Suppose - A hidden gem

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic


User avatar

Topic author
TINML
Posts: 3636
Registered for: 20 years 10 months
Has thanked: 1210 times
Been thanked: 1110 times
Age: 36

Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by TINML »

Ok so this Goehring and Dee composition isn't brilliant by any stretch, Elvis' vocal makes this a treat to listen to. It's really one of my all time favorite vocal performances from the King, flawless IMO.

I know there are theories of this song having inspired John Lennon when composing Imagine but I personally find it hard to believe.

Anyone else love this tune ?
..

..

..
Last edited by TINML on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.


"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

User avatar

Johnny2523
Posts: 12884
Registered for: 11 years 9 months
Has thanked: 2093 times
Been thanked: 7886 times

Re: Suppose - A hiddgen gem

Post by Johnny2523 »

Great song, I prefer the home recording :D


if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

User avatar

Hobbes
Posts: 1257
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Location: CT
Has thanked: 2268 times
Been thanked: 970 times

Re: Suppose - A hiddgen gem

Post by Hobbes »

The lyrics aren't very good but it seems like Elvis, for whatever reason, heard something in this song. He puts the kind of sincerity into this track that he normally reserved for his gospel recordings.



User avatar

jurasic1968
Posts: 12415
Registered for: 11 years 7 months
Has thanked: 13562 times
Been thanked: 2599 times

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by jurasic1968 »

Great song? Not at all.




Eggrert
Posts: 1377
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by Eggrert »

jurasic1968 wrote:Great song? Not at all.
Maybe it's not a great song, but I'd say it's a great performance. My favourite is the one on A Golden Celebration.



User avatar

Mike Windgren
Posts: 9202
Registered for: 20 years 11 months
Location: España.
Has thanked: 2294 times
Been thanked: 4411 times

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Love this song, Elvis vocal & pronunciation is superb, particulary the stress on "wish"! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/jstLzGdI/file.html
Suppose. Elvis vocal & piano only. Binaural Wav Audio Rip.


Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.
.


Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Image


r&b

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by r&b »

It stood out as a bonus song on the Speedway album. I guess thats not too hard to do considering what it was up against. Let Yourself Go was also a standout. Is it great? No. Is it a good performance? Yes and a decent melody. Inspired Imagine? I dont see that. Just decent, not a gem though,




poormadpeter2

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Suppose is sung beautifully by Elvis, but his taste was certainly questionable when it came to morose or over-sentimental songs such as this one. He clearly loved it, but it's a morose effort and even maybe self-indulgent - and the weirdest thing of all is that SHE STILL LOVES HIM! He's not saying she's gone, but "what if?" If he's that miserable WITH her, heaven knows what song he'd be singing if she actually left him!




skatterbrane

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by skatterbrane »

I really like the song, and Elvis' performance.



User avatar

Topic author
TINML
Posts: 3636
Registered for: 20 years 10 months
Has thanked: 1210 times
Been thanked: 1110 times
Age: 36

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by TINML »

poormadpeter2 wrote:Suppose is sung beautifully by Elvis, but his taste was certainly questionable when it came to morose or over-sentimental songs such as this one. He clearly loved it, but it's a morose effort and even maybe self-indulgent - and the weirdest thing of all is that SHE STILL LOVES HIM! He's not saying she's gone, but "what if?" If he's that miserable WITH her, heaven knows what song he'd be singing if she actually left him!
:lol: :lol:

Spot on and yeah that's my whole point, not a great song BUT a song I tend to listen to often because of the vocal performance laid down by Elvis.


"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."


GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Posts: 3130
Registered for: 20 years 2 months
Has thanked: 870 times
Been thanked: 514 times

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by GERRY »

Suppose birds didn't fly across the sky. This song has beautiful lyrics, many people will probably view them as lame or worse, this is their problem. I was watching a program about the humming bird and specifically what a miracle it is.
Elvis is ahead of the game and in the future people will see that his music is well chosen.

The Sun is approx half way though it's stable period the earth is billions years old and we can only exist on it for a mere small window of time and it is only a total of about 20,000 years. We need to change our ways. Birds are a miracle as are other things mentioned in this beautiful song.

Thankyou Elvis for singing about things that really matter.

One thing i am realising after all these years is Elvis' love of God.

Sorry to get heavy.




Eggrert
Posts: 1377
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by Eggrert »

poormadpeter2 wrote:Suppose is sung beautifully by Elvis, but his taste was certainly questionable when it came to morose or over-sentimental songs such as this one. He clearly loved it, but it's a morose effort and even maybe self-indulgent - and the weirdest thing of all is that SHE STILL LOVES HIM! He's not saying she's gone, but "what if?" If he's that miserable WITH her, heaven knows what song he'd be singing if she actually left him!
I actually quite like that aspect of it; it really gets at self-doubt and insecurity, which you don't see all that often in Elvis' catalogue.




The Pirate

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by The Pirate »

TINML wrote: I know there are theories of this song having inspired John Lennon when composing Imagine but I personally find it hard to believe.
I don't know why those theories exist, it's well known that Imagine was inspired by a Yoko Ono poem from 1964.




Brian Quinn
Posts: 4593
Registered for: 21 years
Location: Caddington, England
Has thanked: 1671 times
Been thanked: 1969 times
Age: 79

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by Brian Quinn »

'Suppose' is one of my Top 10 Elvis songs. I love the way he sings it. No other singer has that special timbre of voice to sing it that way.

