Help with audience recorded unknown show

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Help with audience recorded unknown show

Post by Ciscoking »

Keith, you probably also have another review of the Greensboro March, 13, 1974, too..? Probably one where the set ist is a bit described?

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Keith
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Keith »

No sorry, I've posted all I could find for now.

Keith

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Keith wrote:No sorry, I've posted all I could find for now.

Keith
That was a fantastic and interesting journey...thank you.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Tom Wilson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Heh, Sherrill makes no specific mention of this in the interview. It must have been quite a dispute, he left after just five shows:

3-01-1974 (Tulsa)
3-02-1974 (Tulsa)
3-03-1974 AS (Houston)
3-03-1974 ES (Houston)
3-04-1974 (Monroe)

Only 19 more to go!
Nielsen was there for the Auburn show on the 5th.

On the 6th, there were only two members of Voice on stage, and they were seated on the same side with the rest of the singers, which I thought was quite unique. :) I don't know for sure about the Monroe March 7th gig, but at least from March 8th onwards, Voice was back to 3 members, with Hallin subbing for the rest of the tour. Nielsen was back for the May tour.
Interesting update, thanks. It seems the paperwork Guralnick and Jørgensen relied on was inaccurate for this situation. Let's assume Nielsen was there March 1 to March 5, no one around for him on March 6, and Hallin filling in the tenor part starting March 7. He was the piano player for Voice the entire tour, so he presumably was present for all 24 concerts. Maybe it took a day to figure out Per-Erik could take over for Sherrill.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Keith wrote:Yes, here is a short review of Tulsa on Friday March 1 1974 from Rex's "News Service Weekly" issue 142 (Nothing for the March 2 show)

and here is an article from "Elvis Monthly" from June 1974 (Issue 173) - Note: This article is the second time The Sweet Inspirations' new single 'Dirty Tricks' is mentioned, although in the March tour review above, it states that Elvis sang the song at one of the shows!

The "Dirty Tricks" single by the Sweet Inspirations was actually not released until late April:

Sweet Inspirations "Dirty Tricks" (Stax 0203, April 27, 1974)

"Dirty Tricks" was written by Myrna Smith of the Sweet Inspirations and Joey Lane, inspired by the ongoing Watergate scandal. The tune made up part of their four-song opening set on the March 1974 tour:

"Life Is A Song Worth Singing" [Johnny Mathis cover]
"Yes We Can Can" [Pointer Sisters cover]
"Dirty Tricks"
"Last Time I Saw Him" [Diana Ross cover]

See more here:

"Dirty Tricks" --> Remembering Sylvia and Myrna
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65779

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

andyj

Post by andyj »

great find and great research, just shows google hasn't got everything, which limits some in the endeavor to be the best, which isn't what this is about, helping each other, without the I am, is refreshing here.

drjohncarpenter

andyj wrote:great find and great research, just shows google hasn't got everything, which limits some in the endeavor to be the best, which isn't what this is about, helping each other, without the I am, is refreshing here.
I've noticed when you visit this forum you often refer to the Google search engine in a derogatory manner. That's deeply unfortunate, since harnessing the incredible amount of information on the internet is a daunting, yet important task for anyone who seeks to learn more about their world, or in this case, the "Elvis world."

Below is a website link that will help you better understand the reach and popularity of the Google tool, which processes over 40,000 searches every second, which translates to over 3.5 billion searches per day and 1.2 trillion searches per year.

Google Search Statistics - Internet Live Stats
http://www.internetlivestats.com/google-search-statistics/

Perhaps your animosity is based on the likelihood you don't know how to use the Google tool. Here's a page you should read:

How to search on Google - Search Help
http://searchengineland.com/guide/how-to-use-google-to-search

Hope this helps. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

To be honest..google hardly helps me..therefore I am no good in using it. This thread is a fine example. I had to compare with other shows I have...contact fellow collocters who also know a lot about these things and have access to more than I have..read newspaper articles in books and websites I know....google doesnt help here at all. But in the end I was successful anyway. Thats the way I am working when it comes to the concert years. And I never give up.

andyj

Post by andyj »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
andyj wrote:great find and great research, just shows google hasn't got everything, which limits some in the endeavor to be the best, which isn't what this is about, helping each other, without the I am, is refreshing here.
I've noticed when you visit this forum you often refer to the Google search engine in a derogatory manner. That's deeply unfortunate, since harnessing the incredible amount of information on the internet is a daunting, yet important task for anyone who seeks to learn more about their world, or in this case, the "Elvis world."

Below is a website link that will help you better understand the reach and popularity of the Google tool, which processes over 40,000 searches every second, which translates to over 3.5 billion searches per day and 1.2 trillion searches per year.

Google Search Statistics - Internet Live Stats
http://www.internetlivestats.com/google-search-statistics/

Perhaps your animosity is based on the likelihood you don't know how to use the Google tool. Here's a page you should read:

How to search on Google - Search Help
http://searchengineland.com/guide/how-to-use-google-to-search

Hope this helps. :smt023
Not at all Doc, I do not.. But not everything is on the web, and good old fashioned research is needed like here, and all google is good for here is adding tit bits of info already available, but not what is requested in original post, not saying its not relevant, as it all adds to the history.

Your vast experience and time spent on google is commendable, but not everyone has the many hours to spend on the wonderful world of google. but you may need to just look at some of the most googled things instead of trying to justify google. as I doubt most people here are interested, Justin Bieber, or how to boil an egg.

As said its refreshing to see some good old research, and the results that followed.

oh and just to put a point in perspective to your google comment about me? the world of Audio collectors of Elvis Concerts: the following is standard ES (means Elvis performed an evening show) it does not mean he played an afternoon show, as you keep harping on about. its all been clearly explained here and on other posts that you have tried to insist, otherwise?

If you continue to be confused on this perhaps you need to move on to another subject, as you will not change things on this only confuse others, which hopefully is not your intention.
Keep on Rockin'

StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Ciscoking wrote:To be honest..google hardly helps me..therefore I am no good in using it. This thread is a fine example. I had to compare with other shows I have...contact fellow collocters who also know a lot about these things and have access to more than I have..read newspaper articles in books and websites I know....google doesnt help here at all. But in the end I was successful anyway. Thats the way I am working when it comes to the concert years. And I never give up.
On the contrary, you are very good at using it. Only in your case your fellow collectors and friends act as your google. You feed them the search queries and they do all the work for you and give you back the results on a silver platter. Now, someone like for example Fransesc, someone who goes actually to cities and library's to obtain concert reviews in person is what I call doing research. You are just using the people around you like someone else is using google. You're not so different after all.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Perhaps some of my friends can reply to this statement. .. :roll:

StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Ciscoking wrote:Perhaps some of my friends can reply to this statement. .. :roll:
No, not a statement, but an opinion ..... there's a huge difference there !

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

StefanKock1 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Perhaps some of my friends can reply to this statement. .. :roll:
I respect your opinion..which is predictable in this case ..of course...anyway....my collector friends are invited to comment on your opinion.

StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Ciscoking wrote:
StefanKock1 wrote:
I respect your opinion..which is predictable in this case ..of course...anyway....my collector friends are invited to comment on your opinion.
Why ? An opinion isn't good nor bad .. it's what it is and therefore i'm not in the slightest interested in their opinions (which I do respect by the way) ... seems a little immature to openly ask for your friends back-up .... feeling a bit insecure aren't we ?? :facep:

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Not a bit...no.. :facep: