"I'm Counting On You" - The Wells and Helguera connections

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Mister Moon

"I'm Counting On You" - The Wells and Helguera connections

Post by Mister Moon »

On Wednesday, January 11, 1956, Elvis recorded “I’m Counting On You” at RCA Victor’s studios on McGavock Street, in Nashville. The occasion marked several “firsts” for Elvis.

That session and the one he did the day before at the same studios represented his effective debut as an RCA Victor recording artist Also, that January 11 date was the first time Elvis used background vocalists in a studio (he also recorded “I Was The One” the same day, which would be used as the flip side of “Heartbreak Hotel”). He was backed by Gordon Stoker, Ben Speer and Brock Speer. Another first for both dates was D.J. Fontana playing on a recording studio with Elvis. He had been playing with him on stage since 1955, but never on an official date (the few Sun tracks by Elvis featuring drums were played, at different times, by Johnny Bernero and Jimmie Lott). Finally, “I’m Counting On You” was the first Don Robertson composition recorded by Elvis. In the following years he would record over a dozen Robertson titles, especially in the first half of the sixties.

The recording was first issued in March 1956 as part of Elvis’ debut album for his new label. It was the song that followed the big opening blast of “Blue Suede Shoes” on “Elvis Presley” (LPM-1254). At the same time, it was released as part of a double EP (EPB-1254, which included eight songs from the album), and later in the year it was coupled as a single with “I Got A Woman”.

Counting 6637b.JPG

Take 17 was selected as the master. Two other complete takes, as well as several fragments and false starts, have survived from the session, and they are all available in the FTD deluxe issue of Elvis’ first album.

This is the master take :

Late in 1957, an Australian EP appeared bearing the title of the Robertson song, and combining two songs from Elvis' debut album ("I'm Counting On You" and "I Got A Woman") with two songs from the second one ("How's The World Treating You" and "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again"), and using the same David Hecht image as LPM-1382 :

Counting Aus.jpg

///////////////

On Tuesday, September 11, 1956, country music great Kitty Wells was recording her own version of “I’m Counting On You” at Music City recording studios in Nashville. She was backed by some of the best musicians in the business, including Chet Atkins on guitar, and Floyd Cramer on piano, who are also heard on Elvis’ version. Wells’ recording of the Robertson song would be released later in the year on the Decca label as the b-side of “Repenting”, a song that would hit the Top Ten.

Counting Wellls 45.jpg
Wells BB 561103.JPG
Wells BB 561103b.JPG
Wells BB 561110.JPG

///////////////

Kitty and Elvis had shared stage several times in 1955, and it looks like they also shared a mutual respect that lasted through the years, as we have photos from at least two occasions where they met again :

Counting Wells 1960b.jpg
Counting WEbb.jpg
Counting WEb.JPG

///////////////

This is off-topic, but I can't resist posting other cool Kitty Wells images I found during research for this topic :

Counting 2 -.jpg
Counting aa.jpg
Counting WW.JPG

///////////////

What else ? One last thing.

The title of the Don Robertson song recorded by Elvis and Kitty in 1956 was maybe inspired by this 1943 poster issued by the USA government right in the middle of World War II :

Counting Helguera 1943.jpg

Contrarily to what I had always thought, the classic "I Want You..." Uncle Sam poster was not drawn for WWII, as it was created in 1917 by American illustrator James Montgomery Flagg. Ironically, the 1943 poster shown above was not created by a USA native, but by Mexican illustrator León Helguera. He would also go on to design other popular images, such as postal stamps, and other posters. This is one of those beautiful creations, from 1945, designed for Pan American Airways :

Counting 1945 -.jpg

George Smith

Re: "I'm Counting On You" - The Wells and Helguera connectio

Post by George Smith »

Lovely topic, well presented, thank you, MM.

It's not necessarily my favourite Elvis/Roberston track but I'm very fond of the dry fragments that have surfaced.

The Kitty Wells version is cool -- I've looked into Kitty Wells' career quite a bit over the past couple of years -- nice lady, good voice.

She and her two bandmates provided Chet Atkins with one of his first regular paying gigs back in 1946.

The Jungnickel publishing house has a fascinating story behind it and was owned at this time by Hill & Range (surprise surprise).

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Thanks, George. Much appreciated.

No big revelations, as you can see. Just having some fun with this internet thing. :)

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Thanks MM. Enjoyed it very much!

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Glad you liked it, Juan Luis.

Thanks !

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

Kitty's voice was always, for me anyway, bordering on shrill. Sterling work, MM. Thanks.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

promiseland

Post by promiseland »

Since you had a 1942 RCA "Magic Brain" sleeve on Elvis' 1956 78rpm of 'I'm Counting On You" I thought it would be interesting to shed a little insight on just what and how these "Magic Brain" players worked, which is really kind of unusual and dangerous to the records which is a good thing it ceased in 1942 in preparation of WWII.

Watch this video of it's amazingly unusual technology.

Here's the original 1941 ad for RCA's Magic Brain Victrola.
1948-AD-RCA-Victrola-radio-and-phonograph-magic-brain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

mike edwards66 wrote:Kitty's voice was always, for me anyway, bordering on shrill. Sterling work, MM. Thanks.
Thanks, Mike.

I love Kitty's voice. She was a pure country singer, as was the great Rose Maddox.

No chance of crossover for them - just the real thing.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Here's Kitty version of "Wooden Heart", recorded August 16, 1961 in Nashville, and released the following year as part of a Decca Extended Play :

Wells Wooden.jpg

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

Mister Moon wrote:I love Kitty's voice. She was a pure country singer, as was the great Rose Maddox.

No chance of crossover for them - just the real thing.
Well, that's very true.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Revelator

Post by Revelator »

Excellent post. "I'm Counting on You" is one of favorite Elvis/Robertson tracks. The yearning tone in Elvis's voice was probably inspired by the demo, sung by Lou Dinning, Robertson's ex-wife.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Interesting topic.

Kitty Wells was certainly more the type of artist that songwriter Don Robertson was used to in 1956. Apparently, he fell out of favor with the Presley camp after his clear disinterest in the Elvis recording. Publisher Jean Aberbach had promised him a "big artist" would be recording "I'm Counting On You." He would not place another song with Presley until 1961.

Also, although Elvis and Kitty did share the stage back in 1955, it was only a few shows:

10-19 Cleveland
10-21 St. Louis
10-22 St. Louis
12-03 Montgomery

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Revelator wrote:Excellent post. "I'm Counting on You" is one of favorite Elvis/Robertson tracks. The yearning tone in Elvis's voice was probably inspired by the demo, sung by Lou Dinning, Robertson's ex-wife.

Excellent addition !

I don't have Bear Family's CD of Don Robertson demos for Elvis, so this one is new to me.

Great to hear Lou Dinning singing her heart out. It's clear that Elvis did imitate her phrasing and vocal nuances for his version. In that sense, Kitty Wells' recording is more of a "creation" than Elvis'.

By the way, Lou Dinning was one of the sisters of singer Mark Dinning, who had a big hit in 1960 with the immortal "Teen Angel".

Many thanks.

drjohncarpenter wrote: Kitty Wells was certainly more the type of artist that songwriter Don Robertson was used to in 1956. Apparently, he fell out of favor with the Presley camp after his clear disinterest in the Elvis recording. Publisher Jean Aberbach had promised him a "big artist" would be recording "I'm Counting On You." He would not place another song with Presley until 1961.

Also, although Elvis and Kitty did share the stage back in 1955, it was only a few shows:

10-19 Cleveland
10-21 St. Louis
10-22 St. Louis
12-03 Montgomery
Excellent addition, too !

Great to have the exact dates and cities where Elvis and Kitty shared the stage.

Many thanks.

Puritan

Post by Puritan »

Les Paul and Mary Ford recorded "I'm Counting on You" in Paul's Mahwah, NJ, studio sometime during spring 1956. On May 22, 1956, Capitol Records logged the track as master #16067. To the best of my knowledge, it is one of two Paul and Ford Capitol masters that remain unreleased on shellac, vinyl or CD -- truly a shame, since Mary Ford excelled on power ballads like this one.
Last edited by Puritan on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Puritan wrote:Les Paul and Mary Ford recorded "I'm Counting on You" in Paul's Mahwah, NJ, studio sometime during spring 1956. On May 22, 1956, Capitol Records logged the track as master #16067. To the best of my knowledge, it is the only Paul and Ford Capitol master that remains unreleased on shellac, vinyl or CD -- truly a shame, since Mary Ford excelled on power ballads like this one.
That's valuable information. Many thanks !

