Elvis's influence on Bruce Springsteen documentary.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Nora Sivle
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Elvis's influence on Bruce Springsteen documentary.

Post by Nora Sivle »

I did a search and could not find any post on this, so I thought to share this on here.

Many rock artists influenced Bruce Springsteen in a big way, including Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Van Morrison and Roy Orbison. But the primal, No. 1 influence — the place where it all started for him — was Elvis Presley.

I had never really thought about this, and might not have previously agreed with that statement, before watching “If I Can Dream: The Influence of Elvis on Bruce,” a new documentary compiled from previously existing footage by Dennis P. Laverty, who released, last year, Part 1 of “History of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes” (and is now working on Part 2). “If I Can Dream” is now streaming, for free, on Vimeo.com, and is also embedded below.

Laverty, a former Old Bridge resident who now lives in Staten Island (and who calls Springsteen and Presley “my two favorite rock stars”), uses concert footage and previously released interview segments with Springsteen and various rock experts to show just how important Presley was to Springsteen.

It started, of course, with Presley’s first appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show,” in 1956 (which Springsteen saw, at 6).

With that broadcast, Springsteen said in 2012, “Television and Elvis gave us full access to a new language, a new form of communication, a new way of being, a new way of looking, a new way of thinking about sex, about race, about identity, about life, a new way of being an American (and) a human being, and a new way of hearing music.”

“Everything starts and ends with Elvis,” Springsteen said, more succinctly, in 1978.

Springsteen has written a song for Elvis (“Fire”) and a song about him (“Johnny Bye-Bye”). He has covered many Elvis songs in concert, and even invited an Elvis impersonator onstage with him in Philadelphia (dubbing him “The Philly Elvis”).

Laverty’s 75-minute film covers also all of this, with lots of rarely seen, electrifying concert performances. It also explores the famous 1975 jumping-the-wall incident at Graceland (in which an over-eager Springsteen tried, unsuccessfully, to meet the King), the Presley concerts that Springsteen saw in person, and interesting tangents such as Patti Scialfa’s song “Looking for Elvis” and the reverence that Springsteen associates Jon Landau and Dave Marsh have for Presley (who was born 82 years ago this Sunday).

The film also includes footage of Presley performing in concert and being interviewed, and ends with a look at some parallels in the lives of him and Springsteen.

Hardcore Southside Johnny fans were very appreciative of “History of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes,” and I think Springsteen fanatics are going to feel the same way about “If I Can Dream.”

FACT is not everything.....It is only what we can prove......REALITY is everything else.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Re: Elvis's influence on Bruce Springsteen documentary.

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Nora Sivle wrote:I did a search and could not find any post on this, so I thought to share this on here.

Many rock artists influenced Bruce Springsteen in a big way, including Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Van Morrison and Roy Orbison. But the primal, No. 1 influence — the place where it all started for him — was Elvis Presley.

I had never really thought about this, and might not have previously agreed with that statement, before watching “If I Can Dream: The Influence of Elvis on Bruce,” a new documentary compiled from previously existing footage by Dennis P. Laverty, who released, last year, Part 1 of “History of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes” (and is now working on Part 2). “If I Can Dream” is now streaming, for free, on Vimeo.com, and is also embedded below.

Laverty, a former Old Bridge resident who now lives in Staten Island (and who calls Springsteen and Presley “my two favorite rock stars”), uses concert footage and previously released interview segments with Springsteen and various rock experts to show just how important Presley was to Springsteen.

It started, of course, with Presley’s first appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show,” in 1956 (which Springsteen saw, at 6).

With that broadcast, Springsteen said in 2012, “Television and Elvis gave us full access to a new language, a new form of communication, a new way of being, a new way of looking, a new way of thinking about sex, about race, about identity, about life, a new way of being an American (and) a human being, and a new way of hearing music.”

“Everything starts and ends with Elvis,” Springsteen said, more succinctly, in 1978.

Springsteen has written a song for Elvis (“Fire”) and a song about him (“Johnny Bye-Bye”). He has covered many Elvis songs in concert, and even invited an Elvis impersonator onstage with him in Philadelphia (dubbing him “The Philly Elvis”).

Laverty’s 75-minute film covers also all of this, with lots of rarely seen, electrifying concert performances. It also explores the famous 1975 jumping-the-wall incident at Graceland (in which an over-eager Springsteen tried, unsuccessfully, to meet the King), the Presley concerts that Springsteen saw in person, and interesting tangents such as Patti Scialfa’s song “Looking for Elvis” and the reverence that Springsteen associates Jon Landau and Dave Marsh have for Presley (who was born 82 years ago this Sunday).

The film also includes footage of Presley performing in concert and being interviewed, and ends with a look at some parallels in the lives of him and Springsteen.

