Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
r&b

Re: Any love for "Kismet"?

Post by r&b »

GibbersGanfa wrote:
Davelee wrote:Indeed. I don't buy every single thing, and i'm not tired or burnt out on Elvis. Fact is, you and I are both on here most days so that says something.
Indeed. r&b asks if other posts listen to any other music...

I have begun to wonder whether you and Mr. Carpenter have lives outside FECC and Elvis Presley. Doc's 77,396 posts since April 15, 2003 average out to about 16 posts per day, every day, for a bit over 13 years. Your own posts per day ratio in just the year you've been here already outranks some of the most prolific, longterm members of the board. Even taking into consideration that no one really posts every single day, that is not normal behavior; it's an obsession.
No, its called retirement. Up in the morning, check this board, facebook, email, make posts when I feel prompted. Check same again later in the day. Also check other Elvis sites, but dont post there anymore, like it here better. Then go about my daily chores and routine. I play Elvis maybe once a week so its not an obsession at all. I post here a lot because I find it extremely interesting, and at times amusing. I have also received private msgs from several members (not who you think) who encourage me to keep posting because they enjoy the perspective of a person who was there since it all started. I cant speak as to why some people post more than others, and ones who never do at all. I just dont understand the suspensions much at all. There was a person mysterytrain, I believe it was ,whom I really enjoyed, but he has vanished. I know he took a lot of heat for speaking his mind. Sounds familiar.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

GibbersGanfa wrote:
r&b wrote:
GibbersGanfa wrote:
Davelee wrote:Indeed. I don't buy every single thing, and i'm not tired or burnt out on Elvis. Fact is, you and I are both on here most days so that says something.

I have begun to wonder whether you and Mr. Carpenter have lives outside FECC and Elvis Presley. Doc's 77,396 posts since April 15, 2003 average out to about 16 posts per day, every day, for a bit over 13 years. Your own posts per day ratio in just the year you've been here already outranks some of the most prolific, longterm members of the board. Even taking into consideration that no one really posts every single day, that is not normal behavior; it's an obsession.
No, its called retirement. Up in the morning, check this board, facebook, email, make posts when I feel prompted. Check same again later in the day. Also check other Elvis sites, but dont post there anymore, like it here better. Then go about my daily chores and routine. I play Elvis maybe once a week so its not an obsession at all. I post here a lot because I find it extremely interesting, and at times amusing. I have also received private msgs from several members (not who you think) who encourage me to keep posting because they enjoy the perspective of a person who was there since it all started. I cant speak as to why some people post more than others, and ones who never do at all. I just dont understand the suspensions much at all. There was a person mysterytrain, I believe it was ,whom I really enjoyed, but he has vanished. I know he took a lot of heat for speaking his mind. Sounds familiar.
I have to apologize, that was not against you at all, and I'm sorry you misunderstood that. I was just citing your question whether certain posters listen to any music beyond Elvis. As you can see, this post was in response to Davelee and was aimed at him. I was using your point to question whether THEY have a life outside FECC and Elvis, not you at all! Have nothing against you at all sir!

No worries. No offense was taken!

Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Funny I was just begining to collect Elvis when Harum Scarum came out. I simply enjoyed it wishing there would have been more up tempo songs. I had not seen the movie yet. The whole discussion is going nowhere because it about taste and eveyone has his opinion on the matter. One thing is for sure, Elvis did not had a gun pointed at his head to do the movie sessions, he, as often mentionned, hated so much. And he did them with honesty and on his own will because it pays and it was easy money earning. But, we know now, that he never really confront Colonel Parker. The only explanation I see is that his deep rooted insecurity prevented him to avoid any risk with his incomes from Hollywood. The thing that I never quite get is what stopped him to go in Nashville and record each year a new studio non-movie albums. Even after 10 years with RCA, the tenth anniversay album that was release was Elvis For Everyone: a complilation of leftovesr more or less. Why a so small session in 1964? I don't buy anymore the heavy schedule of the movie years. He was having fun and that seems the only thing important at the time. He only made some real shifts when the sells went down. The 68 Comeback Special being one, and a good one by the way. But as Steve Binder told in different reports, Elvis locked himself again in the Vegas stints and fell back in the same trap. as a megastar as he was, if only one, HE could have demanded better songs and better scripts. He decided to trade his talent for a certain mediocrity, never leaves his comfort zone. He always tried to convince the reporters that he "had to get out of the movie contract"", the poor soul trapped into the lawyers gimmicks :cry: . Well, movie contract or not he could have gone to the studio more often in the 60's, or even had a studio built on his big propriety and do the thing, everybody says he liked the most: making music. Even afte the success of the Memphis session in 1969, he never came back to Chip Moman's, studio and went back to his old habits at Nashville studio B, the easy way with Felton Javis who had to take all the precautions of the world to make him do another take. That's my logical side but my feeling part tells me also other things: who am I to blame Elvis or even the Colonel? Walk a mile in my shoes is a reminder that from the outside what's seems, and only seems clear in the mind, is not at all the case from within. If you're a fan, then it means, as opposed to the main public who would love only a small part of his musical legacy and mostly the hits, that you enjoy a great deal of what Elvis did and not only the hits, including some movie soundtracks: that's my case. I love all the decades, the fiery 50's of course but I have bias for the 60's as a whole. It's not because I have special liking for the 60's as a whole that I despise the 70's . Far from it: the early part of the 70's is my favorite, but there are others songs from the later part that I dig too. And I let the others enjoying the songs I don't especially lie. I was just curious to know at the beginning of this thread what other fans tought of a favorite ballad of mine from the mid-sixties. Just for the pleasure of sharing, not disputing if Kismet is shameful for a huge talent as Elvis. Well I leave everyone here being the juge of that and it's okay if you think he should have never recorded that. But when I listen to it occasionally, because I listen to a lot of other music in different genres, I just have a good feeling doing that. And one last detail for those who love the songs or simply like it, treat yourself with the best mix: Double Features.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:A clear-minded, first-generation fan is a most valuable asset at FECC, and appreciated by every good member here. Whenever you read about how "negative" you are, or that you're "derailing" a topic, just consider the source of such facile comments.
Stay classy My apologies, will try to be better in the future.
Fixed.
Ah you're working at the Ministry of Truth. Orwell warned me about this a long time ago already :wink:

Next up, he'll be demanding two minutes of hate for Kismet. :facep: :lol:

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Hard Rocker wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:A clear-minded, first-generation fan is a most valuable asset at FECC, and appreciated by every good member here. Whenever you read about how "negative" you are, or that you're "derailing" a topic, just consider the source of such facile comments.
Stay classy :smt023
My apologies, will try to be better in the future.

Next up, he'll be demanding two minutes of hate for Kismet. :facep: :lol:
Fixed.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"

Post by Davelee »

GibbersGanfa wrote:
r&b wrote:
GibbersGanfa wrote:

I have to apologize, that was not against you at all, and I'm sorry you misunderstood that. I was just citing your question whether certain posters listen to any music beyond Elvis. As you can see, this post was in response to Davelee and was aimed at him. I was using your point to question whether THEY have a life outside FECC and Elvis, not you at all! Have nothing against you at all sir!
You should not make comments about people you know nothing about outside of FECC because it's rude. I post on here most days, but what's that got to do with you? At this moment I have some time on my hands, reasons, i'm not here to discuss. What i do outside of here is no ones business, I come here to talk about Elvis and that's the it will always be.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
r&b wrote:
jetblack wrote:Good on you Juan. You always write from the heart and it shows.

If a few don't like your threads on certain songs, so be it. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO POST ON SAID THREAD. (I hope that was loud enough for some).

