Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

It's been a while since I last listened to a show from April 1975 but earlier tonight I gave CD 1 of the "From Georgia to Florida" FTD a spin, and I am glad I did because this is a great listen. I think sometimes the dull sound quality on these old tapes plays tricks on us. Make no mistake: this was a great show. There is no way anyone left this show feeling disappointed.

Just look at that setlist. Elvis was not going through the motions during this time. From "Big Boss Man" on, it's high quality all the way. I have always had a liking for the 1975 live versions of "Burning Love" and this one does not disappoint. "American Trilogy" features some really nice singing from Elvis. Also, he looked awesome back in the spring of 1975.

Yep, I sure could use some more shows from this period.

01 Elvis talks
02 Love Me
03 If You Love Me
04 You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
05 Big Boss Man
06 It's Midnight
07 Promised Land
08 Fairytale
09 Burning Love
10 Introductions/What'd I Say/School Days
11 My Boy
12 T-R-O-U-B-L-E
13 I'll Remember You
14 Let Me Be There
15 American Trilogy
16 Can't Help Falling In Love
17 Closing Vamp

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I revisited CD2 from the "Elvis In California" FTD during the weekend. This is a solid show. But there is very little to distinguish it from so many others around this time. So I don't think I'll play it again in the near future.

However, I like this FTD very much because it covers a tour that I wasn't too familiar with previously, and I also think these 2CD sets were perfect - they should have stuck with that concept. Pretty nice artwork too.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I've been listening to a variety of concerts recently, here is a list of them (all from FTD----Thank You for these shows)

May 12, 1973 MS
May 13, 1974ES
March 28, 1975MS
August 24 & 29, 1974
August 24, 1974DS
August 29, 1974MS

All of these are terrific performances from Elvis. Even the August 1974 Vegas shows are entertaining. Sometimes IMHO, this season is viewed and judged by what took place on September 2. That's too bad. Elvis sang a variety of new songs during this engagement and if each show is judged on its own merits and not through the lens of September 2, we'll discover some really good and entertaining shows from Elvis.
The March/April 1975 season at Vegas may have been one of Elvis' best seasons, post-1970. The show I listened to mentioned above is very entertaining and the bonus songs are quite good as well.
The May 1973 season at Tahoe is terrific. The show from the 12th noted above may be his best show of 1973, post-Aloha.
The May 13, 1974 show is excellent. Yes, much like the March 1974 tour, but quite entertaining. That brief season of May '74 shows are great to have.

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

rlj4ep wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:30 pm
I've been listening to a variety of concerts recently, here is a list of them (all from FTD----Thank You for these shows)

May 12, 1973 MS
May 13, 1974ES
March 28, 1975MS
August 24 & 29, 1974
August 24, 1974DS
August 29, 1974MS

All of these are terrific performances from Elvis. Even the August 1974 Vegas shows are entertaining. Sometimes IMHO, this season is viewed and judged by what took place on September 2. That's too bad. Elvis sang a variety of new songs during this engagement and if each show is judged on its own merits and not through the lens of September 2, we'll discover some really good and entertaining shows from Elvis.
The March/April 1975 season at Vegas may have been one of Elvis' best seasons, post-1970. The show I listened to mentioned above is very entertaining and the bonus songs are quite good as well.
The May 1973 season at Tahoe is terrific. The show from the 12th noted above may be his best show of 1973, post-Aloha.
The May 13, 1974 show is excellent. Yes, much like the March 1974 tour, but quite entertaining. That brief season of May '74 shows are great to have.
Yes the may 1974 shows are quite good but lack the immense power Elvis has in the March shows. The March 1974 shows are probably the best shows in the post August 1972 period. I think March 1975 is a close second: his singing is about as good, but like the May 1974 shows, he lacks the raw power he had in March 1974.

About the August 1974 shows: this is really hit or miss in my opinion. Some August shows are strong, while in others he almost sounds like he did in 1976. This happened as early as the first week, so long before September 2. I've always liked the season however, for its rare songs and the many ad-libs Elvis does. One can think it's irritating, and it can be when Elvis does a somewhat erratic ad-lib (Bridge Over Troubled Water September 1) but for most songs it works imo.

Mister Mike

Post by Mister Mike »

Still my go-to CD for this concert.

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

nrSGE

Post by nrSGE »

Elvis In Atlanta '75 first Show

Really good show in my opining. Love Me is mediocre and If You Love Me is good but nothing special, but after that you can tell Elvis connects to the audicence. On the next song, which is Love Me Tender, he sings a - for these days - rare additional verse. The oldies All Shook Up and Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel make fun and Elvis is clearly engaged.
The first two highlights follow with I'll Remeber You (with a little fun in between) and Help Me. How Great Thou Art is an exceptional version, even though Elvis has already started to overuse the climax in the middle. The audicence is thrilled and encourages Elvis for the whole performance. Atlanta was something different.
After the intros the best phase of the concert starts: My Boy, TROUBLE, It's Now Or Never, Let Me Be There, An American Trilogy, and Burning Love all are really, really good versions and sung well. Trilogy is really done strongly and the voice does sound almost as in 1972. Tow days later he would do an even slightly better performance.
The show closes with an above average Funny How Time Slips Away and the rarity and request That's All Right before Can't Help Falling In Love wraps up the evening.

