The Beatles - Stereo versus Mono comparisons

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

The Beatles - Stereo versus Mono comparisons

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Very good well-researched ,compiled video for Beatles purists. This 7 minute vid highlights the differences with their stereo versus mono mixes.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Re: The Beatles - Stereo versus Mono comparisons

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

from Steve Hoffman Music forums comes this post by afterm.ath my life worth a read:

PLEASE PLEASE ME

Please Please Me
-John flubs a line in the stereo mix and chuckles on the first "come on" Horribly off synch in the ending

WITH THE BEATLES

Hold Me Tight -Missing vocal harmony overdub on last "you, you, youuuu" in the mono mix

Money -Piano sounds different comparing both mixes. -Guitar starts earlier in the stereo mix

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT

I Should Have Known Better
-Harmonica breaks off abruptly in the intro in the stereo mix, before John starts singing. -The lines

Ohhh, and when I ask you to be mine You're gonna say you love me too

is double-tracked in mono, but more single-tracked in stereo

If I Fell -John's intro vocal double tracked in stereo, single tracked in mono -Paul's voice cracks in the second "vain" in stereo, but his voice is fine in mono

Tell Me Why

-Very noticeable reverb in stereo not heard in mono

When I Get Home -US Mono has a prolonged "walk" on "till I waaaalk out that door". UK Mono and Stereo versions are normal.

BEATLES FOR SALE

Every Little Thing
. -Someone is tapping on the guitar (intro part) in the mono mix not heard in stereo.

I Don't Want To Spoil The Party -The electric guitar is buried in the mono mix, but in front of the mix in stereo.

HELP

Help! -Entirely different vocal take.

MONO: AND now these days are gone STEREO: BUT now these days are gone -No tambourine in the mono mix

The Night Before -The organ is louder than the guitar in mono, and the opposite is for stereo.

Ticket To Ride -Longer fadeout in stereo

It's Only Love -The first "only" at about 0:43 has the double-tracked "only" cut off from the mono and 1965 stereo mix, but this has been restored in the 1987 mix.

RUBBER SOUL

Drive My Car -Cowbell almost inaudible in the mono mix (especially in the fadeout), but it is very loud and clear in the stereo mix.

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - A cough is heard between the lines

She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere and So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair

that is only heard on the mono mix.

You Won't See Me -Longer fadeout in mono

Michelle -Longer fadeout in stereo

What Goes On -Additional guitar part at the end of the song only in stereo mixes

Girl -Slightly longer fadeout in mono

I'm Looking Through You
- Longer fadeout in mono

Run For Your Life
-Noticeably longer fadeout in mono. Stereo is about 9 seconds shorter.

REVOLVER

Taxman - Cowbell starts at "too small" in mono, but in stereo, it doesn't start until "Yeah I'm"

I'm Only Sleeping - Backwards guitar comes on and off at different points (I am not showing the exact parts where the BG comes on, it would be too long and complicated)

Love You To
- Longer fadeout in mono

Yellow Submarine - Guitar starts at the same time as Ringo sings in mono, but in stereo, it starts on the word "town" -"A life of ease" vocal retort by John missing in stereo mixes (1966, 1987, and 2009 only. 1999 and 2015 mixes have the missing vocal.)

Good Day Sunshine
- No bass drum in the outro in stereo

And Your Bird Can Sing - Slightly different mono mix in US compared to UK. Guitars are mixed louder in US. Stereo is the same.

Doctor Robert - Different "well well well" harmonies mixing. Only the US mono has maracas on that part.

Got To Get You Into My Life - Different Paul vocal in fadeout in both versions, longer fadeout in mono

SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With A Little Help From My Friends - Audience noises are different in both versions, slightly smoother transition in stereo mix

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Slower (and lower pitch) in mono, heavy flanger effect in mono not present in stereo mix

Fixing A Hole - Longer fadeout in mono

She's Leaving Home - Mono version is sped up an entire step. (F. Stereo is in E.)

Within You Without You - Laughing sounds come on and off at different points in mono and stereo mixes.

