13%

Total votes: 30

Topic author
Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

The Best War Films Poll...

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hey Everyone,

I thought it's about time for another Films themed poll, this time looking at the best war films ever made.

You got 5 options to pick from and most welcome to summarize and explain why you pointed out the films as the best.

As for me, am picking...

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY - although not strictly a war movie, but i so enjoyed the various angles the film covered (based on a popular book), ranging from the Bullying of a soldier who would not box (Montgomery Clift), his friend who stood by him (Sinatra), an extra marital affair (Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr), etc... is the one War movie i never tire of seeing.

PATHS OF GLORY - Based on the actual events happening in France in WW1 this is still considered by many to be the greatest anti-war film ever made.

TORA ! TORA ! TORA !

THE GUNS OF NAVARONE

PLATOON

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Re: The Best War Films Poll...

Post by EPA4368 »

From Here to Eternity (1953)
The Longest Day (1962)
Tora! Tora! Tora (1970)
Platoon (1986)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by MaryAnn »

Excellent poll, Robt. Thank you. There are so many wonderful films listed in your poll.

May I be so bold as to mention another movie that deserves consideration, All Quiet on the Western Front (1930), starring Lew Ayers. If I’m not mistaken, it was the first film that won an Academy Award for both Best Picture and Best Director.

The back-story concerning the powerful, life-changing effect that making this film had on Lew Ayers and his subsequent decision to become a conscientious objector in WWII is moving. Ayers asked to serve in the the medical corp and was later decorated for his service under fire.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020629/

Here’s what one reviewer had to say about the film:

To say that this movie is one of the greatest war films of all time would be an understatement. Naturally, since the picture is based on Erich Maria Remarque's marvelous novel, the screenwriter was given quite a powerful story to begin with. The three main reasons why I consider this movie so forceful are the acting, the cinematography, and simply the sincerity.

Lew Ayres, the man who plays Paul Baumer, convincingly portrays the main character in many ways. First of all, the sheer innocence of his facial appearance adds a poignant touch to the film, because the overwhelming theme of the story is how the war effects all young people of each nation, whether that person dies in the trenches or survives only to lament his days in the war. Ironically, when the film was initially being put together, Remarque, the novelist who won critical acclaim for writing the book, was asked to play the role of Paul. Having seen time in the war the producers must have thought him aptly prepared to play the role. But he declined because he had other commitments and because he felt he was not such a great actor. Lucky for us, because Ayres gives a powerful performance. Other characters with relatively minor roles have major importance in the film because they portray touching, heart wrenching scene s of death. These peripheral characters all help add to the general tone of the film (and the book) because they show how dark and terrible the war can be; and they in turn show how propaganda can be so harmful, because most of the soldiers in Paul's regiment are volunteers who receive a very rude awakening when they discover what the war is really all about. The acting is simply superb, and perhaps this is due to the fact that the famous director George Cukor was an assistant who, although uncredited, came onto the set to help supervise the actors (possibly because director Lewis Milestone's English was not too good).

The cinematography of this film is absolutely magnificent. The film rarely has gory sequences because the director finds other ways to imply death and still have the same emotional effect. One way in which he does this is by showing single body parts (such as a hand or a leg) and allowing these appendages to show the death of the soldier as a whole. Also, the cameraman uses overhead angles at times with great skill and also focuses on the trenches at times as the soldiers fall back into them after being shot (which implies that the trenches are a symbol of hell, because soldiers fall into them to die). In short, the cinematographer Arthur Edeson allows the camera to do the talking and to drive the film, rather than the dialogue (speaking of which, there is relatively little; the actors' facial expressions do the bulk of the talking in the film).

When I say this film is sincere I really can't give you any tangible evidence to prove the point; all I can tell you is to see the film. The film at times overwhelmed me with emotion to the extent that I got goose bumps from watching some of the more agonizing scenes. In a way, this movie is much like a silent film. This stands to reason because it came at the very beginning of the 'talkie' age, only three years after The Jazz Singer (1927). Also, Milestone directed silent films before this one, and he seemed to know that less focus on dialogue and more focus on acting would bring about an overwhelmingly emotional and well, sincere, film. The film obviously had an effect on its star, Mr. Ayres, because once World War II began and he was drafted into the war, he conscientiously protested serving in the army because of his opinions towards war. I believe he admits that his opinions stem from his work in this movie. Certainly this is a powerful admission, because his protest caused him and his films to be blacklisted in Hollywood, and his career suffered greatly because of his ideals. So if you don't believe my words about the power of this film, believe his.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Well said, Mary Ann. We can feature the film All Quiet on the Western Front
on a part two poll along with a few others. Right now as of this minute, am watching The Great Dictator with Sir Charlie Chaplin. You know or seen that film ?

IgetcarriedawayESOB
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Post by IgetcarriedawayESOB »

F**K American war movies for a start.

The best war film I've seen in a German film called Stalingrad from 1992, which is totally devoid of American hero bullshit.

The poster of this list should watch it.

Dismissed.

EPA4368

Post by EPA4368 »

AWESOME...

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Saving Private Ryan. I'm surprised that Full metal Jacket didn't make your list.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

brian on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:55 am wrote:Saving Private Ryan. I'm surprised that Full metal Jacket didn't make your list.
Thanks Brian. Well i only have 18 war films options to pick and choose, so thats why i included 'others'.
If this particular poll resonates and becomes a grower then we could have a part two war poll later this year.

brian

Post by brian »

I don't think I've ever seen Cross of Iron so I'll have to check it out. It's been so long since I've seen Apocalypse now that I've forgotten most of it. I'll have to watch it again. So thanks I'm always looking for suggestions for quality films to watch that I've never seen. Me personally I liked Full Metal Jacket more than Platoon. Hamburger Hill is another 1980's Vietnam war movie that I've been meaning to see but haven't found the time.

brian

Post by brian »

Robt on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 pm wrote:Thanks Brian. Well i only have 18 war films options to pick and choose, so thats why i included 'others'.
If this particular poll resonates and becomes a grower then we could have a part two war poll later this year.
More movies to consider for next time. I like war films.

