Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Arthur Crudup - the father of rock’n’roll

Post by MikeFromHolland »

What makes Arthur ‘Big Boy’ Crudup the father of rock’n’roll ?

By John Clark, Wednesday June 22nd 2016

Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup was rediscovered and started touring and recording again the late 60s, early 70s (Photo: Bear Family)

One of the pivotal moments in the history of post-war popular music came at the end of a long and not very rewarding recording session at the small Sun studio in Memphis in 1954. Studio boss Sam Phillips had been trying to prise out a debut recording from his new signing, a lank-haired young truck driver with a poor complexion but a remarkable voice called Elvis Presley.

Backed by guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black, the three had been fooling around with country ballads and mediocre pop songs. Nothing had clicked. Left to themselves while a disgruntled Phillips went into the control room, Presley said that “this song popped into my mind that I had heard years ago, and I started kidding around with it”.

Elvis was jumping around
Moore took up the story. “Elvis just started singing this song, jumping around and acting the fool and then Bill picked up his bass, and he started acting the fool, too, and I started playing with them… Sam stuck his head out and said: ‘What are you doing? And we said ‘We don’t know”. ‘Well back up,’ he said. ‘Try to find a place to start, and do it again.’”

The song, “That’s All Right, Mama”, became Presley’s first release and went on to change the face of pop music. Sam Phillip’s long-held ambition of finding a white boy who could sing the blues had been fulfilled with a song written and originally recorded in 1946 by a Mississippi-born blues guitarist and singer whom Elvis idolised called Arthur “Big Boy” Crudup.

“I said if I ever got to the place I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw”
Elvis Presley

A mainstay of what, in the late 1940s, were called the “race charts”, Crudup, born in 1905 had been a late starter in the music game, first picking up a guitar in 1937 after a period spent in logging camps and building roads. He stated playing on the streets at first before attracting the interest of talent scout Lester Melrose. By 1941 he was signed to RCA records.

He’d also attracted the attention of Presley himself. “Down in Tupelo, Mississippi, I used to hear old Arthur Crudup bang his box the way I do now, and I said if I ever got to the place I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw, ” he told the Charlotte Observer newspaper in 1956.

‘My baby left me, never said a word’
Although physically a large man, hence his nickname, he had a light but firm voice, which allied to his forceful and rhythmic guitar style, resulted in a string of self-composed blues numbers whose wry lyrics encapsulated love (“So Glad You’re Mine”), betrayal: (“My baby left me, never said a word. Was it something I done, something that she heard?”) and his aversion to some cities (“That mean old Frisco and that lowdown Santa Fe”). Presley loved them, and went on to record “So Glad You’re Mine” and “My Baby Left Me”. Along with other such as “Mean Disposition” and “Who’s Been Foolin’ You” they became blues standards recorded by everybody from Canned Heat to Eric Clapton.

You would have thought that this would have made Crudup a rich man. Except that Melrose wasn’t keen on paying royalties. All that his artists would get at the end of a recording session was a handshake and a small fee. So throughout the late 50s and 60s while Presley was enjoying worldwide sales, Crudup was scraping by with club dates and even part-time work as a bootlegger.Eventually, in the 60s when a new generation was discovering the blues, Crudup was rediscovered for a white market eager to hear his music. Dubbed “the father of rock’n’roll” he began appearing at college gigs and festivals and even toured the UK. I saw him perform at the University of Essex in Colchester in 1970. He was a tall imposing figure with grey hair and, even then, an immense stage presence.

A towering influence
A couple of years later, after lengthy negotiations, Crudup almost received some of the royalties due to him. Set to receive a cheque for $60,000, he was told at the last minute that the publishing company had decided to withhold it because of legal problems. Crudup never did see his money. It was only after his death in 1975 and after the original publishing company was sold that his family received $248,000, with regular and greater payments since.

And now, more than 40 years after his death, his towering influence is also getting due respect from the record business. The Grammy-winning reissue company Bear Family is releasing a five-CD box set of his complete recordings from 1941 to 1962, complete with a hardback biography. A big tribute for a big man, in every sense of the word.

Arthur ‘Big Boy’ Crudup: A Music Man Like Nobody Ever Saw will be released next month on Bear Family records
Source: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/music/arthur-big-boy-crudup-father-rocknroll/

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Arthur Crudup - the father of rock’n’roll

Post by Davelee »

I'm so pleased that the family eventually received the money that Arthur should have gotten years ago - so sad that he never got the luxury of seeing the money he so thoroughly deserved. He struggled for years to make ends meet only to be ripped off by a greedy bastard in a suit and tie.

RIP Arthur.

Davelee
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Davelee »

I'm so pleased that the family eventually received the money that Arthur should have gotten years ago - so sad that he never got the luxury of seeing the money he so thoroughly deserved. He struggled for years to make ends meet only to be ripped off by greedy bastard in a suit and tie.

RIP Arthur.

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/50-years-ago-elvis-songwriter-dies-in-poverty-as-hed-predicted/

50 YEARS AGO: ELVIS SONGWRITER DIES IN POVERTY, AS HE PREDICTED
Martin Kielty
Published: March 28, 2024

Most music fans today are aware there’s a long-running argument about whether the writers of the songs we love are fairly compensated for the profits made out of them.

The internet brought the argument into the light, but it wasn’t really new. Since the era of recorded music began – and actually, long before that, when people bought sheet music rather than albums – the disagreement has raged on.

It’s often assumed that those who reach certain heady heights will be more immune from being ripped off, if only because they can command bigger percentages and hire better lawyers. But consider the case of Arthur Crudup, who died on March 28, 1974. While his name may be almost unknown in some circles, his songs most certainly aren’t. But he still died in poverty, just like he predicted he would.

Crudup – also known as Big Boy Crudup, Elmer James and Percy Lee Crudup – was the author of “That’s All Right” in 1946. Of course, Elvis Presley’s 1954 version is the best-known, and it’s one of the compositions that stakes a claim to be the first-ever rock ’n’ roll song.

Presley recorded two more of Crudup’s tracks, “My Baby Left Me” and “So Glad You’re Mine.” Presley is reported to have said: “The colored folks been singing it and playing it just like I’m doin’ now, man, for more years than I know. I got it from them. Down in Tupelo, Mississippi, I used to hear old Arthur Crudup bang his box the way I do now, and I said if I ever got to the place I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.”

The Blues Foundation described Crudup as “probably the country’s most popular downhome-style bluesman in terms of record sales and jukebox play,” noting that “artists from Elton John to Eric Clapton to B.B. King covered his songs too.

“But Crudup was a classic victim of music industry exploitation, and despite the commercial success… was never able to even support his family from his music.” He’s said to have been an “enterprising, self-made man,” and “when the the recording business finally got the best of him, he simply left it behind.”

Paid only a few thousand dollars during his music career, he undertook a huge range of jobs from lumberjack to migrant worker transporter, and at one point ran his own juke joint. When the blues resurged in the late ‘60s, he returned to action for a brief period, working with Bonnie Raitt as his final professional engagement in 1970.

Later, blues advocate Dick Waterman started a battle to have some of the missing royalties repaid, and nearly secured a $60,000 payment from Hill Range Publishing. “When the lawyer dealing with the issue went upstairs to get the check signed by the manager, he returned to the table pale and shaken,” Waterman wrote in his 2003 memoir Between Midnight And Day.

Arthur Crudup Died Before Any Justice Was Done

The lawyer said: “He won’t sign the agreement. He said it gives more away in settlement than you could hope to get from litigation.” Realizing “we were not going to get anything at all,” Waterman told Crudup “over and over that we would get them and make them pay for what they had done to him.

“Arthur looked me in the face and spoke slowly. ‘I know you done the best you could. I respects you and I honors you in my heart. But it just ain’t meant to be.’”

Crudup had said in 1970: “I was born poor, I live poor, and I am going to die poor” [via David Szatmary’s 1991 book Rockin’ In Time]. He was right – he passed aged 68, without a penny to his name, a year after the failed settlement attempt.

But Waterman didn’t give up, and in the years to follow over $3 million would be paid to Crudup’s estate. “Despite the slight righting of the scales of justice in the way of money, Crudup still never really secured the reputation he deserved,” Guitar Tricks commented.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

A very sad story.

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 2 months

Post by Greystoke »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 pm
A very sad story.
Unfortunately and shamefully, there are too many examples of artists from years gone by who ended up in poverty or were dismissed by an industry that was systemically racist and unduly neglectful to those who could easily be blotted out or taken advantage of.

Swedish
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Swedish »

I have this 1992 CD :D But to bad that African American at that time did get ripped off by white record label directors :-?
African American got better respect & so when touring in Sweden than they got in their home country, mmm that's strange :shock:
R-3349859-1578864089-4963.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

Greystoke wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:18 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 pm
A very sad story.
Unfortunately and shamefully, there are too many examples of artists from years gone by who ended up in poverty or were dismissed by an industry that was systemically racist and unduly neglectful to those who could easily be blotted out or taken advantage of.
Yes like, Jackie Wilson with Brunswick Records :(

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

He's buried about 50 miles from me in a little town on Virginia's eastern shore. Sooner or later, I'll pay the tunnel toll and pay tribute. Wolfman Jacks lies about 35 miles to my south in NC.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

Bethel Memorial Gardens, Franktown, Northampton County, Virginia
20220501_101942.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

Elvis played Hampton, VA on March 11, 1974, 17 days before his death. Straight across the Chesapeake Bay.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

He was a genius.

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »