_K »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:54 am
Alan_K wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
Alan_K wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Alan_K wrote:
In our line of servers we have a pretty good detection and deflection system as one of our lines of defense. Then our datacenter (where the servers live, per se) vacuums up the larger (sometimes multi terabyte attacks) automatically. No system is perfect though, and that's why you got that message. It is rare these days, and that's why you have probably never seen it before.
And since switching out our line of servers recently, we are running on 100% NVME-M.2 drives that have a benchmark (as of last week) of around 3.4 GB/s between drives. When you think about it - that's almost equivalent to 1 DVD per second. Which makes things a tiny bit quicker here and other sites we host.
[End of boasting\]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
:smt023

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:37 am
From '19:
The core of the upgrade has been installed. There are still some things I have to tweak here and there. But otherwise, everything appears to be working as it should!
If you have any requests or support issues, please post here.
Thank you, everyone, for your patience!

CURRENT A/O 04/13/24
"Lightbox" for images has been replaced with "FancyBox". This lets you see the full image when clicked and the "Expand arrows" clicked at the top of the image. Plus a bunch of other goodies "under the hood". Any issues or questions, please ask here.

11/30/23
This is your space to make requests, or log support issues along the way. New FECC server stats/config will be added as soon as possible.
Centos 6/7/8, the server Operating System we have used since the start back (officially) in '03 is being retired, so we will be converting to another, similar Linux platform. You will not notice anything but faster loading speeds. More space. And.. Again this is were you make your voice heard about what you expect to see as far as feature upgrades. While not all are possible, as you've seen in the past MANY have been. So don't be shy!

FECC IS RUNNING ON NVME DRIVES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY!

11/21/23

The new servers have been acquired, with more than double the space (on NVME drives this time!!) of the prior giant servers, better performing processors, and more!!

11/27/23
Everything installed.
Things I am aware of:
1.) The search is borked. fixed
2.) Issue with persistent logouts -----> I have resolved this (hopefully).
3.) Servers need more optimization.
4.) ??? Don't be afraid to speak up.

11/30/23

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

"Lightbox" for images has been replaced with "FancyBox". This lets you see the full image when clicked and the "Expand arrows" clicked at the top of the image. Plus a bunch of other goodies "under the hood". Any issues or questions, please ask here.

Jordan

ImageImage