R.I.P Duane Eddy

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Another music icon has died. Just announced. Duane was 86 :( :( :(

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/may/01/duane-eddy-grammy-musician-dies

RickGreekElvis
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Re: R.I.P Duane Eddy

Post by RickGreekElvis »

Rest in Peace. He was one of my favorite guitarists.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

another obituary here. This is really devastating loss. Duane and his Rebels group, were Rock n Roll Pioneers :cry:

Duane Eddy, whose use of dramatic single-note melodies on the lower strings of his guitar, pronounced tremolo and vibrato, and liberal doses of echo produced a signature “twangy” sound, died April 30, 2024, just days after his 86th birthday. News of his death, surrounded by family members in Franklin, Tenn., was announced on May 1 by Jay McDowell, a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame’s Education Department, in a Facebook post. No cause of death was revealed. Eddy is said to be the most successful solo instrumentalist in rock history, charting 16 Top 40 singles from 1958 through 1963, with one estimate of his selling more than 100 million records worldwide during his career.

Eddy was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994 and into the Musicians Hall of Fame in 2008. In 2013, he received a Lifetime Achievement Award for Instrumentalist from the Americana Music Association. His 1958 debut album Have ‘Twangy’ Guitar Will Travel was an early rock ‘n’ roll milestone. It charted for 82 weeks, contained six instrumental hits and was the start of a trend in which Eddy’s album titles often punned on the word twang, such as The Twang’s the Thang (1960), Twistin’ ‘n’ Twangin’ (1962) and Twangin’ Up a Storm! (1963).
https://bestclassicbands.com/duane-eddy-obituary-tributes-5-1-24/

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hangin' with Elvis. How Duane Eddy turned from COUNTRY to ROCK N' ROLL. + CHET & MOTHER MAYBELLE

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Duane Eddy - Hits Medley From Buddy Holly & The Crickets A Tribute

Duane Eddy Performs "Rebel-Rouser" | Letterman (1985)

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mister Mike »

Sad news. One of my all-time favorites. RIP Duane. Thanks for that twangy guitar.

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by r&b »

RIP - Another 50's icon gone. Not many R&R hall of famers from that decade are left now. Dion, Little Anthony, Brenda Lee. Mathis with us of course, a non rock and roller, and Connie Francis, not a hall of famer. Duane a guitar legend who's instrumentals were the first I ever bought.

jeremylr
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by jeremylr »

Duane's overdubbed picking can be heard on the 2015 "IF I CAN DREAM: ELVIS PRESLEY WITH THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA" LP on the tracks "An American Trilogy" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water." Wonder how he was invited to participate...

Elfan
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Elfan »

R.I.P Duane

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Growing tributes for the late, great Duane Eddy, including Jimmy PAGE...

JIMMY PAGE Pays Tribute To DUANE EDDY: 'He Was Such A Lovely Man'

LED ZEPPELIN's Jimmy Page has paid tribute to Duane Eddy, a pioneering guitar hero who died earlier this week at age 86. Eddy passed away of cancer Tuesday at the Williamson Health hospital in Franklin, Tennessee, according to his wife, Deed Abbate.

On Friday (May 3),Jimmy took to his Instagram to share the following message: "I am sad to hear of the passing of Duane Eddy. I first saw him perform at the Granada in Kingston in November 1963 and topping the bill that evening was Gene Vincent.

"In 2011, I spoke to Duane on the radio from the BBC Studios as the producers had prepared a link up with him in Nashville. Duane was hosting a tribute programme to Les Paul and we discussed the massive pioneering contribution that Les had presented to the world.

"More recently, in 2018, I had the chance to meet Duane and his wife as he performed at the London Palladium alongside Richard Hawley. He was introduced to the stage that night by Whispering Bob Harris and it was a pleasure to get the chance to meet him: he was such a lovely man.

"Duane Eddy twanged the thang in the late 50s and 60s and you can hear his character sound appearing throughout the decades of popular music. He will be missed and my thoughts are with his family. RIP, Duane."

The Grammy Award-winning American guitarist Eddy had a string of instrumental hits spanning more than four decades. He was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 1994. Eddy devised early in his career a technique that involved playing lead guitar on bass strings, thus producing that characteristic low reverberant "twangy" sound.

Eddy, who moved to Nashville in 1985, recorded more than 50 albums, but was not very active from the 1980s on, "living off my royalties," he said in 1986.

"Duane inspired a generation of guitarists the world over with his unmistakable signature 'Twang' sound," Eddy's representative said after his death.

"He was the first rock and roll guitar god, a truly humble and incredible human being. He will be sorely missed."
https://blabbermouth.net/news/jimmy-page-pays-tribute-to-duane-eddy-he-was-such-a-lovely-man