Aloha Concerts--Questions??

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Fonzie

Post by Fonzie »

Only a nerd would hijack an Elvis topic and turn it into a totally different subject.

Remember........Aloha ?

Somebody ought to go to the busiest Beatles MB and go to a thread about Sgt. Pecker and hijack that into a thread about "Clambake"

LOL Aaaayyyyy :twisted:
Last edited by Fonzie on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Fonzie wrote:Only a nerd would hijack an Elvis topic and turn it into a totally different subject.

Remember........Aloha ?
Aloha.... yep. Truly A highlight of Elvis' career. Not a perfect performance by any stretch, but most certainly not the mung pile others try to pass it off as. Me, I love it.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Fonzie wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:Thanks for bringing yet more clarity to this thread, Doc. It might go unappreciated by the hatemongerers, but it doesn't go unappreciated by me.

Wow- that sucking-up sucking sound could be heard all way across the hemishpere.
It's called "respect". Something you would know little about.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Fonzie wrote:Somebody ought to go to the busiest Beatles MB and go to a thread about Sgt. Pecker and hijack that into a thread about "Clambake" ...
Hey, Arthur, it's 1984, and your show is just about to be cancelled.

Have you done any "Gardening" lately? It apparently keeps a person in great "Shape."

And some people can do it almost at the "Speed of Light" -- or so I was told by someone who had a bad "Fever" one time.

I guess I should quit "Garon-ing" on here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Me2 wrote:"Fine" isn't even really a compliment is it?
Well, you'd have to be able to put it into context to determine whether or not what was said was a compliment. I'll make it easy--yes, it was a compliment.

Does "groovy," "nifty" or "keen" work better for you?

Denman
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Denman »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Denman wrote:My favorite rock vocals from the Beatles from the songs I've heard is John Lennon singing Helter Skelter.
Man, you really know your stuff ...
WOW, I must be able to look in the future. I was already waiting for you to make this kinda post and take your revenge chance for me not agreeing with you on the Last Farwell topic. Yeah, they're all probably right; you really try to put every one down who has disagreed with you once, and this was your ultimate chance, not?
I can already see you sitting behind your desk with an arrogant-superior looking smile on your face and like: "Yes, now it's my turn."
Feels good, doesn't it? :twisted:

Even though I don't share their visions on any political, moral, social, etc subject, I can now understand guys like Squirrel and GG.
:roll: Well......a bit then.

Well, have a nice evening, Doc. (Or whatever it is in America) And I really mean that, cause eventhough I don't always agree, I like reading your well informed posts. See ya. :wink:

"If this suit weren't too tight."

drjohncarpenter

Denman wrote:Well, have a nice evening, Doc. (Or whatever it is in America) And I really mean that, cause eventhough I don't always agree, I like reading your well informed posts.
To get respect, you must give it. Your last comment above is a good start, and it is appreciated. You sometimes present a harsh manner in your debating style, which leaves you open to a reply like above.

BTW, I don't have a problem with what songs you like or dislike, it's just that an argument or opinion needs to be well-reasoned, or one must face the consequences in an intelligent discussion. The "Chat-Talk" section is for those members who cannot manage this.

Incidently, I happen to be listening to the MONO version of the white album, and "Helter Skelter." The mix is significantly different, almost a little scarier!

Rock on, Denman. I like your avatar, too.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Fonzie

Post by Fonzie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:one must face the consequences in an intelligent discussion.
LOL

Exactly what are "the consequences" ?

Being attacked by the Doc and labeled ignorant and a fool?

Doc, your viscious insulting vocabulary is not "intelligent" at all. Just plain rude, snide and pompous.

How many times have you used the word fool in the Aloha thread? Too much. Where's the FECC moderator (the real one?)

To get respect, you must give it.
Respect, Doc? You never give it.
And you don't often get it because you don't deserve it.

No.

Denman
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Denman »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Denman wrote:Well, have a nice evening, Doc. (Or whatever it is in America) And I really mean that, cause eventhough I don't always agree, I like reading your well informed posts.
To get respect, you must give it. Your last comment above is a good start, and it is appreciated. You sometimes present a harsh manner in your debating style, which leaves you open to a reply like above.

BTW, I don't have a problem with what songs you like or dislike, it's just that an argument or opinion needs to be well-reasoned, or one must face the consequences in an intelligent discussion. The "Chat-Talk" section is for those members who cannot manage this.

Incidently, I happen to be listening to the MONO version of the white album, and "Helter Skelter." The mix is significantly different, almost a little scarier!

