Dolores Fuller, Elvis 60´s movie songwriter!.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Dolores Fuller, Elvis 60´s movie songwriter!.

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Dolores Agnes Fuller (March 10, 1923 – May 9, 2011), was an American actress and songwriter, best known as the one-time girlfriend of the low-budget film director Ed Wood.

Dolores Fuller.

Dolores Fuller was part of one of the most prolific Hollywood composers team (Fuller, Wayne & Weisman) that wrote songs for Elvis movies in the 60´s 8).

Sid Wayne, Elvis & Ben Weisman.

She co-wrote 12 songs for 10 different Elvis movies plus 1 studio album (Love Letters From Elvis):

-Rock-A-Hula Baby" (from the film Blue Hawaii, 1961)
-I Got Lucky" (from the film Kid Galahad, 1962)
-Steppin' Out of Line" (unused track from the Blue Hawaii sessions, first released on 1962 album Pot Luck)
-You Can't Say No in Acapulco" (from the film Fun in Acapulco, 1963)
-Beyond the Bend" (from the film It Happened at the World's Fair, 1963)
-Barefoot Ballad" (from the film Kissin' Cousins, 1964)
-Big Love, Big Heartache" (from the film Roustabout, 1964)
-Do the Clam" (from the film Girl Happy, 1965)
-Spinout" (from the film Spinout, 1966)
-I'll Take Love" (from the film Easy Come, Easy Go, 1967)
-Have a Happy" (from the film Change of Habit, 1969)
-Cindy, Cindy" (Love Letters from Elvis, 1971 studio album)

Super rare Fan Club cd release of Elvis Sings Dolores Fuller. Front cover. Released in 1997.

Super rare Fan Club cd release of Elvis Sings Dolores Fuller. Back cover. Released in 1997.

Recently on eBay, there was a picture of her for auction together with the original lyrics of the song: Do The Clam. It failed to sell....

P.S: Lyrics sheet looks fake!.

Do The Clam: Words and music by Dolores Fuller, Sid Wayne, and Ben Weisman.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381120087799?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649.

Do The Clam/You´ll Be Gone. RCA Victor 47-8500. Released in February 1965.

P.J.Proby was hired by Dolores Fuller to record many demos songs to be submitted for Elvis movies.

P.J.Proby.

P.J. Proby did many demos for songwriters Ben Weisman & Sid Wayne in the early 1960's. Also for Ruth Batchelor. Altogether about 25. A few have been released. The rest will one day also be out on cd but such a lot of detailed work (with copyright probs) needs to be done before they are legally free.It takes years to trace who worked on them & if they're still alive. Only a few of the 25 songs were actually chosen to be in any of those movies. Chosen or not they were still great songs!
Rumored demo records made by P.J.Proby for Elvis:

-King Of The Whole Wide World                              
-Riding The Rainbow                                    
-I Got Lucky
-Because Of Love                                          
-Thanks To The Rolling Sea                                  
-Happy Ending
-Echoes Of Love                                          
-It’s Carnival Time

Recently the bootleggers released a 5 cd book set: SILVER SCREEN TREASURES 1962-1965 Vol 1, which includes dozen of demos recordings written by Dolores Fuller for Elvis movies :smt020.

Beside writing for Elvis, she created her own record Company (Dee Dee Records) and launched the careers of Johnny Rivers & Tanya Tucker.

Johnny Rivers.

Elvis & Johnny Rivers were friends in Hollywood in the early 60´s.

Elvis & Johnny Rivers.
Elvis left the studio very pleased with the results, but “Memphis” was never released as a single – and Johnny Rivers was the reason. He and Elvis had jammed together on the song back in Bel Air. Rivers liked it so much he incorporated it into his repertoire at the Whiskey. In May 1964 a live version of the song hit the market and quickly went to #2 on the charts. That killed any chance of “Memphis” ever being an Elvis single......
Tanya Tucker.

Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

Sources: http://www.thebluegrassspecial.com/archive/2011/june2011/dolores-fuller-obit.html / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Fuller / http://www.pjproby.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1321829401/0 / http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-johnny-rivers.html / http://www.elvisblog.net/2007/05/06/elvis-and-johnny-rivers/ / http://elvispresleyphotos.com/cars-motorcycles.html
Last edited by Mike Windgren on Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

drjohncarpenter

Re: Dolores Fuller, Elvis 60´s movie songwriter!.

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Nice remembrance.

Not the finest songs Elvis ever recorded, but at least the best of them had a light, sweet feel, such as "I Got Lucky." And there are some who even claim "Do The Clam was a number one smash for The King in Japan back in '65." ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

TeddyGirl
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by TeddyGirl »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Nice remembrance.

Not the finest songs Elvis ever recorded, but at least the best of them had a light, sweet feel, such as "I Got Lucky." And there are some who even claim "Do The Clam was a number one smash for The King in Japan back in '65." ;-)
Number 1 in Japan, Malaysia and Singapore :)

TINML
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by TINML »

I know her as she was portrayed in the film Ed Wood, small world huh?

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Thank you Mike!

westofmemphis
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by westofmemphis »

Mike Windgren wrote:
P.J. Proby did many demos for songwriters Ben Weisman & Sid Wayne in the early 1960's. Also for Ruth Batchelor. Altogether about 25. A few have been released. The rest will one day also be out on cd but such a lot of detailed work (with copyright probs) needs to be done before they are legally free.It takes years to trace who worked on them & if they're still alive. Only a few of the 25 songs were actually chosen to be in any of those movies. Chosen or not they were still great songs!

-Riding The Rainbow                                    
-I Got Lucky
-Because Of Love                                          
-Happy Ending
-Echoes Of Love                                          
-It’s Carnival Time
In Ken Sharp's book Elvis Presley Writing For The King, Dolores Fuller said:
When I wrote songs for Elvis Hill & Range paid for our demos. On the demos that Ben (Weisman), Fred (Wise) and I did, we used Glen Campbell to sing them. He was doing that type of work at the time. This was before Glen made it.

california boy
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by california boy »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Dolores Agnes Fuller (March 10, 1923 – May 9, 2011), was an American actress and songwriter, best known as the one-time girlfriend of the low-budget film director Ed Wood.

Dolores Fuller.

Dolores Fuller was part of one of the most prolific Hollywood composers team (Fuller, Wayne & Weisman) that wrote songs for Elvis movies in the 60´s 8).

Sid Wayne, Elvis & Ben Weisman.

She co-wrote 12 songs for 10 different Elvis movies plus 1 studio album (Love Letters From Elvis):

-Rock-A-Hula Baby" (from the film Blue Hawaii, 1961)
-I Got Lucky" (from the film Kid Galahad, 1962)
-Steppin' Out of Line" (unused track from the Blue Hawaii sessions, first released on 1962 album Pot Luck)
-You Can't Say No in Acapulco" (from the film Fun in Acapulco, 1963)
-Beyond the Bend" (from the film It Happened at the World's Fair, 1963)
-Barefoot Ballad" (from the film Kissin' Cousins, 1964)
-Big Love, Big Heartache" (from the film Roustabout, 1964)
-Do the Clam" (from the film Girl Happy, 1965)
-Spinout" (from the film Spinout, 1966)
-I'll Take Love" (from the film Easy Come, Easy Go, 1967)
-Have a Happy" (from the film Change of Habit, 1969)
-Cindy, Cindy" (Love Letters from Elvis, 1971 studio album)

Super rare Fan Club cd release of Elvis Sings Dolores Fuller. Front cover. Released in 1997.

Super rare Fan Club cd release of Elvis Sings Dolores Fuller. Back cover. Released in 1997.

Recently on eBay, there was a picture of her for auction together with the original lyrics of the song: Do The Clam. It failed to sell....

P.S: Lyrics sheet looks fake!.

Do The Clam: Words and music by Dolores Fuller, Sid Wayne, and Ben Weisman.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381120087799?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649.

Do The Clam/You´ll Be Gone. RCA Victor 47-8500. Released in February 1965.

P.J.Proby was hired by Dolores Fuller to record many demos songs to be submitted for Elvis movies.

P.J.Proby.

-Riding The Rainbow                                    
-I Got Lucky
-Because Of Love                                          
-Happy Ending
-Echoes Of Love                                          
-It’s Carnival Time

Recently the bootleggers released a 5 cd book set: SILVER SCREEN TREASURES 1962-1965 Vol 1, which includes dozen of demos recordings written by Dolores Fuller for Elvis movies :smt020.

Beside writing for Elvis, she created her own record Company (Dee Dee Records) and launched the careers of Johnny Rivers & Tanya Tucker.

Johnny Rivers.

Elvis & Johnny Rivers were friends in Hollywood in the early 60´s.

Elvis & Johnny Rivers.
Elvis left the studio very pleased with the results, but “Memphis” was never released as a single – and Johnny Rivers was the reason. He and Elvis had jammed together on the song back in Bel Air. Rivers liked it so much he incorporated it into his repertoire at the Whiskey. In May 1964 a live version of the song hit the market and quickly went to #2 on the charts. That killed any chance of “Memphis” ever being an Elvis single......
Tanya Tucker.

Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

Sources: http://www.thebluegrassspecial.com/archive/2011/june2011/dolores-fuller-obit.html / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Fuller / http://www.pjproby.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1321829401/0 / http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-johnny-rivers.html / http://www.elvisblog.net/2007/05/06/elvis-and-johnny-rivers/ / http://elvispresleyphotos.com/cars-motorcycles.html
Thank you Mike for that :)

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Fantastic thread Mike! Thank you very much.

::rocks

This book is to be recommended:

A Fuller Life: Hollywood, Ed Wood, and Me Paperback – September 17, 2016 (written in 2008)
For people familiar with Dolores Fuller only through her work and professional association with notorious 1950s film director Edward D. Wood, Jr., Hollywood, Ed Wood, and Me (A Fuller Life) will provide readers with a surprising revelation: throughout her career, Dolores has proven her talent and versatility in numerous facets of the entertainment industry. From fashion model, dancer, and actress to renowned songwriter and talent manager, she has done it all. In her autobiography, Dolores speaks honestly and with candor about her many triumphs, professional disappointments, and personal tragedies she has endured. Her remarkable story takes you on an unforgettable journey through her virtual partnership with Ed Wood during the making of his early films; her painful discovery of Wood's transvestitism; their eventual break-up; her songwriting for Elvis Presley; her discovery and nurturing of Johnny Rivers; and her heart-breaking experience with Tanya Tucker. Finally, Dolores reveals her true feelings towards Sarah Jessica Parker's unflattering performance of her in Tim Burton's Ed Wood (1994). Filled with fascinating and humorous anecdotes about the many famous people she has known throughout her long career, Dolores' autobiography reveals the informative and highly entertaining story of her fuller life.
https://www.amazon.com/Fuller-Life-Hollywood-Ed-Wood/dp/1593933045

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

TeddyGirl wrote:

Don't think so. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TeddyGirl
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by TeddyGirl »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TeddyGirl wrote:

Don't think so. ;-)

http://www.elvis-express.com/elvisradio_ukworldepsing.html

drjohncarpenter

TeddyGirl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TeddyGirl wrote:

Don't think so. ;-)

http://www.elvis-express.com/elvisradio_ukworldepsing.html
Nice page, no sources on it, thus the statements are unverifiable, most especially for "Do The Clam."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TJ
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by TJ »

The Billboard archives tell us that "Do the Clam" did indeed top the charts in at least two of those countries and did well in others. Dates given below refer to the Billboard issue that the info appeared in:

#1 - Malaysia (May 29, 1965)
#1 - Singapore (July 10, 1965)
#3 - Hong Kong (April 17, 1965)
#3 - Philippines (Jul 24, 1965).

The only mention of Japan that I could see was in the Jul 24, 1965 issue, which noted that the song was at #8. It seemed to drop out of the top ten after that. The Japanese chart might be slightly confusing though as it seems there wasn't an official public chart until 1967. The previous chart was made available to retailers, etc and I don't know whether that was what Billboard reported on. The #1 claim might relate to a different chart.

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by Elton »

Thanks Mike for the extra info on the book from Dolores Fuller!

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

drjohncarpenter

TJ wrote:The Billboard archives tell us that "Do the Clam" did indeed top the charts in at least two of those countries and did well in others. Dates given below refer to the Billboard issue that the info appeared in:

#1 - Malaysia (May 29, 1965)
#1 - Singapore (July 10, 1965)
#3 - Hong Kong (April 17, 1965)
#3 - Philippines (Jul 24, 1965).

The only mention of Japan that I could see was in the Jul 24, 1965 issue, which noted that the song was at #8. It seemed to drop out of the top ten after that. The Japanese chart might be slightly confusing though as it seems there wasn't an official public chart until 1967. The previous chart was made available to retailers, etc and I don't know whether that was what Billboard reported on. The #1 claim might relate to a different chart.
Looks like there ain't no way "Do The Clam was a number one smash for The King in Japan back in '65."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by jeanno »

The only sure thing about DO THE CLAM in 1965 is it was Elvis' worst release and most stupid recording to that point.

TeddyGirl
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by TeddyGirl »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TeddyGirl wrote:

Don't think so. ;-)
So now you stand two thirds corrected?

brian
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by brian »

No offense to Dolores Fuller but Elvis should never have been recording songs by her.

MikeFromHolland

brian wrote:No offense to Dolores Fuller but Elvis should never have been recording songs by her.
You know which songs Sid Wayne & Ben Weisman wrote without her, don't you? :wink:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

brian
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by brian »

MikeFromHolland wrote:You know which songs Sid Wayne & Ben Weisman wrote without her, don't you?
I didn't mention them because the thread isn't about them.

MikeFromHolland

brian wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:You know which songs Sid Wayne & Ben Weisman wrote without her, don't you?
I didn't mention them because the thread isn't about them.
Well, in that case I can tell you: most were worse :wink:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by colonel snow »

As stated the lyrics-sheet for Do the clam is fake; here is an lyrics-sheet by Dolores Fuller for the song I never had it so good (rejected song for the movie Roustabout.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

colonel snow wrote:As stated the lyrics-sheet for Do the clam is fake; here is an lyrics-sheet by Dolores Fuller for the song I never had it so good (rejected song for the movie Roustabout.

colonel snow

Interesting. We also know that the Tepper and Bennett team also submitted a song with the same title.

But which one got approved by management and pressed to acetate for Elvis to consider?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

TINML wrote:I know her as she was portrayed in the film Ed Wood, small world huh?
That's a great movie, one of my all-time favourites.

Poor Johnny Rivers in that photo Mike posted, his motorcycle looks so crappy there next to Elvis' mean machine !

drjohncarpenter

You know, I always thought her name was Mulva Fuller.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TINML
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by TINML »

drjohncarpenter wrote:You know, I always thought her name was Mulva Fuller.
:lol: And the actress that played Mulva in that episode played Priscilla Presley in Elvis & Me ;)

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."