Brian



User avatar

drjohncarpenter
Posts: 107314
Registered for: 21 years
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 11753 times
Been thanked: 34082 times
Age: 89

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TINML wrote:Ok so this Goehring and Dee composition isn't brilliant by any stretch, Elvis' vocal makes this a treat to listen to. It's really one of my all time favorite vocal performances from the King, flawless IMO.

I know there are theories of this song having inspired John Lennon when composing Imagine but I personally find it hard to believe.

Anyone else love this tune ?
Not I.

First off, in no way did this unremarkable recording influence the creation of John Lennon's masterpiece, "Imagine."

Had Elvis never taped "Suppose," no one would miss it. It's third-tier material, and it's depressing just how much time and effort Presley devoted to it, with both home demos and studio work. It's a musical manifestation of Elvis' obsession with French actor-singer Charles Boyer, and a melancholy 1965 album he released.


Image

Charles Boyer Where Does Love Go? (Valiant 5001, November 20, 1965)


.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!


Scarre
Posts: 5171
Registered for: 21 years
Been thanked: 1377 times

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by Scarre »

EP put alot of work in to this one. A lovely song. If it never had been recorded, I would miss it...
Last edited by Scarre on Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.




poormadpeter2

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Eggrert wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Suppose is sung beautifully by Elvis, but his taste was certainly questionable when it came to morose or over-sentimental songs such as this one. He clearly loved it, but it's a morose effort and even maybe self-indulgent - and the weirdest thing of all is that SHE STILL LOVES HIM! He's not saying she's gone, but "what if?" If he's that miserable WITH her, heaven knows what song he'd be singing if she actually left him!
I actually quite like that aspect of it; it really gets at self-doubt and insecurity, which you don't see all that often in Elvis' catalogue.
Actually, you see it quite a bit, and with much better songs such as They Remind Me Too Much of You, I Need Somebody To Lean On, and Indescribably Blue.




poormadpeter2

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by poormadpeter2 »

GERRY wrote:Suppose birds didn't fly across the sky. This song has beautiful lyrics, many people will probably view them as lame or worse, this is their problem. I was watching a program about the humming bird and specifically what a miracle it is.
Elvis is ahead of the game and in the future people will see that his music is well chosen.

The Sun is approx half way though it's stable period the earth is billions years old and we can only exist on it for a mere small window of time and it is only a total of about 20,000 years. We need to change our ways. Birds are a miracle as are other things mentioned in this beautiful song.

Thankyou Elvis for singing about things that really matter.

One thing i am realising after all these years is Elvis' love of God.

Sorry to get heavy.
Yes, but Elvis isn't singing about birds or the sun, he's bemoaning the loss of a girlfriend that hasn't happened. The birds and the sun are just metaphors. The same technique is used in the lyrics of It's Impossible - except this time it's suns, babies and oceans.




Juan Luis

Re: Suppose - A hiddgen gem

Post by Juan Luis »

Johnny2523 wrote:Great song, I prefer the home recording :D
Yes. Personally discovered by Joan Deary at Graceland. The ones that bemoan the song. Are the ones supposing Elvis had fired Parker. Suppose no movies. Suppose this, suppose that! :lol:



User avatar

MaryAnn
Posts: 1787
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A.
Has thanked: 960 times
Been thanked: 1225 times

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by MaryAnn »

I love the song in all its forms -- especially the home recording.

The singer is considering some of the unthinkable things that might happen in our natural world and comparing them to the unthinkable situation where "you didn't love me." Devastating! The simple things mentioned are what make our world beautiful. They enrich our lives and make life worth living -- just as his love does. If she didn't love him, it would be a calamity of cosmic proportions and life wouldn't be worth living.

The song seems absolutely consitent with Elvis' musical taste to me. Not surprising at all that he invested so much time and effort into it. I'm glad he did. One of my favorites.




Juan Luis

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by Juan Luis »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Love this song, Elvis vocal & pronunciation is superb, particulary the stress on "wish"! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/jstLzGdI/file.html
Suppose. Elvis vocal & piano only. Binaural Wav Audio Rip.
Thanks Mike!



User avatar

midnightx
Posts: 23526
Registered for: 20 years 5 months
Location: The Long and Winding Road
Has thanked: 1364 times
Been thanked: 3469 times

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by midnightx »

Suppose is a precursor to Life.




Juan Luis

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by Juan Luis »

Yes. Can't imagine Lennon with no possessions. The same way some cannot imagine Elvis playing the bars with a water glass full of whisky.




sweetangeline
Posts: 8569
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Has thanked: 1209 times
Been thanked: 2879 times

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by sweetangeline »

midnightx wrote:Suppose is a precursor to Life.
...that gave me a chuckle :lol: but SUPPOSE has got the edge...just :wink:




MountainMisst

Re: Suppose - A hidden gem

Post by MountainMisst »

MaryAnn wrote:I love the song in all its forms -- especially the home recording.

The singer is considering some of the unthinkable things that might happen in our natural world and comparing them to the unthinkable situation where "you didn't love me." Devastating! The simple things mentioned are what make our world beautiful. They enrich our lives and make life worth living -- just as his love does. If she didn't love him, it would be a calamity of cosmic proportions and life wouldn't be worth living.

The song seems absolutely consitent with Elvis' musical taste to me. Not surprising at all that he invested so much time and effort into it. I'm glad he did. One of my favorites.


I agree MaryAnn, and beautifully said.

A few words to describe the lyrics of "Suppose" - tenderness and love between a man and woman. :D :D :D :smt007 :smt006