Don't be Cruel take 28 with intro - original acetate

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Don't be Cruel take 28 with intro - original acetate

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Don't know it this has been covered here on FECC, but I think it's quite interesting. Never heard this intro before. It has only 237 views till now on YouTube:

Graceland 11a 0816 Small
Posted on YouTube by Graceland on July 16, 2015

This site has more nice footage. For example, I like
Gates of Graceland - Elvis in 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxk8BIYLtRo

About the acetate:

Here is a bit of background to it:

Rare Elvis Find
Posted on YouTube by WIAT42 on June 29, 2015. Up till now it has only 87 views:

The lot the lady is talking about:
1956 "Don't Be Cruel" Original Acetate with Recorded Personal Introduction by Elvis

The presented original acetate recording of Elvis' 1956 hit "Don't Be Cruel" is certainly as significant as artifacts of this nature come. It represents a key moment in Elvis' development as an artist in control of his art form. The famous July 2, 1956 RCA recording sessions for "Don't Be Cruel," "Hound Dog" and "Any Way You Want Me" saw Elvis completely take over the studio for the first time, demanding more than two dozen takes of each of the first two songs as he effectively produced them on the spot. This acetate captures Take 28 of the soon-to-be multi-million selling single. It was almost surely struck that very day because of two factors: 1) Elvis left for Memphis by train the next morning and 2) prior to the song starting we hear a personal introduction to a "Shelia Smith" recorded by Elvis, which must have been done while he was still at RCA that day. Whoever Ms. Smith was, she warranted a very personalized copy of the forthcoming track: "Shelia, I'm gonna play this record for you."

Additionally, the back of the acetate has a fascinating full recording of Elvis creating the salutation to Shelia that was eventually added to the front of the cut of "Don't Be Cruel." It appears to be the sounds of the engineers and Elvis bantering back and forth a little bit as they capture the introduction. The portion of the conversation that can be discerned is as follows:

Elvis: "Shelia, I'm gonna play this record for you."

Engineer: "We got it, we got it."

[Other voice laughs.]

Elvis: "That's easy."

[Other voice asks question, muffled and inaudible.]

Elvis: [Answering question] "Yes, sir..." [Recording trails off.]

The writing on the Audiodisc label (in an unknown hand) adds another layer of intrigue: "Elvis Presley - To Shelia Smith / Sept 26-1956 /Tupelo-Miss." This could possibly indicate it was dated for delivery, or actually delivered, at the legendary Tupelo Fairgrounds show. The possible connection to another iconic moment that summer would be the 27-hour train ride from New York to Memphis on July 3 and 4. Captured by photographer Alfred Wertheimer in a legendary group of photos, Elvis is seen listening to records for a portion of the trip. It begs the questions: was this acetate in the pile of records Elvis is seen with in his coach? Is it one of the records he's carrying as he gets off the train one stop early to walk to his home on Audubon Drive? What we know for sure is we're left with not only a rare acetate of one of Elvis' biggest hits, but an unheard of personalization by Elvis himself. This one's for you, Shelia, wherever you are. Accompanied by a letter of authenticity from Graceland Authenticated.

The acetate shows signs of age with minor scuffing and scratches, but is perfectly playable. Excellent condition overall.

------------------------

Current Bidding (Reserve Has Been Met)
Minimum Bid: $1,000.00
Final prices include buyers premium.: $5,250.00
Estimate: $3,000 - $5,000
Number Bids: 8

Lot is closed
Source: http://auction.graceland.com/1956__don_t_be_cruel__original_acetate_with_record-lot249.aspx

BONUS

Elvis Presley 12 inch Acetate for "Suspicion" from WHBQ Radio 1961
Posted on YouTube by lukecru on October 27, 2015.
Elvis Presley 12 inch Acetate for "Suspicion". This WHBQ Radio station acetate from Memphis, Tennessee hails from the radio station where disc jockey Dewey Phillips played the first Elvis Presley recording Thats Alright Mama in 1954. This extremley rare acetate is on a metal disc and plays at 78 RPM. On the reverse of the acetate is a WHBQ radio station advertisment for the Ray Charles concert in Memphis on Sunday August 20th 1961. Variety magazine reported on August 23rd "History was made in Memphis Sunday 20th when for the first time an integrated audience attended the all-negro Ray Charles show...This was the first time, moreover that the FOR COLORED ONLY banner infront of the ladies restrooms was taboo during a performance at Ellis auditorium" "Suspicion" was a great favourite of Elvis Presley as it enabled him to showcase his wide vocal range. Elvis wanted RCA to release it as a single but they refused as Terry Stafford was due to release it first. "Suspicion" was first released in the US on the LP "Pot Luck" in June 1962 with the recording session for "Suspicion" documented as taking place on March 19th 1962 together with the other Doc Pomus track "Shes not you" on the same date later to be released as a single in 1962. If the recording of "Suspicion" on this acetate is before the advertisement on the reverse of the acetate (before August 20th 1961) then it must predate the existing known earliest recording of "Suspicion". This lot is accompanied with a professionally recorded CD of the recording "Suspicion" on side 1 and also the recording of the WHBQ radio station advert for the Ray Charles concert with the Raelettes at Ellis Auditorium on Sunday August 20th 1961 on side 2. The condition of the acetate is poor to fair and there is an audio recording which you can listen to which does have audible scratches. This is an opportunity to acquire a one of a kind piece of history for Elvis Presley and his links with WHBQ Radio. We have not seen another WHBQ Elvis acetate and this was a personal favourite which it is likely he took to get plugged at the Radio station.

