Aloha From Hawaii - Revisited

Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Aloha From Hawaii - Revisited

Post by ColinB »

Thanks for the interesting review, shane.
shanebrown wrote:...."Something" follows.
This is a pale comparison of the master from 1970 that had been sitting in the vaults for three years.
Never been sure what the 'master' version means with the live songs.

Is it simply that 'they' consider a particular version to be the best; the one to use if a live cut of that song is needed on a compilation or for a single ?

So what if a lesser performance surfaces in better sound ?

Or a better performance in worse audio ?

It all seems a bit arbitrary !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Aloha From Hawaii

Post by Guest »

Good interesting review Shane. I enjoyed reading it and appreciate your observations.

Scott Haigh 781990EP
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Scott Haigh 781990EP »

I have to disagree with 'sloppy breath control' in 'I'm so lonesome i could cry' . To my ears, it is apart of the melody in the song, and even though it pales in comparison with performances such as 'You gave me a mountain', and 'What now my love', he succeeds in getting the sincere emotions across.

Even i have to agree here, Elvis could've put in a more inspired performance, but hell, if i was performing in front of a possible quarter of the world population, i would'nt do much better. Considering the pressures he was under, Elvis NAILED IT. It can be reviewed as Elvis's greatest professional performance. The diction in some of his songs, the note for note perfection, the appearance of him. It was the triumph of triumphs

There could've been fairly better performance selections. For example, he could've included 'Its impossible' over 'Something', and for songs like 'Love me' and 'Blue suede shoes', could've put in performances he actually enjoyed like 'Little sister/get back', or 'Memphis Tennessee', to represent where he lived to the world. But hey, its history, and you can't change it. For what its worth, it was pretty damn good. 8)

I'm like a stranger, like a stranger in my own hometown
My so called friends stopped being friendly, oh but you can't keep a good man down

http://www.myspace.com/musicprisoner

Topic author
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Even i have to agree here, Elvis could've put in a more inspired performance, but hell, if i was performing in front of a possible quarter of the world population, i would'nt do much better.
You're far too modest, Scott, I reckon you'd do a lot better than Elvis.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Scott Haigh 781990EP

Colin, if you think about in context, it don't seem so much of a big thing. But think if you were actually doing it, that'd be one helluva difference

However, now that you mention it, i honestly don't know how i'd fare up with it. It would depend on the songs i picked. But i can't think of a performer today, that could've pulled it off like Elvis did.

My so called friends stopped being friendly, oh but you can't keep a good man down

Aloha From Hawaii

Post by Guest »

It is likely that nerves along with time restrictions for satellite coverage were resonsible for Elvis' very focused performance on this occasion. Nonetheless it still remains a great show.

Aloha From Hawaii

Post by Guest »

By focused, I meant that there was little sign of his trademark humour or audience interaction. As regards his performance, perhaps nerves or medication played a part. All speculation of course, we will never know for sure.

Certainly his energy level appears low for this show, but then again he had just been on a crash diet.

The main point is that the show was a huge success with some great standout performances.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

I thought his performance was great as he nailed at least a dozen songs. There has to be a reason for this DVD to sell tremendously and the album to have been no.1. That being said, thanks for your time and effort with your review Shane, though our opinions differ.

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

Very sharp review. I disagree with you on some particulars. I like the "Burning Love" and I've never been convinced Elvis didn't care for the song. I think it benefits from the slight tempo although it's not a patch on the master. I wonder if the part on "Lonesome" is botched breath control or deliberate phrasing. I like "Steamroller Blues" but the Vegas horns overpower its bluesy qualities. "What Now My Love" is just a song I've never taken to even though Elvis gives it a college try, it sounds stiff. Even that great ending can't provide legitimacy to the phony melodrama. And I much, much prefer the 77 "My Way".

Overall though I find your assessment spot on. To me, Elvis' voice is pinched and nasal throughout the show. There is a little in the way of inspiration throughout the show. Elvis' sense of spontaneity and humor are MIA. They're all over "That's the Way it Is" and "On Tour" but not even hinted at here. Compare to the "CC Rider" that starts this show and the one that opens "On Tour". Elvis' body movements are more dramatic and fluid and his singing more forceful. I can't find a single performance here save perhaps "Lonesome" and "Steamroller Blues" that Elvis didn't better or just as well elsewhere.

The reason it sold was the novelty of what was at the time a groundbreaking television event and the relative novelty of a televised Elvis concert. Unlike other live performances of the period, there was also a lot of material that had not been on record before (something like nine songs) although we later found out many of the tunes had been in the show for a few years. Over the years because it was a groundbreaking event and the one widely available video representation of an Elvis concert from beginning to end it has attracted a lot of interest. Even more Elvis' physical appearance on the show was just as iconic as the '68 black leather and the 50s Golden God (and sadly the '77 TV show). So, the show came to represent Elvis. Also, it is a solid show and a solid show is still pretty good.

Still, I'd much rather listen to MSG, TTWII, the 69 Vegas season, even New Year's 76.

Scott Haigh 781990EP

It may not be his best, but its definitely not his worst. But i ahve to say, it is his PROFESSIONAL best, and it still blows almost every other artist of today away

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

ALOHA -revisited -

Post by karlos »

good review Shane . :lol:
U are also right Scott Haigh .- in what you say -

As a fan myself for many years I like the concert that was performed By The King on Jan. 14th 73 .- :wink:

He was very nervous doing this show on that date especially to the world :wink:

A good show with great songs -.
i really like this show.- :wink: :wink:

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Nice review and good conversation. While Aloha is not my favorite Elvis concert (I prefer TTWII, MSG, and the 1971 concerts I attended), artisitcally he is solid. He nails all of the songs except... why in front of a global audience does he do a less than 60 second Hound Dog? He seemed to enjoy "Fever" and "Big Hunk O'Love" and he was in top form on What Now My Love, I'll Remember You," and "An American Trilogy." The variety of songs selected does show the diversity of Elvis and his ability to sing any type of song and do it well. It is hard for me to say anything critical about this performance however, since Elvis did it for charity.

eric c
Registered for: 2 years 9 months

Post by eric c »

his zenith.

ELVIS ROCKS