Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
lovin' EP
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

"My Babe"

Post by lovin' EP »

This has always been a favorite of mine. Elvis really "rocks" it.

Elvisly,

Linda

Thank you Elvis for all the joy you brought (and continue to bring) to my life

brian
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Re: "My Babe"

Post by brian »

Yes. How I wish Elvis had recorded a blues rock album with songs such as this.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

lovin' EP on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 pm wrote:This has always been a favorite of mine. Elvis really "rocks" it.

Elvisly,

Linda

It's a superb cover. Have you ever heard the original #1 r&b hit of "My Babe" that Elvis loved?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by jeanno »

Elvis loves Rhythm & Blues
Volume 1

Trouble
A mess of Blues
Lawdy miss clawdy
Money Honey
Like a Baby
Reconsider Baby
I feel so bad
One night
When it rains it really pours
Girls girls girls
Give me the right
New orleans

Volume 2
Stranger in my own home town
Big Boss man
Hi-heel sneakers
My babe
Down in the alley
Baby what you want me to do
Tiger man
Merry christmas Baby
Got my mojo workin'
Steamroller blues
Fool fool fool

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

My favorite version,and its a little longer than the master.

Topic author
lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

drjohncarpenter on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:57 am wrote:
lovin' EP on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 pm wrote:This has always been a favorite of mine. Elvis really "rocks" it.

Elvisly,

Linda

It's a superb cover. Have you ever heard the original #1 r&b hit of "My Babe" that Elvis loved?

Doc, I've never heard the version you are referencing. Is it on YouTube that you could post it?

Elvisly,

Linda

Topic author
lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

Doc, is this the version you are talking about? It's great. But you can't mess up a fantastic song!

Elvisly,

Linda

drjohncarpenter

lovin' EP on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 am wrote:Doc, is this the version you are talking about? It's great. But you can't mess up a fantastic song!

Elvisly,

Linda

That's the one.

Little Walter and His Jukes, "My Babe" (Checker 811, February 19, 1955)
Written by blues great Willie Dixon, Billboard Rhythm and Blues "Best Sellers in Stores" #1 on April 23, 1955.

There is no doubt the twenty year old singer was blown away by this one. And many others that topped the r&b charts that year. One look at the list proves that beyond any doubt. We have recordings by Elvis of almost every single one.

January 15: "Earth Angel (Will You Be Mine)" — The Penguins (3 weeks) - Dootone 348
January 22: "Sincerely" — The Moonglows (2 weeks)* - CHESS 1581
February 12: "Pledging My Love" — Johnny Ace (10 weeks)* - DUKE 136
April 9: "The Wallflower" — Etta James (4 weeks)* - MODERN 947
April 23: "My Babe" — Little Walter (5 weeks)* - CHECKER 811
May 7: "I Got a Woman" — Ray Charles (1 week) - ATLANTIC 1050
May 21: "Unchained Melody" — Roy Hamilton (3 weeks) - EPIC 9102
June 11: "Ain't That a Shame" — Fats Domino (1 week) - IMPERIAL 5348
June 18: "Unchained Melody" — Al Hibbler (1 week) - DECCA 29441
June 25: "Bo Diddley" — Bo Diddley (2 weeks)* - CHECKER 814
August 6: "A Fool for You" — Ray Charles (1 week) - ATLANTIC 1063
August 20: "Maybellene" — Chuck Berry (11 weeks) - CHESS 1604
October 22: "Only You (and You Alone)" — The Platters (7 weeks) - MERCURY 70633
October 29: "All by Myself" — Fats Domino (3 weeks) - IMPERIAL 5357
December 17: "Hands Off" — Jay McShann and His Orchestra (3 weeks) - VEE JAY 155
December 31: "Poor Me" — Fats Domino (1 week) - IMPERIAL 5369
December 31: "Adorable" — The Drifters (1 week) - ATLANTIC 1078

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_number-one_rhythm_and_blues_hits#1955

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by rickeap »

I love Elvis' rocked up version, but in this case I prefer Little Walter's blues original.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

I'm afraid I may be in the minority here, but I never really cared for Elvis version. He misses too many of the lyrics to make it good.

The arrangement is fine, and obviously the enthusiasm is there, but I kinda get bored with Elvis just repeating "my my my my baby", she don't she don't, she don't etc etc.

I do love the original, and other more faithful covers through, including this fabulous version by Willie Dixon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTdjv0VjTU

TheMaskedClown
Registered for: 12 years

Post by TheMaskedClown »

Top track with Elvis in killer form.

Fabbe
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by Fabbe »

Love Elvis version: wild vocals, aggressive tempo, bad-ass arrangement (listen to that bass and drum) and a cool choir -- really works here

drjohncarpenter

DarrylMac on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:47 am wrote:I'm afraid I may be in the minority here, but I never really cared for Elvis version. He misses too many of the lyrics to make it good.