Rock on, Denman. I like your avatar, too.
It was my own fault I did say it was John, a friend told me, and I didn't pay that much attention to the song, I just heard for the second time or something. Now I listen better, I can actually hear it's Paul. :roll:
Well, sometimes when I get passionate about something, or when I'm tired (like right now) or irritated I just flip it out, that's what I did in my reaction. But while writing it, I thought rationally and my reaction wasn't fair. That's why I wrote the part you quoted. But to make it understandable and in the right context, I did not remove the first part, the emotional reaction. It also wouldn't be honest. And I still have much to learn in the Elvis world, discovering all kinds of things every day. I'm glad you can help me with that. I have to be honest: when I see a topic with the name drjohncarpenter as creator or last post, that's the first topic I check, every day...

By the way; have you seen the acoustic demo of Helter Skelter on youtube.com;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNV5O1qEPI&search=beatles%20helter%20skelter :wink:

"If this suit weren't too tight."

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Thomas »

Cryogenic wrote:Thanks for bringing yet more clarity to this thread, Doc. It might go unappreciated by the hatemongerers, but it doesn't go unappreciated by me.
*** THROWING UP MY DINNER ***

drjohncarpenter

Fonzie wrote:Exactly what are "the consequences" ?
No one knows better than you, given the number of times you've been kicked off the MB.
Denman wrote:I have to be honest: when I see a topic with the name drjohncarpenter as creator or last post, that's the first topic I check, every day...
Wow! I'll always try to live up to that, Denman, thank you very much for the compliment.

And yes, I've seen the demo, Paul busking the tune at Abbey Road in June 1968 -- pretty cool. it sounds a lot like the full band outtake on Anthology 3, emphasis on the blues.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

sam

Post by sam »

I love you to Doc.

:smt073

drjohncarpenter

sam wrote:I love you to Doc.
8,300+ posts and you can't even compose a coherent sentence.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
May I try??

Doc, you are a very rude and arrogant person. I would bet Elvis wouldn't like you very much. how's that for coherent?

Getlo

Post by Getlo »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Incidently, I happen to be listening to the MONO version of the white album, and "Helter Skelter." The mix is significantly different, almost a little scarier!
Hey, guess what - I am listening to ELVIS! :shock: The Jungle Room Sessions to be precise. Fantastic... oh, and it's a STEREO mix! Significantly different to the "Moody Blue" and "Elvis Presley Boulevard" mixes.

Keep listening to the Beatles Doc. This is an Elvis message board, or have you forgotten?

Getlo

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

What we have to bash any act that wasn't literally Elvis? I'm no Doc disciple and clash on occasion with him, but he hardly inflicts the Beatles on other people. He just ably defends their own separate artistic achievement whenever someone takes a pointless swipe at them.

re: ALOHA vs. the '68 SPECIAL
Scatter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:
Scatter wrote:I've always been taken aback by the nitpicking criticisms of the Aloha event.

It seems more an expression of regret for what Elvis became rather than the quality of the performance (which to me is nearly unassailable).
I would argue, and have indeed been doing so, that the two are interlinked.
Scatter wrote:The irony of the situation is.........Aloha provides a truer representation of who Elvis really was as a person (purposely, and on multiple levels) than any other performance he ever gave.
I think I see what you're saying, and from a certain point of view, I might agree, but don't you think that this was true of every performance Elvis gave? Isn't that an intrinsic apart of his appeal? And, if it is, how can one show be more revealing than another? I dunno. I think "Aloha" was and is a good slice of him at that point in '73 -- just as the "Comeback Special" was and is for mid '68.
The black leather of '68 wasn't purposely commissioned by Elvis to represent anything or convey a statement to anyone.........the Bald Eagle and Red, White, and Blue of the Aloha jumpsuit was purposely chosen as personally revelatory. A statement to the world of who he was and what he believed.

And for goodness sake, let's hope that stuff like the "Blue Gypsy" wasn't purposely chosen to make a statement........cuz goodness knows what THAT says :lol: :lol:

Scat, I got the distinct impression from Peter Guralnick's chapter on the '68 special that Elvis was very much a part of the inspiration, conception and execution of the '68 TV Special in both specific (concrete) and general ways, to say nothing of pouring his entire heart and soul into the production for weeks. As epochal as ALOHA was, can we really say it rivaled his own imput and embrace of the '68 special (and the gusto it gave him through 1970)?

The '68 special's aim was to re-introduce Elvis for modern audiences by telling his own tale. The leather suit was not his idea (and wasn't truly historically correct) but he apparently loved the idea as I recall and used it to convey his old "dangerousness" as the baggy pant look of '56 really would not have cut it anymore and the "rebel" denim look of "Loving You" (the closest thing in spirit to the leather in my view) was just a bit too shaggy and rough-hewn. Factor in how much performing with a truly live audience (unlike the on-a-leash Aloha show) and you have raw Elvis in '68, compared to the more scripted "recital-like" Aloha, which I love as well, for the record.