I see that Les Paul & Mary Ford did also record another Robertson song in 1955 called "Hummingbird", a Top Ten hit. It was also recorded by other artists :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird_(1955_song)

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

Loving this thread.

WALK A LONELY STREET

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

One of the earliest versions of "Release Me", recorded January 19, 1954 at Castle Studio (Tulane Hotel), in Nashville (incidentally, the very same studio where Hank Williams cut most of his classics).

This was a Top Ten hit later in 1954. It's such a beautiful performance, by all involved. I love the way the fiddle (played by Dorris Warren) kicks in for the second instrumental break. Chet Atkins leads the band here too :

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Since 1953, Meridian (Mississippi) has staged a yearly memorial festival for Jimmie Rodgers, born there in 1897. Year after year, the best names in country music have performed there in memory of one of the founding fathers of the genre.

Elvis was in Meridian too, in 1955, and several photos, silent footage, and even a live recording of "That's All Right" have surfaced over the years. Here's a nice YouTube upload about it all. The song was recorded May 26, 1955, and released for the first time ever three years ago, in "A Boy From Tupelo" :

And here are a couple of photos of Kitty Wells during the Jimmie Rodgers memorial in Meridian, circa 1957 (sorry about the watermarks !) :

Meridian.jpg
Meridian b.jpg

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

Fabulous pictures, MM, thank you.

Hank Snow and Ernest Tubb were very much the driving force behind the Rodgers festivals.

WALK A LONELY STREET

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

George Smith wrote:Fabulous pictures, MM, thank you.

Hank Snow and Ernest Tubb were very much the driving force behind the Rodgers festivals.
You're welcome, George, and thanks as always for your valuable input.

They are certainly beautiful photos, and since you mentioned earlier in this thread the Atkins / Wells connection in the 40s (of which I was unaware), here's a photo I found in the same website. It's credited as being from "circa 1942", but it's probably from a bit later :

Wells Chet Wright.jpg

drjohncarpenter

Mister Moon wrote:Since 1953, Meridian (Mississippi) has staged a yearly memorial festival for Jimmie Rodgers, born there in 1897. Year after year, the best names in country music have performed there in memory of one of the founding fathers of the genre.

Elvis was in Meridian too, in 1955, and several photos, silent footage, and even a live recording of "That's All Right" have surfaced over the years. Here's a nice YouTube upload about it all. The song was recorded May 26, 1955, and released for the first time ever three years ago, in "A Boy From Tupelo" :

And here are a couple of photos of Kitty Wells during the Jimmie Rodgers memorial in Meridian, circa 1957 (sorry about the watermarks !) :

(l - r) : Hank Snow, Ernest Tubb, Miss Carrie Rodgers (Jimmie's widow), Kitty Wells.
Johnny Cash can be seen in the background, far right.

The Kitty Wells photos were taken during and after the show done on 5-22-1957 (Wed) at the Fifth Annual Jimmie Rodgers Memorial Day Celebration. They had to move up the date because that year May 26 fell on a Sunday, and it was too difficult to schedule many of the artists. Wells was given an award as the "Queen of Country Music."

Billboard Jun 03 1957 p21.JPG
Billboard - June 3, 1957

The event was marred by a conflict between Jim Denny, formerly of the Grand Ole Opry, and Ernest Tubb, who had co-founded the festival with Hank Snow in 1953. Denny decided to undercut the paid event by bringing the "Phillip Morris Country Music Show," including "free" admission. Tubb remained so angry that, while drunk, nearly took a shot at Denny in Nashville a few days later. There would be no festival in 1958, and the one in 1959 was the last for Tubb or Snow.

