Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

'Sun Records' on CMT Television Ratings (Updated For 4/13)

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 pm

I thought that it might be interesting to examine the television ratings that the new Sun Records on CMT does on a weekly basis. I study television ratings as part of one of my jobs, so I figured why not? For those of you interested in this kind of thing, I will update this post weekly. These are the United States ratings for the show only.

EPISODE ONE (Aired: February 23, 2017, 10:00 p.m. ET on CMT, TV Land, Nick At Nite)
---Sun Records drew 971,000 viewers during the first-run airing of the show at 10:00 on CMT. The show was simulcast on Nick At Nite and TV Land. The Nick At Nite airing did 544,000 viewers and the TV Land airing drew 453,000 viewers. All told, Sun Records' debut was seen by 1.968 million people.
---Nashville, the lead-in for Sun, drew 929,000 viewers on CMT, so Sun actually outperformed it's lead-in on CMT for the debut episode. Nashville also had a re-run airing at 11:00 on Nick At Nite, which drew 453,000. All told, Nashville was seen by 1.382 million people.
---In the 18-49 age group demographic, Sun Records' airing on CMT finished #54 for the night on cable with a 0.20 demo rating. The Nick At Nite airing finished #76 with a 0.15 and the TV Land airing finished #123 with a 0.08.
---Nashville's first-run airing on CMT finished #57 in the 18-49 cable rating's demo with a 0.19. It's 11:00 p.m re-run on Nick At Nite finished #89 with a 0.13.

EPISODE TWO (Aired: March 2, 2017 10:00 p.m. ET on CMT)
---Sun Records drew 639,000 viewers for the first-run of the show on CMT at 10:00. There was no replay or simulcast this week, so 639,000 viewers was the final tally.
---Nashville, the lead-in for Sun, drew 1.123 million viewers during it's first-run airing at 9:00 p.m. ET on CMT. Nashville also had a replay on Nick At Nite at 11:00 p.m. ET that drew 596,000 viewers. Therefore, 1.719 million viewers was the final tally
---In the 18-49 age group demographic, Sun Records finished #85 for the night on cable with a 0.15 demo rating.
---The first-run airing of Nashville on CMT at 9:00 finished #27 in the 18-49 age group cable demo with a 0.27 rating. It's replay at 11:00 on Nick At Nite finished #79 with a 0.15.
---This was a titanic drop in audience for Sun between the debut episode and episode number two. Having no simulcast really tanked it's viewership this week, so it will be interesting to see if they bring back a simulcast or add a re-run airing for episode three to see if they can boost viewership again. In terms of total audience, episode two saw a 68% drop in viewership.

EPISODE THREE (Aired: March 9, 2017 10:00 p.m. ET on CMT)
---Sun Records drew 556,000 viewers for the first-run of the show on CMT at 10:00. There was no replay or simulcast this week, so 556,000 viewers was the final tally.
---Nashville, the lead-in for Sun, drew 965,000 viewers during it's first-run airing at 9:00 p.m. ET on CMT. Nashville also had a replay on Nick At Nite at 11:00 p.m. ET that drew 500,000 viewers. Therefore, 1.465 million viewers was the final tally
---In the 18-49 age group demographic, Sun Records finished #86 for the night on cable with a 0.14 demo rating.
---The first-run airing of Nashville on CMT at 9:00 finished #42 in the 18-49 age group cable demo with a 0.22 rating. It's replay at 11:00 on Nick At Nite finished #62 with a 0.18.
---Another drop in the ratings this week. Surprising that there was no replay still, as that has really helped total viewership for Nashville. Nashville's overall ratings were down this week too, however. Can't help but notice how Sun's ratings have dropped titanically since the first episode.

EPISODE FOUR (Aired: March 16, 2017 10:00 p.m. ET on CMT)
---Sun Records drew 530,000 viewers for the first-run of the show on CMT at 10:00. There was a replay immediately following the show, but it's number did not fall in the top 150 shows on cable so I have no data. Therefore I can only report 530,000 viewers as the final tally.
---Nashville did not provide a lead-in this week, as the show did not air.
---In the 18-49 age group demographic, Sun Records finished #91 for the night on cable with a 0.12 demo rating.
---A slight drop in the ratings this week, though numbers holding pretty steady from the week before (without the Nashville lead-in this week, too). Viewership dropped 26,000 and the 18-49 age group demographic rating dropped 0.02.

EPISODE FIVE (Aired: March 23, 2017 10:00 p.m. ET on CMT)
---Sun Records drew 494,000 viewers for the first-run of the show on CMT at 10:00. The replay appears to again have no data with it falling outside of cable's Top 150. Therefore I can only report 494,000 viewers as the final tally.
---Nashville did not provide a lead-in this week, as the show did not air.
---In the 18-49 age group demographic, Sun Records finished #68 for the night on cable with a 0.14 demo rating.
---The lowest total viewership for an episode yet, though the demographic rating actually increased from last week. This means less people were watching television as a whole on Thursday, March 23, so it's actually a stronger performance than the week before despite raw viewership actually coming in lower. This was the highest the show has ranked in the Thursday night cable rankings (#68) since the debut episode. Sun was actually the only show on CMT on Thursday evening that ranked in cable's Top 150 for the night, so it was the best performing show on the network for 3/23.

EPISODE SIX (Aired: March 30, 2017 10:00 p.m. ET on CMT)
---Sun Records drew 508,000 viewers for the first-run of the show on CMT at 10:00. The replay appears to again have no data with it falling outside of cable's Top 150. Therefore I can only report 508,000 viewers as the final tally.
---Sun Records was the only show on CMT Thursday 3/30 to place in cable's Top 150 for the night.
---In the 18-49 age group demographic, Sun Records finished #105 for the night on cable with a 0.09 demo rating.
---There was an increase in total viewership this week (508K) vs. last week (494K). The ratings figure was down, though, which means more people as a whole were watching cable TV on Thursday night. This resulted in Episode Six being the first time in the series' history that the show did not place among the Top 100 shows on cable on Thursday night, falling just outside at #105.

EPISODE SEVEN (Aired: April 6, 2017 10:00 p.m. ET on CMT)
---Sun Records drew 521,000 viewers for the first-run of the show on CMT at 10:00. The replay appears to again have no data with it falling outside of cable's Top 150. Therefore I can only report 521,000 viewers as the final tally.
---Sun Records was the only show on CMT Thursday 4/6 to place in cable's Top 150 for the night.
---In the 18-49 age group demographic, Sun Records finished #98 for the night on cable with a 0.10 demo rating.
---Total viewers up versus episode six, and the demographic rating (and cable rank) also ticked up this week.

EPISODE EIGHT [SEASON ONE FINALE[ (Aired: April 13, 2017 10:00 p.m. ET on CMT)
---Sun Records drew 462,000 viewers for the first-run of the show on CMT at 10:00. The replay appears to again have no data with it falling outside of cable's Top 150. Therefore I can only report 462,000 viewers as the final tally.
---Sun Records was the only show on CMT Thursday 4/13 to place in cable's Top 150 for the night.
---In the 18-49 age group demographic, Sun Records finished #91 for the night on cable with a 0.11 demo rating.
---The raw viewership total was down versus episodes six and seven, but the rating was up for episode eight. This means that less people were watching cable on Thursday 4/13 versus the two previous weeks, equating to the ratings figure being higher despite lower viewership. We will have to wait and see if the show is renewed for a second season.
Last edited by RyanD on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Re: 'Sun Records' on CMT Television Ratings (Updated Weekly)

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:18 pm

It is not the simulcast , the show sucks beyond compare and what a wasted chance to do something cool. :facep: They again messed up , Not only on Elvis part , but the whole deal . If this is the MDQ Broadway show then it must be a free show as I cannot see anyone paying to see this Garbage. Why do they have to botch everything up every time , and has these producers ever looked at footage of Elvis , Johnny, Jerry lee ?

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:25 pm

elviscollector101 wrote:It is not the simulcast , the show sucks beyond compare and what a wasted chance to do something cool. :facep: They again messed up , Not only on Elvis part , but the whole deal . If this is the MDQ Broadway show then it must be a free show as I cannot see anyone paying to see this Garbage. Why do they have to botch everything up every time , and has these producers ever looked at footage of Elvis , Johnny, Jerry lee ?

I love your positivity.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:30 pm

I liked the first episode but haven't had the chance to see the second one yet. It's good that the show is doing well but on cable you don't need big ratings to be a success. Nashville gets less than half the ratings it got when it was cancelled on ABC but it had the biggest ratings in the history of the CMT when it debuted on their network.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:23 pm

elviscollector101 wrote:It is not the simulcast , the show sucks beyond compare and what a wasted chance to do something cool. :facep: They again messed up , Not only on Elvis part , but the whole deal . If this is the MDQ Broadway show then it must be a free show as I cannot see anyone paying to see this Garbage. Why do they have to botch everything up every time , and has these producers ever looked at footage of Elvis , Johnny, Jerry lee ?

Please, let's see you do better.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:34 pm

I don't see why elviscollectors101 is getting bashed for an opinion. I watched the first 20 mins of episode 1 and turned it off. I just didn't care for it. A friend who watched both episodes said that he felt the producers wanted to make it like the "Empire" show with people from history. I would rather read my 'Boy from Tupelo' book and read facts rather than acted fiction. :wink:

But to the folks enjoy it, have at it! Don't let one or two peoples opinion ruin your good time.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:26 pm

brian wrote:

I love your positivity.

This :smt023

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Did Elvis have a motorcycle in 1953? And how would Sam have got any work done if Marion looked THAT good!!! :wink:

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:36 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Did Elvis have a motorcycle in 1953? And how would Sam have got any work done if Marion looked THAT good!!! :wink:

That's not even 1953 as Memphis Recording Service has just opened!! Elvis is 15 y.o. and drivin' a motorcycle. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Its just entertainment. I never expected much, but I did expect a better show. I saw the first 2, and the 2nd episode was pretty boring. I'll stick with it for a a while hoping it improves. I do like the actress playing Marion. Best reason to tune in IMO

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Duke90 wrote:I don't see why elviscollectors101 is getting bashed for an opinion. I watched the first 20 mins of episode 1 and turned it off. I just didn't care for it. A friend who watched both episodes said that he felt the producers wanted to make it like the "Empire" show with people from history. I would rather read my 'Boy from Tupelo' book and read facts rather than acted fiction. :wink:

But to the folks enjoy it, have at it! Don't let one or two peoples opinion ruin your good time.

After 40 years, Elvis biopics are nigh-on a subgenre in and of themselves and just as they have their own tropes and cliches, so does the fan response. It's almost comical how predictable these sorts of threads will go. Pull up old threads on any given biopic - Elvis & Nixon, the 2005 miniseries, Walk the Line, Elvis Meets Nixon, the Michael St. Gerard series, Elvis & Me, Elvis & The Beauty Queen, the Kurt Russell film, This is Elvis... always the same predictable complaints.

If an actor looked exactly like Elvis, then the complaint would be script inaccuracies/anachronisms. If the script was great, the nitpick would be the music production - either that the re-created music isn't good enough and that the originals should have been used, or if they were used, that the lip sync to the originals was off-putting and unrealistic. If the music was fine, and the script was fine, it'd be that the actor didn't look exactly like Elvis or wasn't a good enough actor.

You can almost make a Venn Diagram. In fact, I just did. It's like... if you want something that's about Elvis and that's the only guarantee you've got, pick one. If you want a reasonably solid film about Elvis that probably takes some creative license but generally is either entertaining or informative (but not necessarily both), pick two.

ep biopic formula copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Yes. Elvis fans will never be pleased. I Walk the line the Johnny Cash biopic had several inaccuracies but I don't recall Cash fans blasting the movie that much over it. Instead the movie was pretty well liked and won a bunch of awards. If Elvis ever gets a good big screen biopic made it will probably be about the same as I walk the line. I would take that and be happy with that even though I wasn't the biggest fan it was okay.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:23 am

brian wrote:Yes. Elvis fans will never be pleased. I Walk the line the Johnny Cash biopic had several inaccuracies but I don't recall Cash fans blasting the movie that much over it. Instead the movie was pretty well liked and won a bunch of awards. If Elvis ever gets a good big screen biopic made it will probably be about the same as I walk the line. I would take that and be happy with that even though I wasn't the biggest fan it was okay.

That's the difference between Elvis fans and fans of *insert music icon here*...

I think maybe only Michael Jackson, Dylan and The Beatles are, as subject of both documentaries and narrative feature films, as big of victims of intense scrutiny, criticism and worst of all cynicism as Elvis from their respective fanbases... and that's a maybe.

Most fanbases don't care, or at least not to the extent we see on this side, they're just happy their favorite artist is being talked about & their story is being brought to light, generally in a positive way.

But to be fair, with Elvis, you're not just talking about a singular individual whose image accurately has come to reflect elements of the person - you're talking about ELVIS, full of all the preconceived notions people bring to the table.

And not all of those notions are positive. One audience member may bring that Elvis was a music thief and a racist. Another may bring the fat drug-addled caricature. Another may bring the hunka hunka sexy movie star. Or the shy and boyish guy next door. Or the rebel rocker Vince Everett. Or the narc. Or the hillbilly. Or the genius.

There's so much that people don't actually know about Elvis and yet at the same time very little that people can't know about Elvis - that is, his life has been so meticulously documented by fans and experts (including this board) with the rabid fervor of a Tolkienist poring over the Silmarillion, and that so much of the pop subculture surrounding Elvis can be so easily acquired and that preconceived notions are so deeply ingrained means that writers and filmmakers will forever be tied down by the inability to paint broad strokes - a creative concession that must be made by virtue of the medium itself - and not only unable to please Elvis' fans, but unable to surprise anyone, either.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:12 am

I watched the first episode... it didn't offend me but there wasn't a lot to keep me wanting to come back. I thought the guy that's playing Sam is quite good and Johnny's character seems to be interesting so far.
I'll keep watching for Marion's sake... I think I'm in love...
:smt007

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 am

brian wrote:

I love your positivity.

How can you be positive when the show sucks?!

Whether it's a success or not has nothing to do with people's opinion on what they like or don't like.

The people who make these kind of things always embellish and exaggerate things and turn it into something completely different from the actual facts - this is something I hate, a pet hate. The real facts are sometimes better then the fiction. I love the truth.

We all know some fans have this strange obsession about Elvis being in the charts today and being continuously in the public eye but that doesn't necessarily mean the products good.

And this show by definition in my description in this post.......sucks, just like all the RPO albums.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:42 am

GibbersGanfa wrote:

It's his opinion. Anything wrong with that?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:01 am

Davelee wrote:How can you be positive when the show sucks?!

Whether it's a success or not has nothing to do with people's opinion on what they like or don't like.

The people who make these kind of things always embellish and exaggerate things and turn it into something completely different from the actual facts - this is something I hate, a pet hate. The real facts are sometimes better then the fiction. I love the truth.

He's just excessively negative about it to the point where it gets on some people's nerves. Hence my sarcasm.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Where is Carl Perkins?????????

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:20 pm

After seeing two episodes i can review it in two words.....its crap.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:44 pm

Davelee wrote:
GibbersGanfa wrote:

Nope. Didn't say there was. Nothing wrong with me asking if he could do it better either. It's a free world. It's not like he's going to. It's all hypothetical.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 pm

The actors are portraying the pre-fame Elvis, Jerry Lee and Johnny. Elvis is supposed to be 16 or so and Jerry Lee maybe as young as 15. What footage should the producers look at? At this point, Elvis is a shy and inexperienced high school kid with a dream, not a rock 'n' roll rebel who is tearing up the stage. The same is true of Jerry Lee. We'll see where they go with this and how convincing the later musical scenes are, but your total dismissal seems a bit premature to me.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 pm

TJ wrote:

The actors are portraying the pre-fame Elvis, Jerry Lee and Johnny. Elvis is supposed to be 16 or so and Jerry Lee maybe as young as 15. What footage should the producers look at? At this point, Elvis is a shy and inexperienced high school kid with a dream, not a rock 'n' roll rebel who is tearing up the stage. The same is true of Jerry Lee. We'll see where they go with this and how convincing the later musical scenes are, but your total dismissal seems a bit premature to me.

C'mon TJ, what are you doing in this thread with nuance and perspective? Don't you know that this show sucks beyond compare? Compared to what? Doesn't matter. Portraying people as real people instead of iconography - why would anyone do that? So inaccurate. After all, Elvis was THE KING. He's a LEGEND. Always was and always will be. ELVIS LIVES!!!!!!1111!!!!!!

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06 pm

GibbersGanfa wrote:
Davelee wrote:
GibbersGanfa wrote:

Nope. Didn't say there was. Nothing wrong with me asking if he could do it better either. It's a free world. It's not like he's going to. It's all hypothetical.

You're asking him to do better because you don't agree with it. Well, that's tough really, not everyone likes these kind of things, and I'm one of them.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Davelee wrote:
brian wrote:

I love your positivity.

We all know some fans have this strange obsession about Elvis being in the charts today and being continuously in the public eye but that doesn't necessarily mean the products good.

And this show by definition in my description in this post.......sucks, just like all the RPO albums.

Just wondering, have you seen it?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:33 pm

TCBell wrote:
Davelee wrote:
brian wrote:

I love your positivity.

Just wondering, have you seen it?

Yes.