And now, the end is near ...

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic



ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Posts: 9807
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Post by ekenee »

Colin wrote: Just a couple of points.

If your guests objected to removing their shoes, you'd ask them to leave.

You wouldn't threaten to knock your whole house down, would you ?

On a personal note, I would feel it kinda insulting to my guests if I required them to remove their shoes when visiting me.

If my decor was so delicate [white carpets or whatever] that it needed this, then it would be my choice of furnishing that was at fault.

Not my guests footwear !

****************************************************

All very good points. and Very wise. I agree. Where does it stop really?

What if I was to tell all my guests they had to take off all their clothes?

I don't understand people like this.
Do they make you take your shoes off in your car?
Do they not realize that bare feet or socks are just as dirty?
Do they not let you drink from the cups in your kitchen?
Do they not let you use the bathroom?
People that do this have a power issue.

They had a whole episode of "curb your enthusiasm" about this issue.

And do you think a millionaire like Elvis who lived in a mansion made his guests take off their shoes? I have never heard that he did.
If the carpet gets dirty from traffic, you clean it.




Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Thqat's exactly what you can do if the guests break your house rules.

But they are unlikely to break them if they've agreed to do it in order to come in.

If you don't like / lack the ability to understand ad / or agree to the house rules it's simple - go elsewhere.

Go naked / wear bondage gear / dress as a priate / whatever / it doesn't matter what the rules are - don't wanna play by the rules - just play elsewhere.



User avatar

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Posts: 5095
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: The Royal Borough
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Post by Spellbinder »

Steve has every right to ask his visitors to remove their shoes before entering his house. But I hope he provides slippers for them (as is common in some cultures in the east).

If I were asked to take off my shoes and slippers were not provided I would, of course, comply without any sign of complaint, but I sure would never visit again. (This could be a sound reason to ask me to take off the shoes.)
Last edited by Spellbinder on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar

ColinB
Posts: 29384
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: Gravesend, UK
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Post by ColinB »

Spellbinder wrote:Colin has every right to ask his visitors to remove their shoes before entering his house.
But I hope he provides slippers for them (as is common in some cultures in the east).
Hey, Spelly, I was the one saying I wouldn't ask guests to do that !

Get it right !


Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

User avatar

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Posts: 5095
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: The Royal Borough
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Post by Spellbinder »

ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:Colin has every right to ask his visitors to remove their shoes before entering his house.
But I hope he provides slippers for them (as is common in some cultures in the east).
Hey, Spelly, I was the one saying I wouldn't ask guests to do that !

Get it right !
OK Colin, I apologise. Unintentional. I've corrected my original post.

But I'm sure you do equally strange things to your guests - you just don't brag about it.



User avatar

ColinB
Posts: 29384
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: Gravesend, UK
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Post by ColinB »

Spellbinder wrote:OK Colin, I apologise.
Unintentional.
I've corrected my original post.

But I'm sure you do equally strange things to your guests - you just don't brag about it.
As I am well-known [in my circle] as a life-long non-smoker, my guests never smoke in my house.

I've never requested them to refrain from doing so, though.

I suppose, as it's my home, i can impose any rules I like on visitors.

But if the rules you set go beyond what is socially acceptable, you won't get many guests making a return visit......


Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire


Vissie
Posts: 1316
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by Vissie »

ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:OK Colin, I apologise.
Unintentional.
I've corrected my original post.

But I'm sure you do equally strange things to your guests - you just don't brag about it.
As I am well-known [in my circle] as a life-long non-smoker, my guests never smoke in my house.

I've never requested them to refrain from doing so, though.

I suppose, as it's my home, i can impose any rules I like on visitors.

But if the rules you set go beyond what is socially acceptable, you won't get many guests making a return visit......
Steve_M is on track.

As for my own home, I don't allow smoking inside. Want your cig? Step outside please.



User avatar

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Posts: 5095
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: The Royal Borough
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Post by Spellbinder »

Vissie wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:OK Colin, I apologise.
Unintentional.
I've corrected my original post.

But I'm sure you do equally strange things to your guests - you just don't brag about it.
As I am well-known [in my circle] as a life-long non-smoker, my guests never smoke in my house.

I've never requested them to refrain from doing so, though.

I suppose, as it's my home, i can impose any rules I like on visitors.

But if the rules you set go beyond what is socially acceptable, you won't get many guests making a return visit......
Steve_M is on track.

As for my own home, I don't allow smoking inside. Want your cig? Step outside please.
We don't have smoking in our home. But as a general rule we don't insist visitors discard their shoes or walk on their hands.




Vissie
Posts: 1316
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by Vissie »

Spellbinder wrote:
Vissie wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:OK Colin, I apologise.
Unintentional.
I've corrected my original post.