http://www.astonsauctioneers.co.uk/current-auctions.html
Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

danielf

Re: Don't be Cruel take 28 with intro - original acetate

Post by danielf »

This introduction was not recorded in the studio but in an interview scenario, just listen to the background noise, it's certainly not a recording studio environment.
I doubt very much this is the original acetate of Don't Be Cruel. It is likely this intro was recorded in Tupelo Sept. 56. and the 'demo' disc then made by the radio employee who was talking/interviewing Elvis before the radio interviewer passed it onto his friend named Shelia.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

danielf wrote:This introduction was not recorded in the studio but in an interview scenario, just listen to the background noise, it's certainly not a recording studio environment.
I doubt very much this is the original acetate of Don't Be Cruel. It is likely this intro was recorded in Tupelo Sept. 56. and the 'demo' disc then made by the radio employee who was talking/interviewing Elvis before the radio interviewer passed it onto his friend named Shelia.
Sounds like it is, yes.

The information that came with the lot stated:
Additionally, the back of the acetate has a fascinating full recording of Elvis creating the salutation to Shelia that was eventually added to the front of the cut of "Don't Be Cruel." It appears to be the sounds of the engineers and Elvis bantering back and forth a little bit as they capture the introduction.
It was kinda crowdy in the studio that day (July 2nd, 1956)

Recording Session July 2, 1956
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91832&view=unread#p1464125

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

danielf

Post by danielf »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
danielf wrote:This introduction was not recorded in the studio but in an interview scenario, just listen to the background noise, it's certainly not a recording studio environment.
Sounds like it is, yes.

The information that came with the lot stated:
Additionally, the back of the acetate has a fascinating full recording of Elvis creating the salutation to Shelia that was eventually added to the front of the cut of "Don't Be Cruel." It appears to be the sounds of the engineers and Elvis bantering back and forth a little bit as they capture the introduction.
It was kinda crowdy in the studio that day (July 2nd, 1956)

Recording Session July 2, 1956
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91832&view=unread#p1464125

EPE say 'it appears to be' but it is not.
Lot info provided by EPE is incorrect.
Here is the other side, quite clearly not from the recording session or any recording studio.
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/yidFDucK/file.html

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

No outtakes, no pre-take chatter, and no "Hound Dog."

Covered in detail last June:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88980&p=1400416#p1400416

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:No outtakes, no pre-take chatter, and no "Hound Dog."

I know. And I don't see anyone mentioning this would contain outtakes, pre-take chatter or Hound Dog at all. My OP quoted the Lot text:

(..) prior to the song starting we hear a personal introduction to a "Shelia Smith" recorded by Elvis, which must have been done while he was still at RCA that day. Whoever Ms. Smith was, she warranted a very personalized copy of the forthcoming track: "Shelia, I'm gonna play this record for you." (..)
Not much more. And the topic from June you point to (thanks for that!) isn't that detailed in my opinion. It doesn't lead us to the YouTube part where we can actually hear the intro the auction lot mentioned in it's text.

Had anyone heard this intro before? Had Elvis ever said in a (known) interview "Shelia, I'm gonna play this record for you."?

To me the lot sold the original acetate with take 28 of Don't Be Cruel (the Master take, anyone knows that I guess) with an intro.

Nothing more is claimed.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

danielf

Post by danielf »

Not exactly, there is no audio with those details, what do you think of my audio addition to the topic ?

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

danielf wrote:

Not exactly, there is no audio with those details, what do you think of my audio addition to the topic ?
Nice to have it in mp3 format as well. (I use the free online tool on http://www.youtube-mp3.org/nl to convert YouTube > mp3). The audio was in my OP already. You can hear it from 0:14 onwards.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:

I know. And I don't see anyone mentioning this would contain outtakes, pre-take chatter or Hound Dog at all.
You should read the June 30, 2015 news article that is quoted in my linked post, or view that YouTube video of the June 29, 2015 WIAT-TV news report, which you put in your OP. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

I know. And I don't see anyone mentioning this would contain outtakes, pre-take chatter or Hound Dog at all.
You should listen and view that YouTube video of the June 2015 news report, which you have in your OP. ;-)
Yeah, there you have a point. Never trust a sales person :wink: .

I figure I placed my YouTube clips in the right order, than :D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...