Interview With Sandi Miller

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

Excellent idea from the Doc. I'm up for that! A promotion for Sandi :D

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Sergio Luiz wrote:Thank you LD for your concern :smt023
I talked to Sandi about this very same idea I think about two month ago. But I understand she is very buzzy lately so thats why she couldnt write anything for my website yet. From my part there´s no problem if a Sandi section is created at FECC´s. If thats Ok with Sandi, no hurt feelings at all :D

All the best
Sergio
That's cool Sergio. :smt006

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Monique »

Little Darlin wrote:
I talked to Sandi about this very same idea I think about two month ago. But I understand she is very buzzy lately so thats why she couldnt write anything for my website yet. From my part there´s no problem if a Sandi section is created at FECC´s. If thats Ok with Sandi, no hurt feelings at all :D

All the best
Sergio
That's cool Sergio. :smt006
That's the true Elvisly spirit, Sergio!

Always Elvis on my mind

DutchLA
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by DutchLA »

All the best
Sergio

My apologies to Sergio for taking so long to write up some things for him - I've had company from Tenn, Minn, New York &. family, blah blah blah but as of tomorrow Hotel Miller will be guest free for awhile and I will have some computer time to get caught up with things before I leave for Denmark! I'm trying to find some stories that have not been told over the years but then I don't remember which ones I've relayed and which ones I haven't so I will ask - did I ever share the story Elvis told about the history behind the song Amazing Grace?

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Registered for: 21 years
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Since this thread has grown so large, I suggest that any new questions should be asked within the new Jungle Room section in new threads/topics.

Thank you so much again, Sandi for being here!

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Monique

Post by Monique »

DutchLA wrote:

All the best
Sergio

My apologies to Sergio for taking so long to write up some things for him - I've had company from Tenn, Minn, New York &. family, blah blah blah but as of tomorrow Hotel Miller will be guest free for awhile and I will have some computer time to get caught up with things before I leave for Denmark! I'm trying to find some stories that have not been told over the years but then I don't remember which ones I've relayed and which ones I haven't so I will ask - did I ever share the story Elvis told about the history behind the song Amazing Grace?
Not that I know of. So please tell us! :D

Always Elvis on my mind

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

DutchLA wrote:

All the best
Sergio

I don't think I've heard it Sandi.....tell us please :D

Congrats on your new ''home''. With a bit of luck some of the gang from the Insiders will be over here shortly :D

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Monique wrote:
DutchLA wrote:

All the best
Sergio

You read my mind Monique :D

Monique

Post by Monique »

Little Darlin wrote:
Monique wrote:
DutchLA wrote:

All the best
Sergio

Do you think I was just lucky, or do you think I have a gift? 8) :smt003

Always Elvis on my mind

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Monique wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:
Monique wrote:
DutchLA wrote:

All the best
Sergio

Do you think I was just lucky, or do you think I have a gift? 8) :smt003
I think you've got a gift -- use it wisely :wink: :smt003

Topic author
Sergio Luiz

Post by Sergio Luiz »

DutchLA wrote:

Hey Sandi, no need to apologize at all. Whenever you have some free time at your hands we can go on with your new section at our website. I think both the fans in Brazil as well in the rest of the world will enjoy your fascinating stories.
My best regards to you,

Sergio Biston

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

This is straight from my journals written a few hours after Elvis told the story so it should be pretty accurate of what he said.

Palm Springs - Sept 72

>>After finishing up several hours of singing -- mostly upbeat stuff, other singers, etc. the last hour was strictly gospel which of course is my favorite
type of song to watch him sing. Tonight was different - because after finishing Amazing Grace he asked if we knew the story behind that song. Heck, I don't know the story behind any song but I'm all ears!

As only Elvis can tell a story ... complete with total drama and hand gestures, he starts talking about some guy (John something) who back in the 1700's was a slave trader - hauling men and women and children from Africa to be sold as slaves. He mistreated his captives and generally was not a very nice guy. He was captain of his own ship. On one of the trips his ship hit a terrible storm and the ship was looking like it was going to go down - human cargo, crew - right to the bottom of the ocean. The storm made him look back at his life and all the misery he had caused to others over the years and he prayed to God to spare him and all onboard. Since his prayers were answered and his ship and all on board were spared, he decided to devote the rest of his life to the church and to writing religious hymns.

Amazing Grace was one of those songs only it was called something else when he wrote it....Faith's Review.... or something like that...later renamed Amazing Grace.

Elvis said it was sung by both sides of the Civil War, it was sung by the civil rights protesters - he listed several other times it has been used as a song that heals the heart and soul . Pretty profound (but then I'm easily impressed) Normally I'm never sure if he's pulling my leg with his stories but I got the impression he wasn't making this one up - there was something in his eyes as he was telling it and he was too intense.>>

minni1
Registered for: 20 years

Post by minni1 »

Excellent story, thanks so much Sandi. Elvis knew a lot about many different things, I think I could've just listened to him tell stories forever.

Riverfront Coliseum Cincinnati, Ohio, June 25, 1977

Monique

Post by Monique »

A beautiful story.

I try to imagine what it must have been like, sitting in the same room as Elvis...(that alone would do it for me) and have him singing for several hours. :shock: I don't think anything could beat that.

Always Elvis on my mind

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

carolynlm wrote:I think I would have believed every single word that came out of his mouth......
**This made me laugh -- Sometimes Elvis came up with some of the most bizarre stories and I'm convinced he did it to see how far he could go with something before someone said "wait a minute...you're making that up!!" Then he'd say "Yeah I am! But it's a good story" so after several of these tales from him- I basically had to think twice about anything he said that seemed a little off the wall.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

DutchLA wrote:This is straight from my journals written a few hours after Elvis told the story so it should be pretty accurate of what he said.

Palm Springs - Sept 72

>>After finishing up several hours of singing -- mostly upbeat stuff, other singers, etc. the last hour was strictly gospel which of course is my favorite
type of song to watch him sing. Tonight was different - because after finishing Amazing Grace he asked if we knew the story behind that song. Heck, I don't know the story behind any song but I'm all ears!

As only Elvis can tell a story ... complete with total drama and hand gestures, he starts talking about some guy (John something) who back in the 1700's was a slave trader - hauling men and women and children from Africa to be sold as slaves. He mistreated his captives and generally was not a very nice guy. He was captain of his own ship. On one of the trips his ship hit a terrible storm and the ship was looking like it was going to go down - human cargo, crew - right to the bottom of the ocean. The storm made him look back at his life and all the misery he had caused to others over the years and he prayed to God to spare him and all onboard. Since his prayers were answered and his ship and all on board were spared, he decided to devote the rest of his life to the church and to writing religious hymns.

Amazing Grace was one of those songs only it was called something else when he wrote it....Faith's Review.... or something like that...later renamed Amazing Grace.

Elvis said it was sung by both sides of the Civil War, it was sung by the civil rights protesters - he listed several other times it has been used as a song that heals the heart and soul . Pretty profound (but then I'm easily impressed) Normally I'm never sure if he's pulling my leg with his stories but I got the impression he wasn't making this one up - there was something in his eyes as he was telling it and he was too intense.>>
Beautiful story, thanks for sharing it with us Sandi!

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

From the excellent site detailing the original versions of songs Elvis later sang:

John Newton wrote the words to this hymn in the 18th century. Newton was the reformed master of a slave ship and not a particularly pleasant character in his earlier life. He became rector of a parish in Olney in Great Britain, where he compiled "Olney Hymns," a hymnal which was published in 1779 and contained the first printing of "Amazing Grace". The original tune used to accompany "Amazing Grace" is associated with the Scottish folk song "Loch Lomond" and the17th century English hymn "Todlen Hame". The "New Britain" tune -- the tune now most associated with the song and the one used by Elvis -- was first used in 1835 in the hymnal "The Southern Harmony" in the USA. Elvis sings an extra verse, not included in Newton's version ("When we've been there ten thousand years…"); this verse was added by John Rees in the 19th century. The Original Sacred Harp Choir's recording was released in 1922 on Brunswick 5150 with the title "New Britain".

source: http://users.telenet.be/davidneale/elvis/originals/index.html

Monique

Post by Monique »

Luuk wrote:From the excellent site detailing the original versions of songs Elvis later sang:

John Newton wrote the words to this hymn in the 18th century. Newton was the reformed master of a slave ship and not a particularly pleasant character in his earlier life. He became rector of a parish in Olney in Great Britain, where he compiled "Olney Hymns," a hymnal which was published in 1779 and contained the first printing of "Amazing Grace". The original tune used to accompany "Amazing Grace" is associated with the Scottish folk song "Loch Lomond" and the17th century English hymn "Todlen Hame". The "New Britain" tune -- the tune now most associated with the song and the one used by Elvis -- was first used in 1835 in the hymnal "The Southern Harmony" in the USA. Elvis sings an extra verse, not included in Newton's version ("When we've been there ten thousand years…"); this verse was added by John Rees in the 19th century. The Original Sacred Harp Choir's recording was released in 1922 on Brunswick 5150 with the title "New Britain".

source: http://users.telenet.be/davidneale/elvis/originals/index.html
Thanks for the info Luuk. :D

Always Elvis on my mind

ElvisBoxSet
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by ElvisBoxSet »

I can't believe I never found this forum before now, I've spent hours reading all you guys posts,
cheers from bonnie Scotlands Elvis Nuts!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

This is such a wonderful topic, a real insight into Elvis Presley, human being and friend. It's well worth a second look.

Start by reading the link to Sandi's interview, then enjoy her comments on FECC.

Unfortunately, it appears "DutchLA" stopped visiting or posting about 4 years ago. I hope she is doing well.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Epkp
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Epkp »

Its a shame she stopped visiting, her stories made Elvis seem so much more human in a lot of aspects, and she was so gracious in her answers.
Has anyone tried a PM to her since she quit visiting?

Justintoelvis
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Justintoelvis »

It took me 3 or 4 days to read all the post that was on this thread. It saddens me that she hasn't been back since 2009. I would love to ask her more about her time with our man, Elvis. Every time she told a story about Elvis, I image the scene in my head. I can see it now, Elvis smoking outside of his home one night and talking to Sandi around the neighborhood for an hour. I can see him picking up Chinese food cartons and impersonating Tom Jones, Kennedy, and Donald Duck.

Elvis, was a normal human being that we wished we had a close friendship with, just like Sandi had. She was our eyes and ears for us fans to learn and enjoy on this thread. She must have been too busy with traveling, functions, and other commitments that kept her away from posting on here again.

On behave of all the fans on this site, I want to thank you for your time and attention that you gave to us and for us to revisit this thread anytime we want to. May you continue to delight the hearts of Elvis fans that enjoy your fond memories of a man we all love, Elvis Aron Presley.
Last edited by Justintoelvis on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin

Your time hasn't come yet baby
You got a lot of dreams to go
But when it does your heart will know...

drjohncarpenter

Justintoelvis wrote:It took me 3 or 4 days to read all the post that was on this thread. It saddens me that she hasn't been back since 2009. I would love to ask her more about her time with our man, Elvis. Every time she told a story about Elvis, I image the scene in my head. I can see it now, Elvis smoking outside of his home one night and talking to sandy around the neighborhood for an hour. I can see him picking up Chinese food cartons and impersonating Tom Jones, Kennedy, and Donald Duck.

Elvis, was a normal human being that we wished we had a close friendship with, just like Sandi had. She was our eyes and ears for us fans to learn and enjoy on this thread. She must have been too busy with traveling, functions, and other commitments that kept her away from posting on here again.

On behave of all the fans on this site, I want to thank you for your time and attention that you gave to us and for us to revisit this thread anytime we want to. May you continue to delight the hearts of Elvis fans that enjoy your fond memories of a man we all love, Elvis Aron Presley.
Don't agree with that.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Justintoelvis
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Justintoelvis »

I was referring to Sandi's comment in her interview. She said, Over the years I'd formed this picture of Elvis in my head that he was absolutely perfect. He loved his Mom, his family, didn't smoke, didn't drink, didn't cuss, was religious, etc. etc. etc. I had him so high on a pedestal that he might as well have had wings to fly around with. It didn't take long for that impression of him to gradually start to change...ok, he smokes, he cusses, alright - OMG - he's human! He loses his temper, he's funny, he's irreverent....I like this guy even better!

I find these behaviors as normal to me because I know that other people and myself can relate to these behaviors and attitudes that Elvis expressed around Sandi and other people. I wasn't trying to minimize anything he has accomplished or make him sound like an average Joe. My question to you is what did you interpet from that comment and why do you disagree with that comment?

Justin

You got a lot of dreams to go
But when it does your heart will know...

drjohncarpenter

Justintoelvis wrote:I was referring to Sandi's comment in her interview. She said, Over the years I'd formed this picture of Elvis in my head that he was absolutely perfect. He loved his Mom, his family, didn't smoke, didn't drink, didn't cuss, was religious, etc. etc. etc. I had him so high on a pedestal that he might as well have had wings to fly around with. It didn't take long for that impression of him to gradually start to change...ok, he smokes, he cusses, alright - OMG - he's human! He loses his temper, he's funny, he's irreverent....I like this guy even better!

I find these behaviors as normal to me because I know that other people and myself can relate to these behaviors and attitudes that Elvis expressed around Sandi and other people. I wasn't trying to minimize anything he has accomplished or make him sound like an average Joe. My question to you is what did you interpet from that comment and why do you disagree with that comment?
That's two questions. And I disagreed with your comment.

What did I interpret? That you have an inaccurate view of Elvis as "normal." Why do I disagree? Because he was not, especially after the fame hit.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.