vic colonna

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Re: vic colonna

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

As mentioned elsewhere in another thread, the good word is that Vic Colonna has resurfaced, so to speak, yet again, after being incognito since sometime last summer when Bad Luck paid him a serious visit.

Turns out he had major health hurdles as a result that he somehow overcame and for that we can be glad!

The book is now back on the front burner! Stay tuned. :D

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by viccolonna@gmail.com »

Hi all,

The rewrite is finally a fait accompli and the next trick is to get a publisher interested. I am making forays into that, have high hopes. I have a friend who will do all the graphic arts work and provide me with the book ready-to-print on disc.

Sure would like to see this make the bookstores.

About that "Don't Think Twice" track on Behind Closed Doors, we had a tape from the session with no beginning and no end. The recorder was turned on during the jam and switched off before the jam was completed. I took our tape to our recording engineer who cut the tape up into 30 pieces and reassembled it to give it a beginning and an end.

The RCA version parallels ours with alterations to the bass and treble, plus a different ending. Now, decide for yourself: 1) Did RCA just happen to cut their tape into thirty pieces exactly like we did and combine them in the same order we did? or 2) Did RCA take the version off our album and alter it slightly?

For those who are unsure, the probability of their disassembling and reassembling 30 like pieces is quite a bit larger than the odds that O.J. Simpleton did not commit murder x two.

I'll keep everyone informed about the quest for a publisher.

Thanks, Vic

what could have been work was fun thanks to the fans

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:On one hand, I hear ya ( I forget exactly what was said and when) but Vic is an entire package unto himself (like a few other legends in this sense) and if you're talking Elvis boot history, don't be surprised if you hear an aside about the world at large along the way.

Also, I've edited for space part of this quote below, which I have a question about:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Has ALL the material from that 4LP boxset come out via BMG,FTD and import?
Import may be 100% by now.
Looking at FTD and BMG, the answer is ... almost!
Behind Closed Doors (Audifon Records AFNS 66072-4) - 1979
Side Five
5. Gentle On My Mind
Side Six
1. I Got A Woman
Side Seven
1. It's Your Baby, You Rock It
5. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Side Eight
1. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

-----
Boy, was this an exciting release. It wasn't perfect, they could have speed-corrected a few tracks and the material could have fit on 3 LPs, but it still blew RCA's 1978-79 offerings into outer space. And that's not even counting all the other Audifon/Golden Archives LPs from those two years.
I imagine the "In the Ghetto" was unofficially released on "The American Way" series but what are the other tracks exactly and where have they been issued since then on import, if ever? (I know the "Don't Think Twice" was released post-humously but edited just a bit and then an import with the same title extended it later with some studio trickery....)

I have a shorter-running CD-R of this album with the same artwork but would love to know if I have these tracks elsewhere. I would hope I do.
Off the top of my head, Greg, here's where you can find the tracks:

"Gentle on My Mind": Edge of Reality (MAC Records, 1993) and The American Way Volume 5 (this may be from a tape source on this release)

"I Got A Woman": Good Times Never Seemed So Good (Captain Marvel Records) and A Dinner Date (Reissue, Presto Records)

"Its Your Baby, You Rock It": You Know, It Don't Have to be Strictly Country Vol. 1 (in full here while its edited on BCD) and Pure Diamonds Volume 1

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face": its exclusive to the BCD set.

"Don't Think Twice, Its All Right": its exlcusive to the BCD set, although it might have been used as source for Madison's 14-minute version of the track on Don't Think Twice

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote:Hi all,

The rewrite is finally a fait accompli and the next trick is to get a publisher interested. I am making forays into that, have high hopes. I have a friend who will do all the graphic arts work and provide me with the book ready-to-print on disc.

Sure would like to see this make the bookstores.

About that "Don't Think Twice" track on Behind Closed Doors, we had a tape from the session with no beginning and no end. The recorder was turned on during the jam and switched off before the jam was completed. I took our tape to our recording engineer who cut the tape up into 30 pieces and reassembled it to give it a beginning and an end.

The RCA version parallels ours with alterations to the bass and treble, plus a different ending. Now, decide for yourself: 1) Did RCA just happen to cut their tape into thirty pieces exactly like we did and combine them in the same order we did? or 2) Did RCA take the version off our album and alter it slightly?

For those who are unsure, the probability of their disassembling and reassembling 30 like pieces is quite a bit larger than the odds that O.J. Simpleton did not commit murder x two.

I'll keep everyone informed about the quest for a publisher.

Thanks, Vic
Vic,
I sure hope the book comes out soon. Can I still send you money for copy of the manscript now as you once offered on the Board?

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Thanks for the info, Mike.

The final version will be well worth the wait, too.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com

although i am bound to secrecy. there is an elvis album coming out that will rock your world, folks. i'm not trying to be a tease, and it may be two or three years away. but it will get done and it will contain stuff more exciting than anything paul and i ever released. i promise. i'm waiting just like you. i have been given one song in advance, and what a treat.

honest injun, i haven't been truly jazzed about anything coming out in twenty years. obviously it will not be a ftd product. it will make headlines.

and now you have to be patient like me. kindly stay tuned.

vic/sam

the full sp

Post by the full sp »

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote:although i am bound to secrecy. there is an elvis album coming out that will rock your world, folks. i'm not trying to be a tease, and it may be two or three years away. but it will get done and it will contain stuff more exciting than anything paul and i ever released. i promise. i'm waiting just like you. i have been given one song in advance, and what a treat.

honest injun, i haven't been truly jazzed about anything coming out in twenty years. obviously it will not be a ftd product. it will make headlines.

vic/sam
Jesus Christ, please say your not joking? Any hint of what it migth entail? What could it be?!

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com

no joke. but my lips are sealed tighter than ever before. believe me, you'll shout out loud when it is made public.

wwelvis
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by wwelvis »

Looks like they can't keep a good Vic down!

First the book, then the movie, then......well, my lips are sealed too!

KING VIC WILL GO WILD AGAIN!!!

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
viccolonna@gmail.com wrote:although i am bound to secrecy. there is an elvis album coming out that will rock your world, folks. i'm not trying to be a tease, and it may be two or three years away. but it will get done and it will contain stuff more exciting than anything paul and i ever released. i promise. i'm waiting just like you. i have been given one song in advance, and what a treat.

vic/sam
Let me guess :wink:. I could be either one of the 1961 live shows, the 1969 rehearsal show in Vegas or the Paris Golden Gate jam session 8). I don´t think it will be an album with unreleased songs. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

hm80ep
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by hm80ep »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

vic/sam
Let me guess :wink:. I could be either one of the 1961 live shows, the 1969 rehearsal show in Vegas or the Paris Golden Gate jam session 8). I don´t think it will be an album with unreleased songs. Bye for now :smt006.
Do you think any of the above would make headlines in 2010? The only thing that would that I can think of is the tape/recording of Elvis and The Beatles jamming, but I guess it ain't what vic had in mind, is it vic? ;-)

Henryk

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D
hm80ep wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

vic/sam
Do you think any of the above would make headlines in 2010? The only thing that would that I can think of is the tape/recording of Elvis and The Beatles jamming, but I guess it ain't what vic had in mind, is it vic? ;-)
O.K another guess. A Tom Jones and Elvis jam session in the 60´s during his visit in Hawaii 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Whatever Vic is referring to, there's no doubt the true fans will benefit.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I can't wait! Btw so RCA/BMG/SONY lifted the bootleg master tape for Don't Think Twice"?!!!

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com

those guys never do any heavy lifting. no sense guessing, don't waste your time. no one could make a correct guess because there's never even been a rumor. who ever woulda thunk?...

Sun Hero
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Sun Hero »

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote: and it may be two or three years away.vic/sam
Allright then.....release date will be three years from now.....April 1, 2013 !!!!

Come on man.....book....movie....now this !!!!
What are you waiting for !
Three years from now the Elvis world could be a total diffrennt scene......
I don't understand....please expain.........

....I get carried away very easily...emotional sonovabitch.....

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com

do not get upset. you are my hero and i am not being a smart-aleck. i am putting forth a concerted move to get published. not just elvis story, but other writings with a scholastic bent. i need to get published because that opens the door and i have lots of stuff to bring inside. am pursuing a number of hopefuls before just barraging publishers with material. send me an agent and i'm in. try and find an agent who wants to take on an unknown. they don't have time to read what i wrote. movie, any movie, is a long, long, shot. the album, forget about it. when it gets here you'll like it. whatever it is. i guarantee it is better than 'sings for children and grownups too'. you have my word.

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by billyblues »

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote:the album, forget about it. when it gets here you'll like it. whatever it is. i guarantee it is better than 'sings for children and grownups too'. you have my word.
Exciting stuff! And you say "there's never even been a rumor"? Yay!

2 or 3 years? C'mon... Can we really bear to wait for so long? :D

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

TONY

Post by TONY »

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote: when it gets here you'll like it. whatever it is. i guarantee it is better than 'sings for children and grownups too'. you have my word.
Even "America" (an FTD CD featuring a badly sound-balanced 1976 soundboard recording of a poor performance) was better than that!

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com

hi tony,

i was once lamenting the songs thrust upon elvis for some of his movies. i scoffed at 'old mcdonald' and a fellow listening was annoyed because that was one of his favorites.

ooooohhhhhkay.

truth.

best, sam/vic (any news, be assured i will post in timely fashion)

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

I'm guessing you mean an album that will be an unofficial release?

Nora Sivle
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Nora Sivle »

Darn, still two years to go...... smt173

FACT is not everything.....It is only what we can prove......REALITY is everything else.

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

I really want to know! :roll:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

compiling a list of rumors leaves off:

- Beatles 1965 jam
- Tom Jones jam
- alternate takes lost (hound dog)
- hawaii 61 multi track
- elvis entering that studio in nashville 77
- opening night 69 multi track
- the august 67 session
- the other 2 MSG shows professionally recorded

etc

non rumored before? I really can't think anything that hasn't been speculated. A lost recording session nobody knows about so there isn't even a rumor about is the only possibility that could rock me out of my chair 12 or 14 new songs recorded in Nashville in may 1958 or in april 1965, or in Stax 1974 just to say such weird things that as for today are 100% impossible.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

Any more info vic?

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"