Personal Story 1: Elvis and Patsy McNutt - Aug 2, 1955

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Personal Story 1: Elvis and Patsy McNutt - Aug 2, 1955

Post by MikeFromHolland »

With the term "Personal Story" in the Subject Title, I want to bring forward some pictures I found on the internet, that has personal story's attached to them. Nice little anecdotes from normal people, who share some memories on personal pages or blogs.

Today a picture made in Sheffield, Alabama on August 2, 1955 (according to A Boy From Tupelo).
1955 08 02 - Sheffield, Alabama. Patsy McNutt (on the left), Sue Sugg and Lina Sugg.jpg

The lady on the left is Patsy Mc Nutt. Her son (Trey Barrineau) placed this picture on his personal blog. The other ladies are Sue Sugg and Lina Sugg. Trey Barrineau writes:
This photo of my mother with Elvis was snapped after a concert in Sheffield, Ala., in 1955 — a few months before the young singer from humble beginnings in Tupelo, Miss., would generate the kind of hysteria that would make a semi-intimate fan photo like this almost impossible. Then, he was just a handsome up-and-comer who was part of a multi-act touring show. After the release of Heartbreak Hotel in early 1956, the world would never be the same.

As for Patsy, the young student from humble beginnings in Haleyville, Ala., obviously didn’t achieve international fame, but she did become an award-winning educator and a wonderful mother. She was only a slight fan of Elvis’ music (I think we owned maybe two of his albums), but his death, falling on the day she crossed over to middle age, clearly affected her. She seemed more stunned than mournful, perhaps because the demise at 42 of the larger-than-life personality who once briefly clasped her hand was an intimate reminder that youth is fleeting, and death can arrive when we least expect it.

Sadly, my mother’s own death came far too early as well — 14 years later, at the age of 54. And unlike Elvis’, it wasn’t sudden; cancer, not an overdose, was the culprit.

These two vastly disparate lives crossed paths just once. Fortunately for me and my family, that fleeting moment is memorialized in this photo.

It’s impossible for me to look at it without feeling wonder and sadness at the trajectory of both their lives, especially for the life of the woman whose face I carry, and whose loss remains a spiritual wound that has barely healed.

Source for this blog: http://barrineaublog.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Jove
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Re: Personal Story: Elvis and Patsy, Jan 19, 1955

Post by Jove »

Thanks for posting the blog although I had seen this photo before and had it dated Aug. 2, 1955. I could be wrong.

Scratch me now a little lower

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Re: Personal Story: Elvis and Patsy, Jan 19, 1955

Jove wrote:Thanks for posting the blog although I had seen this photo before and had it dated Aug. 2, 1955. I could be wrong.

The pic was posted in 2010 already on the net, so it's indeed not new. I posted it in combination with the personal story to give it a bit 'extra'.

I can also be wrong what the date concerns. The story only names the town and the year. So if he played Sheffield on August 2, 1955 as well. That could also be correct. I don't know for sure.

Can someone tell what the real date is, please?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Delors21
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Personal Story: Elvis and Patsy, Jan 19, or Aug 2, 1955

Post by Delors21 »

Yes, Elvis was in January, 19th in Sheffield, AL. Performing in The Community Centre

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

Delors21 wrote:Yes, Elvis was in January, 19th in Sheffield, AL. Performing in The Community Centre

Yeah but he was also there on August 2, and on November 15. For the clothes they are wearing seems more like August to me.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

So it can be January 19, August 2 or November 15 in 1955.

A Boy From Tupelo says August 2, 1955 according to Bob, and we know that a lot of research has been put into this book. They even have all the names of the ladies in the pic. (Indeed nice names Bob :D ).

Ah, if only The Boy From Tupelo had an index... :wink:

So I'll use August 2, 1955 from now on in my dBase. And I shall correct the title and my OP.

It was only my intention to share the story behind the pic (as far as shared on the net). To learn new things by doing this is a very welcome side effect.

Thanks to you all!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Re: Personal Story 1: Elvis and Patsy McNutt - Aug 2, 1955

Fixed the photo a bit:
7F4E7E49-4284-4A29-BEF9-75CB5EBA11A9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...