Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic


User avatar

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Posts: 7583
Registered for: 12 years
Has thanked: 2479 times
Been thanked: 6844 times

Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by MikeFromHolland »

.

Posted in this larger thread in the picture section:

Auction photos 2016
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91567&p=1460103#p1460103


Image
Elvis Presley Stage-Used Guitar from January 14, 1973 Aloha from Hawaii Concert – Given to Fan in the Front Row on July 24, 1975 in Asheville, North Carolina*


Can you spot the fan with the guitar?


* Thanks to Jove

.
Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

.


StefanKock1

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot the guitar...

Post by StefanKock1 »

Great, new, picture for me !

The fan with the guitar is right beside Elvis's right elbow (left from our view) .. you can only see the headstock.




GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Posts: 3130
Registered for: 20 years 2 months
Has thanked: 870 times
Been thanked: 514 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot the guitar...

Post by GERRY »

Tom Jones is in the audience front row



::rocks

yes the fan is holding the neck/fretboard of the guitar with his right hand
Last edited by GERRY on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.




ale
Posts: 2420
Registered for: 20 years 10 months
Been thanked: 448 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot the guitar...

Post by ale »

checking the picture carefully at Elvis waist, you can see the guy holding the guitar (?) in vertical position...seems to be the tuner
At least it seems to be a guitar :roll:



User avatar

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Posts: 7583
Registered for: 12 years
Has thanked: 2479 times
Been thanked: 6844 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot the guitar...

Post by MikeFromHolland »

.

You're all right:

Image

Image


More information:
Elvis Presley’s 1969 Custom Gibson Ebony Dove guitar is certainly one of the most culturally significant and celebrated guitars in all of music history. Elvis wielded this iconic instrument in dozens and dozens of concerts from November 1971 until September 1973 and then again in July of 1975, before famously handing it to a fan in the front row one night in Asheville, North Carolina. The Ebony Dove was the most photographed and widely seen of any of Elvis’ guitars as he played it during the January 1973 Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite concert broadcast. This very guitar made it into the homes of nearly a billion fans around the world via television that fateful night and became the iconic and visual centerpiece to one of Elvis' most triumphant moments on stage. It is surely one of the most-used guitars by Elvis on stage in the 1970s, and in addition to Aloha from Hawaii, he can be seen donning it in the documentary concert film Elvis on Tour, as well.

Image

There is no more important icon of rock 'n’ roll history than Elvis’ beloved Gibson Ebony Dove. The Dove is a flattop steel string acoustic guitar with solid maple back and sides, and a solid spruce top. The double-ring rosette styling with seven and three-ply binding adds an understated elegance. The black pick guard has a white beveled edge and the adjustable rosewood saddle with mother-of-pearl circles and stylized dove shaped emblems. The rosewood fret board with rolled edges, split parallelogram inlay is also inlaid in mother-of-pearl with the script “Elvis Presley.” The crown peghead Gibson logo, also fondly referred to as the thistle, adorns the headstock of the guitar, and a Kenpo Karate decal is affixed to the body. The Kenpo Karate Association of America decal dominates the front of the guitar. It is the hallmark of the organization founded by Elvis' longtime instructor, bodyguard and confidante Ed Parker.

Image

Based on the serial number 539461, Gibson produced the guitar near the end of 1969. According to Charlie Lawing, who in the early 1970s worked at Guitar City across the street from Graceland, Vernon Presley came into the store and wanted to buy a nice guitar for his son. The new black finish was eventually applied by the staff at Guitar City, which included Tim Keckler and Charlie, and Charlie recalls Vernon choosing the ebony color as a reference to Elvis attaining his black belt in karate. Before the color was changed, though, the guitar was sent to have the mother-of-pearl inlays on the fretboard done by guitar craftsman Randy Wood at Gruhn Guitars of Nashville. Wood recalls the guitar not yet having the black finish done when he performed his work, so it is likely this step was done after the fretboard work, when the guitar was returned to Guitar City. There is an Elvis Presley Payroll & Expense Fund check, cataloged in the Graceland Archives, which is dated September 9, 1971, is made out to Mike Ladd's Guitar City and is signed by Vernon Presley—in the memo field are written the words "Gibson Dove."

