TUPELO´S OWN ELVIS review

Post Here All Reviews Of Books/Magazines

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

TUPELO´S OWN ELVIS review

Post by jeanno »

Yesterday morning, while i was at work, i received a phone call from my wife. She just said: << “It” is here.>> I asked: <<How do you know that “it” is what I hope it is?>> Answer: <<Because it comes from England and…..>> She had no time to finish the explanation: I was already there hanging up the mail package. So I opened it and I must say that the first impression was pretty bad.

THE MAIL PACK
I´ve been ordering CDs and DVDs for several years through virtual stores, e-bay, etc. Usually, they send the items in protected envelopes so the articles can´t be damaged during the travel. Unfortunately, it was not the case with Memphis Recording Service and, as a result, although I received the package rather quickly, it was also damaged with several fold zones. Which is a shame.
MAIL PACK NOTE: 6/10

THE PACKAGE

Apart from that, there is very little to complain about that terrific release. The package and overall design are great. The front colorized picture job was done tastefully. The back and insert parts are also pretty well down, very “pro”. Even the sticker is a winner! And best of all, the DVD “reel” design : it looks like the MRS team did care for the details and the quality.
DESIGN/PACKAGE NOTE: 10/10

THE DVD
Here is the centrepiece of the project. And I have to say that you can´t be disappointed with such material. The “parade” footage is good to see as it puts you in the right context with color and b&w footage. You can watch there some well known clips if you are a regular visitor of Keith Flynn excellent data base. The interviews of Elvis Parents are well worth hearing too.
The afternoon show footage is wonderful and electrifying: here is Elvis in his prime rocking and rolling in front of 11.000 people. Sincerely, this is the hottest Presley material I´ve ever seen. There are several complete songs (Heartbreak Hotel, Long Tall Sally, I Was The One, Don´t Be Cruel…) but even the snippets, bits and pieces of I Got A Woman or Hound Dog are fun. My only complain is the fact that several audience sequences are repeated several times to fill the footage “holes”. Instead, they could have used some pictures (like in the key of the city sequence) or Keith´s video clips instead of keeping them for the parade sequence. But apart from that minor minus, the whole material is sensational.
The evening show and 1957 footages are nice extras to complete it all, just like the audio section with both 1956 shows and an outstanding interview from 1957.
DVD NOTE: 9.5/10

THE BOOK
Another essential item from the pack is an almost 200 pages book that gathers most of the information of Elvis´ relation with his hometown. The pictures of a very young Presley are true highlights, just like the recopilation of tones of pro and candid shots from September, 26th 1956 day. I specially like those one with EP still in Hollywood and ready to leave to Tupelo. Nothing to complain about the pictures and the memorablia (posters, press articles, etc.) featured with them: they are deliciously presented and you can´t help going back to the book to watch again that particular shot or to read that 1956 newspaper article. There are not much liner notes but they are still interesting, informative and entertaining. The paper quality is also very good. So get it WITH the book (as it has been said that the book will not be available forever)!
BOOK NOTE: 10/10

HISTORICAL IMPORTANCE OF THE SET : 10/10

FINAL NOTE: 9.1/10, ESSENTIAL!!!

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ekenee »

Jeanno, mine was damaged in the mail as well. The left side of the outer part was dented in and folds resulted. Now my set is not mint.
These types of sets should be sent in cardboard protective boxes.

I agree with your review except for one thing. AS many times as the audience clips were used to cut in, I don't think that all were done to just fill in. MY feeling is that we did lose a few seconds of Elvis for this 'atmosphere' created. I would like to know for sure though.

Topic author
jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

AS many times as the audience clips were used to cut in, I don't think that all were done to just fill in. MY feeling is that we did lose a few seconds of Elvis for this 'atmosphere' created. I would like to know for sure though.
That would be a shame! Maybe the raw / unedited footage should have been added too in the set. Still, apart from that, the whole thing remains essential. Let´s wait now for the other essential project: Ernst´s SUN box.