One of the most remarkable things about Elvis' performance on the 5-26-1955 Meridian broadcast is how he sounds like no one else in the half hour. From Jim Reeves to Chickie Williams, he is the odd duck, and this is even noted by MC Horace Logan. The crowd sure seems to like it, though. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote: The Kitty Wells photos were taken during and after the show done on 5-22-1957 (Wed) at the Fifth Annual Jimmie Rodgers Memorial Day Celebration. They had to move up the date because that year May 26 fell on a Sunday, and it was too difficult to schedule many of the artists. Wells was given an award as the "Queen of Country Music."

Billboard Jun 03 1957 p21.JPG
Billboard - June 3, 1957

The event was marred by a conflict between Jim Denny, formerly of the Grand Ole Opry, and Ernest Tubb, who had co-founded the festival with Hank Snow in 1953. Denny decided to undercut the paid event by bringing the "Phillip Morris Country Music Show," including "free" admission. Tubb remained so angry that, while drunk, nearly took a shot at Denny in Nashville a few days later. There would be no festival in 1958, and the one in 1959 was the last for Tubb or Snow.

One of the most remarkable things about Elvis' performance on the 5-26-1955 Meridian broadcast is how he sounds like no one else in the half hour. From Jim Reeves to Chickie Williams, he is the odd duck, and this is even noted by MC Horace Logan. The crowd sure seems to like it, though. :D
Great post. Thanks a lot for the "Billboard" page, and the additional information !

What a great lineup of artists. They should have filmed those events, so Bear Family could have released a series of DVDs six decades later !

I agree that Elvis' Meridian performance of "That's All Right" is stunning. For me, it was the real revelation among the 3 CDs included in "A Boy From Tupelo", even more so than "Little Mama" - great to have a new title, but it's really a pedestrian version, I think.

By the way, is the rest of the 1955 broadcast (featuring the other artists) available somewhere ?

Thanks again.

drjohncarpenter

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The Kitty Wells photos were taken during and after the show done on 5-22-1957 (Wed) at the Fifth Annual Jimmie Rodgers Memorial Day Celebration. They had to move up the date because that year May 26 fell on a Sunday, and it was too difficult to schedule many of the artists. Wells was given an award as the "Queen of Country Music."

Billboard - June 3, 1957

Great post. Thanks a lot for the "Billboard" page, and the additional information !

What a great lineup of artists. They should have filmed those events, so Bear Family could have released a series of DVDs six decades later !

I agree that Elvis' Meridian performance of "That's All Right" is stunning. For me, it was the real revelation among the 3 CDs included in "A Boy From Tupelo", even more so than "Little Mama" - great to have a new title, but it's really a pedestrian version, I think.

By the way, is the rest of the 1955 broadcast (featuring the other artists) available somewhere ?

Thanks again.
It is a shame more of this era does not exist on film and audio, especially the 1955 Meridian Festival. Heh. The audio component to the A Boy From Tupelo book remains a joy across all three CDs, and overall it remains the most important project released on Elvis Presley in this decade. I disagree about the live performance of "Little Mama" found on CD 3. Elvis is so alive and spirited, it is yet another example of how everything he went after in this period is a revelation. This was not just an R&B cover of the Clovers, but something entirely new. The 1955 Meridian broadcast is not in circulation, and has not seen an official release, outside of Elvis' fiery rendition of "That's All Right."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

Mister Moon wrote:
George Smith wrote:They are certainly beautiful photos, and since you mentioned earlier in this thread the Atkins / Wells connection in the 40s (of which I was unaware), here's a photo I found in the same website. It's credited as being from "circa 1942", but it's probably from a bit later
This is turning into one helluva thread, MM: great input, John, thank you.

The picture is probably from mid '46 - mid '47.

Here's a non-watermarked copy:
Wells Atkins.jpg
Kitty Wells was the stage name of Ellen Deason, and she was named for a Civil War ballad.

Here's the most famous version by the Pickard family (it contains some grating words to modern ears, I'm afraid).

The Pickards sang on the same Grand Ole Opry bill as Presley in June 1927.

WALK A LONELY STREET

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Thanks for another great post, George, and for your kind words. It's really because of the remarkable additions of several different members that this (or any other) thread becomes interesting !

Just a question : what does the last line in your post mean ? I'm confused :
George Smith wrote:The Pickards sang on the same Grand Ole Opry bill as Presley in June 1927.