But I'm sure you do equally strange things to your guests - you just don't brag about it.
As I am well-known [in my circle] as a life-long non-smoker, my guests never smoke in my house.

I've never requested them to refrain from doing so, though.

I suppose, as it's my home, i can impose any rules I like on visitors.

But if the rules you set go beyond what is socially acceptable, you won't get many guests making a return visit......
Steve_M is on track.

As for my own home, I don't allow smoking inside. Want your cig? Step outside please.
We don't have smoking in our home. But as a general rule we don't insist visitors discard their shoes or walk on their hands.
Maybe it's a regional thing? (not being facetious... honest question)

I grew up in a house where we weren't allowed to wear shoes. My friends didn't wear shoes in their houses either.

I grew up in a snow environment. Perhaps that was a factor.



User avatar

ColinB
Posts: 29384
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: Gravesend, UK
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Post by ColinB »

Vissie wrote:...I grew up in a house where we weren't allowed to wear shoes.
My friends didn't wear shoes in their houses either.

I grew up in a snow environment. ....
Oh, we had a roof on our house....................


Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire


Vissie
Posts: 1316
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by Vissie »

ColinB wrote:
Vissie wrote:...I grew up in a house where we weren't allowed to wear shoes.
My friends didn't wear shoes in their houses either.

I grew up in a snow environment. ....
Oh, we had a roof on our house....................
Oh, we didn't need one of those. When our house became untidy, we just sold it and moved.




Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Here's my take on the 'take your shoes off' analogy: If you enter someone's house and it's dry outside and your shoes are clean, and you are forced to remove them (and the carpet's probably an axminster), the owner is being a bit pedantic and doesn't deserve you as a guest. However, if it's absolutely pissing down and your shoes are covered in sh*t, you have an obligation to remove them. It all boils down to whether FECC's carpet is axminster or beige and whether your shoes are clean or covered in sh*t.

If anyone can make sense of the above please PM me. :wink:



User avatar

ColinB
Posts: 29384
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: Gravesend, UK
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Post by ColinB »

Delboy wrote:Here's my take on the 'take your shoes off' analogy: If you enter someone's house and it's dry outside and your shoes are clean, and you are forced to remove them (and the carpet's probably an axminster), the owner is being a bit pedantic and doesn't deserve you as a guest. However, if it's absolutely pissing down and your shoes are covered in sh*t, you have an obligation to remove them. It all boils down to whether FECC's carpet is axminster or beige and whether your shoes are clean or covered in sh*t.

If anyone can make sense of the above please PM me. :wink:
I got a bit lost after 'Heres my take'...........

And Delboy, your avatar !

I like it !

Do you know where I could see some more pics of that girl ?


Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire


Delboy

Post by Delboy »

ColinB wrote:....And Delboy, your avatar ! I like it ! Do you know where I could see some more pics of that girl ?
Without wanting to hijack the thread ... the girl is called Alizee and some bloke started a thread over in the picture section with her pics ... it's proved quite popular amongst discerning board members.



User avatar

ColinB
Posts: 29384
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: Gravesend, UK
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Post by ColinB »

Delboy wrote:
ColinB wrote:....And Delboy, your avatar ! I like it ! Do you know where I could see some more pics of that girl ?
Without wanting to hijack the thread ... the girl is called Alizee and some bloke started a thread over in the picture section with her pics ... it's proved quite popular amongst discerning board members.
Right - thanks !

You can't sleep either ?


Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire


Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Would it not be easier to just lock a thread when it gets rowdy? Edit..just read Pep's post...so EXACTLY!! :)



User avatar

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Posts: 10375
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: U.S. of A.
Has thanked: 675 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Delboy wrote:
ColinB wrote:....And Delboy, your avatar ! I like it ! Do you know where I could see some more pics of that girl ?
Without wanting to hijack the thread ... the girl is called Alizee and some bloke started a thread over in the picture section with her pics ... it's proved quite popular amongst discerning board members.

I haven't heard of this young artist - or the thread dedicated to her.... :lol: How charming. :lol:


Steve, you make your point well, but I hope everyone can just take a deep breath and stick around. Peace to you, either way.


ImageImage
Image
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

User avatar

ColinB
Posts: 29384
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: Gravesend, UK
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Post by ColinB »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Delboy wrote: ... the girl is called Alizee and some bloke started a thread over in the picture section with her pics ... it's proved quite popular amongst discerning board members.

I haven't heard of this young artist - or the thread dedicated to her.... :lol: How charming. :lol:
You should check it out, Greg !!

50,000 viewers can't be wrong !


Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire