Hey Doc, I've gotta ask..

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, drjohncarpenter, Site Mechanic

Topic author
RDM
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Hey Doc, I've gotta ask..

Post by RDM »

I love Elvis comps. I've made more than a few with different decades and genres represented.
If you are willing and have the time I'd love to have a cd compiled from your favorites.
If you were tasked with making an 80 minute cd based on your favorites , what would you pick?
I don't mean to hold you down to a top 10 etc, just a list of what you'd want if you had to make a compilation for a road trip or a listening experience at home. I realize that your list may differ depending on mood etc, so as of today what would be your picks?

I'd like to hear your choices based on whatever criteria you choose.
You may have cuts that I haven't fully appreciated or overlooked which is my main goal with this request.

Educate me!

Thanks in advance.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Hey Doc, I've gotta ask..

Post by drjohncarpenter »

RDM wrote:I love Elvis comps. I've made more than a few with different decades and genres represented.
If you are willing and have the time I'd love to have a cd compiled from your favorites.
If you were tasked with making an 80 minute cd based on your favorites , what would you pick?
I don't mean to hold you down to a top 10 etc, just a list of what you'd want if you had to make a compilation for a road trip or a listening experience at home. I realize that your list may differ depending on mood etc, so as of today what would be your picks?

You may have cuts that I haven't fully appreciated or overlooked which is my main goal with this request.

Educate me!

Thanks in advance.
Hey, if you've signed up here I'm sure you know tons about our guy. You may find it funny I've seldom made such compilations, I just grab a few RCA or FTD discs and let the fur fly. Sometimes I might even spin an "import" or two! Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight is a superb overview with great sound, and that is my current recommendation to any "newbie" who wants to go a bit outside of a hits collection. It's really beautiful, inside and out.

That said, I was pretty proud of a 2xCD set list I created a few years back. It had to adhere to certain guidelines and, even today, I think it's pretty darned good. Please read what I crafted, and why, and tell me what you think. It offers 60 songs total.

Elvis - At Your Request
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38553

Here's another nice, kind of "best of the 1970s" set list you may dig, it runs to 35 titles:

For epf: Felton Jarvis Hits, 1970-1976
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48599

And, if you are a masochist, this one is pretty much a "worst of the 1970s" rundown, also exactly 35 songs:

For minkahed: Felton Jarvis Misses, 1970-1976
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48576

::rocks
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Vince_Everett
Formerly Dutch Fireworks
Registered for: 10 years

Post by Vince_Everett »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
RDM wrote:I love Elvis comps. I've made more than a few with different decades and genres represented.

Educate me!

Thanks in advance.
Hey, if you've signed up here I'm sure you know tons about our guy. You may find it funny I've seldom made such compilations, I just grab a few RCA or FTD discs and let the fur fly. Sometimes I might even spin an "import" or two! Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight is a superb overview with great sound, and that is my current recommendation to any "newbie" who wants to go a bit outside of a hits collection. It's really beautiful, inside and out.

That said, I was pretty proud of a 2xCD set list I created a few years back. It had to adhere to certain guidelines and, even today, I think it's pretty darned good. Please read what I crafted, and why, and tell me what you think. It offers 60 songs total.

Elvis - At Your Request
It's a very strong list. I hadn't seen it before. But if I may ask, why no "Way Down"?

Mama she done told me, Papa done told me too: 'Son, that gal you're foolin' with, she ain't no good for you!'

drjohncarpenter

Vince_Everett wrote:It's a very strong list. I hadn't seen it before. But if I may ask, why no "Way Down"?
Shoot, I screwed up my reply a bit, now fixed. Which one of these are you asking about?

Elvis - At Your Request

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Vince_Everett
Formerly Dutch Fireworks

Post by Vince_Everett »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Vince_Everett wrote:It's a very strong list. I hadn't seen it before. But if I may ask, why no "Way Down"?
Shoot, I screwed up my reply a bit, now fixed. Which one of these are you asking about?

Elvis - At Your Request

The "Felton Jarvis Hits" thread!

Mama she done told me, Papa done told me too: 'Son, that gal you're foolin' with, she ain't no good for you!'

drjohncarpenter

Got it, thanks!
I felt that the four I selected from his 1976 sessions were best:

For the Heart
Hurt
Danny Boy
Pledging My Love

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Vince_Everett
Formerly Dutch Fireworks

Post by Vince_Everett »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Got it, thanks!

For the Heart
Hurt
Danny Boy
Pledging My Love
Hmm. I'd pick "Way Down" over "Danny Boy" or "Pledging My Love" any day of the week. But oh well, it's all about personal preference. I dig the list.

drjohncarpenter

Vince_Everett wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Got it, thanks!

For the Heart
Hurt
Danny Boy
Pledging My Love
Hmm. I'd pick "Way Down" over "Danny Boy" or "Pledging My Love" any day of the week. But oh well, it's all about personal preference. I dig the list.
His singing is far better, and the material superior, that is why they made my list.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
RDM
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by RDM »

Your "At Your Request" list is fairly similar to some I've put together. My comps would probably have a few more movie cuts. I don't have some of the exact versions of those cuts that you do but the songs listed are among my favorites. I'm glad to see "Is It So Strange" made your top 20.

You definitely listed many of my favorite '70's picks on the Felton Jarvis hits list.

I've heard so many of the officially released compilations that I sometimes stray from some of the well known hits and include some lesser known songs. I've occasionally done random out of sequence comps but I seem to enjoy them better when they are done in original recording order.

Thanks for linking to your lists! Very solid pics.

drjohncarpenter

RDM wrote:Your "At Your Request" list is fairly similar to some I've put together. My comps would probably have a few more movie cuts. I don't have some of the exact versions of those cuts that you do but the songs listed are among my favorites. I'm glad to see "Is It So Strange" made your top 20.

You definitely listed many of my favorite '70's picks on the Felton Jarvis hits list.

I've heard so many of the officially released compilations that I sometimes stray from some of the well known hits and include some lesser known songs. I've occasionally done random out of sequence comps but I seem to enjoy them better when they are done in original recording order.

Thanks for linking to your lists! Very solid pics.
Thank you for asking, it is a pleasure to share our favorites!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Doc, I seem to remember you held the song, "Way Down", in high regard and you being quite surprised on how you reacted, (not bad) with the single, when played on the radio, summer of '77.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth