Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic



Topic author
Juan Luis

Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Juan Luis »

..
Cool song for me with a great sexy beat by Keneth Buttrey on drums, exotic sounding Rufus Long on flute, the oboe of Ralph Strobel, Grady Martin and Charlie McCoy guitars, Henry Strzelecki on bass, are all standout players for this track recorded in Nashville (RCA Studio B) on February 26, 1965 with RCA great Bill Vandervort behind the console. A bonus track from the "Harum Scarum" soundtrack album. A very enjoyable song with a hint of garage psychedelia. This one after "Edge Of Reality" for me.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar

Bodie
Posts: 5641
Joined: 17 years 1 month
Location: London
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 490 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Bodie »

Yeah, it's ok.




Scarre
Posts: 5171
Joined: 21 years 1 month
Been thanked: 1377 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Scarre »

Bodie wrote:Yeah, it's ok.
I agree.
Edge Of Reality is better... :D



User avatar

When In Rome
Posts: 2865
Joined: 12 years 4 months
Location: Haydock, Merseyside, UK
Has thanked: 799 times
Been thanked: 1110 times
Age: 52

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by When In Rome »

We are scraping the barrel now! :wink: It's an embarrassment. I am no musical snob believe me, I like some right old tripe but I have no love for 'Animal Instinct'. I do have a soft spot for 'Kismet' though, especially the 'Double Features' mix...


Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

User avatar

Hobbes
Posts: 1257
Joined: 8 years 6 months
Location: CT
Has thanked: 2303 times
Been thanked: 970 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Hobbes »

The flute makes it somewhat interesting to me. It does give it a mid sixties psychedelic sound. I've played the song now and then but it's not one of my favs.




Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Juan Luis »

Written by Baum-Giant-Kaye of "Devil In Disguise" fame.




Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Juan Luis »

When In Rome wrote:We are scraping the barrel now! :wink: It's an embarrassment. I am no musical snob believe me, I like some right old tripe but I have no love for 'Animal Instinct'. I do have a soft spot for 'Kismet' though, especially the 'Double Features' mix...
I love "Kismet". :) And thanks for your honest reply.



User avatar

mike edwards66
Posts: 5735
Joined: 12 years 2 months
Been thanked: 1607 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by mike edwards66 »

One of my favourite tracks, seriously. For me, the best sounding version, is the one from the guy who used to post here a couple or so years back, RetroAudio. The drums and flute, combined wit Elvis' vocal make for an ear-grabbing and smokey feel, rarely achieved on any other Presley recording.

Could have been on FEIM.


>>>


some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah


fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Posts: 5002
Joined: 20 years 2 months
Has thanked: 355 times
Been thanked: 2252 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by fn2drive »

For The Millionth and Last Time, um no.


Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward


Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Juan Luis »

fn2drive wrote:For The Millionth and Last Time, um no.
I like that song too! :)




OnTourCam
Posts: 2116
Joined: 21 years 1 month
Been thanked: 316 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by OnTourCam »

I like it have done for years
It's a good fun song love the bass line
My best mate got me into it he loves it more than me and then it rubbed off on me :)




Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Juan Luis »

OnTourCam wrote:I like it have done for years
It's a good fun song love the bass line
My best mate got me into it he loves it more than me and then it rubbed off on me :)
The same thing happened to me with a close loved one. I thought. How's that supposed to be? I am The fan!! :lol:



User avatar

Johnny2523
Posts: 12927
Joined: 11 years 11 months
Has thanked: 2106 times
Been thanked: 7960 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Johnny2523 »

i always liked it - but Juan.. the video in your topic is an overdubbed version (With a karaoke overdub)


if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets


Scarre
Posts: 5171
Joined: 21 years 1 month
Been thanked: 1377 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Scarre »

Juan Luis wrote:
OnTourCam wrote:I like it have done for years
It's a good fun song love the bass line
My best mate got me into it he loves it more than me and then it rubbed off on me :)
The same thing happened to me with a close loved one. I thought. How's that supposed to be? I am The fan!! :lol:
No, no, no guys...this is substandard material and therefore can't be enjoyed. Shame on you! :D :D



User avatar

Tony C
Posts: 849
Joined: 9 years 11 months
Mood:
Has thanked: 4985 times
Been thanked: 424 times
Age: 59

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Tony C »

I've always liked "Animal Instinct", from an album that people love to hate.



User avatar

Mike Windgren
Posts: 9210
Joined: 21 years 1 month
Location: España.
Has thanked: 2314 times
Been thanked: 4431 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Love it, one of the standout song on this soundtrack! :smt020. There has been a rumour circulating for many years, that the scene for this song was included in the trailer of the movie when showed in Far East countries. Other songs were planned for the recording session as well 8):
The songs Baby If You'll Give Me All Your Love, Let Yourself Go and Please Don't Stop Loving Me were originally submitted to be used for the movie, but were eventually dropped.
Two more outtakes and the complete session of Animal Instinct will be available for the true Elvis fan :wink:. Thanks. Bye for now :smt006.

..

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/650226.html#02


Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.
.


Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Image

User avatar

JimmyCool
Posts: 5734
Joined: 16 years 5 months
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
Mood:
Has thanked: 1011 times
Been thanked: 2096 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by JimmyCool »

I really like it, this is the (remixed) version I use on my compilations:

ANIMAL INSTINCT


Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.


Topic author
poormadpeter2

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by poormadpeter2 »

It's probably Elvis's best vocal from the soundtrack - which isn't saying much. And the instrumentation is mildly interesting - which isn't saying much. Presumably the flute is somehow meant to represent the location of the film, but it really doesn't. But the real thing that lets the side down is that the melody of the song is forced and clunky. The section that starts "I can be sneaky..." is completely awkward musically - and that's not Elvis's fault, it's the "tune" he's given. These are the same people who wrote Power of my Love, for goodness sake. Even worse is Florence Kaye in Writing for the King making out that Wisdom of the Ages was deep and meaningful and boasting she wrote it in fifteen minutes.




Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Juan Luis »

Johnny2523 wrote:i always liked it - but Juan.. the video in your topic is an overdubbed version (With a karaoke overdub)
Thanks! Hadn't heard it. Will change ASAP!



User avatar

Robert
Posts: 8616
Joined: 19 years 10 months
Location: Promised Land
Has thanked: 1537 times
Been thanked: 2301 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Robert »

Thanks for this post JL!
Like the song. Good sound and interesting arrangement.
The whole soundtrack is a bit standalone but in my view above hollywood average.
And better than the movie itself;)

I was surprised when I first listened to the album (double features) because of the different approach.
I have a soft spot for it.


Image


Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Juan Luis »

JimmyCool wrote:I really like it, this is the (remixed) version I use on my compilations:

ANIMAL INSTINCT
Thank you Jimmy!




Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Juan Luis »

mike edwards66 wrote:One of my favourite tracks, seriously. For me, the best sounding version, is the one from the guy who used to post here a couple or so years back, RetroAudio. The drums and flute, combined wit Elvis' vocal make for an ear-grabbing and smokey feel, rarely achieved on any other Presley recording.

Could have been on FEIM.
I sure do know how to pick' em! :D




Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by Juan Luis »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Love it, one of the standout song on this soundtrack! :smt020. There has been a rumour circulating for many years, that the scene for this song was included in the trailer of the movie when showed in Far East countries. Other songs were planned for the recording session as well 8):
The songs Baby If You'll Give Me All Your Love, Let Yourself Go and Please Don't Stop Loving Me were originally submitted to be used for the movie, but were eventually dropped.
Two more outtakes and the complete session of Animal Instinct will be available for the true Elvis fan :wink:. Thanks. Bye for now :smt006.

..

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/650226.html#02
Thanks Mike! :smt006




Topic author
JerryNodak

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by JerryNodak »

It's an okay song. Kinda catchy. I like the drums.



User avatar

rjm
Posts: 11323
Joined: 13 years 4 months
Location: Cali
Has thanked: 2717 times
Been thanked: 1200 times

Re: Any love for ANIMAL INSTINCT ?

Post by rjm »

Good band. Song and performance s**k.

rjm


"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64