Image

While the offered guitar was a regular stage companion for Elvis from 1971 to 1973, in 1974, he had started regularly using another Gibson acoustic guitar on stage--his J-200. He would favor that guitar in 1974 and into the middle of 1975. But after famously throwing the J200 into the crowd during a show in 1975, Elvis once again returned to his old, faithful Ebony Dove—but not for long…

On July 24, 1975, during the last show of a three-night tour in Asheville, North Carolina, Elvis handed this Ebony Dove, (serial #539461), the guitar he played during Aloha from Hawaii and countless other concerts before and after, directly from the stage to our consignor, who was sitting front row center. This gesture is well documented and known among advanced Elvis collectors and Elvis historians alike—our consignor has been interviewed by various media over the years. As he recalls, Elvis was barely into "See See Rider," the first song, when his wife told him, "Elvis keeps looking at you." Elvis then pointed at him, called him to the stage and handed him the guitar. Feeling especially generous that evening, Elvis proceeded to give another gentleman a ring and brought a woman on stage and gave her a ring, as well. Two songs later, Elvis came to the edge of the stage and bent down. He once again pointed at our consignor, who feared it was time to give the guitar back. With Charlie Hodge holding his collar, Elvis said, "You keep the guitar. I gave it to you for a reason. Someday it will help you out." Our consignor spent the rest of the show nervously clutching the guitar between his legs, as can be seen in the news photo shown here. He was granted a police escort out of the concert and made it home safely with one of the greatest concert souvenirs of all time. This treasured symbol of musical legend has been safely tucked away in a bank vault from that memorable day in 1975 until now, making the occassional appearance at a family get together or media interview.

Image Image
Source: http://auction.graceland.com/elvis_presley_stage_used_guitar_from_january_14__1-lot532.aspx


Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

.


ale
Posts: 2420
Registered for: 20 years 10 months
Been thanked: 448 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot the guitar...

Post by ale »

is that TJ really??



User avatar

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Posts: 7583
Registered for: 12 years
Has thanked: 2479 times
Been thanked: 6844 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot the guitar...

Post by MikeFromHolland »



Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

.

User avatar

drjohncarpenter
Posts: 107380
Registered for: 21 years
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 11772 times
Been thanked: 34181 times
Age: 89

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot the guitar...

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:Posted in this larger thread in the picture section:

Auction photos 2016
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91567&p=1460103#p1460103


Image
Elvis Presley Stage-Used Guitar from January 14, 1973 Aloha from Hawaii Concert – Given to Fan in the Front Row on July 24, 1975 in Asheville, North Carolina*


Can you spot the fan with the guitar?


* Thanks to Jove
Yup, he's seen just by Elvis' right elbow. Read all about his guitar gift from this 7-24-1975 show on Scotty Moore's official site:

Elvis' 1969 Ebony Custom Gibson Dove
http://www.scottymoore.net/ep69dove.html

GERRY wrote:Tom Jones is in the audience front row ...
The guy you speak of is not in the front row, and is definitely NOT singer Tom Jones.


.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

User avatar

Chad Gates
Posts: 1110
Registered for: 21 years
Location: Leeds, England
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 272 times
Age: 62

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by Chad Gates »

You could add a new challenge for Elvis, Spot the audience.
Hint:- They are behind you :P .

Alan.



User avatar

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Posts: 7583
Registered for: 12 years
Has thanked: 2479 times
Been thanked: 6844 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by MikeFromHolland »

.
Read all about his guitar gift from this 7-24-1975 show on Scotty Moore's official site:

Elvis' 1969 Ebony Custom Gibson Dove
http://www.scottymoore.net/ep69dove.html
Fantastic site, fantastic page!

.


Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

.

User avatar

EagleUSA
Posts: 1892
Registered for: 21 years
Location: In the building
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot the guitar...

