"When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic



Topic author
Mister Moon

"When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by Mister Moon »

According to Wikipedia, "When The Swallows Come Back To Capistrano" was first recorded in 1940, by The Ink Spots.

Following the original 1940 recording, the song was revisited by many artists, from very varied backgrounds : Glenn Miller, Pat Boone, Xavier Cugat, The Five Satins, Bobby Day, Jorge Negrete, and others.

Elvis recorded this title informally at home in 1960. The resulting cut is lo-fi at best, but interesting nevertheless.

Now that we're on a McPhatter kick, here's the sublime version by The Dominoes, featuring Clyde on lead vocal.

This gem was cut and released in 1952. It was the group's fifth single for the Federal label. Their next would be the legendary, and very influential, "Have Mercy Baby".

..



User avatar

drjohncarpenter
Posts: 107879
Joined: 21 years 2 months
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 11902 times
Been thanked: 34989 times
Age: 89

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mister Moon wrote:According to Wikipedia, "When The Swallows Come Back To Capistrano" was first recorded in 1940, by The Ink Spots.

Following the original 1940 recording, the song was revisited by many artists, from very varied backgrounds : Glenn Miller, Pat Boone, Xavier Cugat, The Five Satins, Bobby Day, Jorge Negrete, and others.

Elvis recorded this title informally at home in 1960. The resulting cut is lo-fi at best, but interesting nevertheless.

Now that we're on a McPhatter kick, here's the sublime version by The Dominoes, featuring Clyde on lead vocal.

This gem was cut and released in 1952. It was the group's fifth single for the Federal label. Their next would be the legendary, and very influential, "Have Mercy Baby".

..
Nice post! It seems clear that the 1952 release is the one that captured Presley's imagination, he just loved McPhatter's voice. And the song stayed with him through the years, enough so that you can hear one-liners of him singing it in sessions in 1966 and 1968, namely:

"Adam and Evil" - 2-16-1966, Radio Recorders
"Smorgasbord" - 2-17-1966, Radio Recorders
"Big Boss Man" - 6-20-1968, Western Recorders


.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!


Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote: ... you can hear one-liners of him singing it in sessions in 1966 and 1968, namely:

"Adam and Evil" - 2-16-1966, Radio Recorders
"Smorgasbord" - 2-17-1966, Radio Recorders
"Big Boss Man" - 6-20-1968, Western Recorders
Many thanks for this information. Very nice to know this.

Hey, my vote for the all-time greatest Elvis one-liner goes for "Flyin' Saucer Rock & Roll", during the "Datin'" session. If Elvis was ever close to surrealism, this was THE moment.

Thanks again.



User avatar

drjohncarpenter
Posts: 107879
Joined: 21 years 2 months
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 11902 times
Been thanked: 34989 times
Age: 89

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: ... you can hear one-liners of him singing it in sessions in 1966 and 1968, namely:

"Adam and Evil" - 2-16-1966, Radio Recorders
"Smorgasbord" - 2-17-1966, Radio Recorders
"Big Boss Man" - 6-20-1968, Western Recorders
Many thanks for this information. Very nice to know this.

Hey, my vote for the all-time greatest Elvis one-liner goes for "Flyin' Saucer Rock & Roll", during the "Datin'" session. If Elvis was ever close to surrealism, this was THE moment.

Thanks again.
My vote might go to "Surfin' Bird" during the "Going Home" session in January 1968. He was speaking in tongues then. ;-)


.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!


Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: ... you can hear one-liners of him singing it in sessions in 1966 and 1968, namely:

"Adam and Evil" - 2-16-1966, Radio Recorders
"Smorgasbord" - 2-17-1966, Radio Recorders
"Big Boss Man" - 6-20-1968, Western Recorders
Many thanks for this information. Very nice to know this.

Hey, my vote for the all-time greatest Elvis one-liner goes for "Flyin' Saucer Rock & Roll", during the "Datin'" session. If Elvis was ever close to surrealism, this was THE moment.

Thanks again.
My vote might go to "Surfin' Bird" during the "Going Home" session in January 1968. He was speaking in tongues then. ;-)
Not a bad one, either !

Somebody should do a compilation of those bits, really.

"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" also appears in several sessions, starting with June '58. Doing a little googleing, I've found that it was recorded by around 200 different artists, starting 100 years ago. One of the many people who did it was Bing Crosby.

The song was also used as the theme song for a radio show, for several years, so maybe this is how it stuck in Elvis' (everybody's) memory.



User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 5848
Joined: 17 years 1 month
Location: antarctica
Has thanked: 478 times
Been thanked: 3661 times
Age: 100

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by colonel snow »

The original version was recorded in april 1940 by:
Ceelle Burke's Orchestra with vocal Ceelle Burke & the Rhythmettes (Ammor 111 / Exclusive 102 / Varsity 8313).
He recorded a version on Decca 3173 but this version wasn't released.
The Ink Spots recorded their version on 13-05-40 (Decca 3195).

