SANDI : LAST DAYS OF 1977

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Re: SANDI : LAST DAYS OF 1977

Post by BrianTCB »

sanQ wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:58 am
Old topic but it was speculated at one time that David Stanley (if I remember correctly) had switched the codeine pills for some other pills he wanted in one of Elvis' daily pill batches, perhaps being were unaware of Elvis' allergy. When David got back to Graceland from being passed out at the hotel where he shacked up with a girl and discovered that Elvis had died, he shouted out "Oh my God I killed him!" Someone asked him what he meant by that and he downplayed it as though he killed Elvis by not being there on his shift to look after him. So there's that possibility. If Elvis was allergic to codeine, like I am myself, you will never forget the experience...it's like having a massive gut ache. I took one tylenol 3 with codeine one time, and ended up in hospital writhing in pain for hours and hours, feeling like I was going to die. Now imagine being allergic like Elvis and taking 10 times the therapeutic level? If I had taken that much, I definitely would have died. Now add in the other 13 drugs and you have a pretty good recipe for fatality. I think the codeine allergy is probably what did it.
Where did this speculation come from? Just curious. Because that is very interesting and something I hadn't heard before. Plus, why would Stanley downplay that comment like that? And his comment seems very out of place considering the events.

If Elvis knew he had a codeine allergy and had reacted poorly to it in the past, it really begs the question: why would he take something like that then in August of 1977 when, from past experience, he knows he could very likely have a poor reaction?

sanQ
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Re: SANDI : LAST DAYS OF 1977

Post by sanQ »

BrianTCB wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:18 am
sanQ wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:58 am
Old topic but it was speculated at one time that David Stanley (if I remember correctly) had switched the codeine pills for some other pills he wanted in one of Elvis' daily pill batches, perhaps being were unaware of Elvis' allergy. When David got back to Graceland from being passed out at the hotel where he shacked up with a girl and discovered that Elvis had died, he shouted out "Oh my God I killed him!" Someone asked him what he meant by that and he downplayed it as though he killed Elvis by not being there on his shift to look after him. So there's that possibility. If Elvis was allergic to codeine, like I am myself, you will never forget the experience...it's like having a massive gut ache. I took one tylenol 3 with codeine one time, and ended up in hospital writhing in pain for hours and hours, feeling like I was going to die. Now imagine being allergic like Elvis and taking 10 times the therapeutic level? If I had taken that much, I definitely would have died. Now add in the other 13 drugs and you have a pretty good recipe for fatality. I think the codeine allergy is probably what did it.
Where did this speculation come from? Just curious. Because that is very interesting and something I hadn't heard before. Plus, why would Stanley downplay that comment like that? And his comment seems very out of place considering the events.

If Elvis knew he had a codeine allergy and had reacted poorly to it in the past, it really begs the question: why would he take something like that then in August of 1977 when, from past experience, he knows he could very likely have a poor reaction?
I thought I read it in the book "The Death of Elvis" but it might have been in another one. Maybe one by Dick Grobb. I wish I could remember. The author speculated that it was possible that David switched some of Elvis' daily pills which looked similar with the codeine pills that Elvis had obtained from the dentist. The reason being that David wanted to get himself and his girlfriend high that evening. I think he said David was the one who delivered it to Elvis that evening. That's all I remember. It made sense at the time I read it as being a possibility seeing as Elvis knew he had a codeine allergy so it really makes no sense why he would take them at all.