Andy
And I will continue to post as I see fit, good or bad. If a song is mediocre to me, I will state it.
And I would say you post more negativity than positivity on this forum. How is that? :roll:. I can hardly remember you saying anything positive about either FTD/books/dvds releases, recordings etc! :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.
Well thats not true at all. If you look at the Girls Girls Girls thread, many dismiss the song. I posted positive about it. In fact I have done so about many other recordings. Unfort, Elvis made as many bad recordings as he made good ones. I have to come to realize this over the years, and yeah I will state what I feel about them. As for FTDs and books, I hardly buy them because most dont interest me. Thats negative to you?
Really? :shock:. Please enlighten me about you praising other many Elvis recordings, I can't find them.....

If FTD releases don't interest you much, it must be because you're either burnt out or fed up on Elvis. Let me suggest you to take a long bread from FECC and when you find any positive about Elvis please come back! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.
Stop it please. Now you are just being foolish. A fan doesnt have to desire every single take or breath Elvis made in a studio or every single mumbled Hound Dog he sang in 1976 to be as big a fan as the ones who do desire this stuff. Someday you may realize that . By the way, do you listen to any other music?
I´m not saying you must buy everything that FTD puts out, but stating that hardly anything from FTD interest you! :shock:. There is more than enough for everybody on this collector´s label.

Regarding your curiosity about if I listen to any other kind of music, the answer is yes, mainly 50´s & 60´s. But I already told you that before :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
r&b wrote:

If a few don't like your threads on certain songs, so be it. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO POST ON SAID THREAD. (I hope that was loud enough for some).

Andy
And I will continue to post as I see fit, good or bad. If a song is mediocre to me, I will state it.
And I would say you post more negativity than positivity on this forum. How is that? :roll:. I can hardly remember you saying anything positive about either FTD/books/dvds releases, recordings etc! :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.
Well thats not true at all. If you look at the Girls Girls Girls thread, many dismiss the song. I posted positive about it. In fact I have done so about many other recordings. Unfort, Elvis made as many bad recordings as he made good ones. I have to come to realize this over the years, and yeah I will state what I feel about them. As for FTDs and books, I hardly buy them because most dont interest me. Thats negative to you?
Really? :shock:. Please enlighten me about you praising other many Elvis recordings, I can't find them.....

If FTD releases don't interest you much, it must be because you're either burnt out or fed up on Elvis. Let me suggest you to take a long bread from FECC and when you find any positive about Elvis please come back! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.
Stop it please. Now you are just being foolish. A fan doesnt have to desire every single take or breath Elvis made in a studio or every single mumbled Hound Dog he sang in 1976 to be as big a fan as the ones who do desire this stuff. Someday you may realize that . By the way, do you listen to any other music?
I´m not saying you must buy everything that FTD puts out, but stating that hardly anything from FTD interest you! :shock:. There is more than enough for everybody on this collector´s label.

Regarding your curiosity about if I listen to any other kind of music, the answer is yes, mainly 50´s & 60´s. But I already told you that before :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.
I have about 30. Thats more than hardly I guess. No soundboards at all. Mostly studio work and 1969/70 concerts. There was some good music made after the 50s and 60s by the way, even in this century

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
r&b wrote:

Andy

I have about 30. Thats more than hardly I guess. No soundboards at all. Mostly studio work and 1969/70 concerts. There was some good music made after the 50s and 60s by the way, even in this century
For around 150 releases on FTD, 30 is not a bad number at all! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

musiclover1979

Post by musiclover1979 »

I'll state my case, my personal opinion:

I don't care if Sinatra recorded music of better quality during the same period. Sinatra could never sing as beautifully & sublime as Elvis (to my ears).

Stand By Me is a better performance, song & recording. That doesn't take away from the pleasures of hearing Elvis singing Kismet.

I too was singing Kismet to myself at work today. I like it.

I listened to the DF release of Harem Holiday and the sound quality varies throughout. Sometimes Elvis voice is clear, on others his voice is a bit muffled.
Maybe his voice is muffled on the songs overdubbed to pre recorded backing tracks?