Guralnick's book and those terrific interviews with the writers, producers, directors etc (Binder, Blye, Beard, etc.) on Sirius radio (and Elvissessions' link to it recently) really bring home how much '68 was an expression of Elvis, arguably much more than Aloha. Here are talented Hollywood artists, creators, etc. waxing so positively about the King's surprising commitment, engagement and personality during those weeks.

The love for the man really comes through from guys who really didn't have to like Elvis if they didn't want to (and in some cases were originally quite skeptical) and that too seems like an example of art reflecting someone's (Elvis) genuine self. That is, Elvis fed them his spirit and they refined it (by conceiving a sit-down portion that actually was something they were witnessing in the dressing room each day) and then he fed it back by executing it in the final show.

As a (non-Beatle)aside ):

Melanie:
Melanie wrote:Greg - I checked out the Japanese site that is the source of the photo you posted to see if there are more of those cool screen captures. Anyway I used Babelfish to translate the complete text and the results never cease to amaze me. You just can't make stuff like this up. LOL Check out the song list.

1 CC rider/jump all light/write
2 eye gutter woman
3 ? me
4 if u ? me
5 fair retail
6 u ? me ?
8 burning ?
9 R&R medley
10 the wander of u
11 blue Hawaii
12 The bridge which is depended on 12 tomorrow
13 ? mind
14 We would like to believe 14 you
15 American the ? ...

or

As for G tonight with feeling of love [Tonight Is So Right For Love]
H the shopping which is utilized [Shoppin' Around]
In I pocket rainbow fullest capacity [Pocketful of Rainbows]
The A desire served [My Wish Came True]
B fireplace foam/home [I'm Coming Home]

Very funny detective work! At the risk of offending any sensitive souls, you might also get a kick out of this website:

http://www.engrish.com/
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

drjohncarpenter

Kylan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
May I try?? Doc, you are a very rude and arrogant person.
A statement of fact is neither rude nor arrogant, at least not in the real world.

You do get credit for not using your usual, lazy "u" instead of "you" in what appears to be a complete sentence or two!

Have a nice weekend, and keep loving Elvis!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

The website I refer to that aids in rebutting Scat's claim is:

http://www.elvissessions.com/68ComebackSpecial.html

Terrific interviews - with audio!

Thanks again to ES...!

:D :D

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

DJC Quote: A statement of fact is neither rude nor arrogant, at least not in the real world.

Not completely true.
There are times in the real world it is best to keep quiet.
Example: If your wife asked you, " Do these pants make me look fat"?
It's best not to state the fact in this case, even if its true.
There are many such happenstances that will come up in life where not stating the fact is a better choice in the long run.

Food for thought. Eat up!
Last edited by ekenee on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Me2
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Me2 »

Fonzie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Wow- that sucking-up sucking sound could be heard all way across the hemishpere.

BTW, what do the Beatles have to do with ALOHA

:?: :!:

Another ELVIS THREAD ruined.

But I maintain that Harrison's Live 1970s "Something" pales in comparison to the "Something" by Elvis & TCB Band

Trust The Fonz

Same here. Harrison had a wimpy voice.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Kylan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
May I try?? Doc, you are a very rude and arrogant person.
A statement of fact is neither rude nor arrogant, at least not in the real world.

You do get credit for not using your usual, lazy "u" instead of "you" in what appears to be a complete sentence or two!

Have a nice weekend, and keep loving Elvis!
I was referring to your overall personality that u exhibit, not a specific example in this thread, but i appreciate that u pay such close attention to my posts that u know exactly when i use the u instead of you, u know.
Last edited by Kylan on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Thomas »

Example: If your wife asked you, " Do these pants make me look fat"?
Bad Example. In this case, if you say nothing, she changes three times until you mumble something :lol:
Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Me2

Post by Me2 »

KHoots wrote:
Me2 wrote:"Fine" isn't even really a compliment is it?
Well, you'd have to be able to put it into context to determine whether or not what was said was a compliment. I'll make it easy--yes, it was a compliment.

Does "groovy," "nifty" or "keen" work better for you?
Elvis's singing - GREAT.

Beatles singing - fine

Me2

Post by Me2 »

Denman wrote:
CD King wrote:The Beatles are definately the Greatest and best rock n roll group of all time.
Nope, the Rolling Stones are.
Neither of them are.

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Scatter »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:What we have to bash any act that wasn't literally Elvis? I'm no Doc disciple and clash on occasion with him, but he hardly inflicts the Beatles on other people. He just ably defends their own separate artistic achievement whenever someone takes a pointless swipe at them.

re: ALOHA vs. the '68 SPECIAL
Scatter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:
Scatter wrote:I've always been taken aback by the nitpicking criticisms of the Aloha event.

It seems more an expression of regret for what Elvis became rather than the quality of the performance (which to me is nearly unassailable).
I would argue, and have indeed been doing so, that the two are interlinked.
Scatter wrote:The irony of the situation is.........Aloha provides a truer representation of who Elvis really was as a person (purposely, and on multiple levels) than any other performance he ever gave.
I think I see what you're saying, and from a certain point of view, I might agree, but don't you think that this was true of every performance Elvis gave? Isn't that an intrinsic apart of his appeal? And, if it is, how can one show be more revealing than another? I dunno. I think "Aloha" was and is a good slice of him at that point in '73 -- just as the "Comeback Special" was and is for mid '68.
The black leather of '68 wasn't purposely commissioned by Elvis to represent anything or convey a statement to anyone.........the Bald Eagle and Red, White, and Blue of the Aloha jumpsuit was purposely chosen as personally revelatory. A statement to the world of who he was and what he believed.

And for goodness sake, let's hope that stuff like the "Blue Gypsy" wasn't purposely chosen to make a statement........cuz goodness knows what THAT says :lol: :lol:

Scat, I got the distinct impression from Peter Guralnick's chapter on the '68 special that Elvis was very much a part of the inspiration, conception and execution of the '68 TV Special in both specific (concrete) and general ways, to say nothing of pouring his entire heart and soul into the production for weeks. As epochal as ALOHA was, can we really say it rivaled his own imput and embrace of the '68 special (and the gusto it gave him through 1970)?

The '68 special's aim was to re-introduce Elvis for modern audiences by telling his own tale. The leather suit was not his idea (and wasn't truly historically correct) but he apparently loved the idea as I recall and used it to convey his old "dangerousness" as the baggy pant look of '56 really would not have cut it anymore and the "rebel" denim look of "Loving You" (the closest thing in spirit to the leather in my view) was just a bit too shaggy and rough-hewn. Factor in how much performing with a truly live audience (unlike the on-a-leash Aloha show) and you have raw Elvis in '68, compared to the more scripted "recital-like" Aloha, which I love as well, for the record.

Guralnick's book and those terrific interviews with the writers, producers, directors etc (Binder, Blye, Beard, etc.) on Sirius radio (and Elvissessions' link to it recently) really bring home how much '68 was an expression of Elvis, arguably much more than Aloha. Here are talented Hollywood artists, creators, etc. waxing so positively about the King's surprising commitment, engagement and personality during those weeks.

The love for the man really comes through from guys who really didn't have to like Elvis if they didn't want to (and in some cases were originally quite skeptical) and that too seems like an example of art reflecting someone's (Elvis) genuine self. That is, Elvis fed them his spirit and they refined it (by conceiving a sit-down portion that actually was something they were witnessing in the dressing room each day) and then he fed it back by executing it in the final show.

As a (non-Beatle)aside ):

Melanie:
Melanie wrote:Greg - I checked out the Japanese site that is the source of the photo you posted to see if there are more of those cool screen captures. Anyway I used Babelfish to translate the complete text and the results never cease to amaze me. You just can't make stuff like this up. LOL Check out the song list.

1 CC rider/jump all light/write
2 eye gutter woman
3 ? me
4 if u ? me
5 fair retail
6 u ? me ?
8 burning ?
9 R&R medley
10 the wander of u
11 blue Hawaii
12 The bridge which is depended on 12 tomorrow
13 ? mind
14 We would like to believe 14 you
15 American the ? ...

or

As for G tonight with feeling of love [Tonight Is So Right For Love]
H the shopping which is utilized [Shoppin' Around]
In I pocket rainbow fullest capacity [Pocketful of Rainbows]
The A desire served [My Wish Came True]
B fireplace foam/home [I'm Coming Home]

Very funny detective work! At the risk of offending any sensitive souls, you might also get a kick out of this website:

http://www.engrish.com/
Greg, during the '68 Special, Elvis was hardly ripping off ideas for the production. There was a script, and he followed it. There was a concept, and he followed it. The only thing PERSONALLY revelatory about the Special was the fact that Elvis wanted to chuck the Christmas fiasco and show he had had enough of the Colonel.
What '68 reveals is his CAREER........it's a synopsis of that, set to music. It's not revelatory on a personal level. Hell, the dressing room session inclusion wasn't even Elvis' idea........He didn't run up to Binder and say "Let's put our jam sessions on stage and show the world something about ME personally". That was not his aim.........and the interviews don't show otherwise. He had input........he was excited and engaged........he was NOT using it as a platform in the way he did Aloha IMO.