Lovely Rita - Slower and lower pitch in mono. -Buried "aaahhhhh" by Paul in intro in the mono mix. -Orgasmic sounds fade out earlier in mono, missing the last "aaaaahhhhhh" in the coda. -Paul's "oooohhh" during the piano solo is slightly quieter in the mono mix.

Good Morning Good Morning - Higher pitch in stereo, slightly faster

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) - Overdubbed two-note guitar lick in mono (transition from GMGM), in stereo it's badly spliced and the first note is cut off - Audible speech from John before "1-2-3-4" in mono, not in stereo - Audience laugh in mono, crowd noise in stereo (no laughs) - Paul screaming at the end is very audible in mono, but buried very deep in the mix, almost inaudible, in stereo. - Smoother transition to A Day In The Life in mono

A Day In The Life -Orchestral swell more abrupt in mono

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR

Blue Jay Way - No backwards vocals in mono, but present in stereo

Your Mother Should Know - Flanger effect in mono not present in stereo

I Am The Walrus - Intro has 4 bars in mono, and 6 in stereo

Baby You're A Rich Man
- Spin Echo/Whirling Feedback effect after "far as the eye can see" and "often enough to know" only heard in mono mix. Not heard in any stereo mix (1971 German HorZu and 1999 YSS)

All You Need Is Love
- Very long fadeout in mono. Greensleeves plays twice. Stereo is noticeably shorter and Greensleeves only plays once.

THE BEATLES (THE WHITE ALBUM)

Back In The USSR - Aircraft sounds are different in both versions

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da -No handclaps in mono intro

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Heavy guitar flanger only heard in mono

I'm So Tired - Paul's vocals are more prominent and louder in the mono mix, whereas stereo mix has it more equal.

Blackbird
- Chirping sounds come on and off at different points in both versions

Piggies - Oinking sounds come on and off at different points in both versions

Don't Pass Me By - Mono version is clearly sped up (as with SLH)

Why Don't We Do It In The Road? - Handclaps in stereo mix, not present in mono

I Will - Mouthbass missing in first verse of the mono mix

Sexy Sadie - First tambourine beat missing in mono mix

Helter Skelter - Stereo version is almost a minute longer -Mono lacks the "I've got blisters on my fingers!"

Honey Pie - At about 1:43, there is a guitar part in the mono mix not present in the stereo mix.

MONO MASTERS

I Call Your Name - Cowbell immediately starts in mono mix, but in stereo, it starts on the line "but you're not there"

Slow Down - Electric Guitar is almost inaudible in the mono mix, but it's loud and clear in stereo

Matchbox -Ringo's double-tracked vocal sounds slightly different in the stereo mix

I Feel Fine -Longer fadeout in mono

I'm Down -Longer fadeout in mono

Day Tripper -Longer fadeout in mono

Paperback Writer -Echo effect different in mono

The Inner Light - Indian instruments sound slightly different in both versions, mono slightly quieter

Hey Jude - Longer fadeout in mono

Only A Northern Song -??? (Apparently had a difference where George's vocal was somehow cut off in the (stereo???) mix)

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-beatles-mono-vs-stereo-mixes-differences-complete.633325/

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

8 Mono 8 Good Songs -

00:00 1 please please me , mono*orig.
02:01 2 eleanor rigby , mono*orig.
04:09 3 for no one , mono*orig.
06:10 4 if i needed someone , mono*orig.
08:31 5 i am happy just to dance with you , mono*orig.
10:26 6 getting better , mono*orig.
13:13 7 fixing a hole , mono*orig.
15:52 8 words of love (cover), mono*orig.
~
this version wolfhaupt masterings from
the greatest original mono recordings .

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

THE BEATLES – Yesterday And Today LP Mono 1966 (Peeled Butcher Cover)
SIDE A
00:00 Drive My Car
02:30 I'm Only Sleeping
05:33 Nowhere Man
08:16 Dr. Robert
10:34 Yesterday
12:42 Act Naturally
SIDE B
15:15 And Your Bird Can Sing
17:18 If I Needed Someone
19:40 We Can Work It Out
21:59 What Goes On?