The Story of GI Joe
Sands of Iwo Jima
Zulu
36 hours
Das boot
Hamburger hill
Full metal Jacket
Glory
A Midnight clear
Braveheart
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
Fury

norrie
Registered for: 20 years

Post by norrie »

This 1985 Soviet film about the Nazi genocide in Byelorussia is an absolute masterpiece .
5100TS2SZCL._SY445_.jpg

norrie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

brian on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:15 pm wrote:
Robt on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 pm wrote:Thanks Brian. Well i only have 18 war films options to pick and choose, so thats why i included 'others'.
More movies to consider for next time. I like war films.

The Story of GI Joe
Sands of Iwo Jima
Zulu
36 hours
Das boot
Hamburger hill
Full metal Jacket
Glory
A Midnight clear
Braveheart
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
Fury
Good on you Brian. Like you, i have not seen Hamburger Hill, either. I wonder if it is a sequel or of any relation to a similar titled 1959 B/W film called Pork Chop Hill, that starred Gregory Peck ? Yes for sure we will feature another war and related poll but not before we tackle a few other themes and genre's. Watch this space :lol:

norrie

Post by norrie »

Wait a minute where is Casablanca ? Only the greatest film ever made !

norrie

brian

Post by brian »

Robt on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:12 am wrote:Good on you Brian. Like you, i have not seen Hamburger Hill, either. I wonder if it is a sequel or of any relation to a similar titled 1959 B/W film called Pork Chop Hill, that starred Gregory Peck ? Yes for sure we will feature another war and related poll but not before we tackle a few other themes and genre's. Watch this space :lol:
No. They are unrelated.

brian

Post by brian »

norrie on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:07 am wrote:Wait a minute where is Casablanca ? Only the greatest film ever made !
Another movie I never saw. Is Casablanca a war film or is it really a romance set during world war II. If it's the latter then it shouldn't be considered.

brian

Post by brian »

My favorite war films.

The Guns of Navarone- Just a very entertaining war/adventure film.
Zulu- Very entertaining with lots of fighting as I remember. This film made me a fan of Michael Caine.
36 hours- Interesting story and clever plot by the Germans.
Full Metal Jacket- Great performance by R. Lee Ermey. My favorite movie about the Vietnam War.
Glory- Well acted. The best movie made about the civil war.
Born on the fourth of July. Not strictly a war film it's more of a biopic about Ron Kovic but I liked it. It had some war scenes in it so it counts.
A Midnight Clear- Well acted. I liked that it tried to do something different than other war movies. Interesting story.
Braveheart- One of my all time favorite films. It may be overlooked as a war film but it is one. It's about Scotland fighting England for Independence.
Saving Private Ryan- Probably my favorite war film of all time.
The Patriot- The movie was entertaining to me. I liked it.
U-571- A very underrated and very good World war II action movie. Starring Matthew McConaughey.
American Sniper- I liked this movie. It's the best of Clint Eastwood's more recent films as a director.
Fury- This was just a movie I really liked that kept me engaged throughout.
Edge of Tomorrow- One of the most entertaining films that I've ever seen. If you've never seen it then watch it. It should be on Robt's next war film poll.
The Wall- This was also directed by Doug Liman who has made some good films. This film kept me interested and it had a somewhat different story.

norrie

Post by norrie »

brian on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:40 pm wrote:
norrie on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:07 am wrote:Wait a minute where is Casablanca ? Only the greatest film ever made !
Another movie I never saw. Is Casablanca a war film or is it really a romance set during world war II. If it's the latter then it shouldn't be considered.
The romance is at the center of the story for sure buts it's also about sacrifice,survival,defiance,conscience,patriotism,
resistance during WW2 .And there are Nazis!

I do take your point though it's not an out and out war film but you should watch it anyway it's an absolute classic with some if the best and most memorable lines in movie history.

And of course it was directed by Michael Curtis who directed Elvis best film King Creole

norrie

brian

Post by brian »

Alright I'll check it out. Has anyone seen Gettysburg?

brian

Post by brian »

Thank you. I'll check that one out too.

brian

Post by brian »

What about War hunt and Castle Keep. Are those two war films any good?

brian

Post by brian »

Thank you. War Hunt isn't that long so I'll watch it. Castle Keep sounds interesting. I like some of Burt Lancaster's films.

IgetcarriedawayESOB
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Post by IgetcarriedawayESOB »

norrie on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 pm wrote:This 1985 Soviet film about the Nazi genocide in Byelorussia is an absolute masterpiece .
5100TS2SZCL._SY445_.jpg

norrie
The barn burning scene is one of the hardest film sequences I've ever watched because its so realistic.

EPA4368

Post by EPA4368 »

Greystoke on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 am wrote:You've got some of my favourites on your list, Robt, although choosing a top-five is quite difficult, so I'm going to mention six that haven't been discussed yet.

Von Ryan's Express

One of my favorites too ::rocks

Frank delivers one of his best performances imo. The Cinematography and the scenery both add greatly to the movie as well.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

I forgot Deer Hunter. Great film, buy I voted already for the other ones.

Troubleman
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Troubleman »

What about 'Where eagles dare' with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton? It's one of my all time favorites.

From your list, I pick Saving private Ryan. The landing on the beach scene is still unmatched IMO.

::rocks

Troubleman