The arrangement is fine, and obviously the enthusiasm is there, but I kinda get bored with Elvis just repeating "my my my my baby", she don't she don't, she don't etc etc.

I do love the original, and other more faithful covers through, including this fabulous version by Willie Dixon.
Elvis' live performance, as released in 1969, barely runs three minutes. It's rhythm and blues, not a ballad.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvis4life
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by elvis4life »

It seems that Youtube deleted the "My Babe"/"This Train" medley video that was posted last year: https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93635

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by L Ray »

I got to hear in person on my favorite Elvis day of all time, Aug. 15, 1969. Yes, he did sing at the dinner show. When a live recorded version came out on the live album, I was thrilled. It sounds as good now as it did back then. I was surprised to hear it as well Runaway at the show I attended.

Topic author
lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

L Ray on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 pm wrote:I got to hear in person on my favorite Elvis day of all time, Aug. 15, 1969. Yes, he did sing at the dinner show. When a live recorded version came out on the live album, I was thrilled. It sounds as good now as it did back then. I was surprised to hear it as well Runaway at the show I attended.
WOW, awesome. Tell us more!!!

Elvisly,

Linda
:smt023

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Here we go ... The arrangement, the arrangement, yadda yadda ...

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

minkahed on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 pm wrote:Here we go ... The arrangement, the arrangement, yadda yadda ...
What do you mean? I don't understand your post???

Elvisly,

Linda
:?:

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:03 pm wrote:
DarrylMac on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:47 am wrote:I'm afraid I may be in the minority here, but I never really cared for Elvis version. He misses too many of the lyrics to make it good.

Elvis' live performance, as released in 1969, barely runs three minutes. It's rhythm and blues, not a ballad.
Well, actually, it runs 2 minutes and 15 seconds if you cut out the larking around beforehand. But you clearly miss the point that is being made that Elvis misses out one of the verses from the original, and its inclusion would have relieved the monotony of the repeated choruses at the end. It's a common Elvis trait - if he didn't know the whole song, he didn't bother to learn it. Sadly you seem to give that a pass because "it's rhythm and blues, not a ballad" but it is an issue that mars a number of Elvis's recordings from When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold through to The Wonder of You and Release Me (and beyond). In the case of something like I'm Moving On, his removal of three verses and, in particular, the juxtaposition of the ones he does remember actually renders the narrative of the song meaningless.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

poormadpeter2 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:52 am wrote:

Well, actually, it runs 2 minutes and 15 seconds if you cut out the larking around beforehand. But you clearly miss the point that is being made that Elvis misses out one of the verses from the original, and its inclusion would have relieved the monotony of the repeated choruses at the end. It's a common Elvis trait - if he didn't know the whole song, he didn't bother to learn it. Sadly you seem to give that a pass because "it's rhythm and blues, not a ballad" but it is an issue that mars a number of Elvis's recordings from When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold through to The Wonder of You and Release Me (and beyond). In the case of something like I'm Moving On, his removal of three verses and, in particular, the juxtaposition of the ones he does remember actually renders the narrative of the song meaningless.
Thanks PoormadPeter - thats exactly the point I was making, and I'm Movin On is another great example of the same thing. it does become monotonous. I feel the same way about What D'I Say from these shows. I'm sure it was fun to be there, but as a listen, it's not enjoyable for me.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

DarrylMac on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:47 pm wrote:I'm afraid I may be in the minority here, but I never really cared for Elvis version. He misses too many of the lyrics to make it good.

I agree.

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by L Ray »

lovin' EP on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:09 pm wrote:
L Ray on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 pm wrote:I got to hear in person on my favorite Elvis day of all time, Aug. 15, 1969. Yes, he did sing at the dinner show. When a live recorded version came out on the live album, I was thrilled. It sounds as good now as it did back then. I was surprised to hear it as well Runaway at the show I attended.
WOW, awesome. Tell us more!!!

Elvisly,

Linda
:smt023
Oh thanks but I've told it so many times before on this site through the years and I'm sure many don't are sick of hearing about it. Saw 8 Elvis concerts in total through the years and this one was the best and the two from Dec. 70 tour rank pretty high also.

Never get tired of listening to My Babe either. A rock killer.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Scarre on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:24 am wrote:
DarrylMac on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:47 pm wrote:I'm afraid I may be in the minority here, but I never really cared for Elvis version. He misses too many of the lyrics to make it good.

I agree.
Y'all r nuss ...

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

DEH

Post by DEH »

poormadpeter2 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:52 pm wrote:

How can this be? I thought we were to believe that the 69 shows were perfect and he treated all the songs with respect? ;);)

brian

Post by brian »

Elvis Presley gave an energetic quality performance of My Babe. That's different to giving poor rushed versions of Hound dog and his other hits in subsequent years. There is no denying that Elvis' performances in 1969 were filled with more energy and passion compared to 1972 or 1974.