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

r&b wrote:
GibbersGanfa wrote:

You need not explain or justify your posts. I, for one, enjoy your contributions and appreciate your "I was there" knowledge of Elvis' career. While we disagree on Elvis' 70s output, we have been able to disagree without being disagreeable and without name calling; a fading art on this Board. You, however, do yourself a great disservice by comparing yourself with the above-mentioned now expelled Board member. While he certainly spoke his mind, he could not tolerate other folks' opinions and made some truly horrendous statements which got him ejected. I, in fact, believe his last straws came in a duel with another former member Matthew, who certainly wore no "rose colored glasses" (I still hate that phrase) and was by no means a "jumpsuit junkie" (another unfortunate derogatory term). Now, back to business: how can you not include Elvis' 75 Uniondale show in your top 5 concerts of all time? Ricky Nelson - really?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Pink&Black wrote:I saw Harem Holiday somewhere in the 80s on German television (Elvis speaks German!) I hated the movie, I felt embarrassed for Elvis. I bought the album for completist sake, don't think I ever listened to it. At least when I took it out today it looked brandnew. But this thread got me curious. I have always liked So Close, Yet So Far but I hardly knew the other songs. I think Kismet is a pretty song, it's growing on me :) But the song I really like is Wisdom of the Ages. Sometimes people hear what they want to hear and it's fine if you dislike the movie (I do) and/or if you think the soundtrack is so/so (I do) but Elvis is singing beautifully on the ballads, there's no denying that. Gotta go now, time for side 2 again, don't you just love LPs? 8)
Your story is close to mine. Never was able to finish watching the movie. Maybe someday. But didn't listen to the soundtrack after so many panned it. I thought it would be a waste of time.
I think it was last year that I finally opened my still sealed "Harum Scarum" FTD (purchased it for completist sake) and let it play in the background. After a while I started paying attention cause I was actually enjoying some of the music "I was not supposed to"! "Kismet' was one of the songs I thoroughly enjoyed. Not a guilty pleasure. But simply a pleasure! :)

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote: There was a person mysterytrain, I believe it was ,whom I really enjoyed, but he has vanished.
I got news for you, he's closer than you think! :lol:

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:
GibbersGanfa wrote:

You need not explain or justify your posts. I, for one, enjoy your contributions and appreciate your "I was there" knowledge of Elvis' career. While we disagree on Elvis' 70s output, we have been able to disagree without being disagreeable and without name calling; a fading art on this Board. You, however, do yourself a great disservice by comparing yourself with the above-mentioned now expelled Board member. While he certainly spoke his mind, he could not tolerate other folks' opinions and made some truly horrendous statements which got him ejected. I, in fact, believe his last straws came in a duel with another former member Matthew, who certainly wore no "rose colored glasses" (I still hate that phrase) and was by no means a "jumpsuit junkie" (another unfortunate derogatory term). Now, back to business: how can you not include Elvis' 75 Uniondale show in your top 5 concerts of all time? Ricky Nelson - really?
Thanks. I was not aware of that former members every post, so i can only assume it was pretty bad for him to get bounced for going head to head with Matthew who to me, makes a lot of sense on this forum. Yes Ricky Nelson. Let me explain, while I thought Elvi's' 75 Uniondale show was the best of the ones I saw, there was still too many covers, rushed oldies, the JD Amen show, scarf giving, etc to be a completely satisfying musical experience. Of course the highlight was Elvis at the piano singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Why he didnt do that once in every show, I'll never know, but that to me is giving the fans a musical experience they will never forget. Here we are still talking about something he did only once! As for Ricky, he did every song you would have expected him to do, with a terrific rocking band. who unfort also perished in the plane crash. He also sat at the piano, and did a cover, but it was the Stones Honky Tonk Women. Now how cool would it have been for Elvis to do that instead of ONJ? Ricky never strayed from his roots, and that why I enjoyed it more. Sure, he wasnt the singer Elvis was, but the song selection was superb. He also sang a Dylan song, and had a new song out called You Know What I Mean, so it wasnt just a greatest hits show, but a totally satisfying one. I actually went with a friend who came with me to see Elvis at MSG. He felt the same way I did, but then again we were both big fans of Ricky growing up as well as Elvis.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

So Close Yet So Far (From Paradise) reminds me a little of It's Only Make Believe... as does I Believe.