Post by EagleUSA »


Directly above Ronnie's head, about one inch, as measured in the pic, there is a policeman. Just to the right of him sits a man who looks like Tom Jones. He's sitting with a woman on his right. On the other hand, it could be Forrest Gump. :lol:


Eagle

User avatar

Mister Mike
Posts: 3887
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Somewhere in Frenchie Canada
Has thanked: 1642 times
Been thanked: 1630 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by Mister Mike »

Where's Waldo?


Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.


FVH
Posts: 620
Registered for: 20 years 9 months
Location: Mo i Rana, Norway
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by FVH »

It's just plain wrong that that guitar is auctioned away...
It belongs in Graceland.



User avatar

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Posts: 7583
Registered for: 12 years
Has thanked: 2479 times
Been thanked: 6844 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by MikeFromHolland »

.

Just saw this picture with an overview of the audience on July 24, 1975:

1975 07 24 Asheville audience.jpg

The caption said:

A large crowed packed the U.S. Cellular Center (then called the Civic Center) when Elvis Presley came to town in 1975.
(Photo: Bill Sanders)

The article that went with it:
Viva Ashevegas! celebrates Elvis in Asheville
9:13 a.m. EDT July 23, 2015 - Emily Patrick, epatrick@citizen-times.com

Forty years ago, the King came to Asheville.

The memory of Elvis Presley’s visit here in 1975, which resulted in three performances, still looms large. In fact, a fundraiser for Grateful Steps Foundation celebrates the anniversary on July 30 at The Orange Peel with storytelling, silent auction, music and dancing.

“I grew up here, and I was too young to go to the Elvis concert, but I remember hearing legends about it for years afterward,” said Jon Elliston, a local writer, editor and historian who is organizing the benefit event. “With the advent of the Internet, Facebook in particular, all of a sudden all these local people have shared even more of their memories.”

The event includes an open mic session, so people who attended the concert can share those stories. Apparently, it was a wild event. Asheville clamored for tickets, and the concert that was originally scheduled for one day stretched into three with about 22,000 tickets sold, according to the Asheville Citizen.

Presley had already descended into drug and alcohol abuse, and two years and three months later, he was dead. But the concert marked the first time Presley had come to town in nearly 20 years, so the King’s descent barely quelled the excitement, especially since the Asheville Civic Center had just been completed in 1974.

“It was a real milestone in Asheville history to build this arena and suddenly have the King of Rock and Roll for three nights in a row,” Elliston said. “I think it’s a really meaningful set of memories for folks because he did spend so much time interacting with people here, and the Asheville Civic Center was very new at the time.”

Even the City of Asheville will join in to honor Presley’s visit. A proclamation will name July 30 “Elvis in Asheville Day.” The city will present the document at its July 28 City Council meeting.

Although Presley will never return, local Elvis impersonator Carlo Martini will perform several songs at the gathering and release his memoir, published by Grateful Steps, which chronicles a lifelong love of Elvis and music in general.

Afterward, Whitney Shroyer, better known as DJ Dr. Filth when he spins records at The Admiral, will play an Elvis-inspired set for dancing and general revelry.

For this night, he goes by DJ Hunka Hunka — as in the Presley hit “Hunka Hunka Burning Love.”

“I wanted him to be DJ ’Nanner Puddin,’” Elliston said. “That was Elvis’ favorite dessert.”

The music will also include recordings from the 1975 concert, preserved on a little-known CD released as “Gyrating Asheville.”
Source: http://www.citizen-times.com/story/entertainment/2015/07/23/viva-ashevegas-celebrates-elvis-asheville/30559375/

.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

.

User avatar

charro1971
Posts: 1144
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 191 times
Age: 29

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by charro1971 »

FVH wrote:It's just plain wrong that that guitar is auctioned away...
It belongs in Graceland.
Definitely. It's perhaps Elvis' most famous guitar. As a fan of guitars it would be one of the things I would most want to see at Graceland. It's puzzling why EPE aren't interested in buying such a historic and famous item.


"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

User avatar

LesterB
Posts: 2211
Registered for: 18 years
Location: At the gates of Graceland
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by LesterB »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

Just saw this picture with an overview of the audience on July 24, 1975:

1975 07 24 Asheville audience.jpg

The caption said:

A large crowed packed the U.S. Cellular Center (then called the Civic Center) when Elvis Presley came to town in 1975.
(Photo: Bill Sanders)

The article that went with it:
Viva Ashevegas! celebrates Elvis in Asheville
9:13 a.m. EDT July 23, 2015 - Emily Patrick, epatrick@citizen-times.com

Forty years ago, the King came to Asheville.

The memory of Elvis Presley’s visit here in 1975, which resulted in three performances, still looms large. In fact, a fundraiser for Grateful Steps Foundation celebrates the anniversary on July 30 at The Orange Peel with storytelling, silent auction, music and dancing.

“I grew up here, and I was too young to go to the Elvis concert, but I remember hearing legends about it for years afterward,” said Jon Elliston, a local writer, editor and historian who is organizing the benefit event. “With the advent of the Internet, Facebook in particular, all of a sudden all these local people have shared even more of their memories.”

The event includes an open mic session, so people who attended the concert can share those stories. Apparently, it was a wild event. Asheville clamored for tickets, and the concert that was originally scheduled for one day stretched into three with about 22,000 tickets sold, according to the Asheville Citizen.

Presley had already descended into drug and alcohol abuse, and two years and three months later, he was dead. But the concert marked the first time Presley had come to town in nearly 20 years, so the King’s descent barely quelled the excitement, especially since the Asheville Civic Center had just been completed in 1974.

“It was a real milestone in Asheville history to build this arena and suddenly have the King of Rock and Roll for three nights in a row,” Elliston said. “I think it’s a really meaningful set of memories for folks because he did spend so much time interacting with people here, and the Asheville Civic Center was very new at the time.”

Even the City of Asheville will join in to honor Presley’s visit. A proclamation will name July 30 “Elvis in Asheville Day.” The city will present the document at its July 28 City Council meeting.

Although Presley will never return, local Elvis impersonator Carlo Martini will perform several songs at the gathering and release his memoir, published by Grateful Steps, which chronicles a lifelong love of Elvis and music in general.

Afterward, Whitney Shroyer, better known as DJ Dr. Filth when he spins records at The Admiral, will play an Elvis-inspired set for dancing and general revelry.

For this night, he goes by DJ Hunka Hunka — as in the Presley hit “Hunka Hunka Burning Love.”

“I wanted him to be DJ ’Nanner Puddin,’” Elliston said. “That was Elvis’ favorite dessert.”

The music will also include recordings from the 1975 concert, preserved on a little-known CD released as “Gyrating Asheville.”
Source: http://www.citizen-times.com/story/entertainment/2015/07/23/viva-ashevegas-celebrates-elvis-asheville/30559375/

.
Thanks for this.
I didn't know Elvis abused alcohol - what a load of rubbish. Moreover, this was one of the last times that Elvis sounded almost drug free in a concert. These were decent shows too and included a blistering live version of Promised Land; never again would Elvis sound this good :?


JUST FOR TODAY

User avatar

drjohncarpenter
Posts: 107380
Registered for: 21 years
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 11772 times
Been thanked: 34181 times
Age: 89

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot the guitar...

Post by drjohncarpenter »

EagleUSA wrote:Directly above Ronnie's head, about one inch, as measured in the pic, there is a policeman. Just to the right of him sits a man who looks like Tom Jones. He's sitting with a woman on his right. On the other hand, it could be Forrest Gump. :lol:
For those still confused, the guy is definitely NOT singer Tom Jones.


.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

User avatar

jurasic1968
Posts: 12423
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Has thanked: 13656 times
Been thanked: 2604 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by jurasic1968 »

Why should Tom Jones wanted to see Elvis in Asheville ? He already saw him many times in Las Vegas.



User avatar

EagleUSA
Posts: 1892
Registered for: 21 years
Location: In the building
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Nice July 24, 1975 Asheville pic. Spot Tom Jones...

Post by EagleUSA »

:lol: It's entirely possible :roll: ... not.


Eagle