Hardcore Southside Johnny fans were very appreciative of “History of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes,” and I think Springsteen fanatics are going to feel the same way about “If I Can Dream.”
Thank you for the video share and background. I will try to watch as soon as time permits, as I am a fan of Bruce, too.

In his new autobiography, Born To Run, Springsteen writes about the Elvis influence, but does not seem to define it as the hammer moment in his life. In essence, from his view the inspirations were:

1956-1958 - Elvis
1958-1962 - Top 40 Radio
1963-1964 - Beatles

I've long questioned the "I saw Elvis on Ed Sullivan in 1956" story from Bruce. A first- or second-grader is simply not going to have that kind of cathartic moment. Instead, I suggest he misremembered when he watched Elvis on the show, and actually saw a repeat when he was a bit older. But I have not been able to nail down if Sullivan did full program repeats. I do know he did "anniversary" broadcasts, which gathered memorable acts and moments in one program. With more information I may be able to build a good argument to support my theory.

Also, the famous jumping the wall of Graceland story happened in April 1976:

"Is Elvis Home?" - 40 Years Since Bruce Jumped The Wall!
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92785

I have also nailed down the two times Bruce experienced Elvis in concert:

6-11-1972 (Sun) - New York [Mike Appel bought tickets]
5-28-1977 (Sat) - Philadelphia [went with Steve Van Zandt]

Thanks again.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jurasic1968
Registered for: 10 years

Post by jurasic1968 »

Thanks, Doc. By the way anyone knows if the Ed Sullivan shows with Elvis were repeated on TV in the 60's? If no, the Elvis fans only had a chance to see clips of the first show of them in the EOT movie from 1972.

Dan_T
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by Dan_T »

Nora Sivle wrote:I did a search and could not find any post on this, so I thought to share this on here.

What a great watch ! thank you for posting !

paulsweeney
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Thanks for posting. A nice homemade documentary by a true fan of both performers.

Topic author
Nora Sivle
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Nora Sivle »

Thanks, and you're all welcome .

FACT is not everything.....It is only what we can prove......REALITY is everything else.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by sweetangeline »

paulsweeney wrote:Thanks for posting. A nice homemade documentary by a true fan of both performers.
for sure that was great!! :D now a homemade doc on ELVIS / BEATLES...no no no...forget I said that :wink:

Fabbe
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Fabbe »

I didn't know about that Elvis interview that opens the documentary. when was it done?

FredAistair
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by FredAistair »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thank you for the video share and background. I will try to watch as soon as time permits, as I am a fan of Bruce, too.

In his new autobiography, Born To Run, Springsteen writes about the Elvis influence, but does not seem to define it as the hammer moment in his life. In essence, from his view the inspirations were:

1956-1958 - Elvis
1958-1962 - Top 40 Radio
1963-1964 - Beatles

I've long questioned the "I saw Elvis on Ed Sullivan in 1956" story from Bruce. A first- or second-grader is simply not going to have that kind of cathartic moment. Instead, I suggest he misremembered when he watched Elvis on the show, and actually saw a repeat when he was a bit older. But I have not been able to nail down if Sullivan did full program repeats. I do know he did "anniversary" broadcasts, which gathered memorable acts and moments in one program. With more information I may be able to build a good argument to support my theory.

Also, the famous jumping the wall of Graceland story happened in April 1976:

"Is Elvis Home?" - 40 Years Since Bruce Jumped The Wall!
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92785

I have also nailed down the two times Bruce experienced Elvis in concert:

6-11-1972 (Sun) - New York [Mike Appel bought tickets]
5-28-1977 (Sat) - Philadelphia [went with Steve Van Zandt]

Thanks again.
I have the Born to Run autobiography, if I recall one chapter was devoted to Elvis and seemed to be pretty effusive, I don't recall quite the same for any other act.

Pink&Black
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Pink&Black »

Fabbe wrote:I didn't know about that Elvis interview that opens the documentary. when was it done?

If I remember correctly it was taken on the train to Miami for the Sinatra show. But I could be wrong.

Always on my mind

Dottore
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Dottore »

For those interested in such things 'Elvis' appeared at the Bruce gig here in Perth last night (the first of three for the week).

During the encore set Bruce finished one song (I think it was 'Shout') in feigned exhaustion. Someone on stage produced a cape and draped it over his shoulders (shadows of James Brown) and he staggered away into the backstage area. As he turns to leave the stage we see the cape has 'The Boss' written across the back. After a short time backstage he reappears looking somewhat reenergised, and spreads the cape (exactly as Elvis would) as he walks to stage front. He then turns, does a 360 degree sweep of the arena, and then drops to one knee while holding the pose with the cape. Discards cape, collects guitar, and back into next encore number.

As far as I know this piece of stage-craft is new to the act. Not sure it will last. As he walked towards the discarded cape lying on the floor a minute of so later he gave it a fairly decent kick.

Still, not every night you get the Boss, the King and Soul Brother Number One sharing a stage!