A lot more recordings will follow in may 1940 including:

16-05-40 Ray Herbeck & his Music with Romance with vocal Ray Olsen (Vocalion 5568);
20-05-40 Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians (Decca 3213);
21-05-40 Gene Krupa & his Orchestra with vocal Howard Dulany (Columbia 35520);
22-05-40 Larry Clinton and his Orchestra (Victor 26634);
27-05-40 Xavier Cugat & his Waldorf-Astoria Orchestra with vocal Dinah Shore (Victor 26641);
28-05-40 Tony Martin & Ray Sinatra Orchestra (Decca 3246);
29-05-40 Dick Todd (Bluebird 10769).

colonel snow




Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by Mister Moon »

Thanks for the additional information, Colonel Snow !!

Very interesting to see that within just seventeen days in May 1940, eight versions of the song were recorded, many of them under the same labels.



User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 5848
Joined: 17 years 1 month
Location: antarctica
Has thanked: 478 times
Been thanked: 3661 times
Age: 100

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by colonel snow »

More from 1940:

04-06-40 Jack Leonard (Okeh 5631);
13-06-40 Glenn Miller Orchestra with vocal Ray Eberle (Bluebird 10776);
24-06-40 Bobby Byrne's Orchestra with vocal Jimmy Palmer (Decca 3278);
00-06-40 Marco Rosales (Varsity 8338);
28-08-40 Gene Autry (Conqueror 9546/Okeh 5780).


colonel snow



User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 5848
Joined: 17 years 1 month
Location: antarctica
Has thanked: 478 times
Been thanked: 3661 times
Age: 100

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by colonel snow »

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: ... you can hear one-liners of him singing it in sessions in 1966 and 1968, namely:

"Adam and Evil" - 2-16-1966, Radio Recorders
"Smorgasbord" - 2-17-1966, Radio Recorders
"Big Boss Man" - 6-20-1968, Western Recorders
Many thanks for this information. Very nice to know this.

Hey, my vote for the all-time greatest Elvis one-liner goes for "Flyin' Saucer Rock & Roll", during the "Datin'" session. If Elvis was ever close to surrealism, this was THE moment.

Thanks again.
My vote might go to "Surfin' Bird" during the "Going Home" session in January 1968. He was speaking in tongues then. ;-)
Not a bad one, either !

Somebody should do a compilation of those bits, really.

"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" also appears in several sessions, starting with June '58. Doing a little googleing, I've found that it was recorded by around 200 different artists, starting 100 years ago. One of the many people who did it was Bing Crosby.

The song was also used as the theme song for a radio show, for several years, so maybe this is how it stuck in Elvis' (everybody's) memory.
When my Irish eyes are smiling / The original version was recorded on 25-02-13 by Chauncey Olcott (Columbia 1310).


colonel snow




Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by Mister Moon »

colonel snow wrote: When Irish eyes are smiling / The original version was recorded on 25-02-13 by Chauncey Olcott (Columbia 1310).
Chauncey Olcott ?

Man, and I thought Emmett Miller was obscure !!! Well, Olcott has his own Wikipedia entry, too...

Really, there's a wealth of modern culture - not just music, but also movies - from WW2 backwards that just doesn't get the recognition it deserves. It's becoming more and more covered by the sands of time.

Where do you get all this information, Colonel ? Can you recommend us a website, for example ?

Many thanks again for your input.



User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 5848
Joined: 17 years 1 month
Location: antarctica
Has thanked: 478 times
Been thanked: 3661 times
Age: 100

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by colonel snow »

A lot can be found here but the dates are sometimes written in European way and English way in the same song.

colonel snow


http://musiktiteldb.de/




Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by Mister Moon »

colonel snow wrote:A lot can be found here but the dates are sometimes written in European way and English way in the same song.

colonel snow


http://musiktiteldb.de/
What an impressive database !!

Thanks a lot, colonel snow, for sharing this link.



User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 5848
Joined: 17 years 1 month
Location: antarctica
Has thanked: 478 times
Been thanked: 3661 times
Age: 100

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by colonel snow »

here you'll find information about original versions of Elvis' songs.


colonel snow

http://davidneale.eu/elvis/originals/




Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by Mister Moon »

colonel snow wrote:here you'll find information about original versions of Elvis' songs.


colonel snow

http://davidneale.eu/elvis/originals/
I know this one, Colonel, but thanks anyway for sharing it !!



User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 5848
Joined: 17 years 1 month
Location: antarctica
Has thanked: 478 times
Been thanked: 3661 times
Age: 100

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by colonel snow »

Another great site with information.

colonel snow


http://www.78discography.com/




Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "When The Swallows..." - Dominoes feat. McPhatter

Post by Mister Moon »

colonel snow wrote:Another great site with information.

colonel snow


http://www.78discography.com/
Thanks again, Colonel !