Give me some facts about "Aloha From Hawaii"

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic


User avatar

Topic author
Justin
Posts: 3802
Registered for: 21 years 3 months
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 232 times
Age: 40

Give me some facts about "Aloha From Hawaii"

Post by Justin »

I'm working on a little project...to some may who may not know...the explanation is here: http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28987

Right now I just need one simple thing:

To: everyone, any person, any one who wants to, YOU:

Post in this thread a fact about ANYTHING that has to do with Aloha From Hawaii. You may post AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. I just need a few...so no pressure. Anything at all.

Let me start it off:

Aloha From Hawaii was taped on January 14, 1973.



Just like that! Can you guys just give me about 10 facts just like that. In that form.. a sentence. As many as you want.


The reason for all this, as the link above will lead you to the explanation, I have suggested a bold idea to FECC about creating our own library for the HUGE amount of information and facts that are thrown around on this board. Doing so, would make FECC the most reliable, useful and reigning site on the web for Elvis information.

This all is in the most earliest of stages so who knows how this will go or how much of this will materialize. Considering for it to work, the whole board needs to be "on board." Quite simply, because YOU GUYS are the ones who will be in charge of the library!



User avatar

daz cav
Posts: 1086
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Location: on top of the cow and calf rocks
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Age: 48

aloha

Post by daz cav »

Sat in the audience during the Aloha show was one of Eps favourite actors Jack Lord, also co star from "PHS" Donna butterworth.



User avatar

drjohncarpenter
Posts: 108280
Registered for: 21 years 3 months
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 11984 times
Been thanked: 35474 times
Age: 89

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Given the propensity for some here to pull "facts" out of their posteriors, I suggest you ask for some kind of citation to accompany any fact offered, other than those commonly accepted by all.


.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

User avatar

BigredG
Posts: 10029
Registered for: 19 years 10 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake
Been thanked: 5 times
Age: 114

Post by BigredG »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Given the propensity for some here to pull "facts" out of their posteriors, I suggest you ask for some kind of citation to accompany any fact offered, other than those commonly accepted by all.
....or just use the Doc's facts. Then you can't go wrong.




Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar

elvisa
Posts: 3341
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 132 times
Age: 62

Post by elvisa »

Well, he did the best version of "American trilogy" ever on that show :D


" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

User avatar

thefunkyangel
Posts: 8946
Registered for: 19 years 10 months
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 1132 times
Age: 56

Post by thefunkyangel »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Given the propensity for some here to pull "facts" out of their posteriors, I suggest you ask for some kind of citation to accompany any fact offered, other than those commonly accepted by all.
Yeah Doc, just like you saying Joe Esposito did NOT attend all concerts! You are the only one on here that doesn't apologise when you are wrong! So, wipe the dribble from your mouth and stop being a smart arse!

IMETJB, the production team had huge cue cards lifted up so Presley could read the lyrics to Burning Love! Watch Presley read, rather sneakly, lyrics of My Way, on Charlie's music stand! Good post, by the way :lol:!




GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Posts: 3130
Registered for: 20 years 5 months
Has thanked: 868 times
Been thanked: 514 times

Post by GERRY »

Hampton Roads is surely just as good?




Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar

Topic author
Justin
Posts: 3802
Registered for: 21 years 3 months
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 232 times
Age: 40

Post by Justin »

Steve_M wrote:
elvisa wrote:Well, he did the best version of "American trilogy" ever on that show :D
Oh, I didn't realise that facts also could include opinions. Well in that case Aloha was boring!
I think I should also include an opinion section in the library, perhaps? :lol:

Thanks everyone for your input and help! Let's see where this idea goes.....



User avatar

Little Darlin
Posts: 14015
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.
Been thanked: 12 times

Post by Little Darlin »

I think it will all end in Tears! Mark My Words :wink:


I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

User avatar

Topic author
Justin
Posts: 3802
Registered for: 21 years 3 months
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 232 times
Age: 40

Post by Justin »

carolynlm wrote:The concept is a great one and it would work if done correctly.
To make this happen, we should appoint a kind of committee.....everyone could contribute their ideas to the 'committee' who would in turn review all material and put forward a 'chapter' so to speak every so often... That way there can be some discussion on each 'chapter' and not the whole thing all at once.
Lets see how far into the alphabet we can get to without any problems.
You would probably need a few legitimate books of reference to use.....for instance, I think goldmans piece of trash could be omitted.
Yes, you are right Carolyn. I think taking it "chapter by chapter" might work better than taking it on in its entirety. Which would then lead to a possible burn out and the idea completely falling apart with little and dissapointing results.

The only way to ensure that it doesn't fail is to install a new thinking at this messageboard in the most grand of senses: Everyone has to be on board and be constantly aware of the Library. It has to go completely hand-in-hand with the messageboard. It's a perfect example of before and after. Conversations and discussions start in the messageboard and documented facts end in the Library.

FECC has replied with great interest, they need to discuss if it is technically possible for them to do it. We'll see where this goes...if it indeed ends in "tears."




Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Posts: 1810
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Post by Daryl »

Fact: It was Jerry Schilling who handed Elvis the crown at the end of "Aloha From Hawaii." And yet he inexplicably forgets to mention it in his book "Me And A Guy Named Elvis."
Daryl



User avatar

Spanish_Eyes
Posts: 1005
Registered for: 20 years 1 month
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

Daryl wrote:Fact: It was Jerry Schilling who handed Elvis the crown at the end of "Aloha From Hawaii." And yet he inexplicably forgets to mention it in his book "Me And A Guy Named Elvis."
Daryl
I always thought it was a woman from the audience :shock:



User avatar

drjohncarpenter
Posts: 108280
Registered for: 21 years 3 months
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 11984 times
Been thanked: 35474 times
Age: 89

Post by drjohncarpenter »

thefunkyangel wrote:Yeah Doc, just like you saying Joe Esposito did NOT attend all concerts!
Thanks, glad you learned something. You should stick to obsessive searching of the internet for Elvis "candids," as that's your forte.
thefunkyangel wrote:IMETJB, the production team had huge cue cards lifted up so Presley could read the lyrics to Burning Love! Watch Presley read, rather sneakly, lyrics of My Way, on Charlie's music stand!
No. The only photo evidence of cue cards is for "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," as seen at the January 13 soundcheck.

As I noted on this MB a few years back, Elvis did use an adjacent music stand during the first verse of "My Way," as he always had trouble remembering it. But certainly he doesn't stand there for the entire song.


.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

User avatar

Little Darlin
Posts: 14015
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.
Been thanked: 12 times

Post by Little Darlin »

IMETJB wrote:
carolynlm wrote:The concept is a great one and it would work if done correctly.
To make this happen, we should appoint a kind of committee.....everyone could contribute their ideas to the 'committee' who would in turn review all material and put forward a 'chapter' so to speak every so often... That way there can be some discussion on each 'chapter' and not the whole thing all at once.
Lets see how far into the alphabet we can get to without any problems.
You would probably need a few legitimate books of reference to use.....for instance, I think goldmans piece of trash could be omitted.
Yes, you are right Carolyn. I think taking it "chapter by chapter" might work better than taking it on in its entirety. Which would then lead to a possible burn out and the idea completely falling apart with little and dissapointing results.

The only way to ensure that it doesn't fail is to install a new thinking at this messageboard in the most grand of senses: Everyone has to be on board and be constantly aware of the Library. It has to go completely hand-in-hand with the messageboard. It's a perfect example of before and after. Conversations and discussions start in the messageboard and documented facts end in the Library.

FECC has replied with great interest, they need to discuss if it is technically possible for them to do it. We'll see where this goes...if it indeed ends in "tears."
My Tears comment was said in jest. We can't have a decent topic of Conversation at the Minute without Someone putting the Boot in either by saying my fact is better than your fact or I am right and you are wrong........then the Name calling starts........then much worse than that Personal details dished out. Your idea was a Brilliant one which I said at the beginning but tried to sugar coat the downside of it by saying the Art of Conversation would be killed off.........

Go for it I wish You all the Best of Luck!!


I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

User avatar

drjohncarpenter
Posts: 108280
Registered for: 21 years 3 months
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 11984 times
Been thanked: 35474 times
Age: 89

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
Daryl wrote:Fact: It was Jerry Schilling who handed Elvis the crown at the end of "Aloha From Hawaii." And yet he inexplicably forgets to mention it in his book "Me And A Guy Named Elvis."[/b]
I always thought it was a woman from the audience :shock:
Yes. And so, my recommendation comes true, in less than 24 hours.

I warned you!

Anyone with the deluxe 2004 DVD can easily see who hands Elvis the prop.


.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

User avatar

thefunkyangel
Posts: 8946
Registered for: 19 years 10 months
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 1132 times
Age: 56

Post by thefunkyangel »

DJC, take another look at Burning Love :roll:!




Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Posts: 1810
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Post by Daryl »

Fact #2: "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" was added to the set list during rehearsals. In an interview James Burton has stated that he was fooling around with "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" during the rehearsals and that Elvis asked what he was playing, that it sounded familiar to Elvis. Obviously James told Elvis that it was "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and it was added to the set list for the show.

Although James was familiar with Hank Williams' 1949 original for MGM (#10560) as well as B.J. Thomas and The Triumphs' 1966 pop hit for Scepter (#12129), he probably was reminded by Charlie McCoy's 1972 instrumental version for Monument (#8546) which reached #23 on Billboard's country charts that summer.

Daryl




Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
thefunkyangel wrote:IMETJB, the production team had huge cue cards lifted up so Presley could read the lyrics to Burning Love! Watch Presley read, rather sneakly, lyrics of My Way, on Charlie's music stand!
No. The only photo evidence of cue cards is for "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," as seen at the January 13 soundcheck.
Wrong again, Doc :smt018

Image




Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Contrary to popular myth.....'Aloha From Hawaii' was not actually taped in Hawaii........but at the 'Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club 'in Barnsley, England! Further......Jack Lord won a joint of beef in that night's raffle!

Seriously (me?), Just as the '68 special had a tie-in with 'Singer', 'Aloha' had a tie-in with 'Chicken-of-the-Sea' and a 4 track 'COTS' EP was released which is a rare piece of EP vinyl. I had it once. :D




jbgude
Posts: 644
Registered for: 21 years
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Post by jbgude »

Around Jan 1993 "Aloha " was shown in India on national TV ( first time ever an Elvis movie or show )- by the state broadcaster:

As the credits rolled, there were an amazing number of Indian TV Producer / Director /Music Directors/ Dance Directors/ Chreographers and even Dancers that were involved in putting the show together ! :D

No kidding, some guys at the state broadcasting house must have made a killing claiming they put the show together - and got paid for it ! :wink:




Mike S
Posts: 4202
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Post by Mike S »

.
Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.




tcb4
Posts: 4810
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Location: France
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 27 times

re

Post by tcb4 »

Daryl wrote: Although James was familiar with Hank Williams' 1949 original for MGM (#10560) as well as B.J. Thomas and The Triumphs' 1966 pop hit for Scepter (#12129), he probably was reminded by Charlie McCoy's 1972 instrumental version for Monument (#8546) which reached #23 on Billboard's country charts that summer.
Daryl
or jerry lee lewis who would have sing the song live in those years ( 1971-1972 ). ( JB & JLL knew each other already in 71 )




Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.