All in all I would rate the show as a 9/10 if I am generous. One of the best shows I have heard from 1975. Others being the April Fool's Show and the December 13th shows. I haven't heard the Ashville Shows to this date, so cannot comment on them.

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

A blast from bootleg past.
Very good show, good sound and interesting bonus songs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohanD

nrSGE

Post by nrSGE »

Today I had time for the second show from Atlanta May 1st, 1975.

The concert recording starts with Elvis asking the audience "How many of you were here last night, just curious". The crowd must have been wild those days back in May '75. And much of the concert is spent kissing the ladies and having fun. Sadly this time, Elvis' good mood seems not to translate into inspired Oldies. Nevertheless, If You Love Me is now done better and is an early Highlight. Yesterday's terrific version of Help Me cannot be reproduced and Why Me Lord is the now usual laughing version. Luckily, the first half is rescued by a mistake free Burning Love.

After the introductions Elvis uncommonly forgets the lyrics of the third verse of My Boy and has to restart the song midway. Thereafter things start flowing. TROUBLE, I'll Remember You (best Atlanta version), Let Me Be There and Trilogy are all strong versions. Especially I'll Remember You is a heartfelt reading and for me one of his strongest performances of the song in general.

After that there is again time for two requests. This time Help Me Make It Through The Night (sung well) and That's All Right (not as strong as one day earlier) are performed. Then the show comes to an end with a standard Can't Help Falling In Love.

All in all I would say this is the worst Atlanta 75 show, although still good for the standard of the year. I am not sure if it is a 7/10 or a 8/10. Maybe in between and largely due to the second half. I would add that this has probably the best sound of the three Atlanta recordings from '75.

Mister Mike

Post by Mister Mike »

nrSGE

Post by nrSGE »

Today was time to finish my Atlanta Triathlon.

The third show from May 2nd, 1975 starts off the best of all three shows. Love Me unusually makes fun and If You Love Me is really engaged. The oldies afterwards are fun. Especially the Don't Be Cruel part of the medley needs to be highlighted. Then, a strong The Wonder Of You follows, which was a first for this tour as well. Burning Love is again a rockin' version but slightly sloppier than the one from May 1st. The introductions make fun, too. Not too long but inspired.

The second half starts off with a treat, that being Steamroller Blues - really done well. Sadly, Elvis is a little bit out of breath after the sandwich of Burning Love and Steamroller, which leads to a good but not exceptional My Boy when compared to April 30th. The trend is verified by good but sloppier versions of T-R-O-U-B-L-E and I'll Remeber You. The One-Liner of the Mickey Mouse Song shows us how good a mood Elvis is in before things start to rock once more with Let Me Be There, though I would call this the worst of the three performances. Then, the mighty Trilogy follows accompanied by lasting standing ovations from the crowd. This particular interaction makes the performance a gem and the best Trilogy performed in Atlanta and maybe the whole year 1975 (soon the flute solo would be performed by a trumpet instead...). Funny How Time Slips Away contains the "funny" Joke and the evening is closed with a standard Can't Help Falling In Love. For the highlights and tight start I'd rate this show an 8/10, although the second half can't quite keep up the spirit in comparison to the other shows.

All in all this has been a wonderful and fun journey. Lastly, I have prepared a list of my favourite versions down below and compiled my (subjective) ultimate Atlanta concert from it:

Love Me - May 2
If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - May 2
Love Me Tender - April 30
All Shook Up - April 30
(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear - April 30
The Wonder Of You - May 2
Help Me - April 30
How Great Thou Art - April 30
Burning Love - May 1
Introductions - May 2
Steamroller Blues - May 2
My Boy - April 30
T-R-O-U-B-L-E - May 1
It's Now Or Never - April 30
I'll Remember You - May 1
Let Me Be There - May 1
An American Trilogy - May 2
Funny How Time Slips Away - April 30
Help Me Make It Through The Night - May 1
That's All Right - April 30
Can't Help Falling In Love - April 30
Last edited by nrSGE on Sun May 12, 2024 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

Straight Arrow's standards have been lowered several notches.

Good show, but the sound is way below their former standards.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Have listened to: thanks again to FTD for all of these releases!!

August 30, 1974ds - Las Vegas, Nevada - another good show from Elvis. I commented on the other two shows from this release and this show does not disappoint. I really enjoyed the karate monologue as Elvis. You can hear the love and respect he had for the "art" of karate. As I stated above, this season featured a really good and diverse set list and Elvis good vocally.
July 5, 1976 - Memphis, TN = a really good show from Elvis. He was determined to present a good show for his "home-town" fans.
July 2, 1976 - Baton Rouge, LA = this is a really good show! I would almost call it great! Elvis is in such good spirits this evening and in really good voice. He gives solid performances and he sounds very alert. So glad to have this show in soundboard quality.

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

Rob wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 1:40 pm

Straight Arrow's standards have been lowered several notches.

Good show, but the sound is way below their former standards.
I don't know what happened to them. The sound quality on the latest releases is way worse than we're accustomed to, and the artwork is hideous.

nrSGE

Post by nrSGE »

good show 8/10 + good sound! Highlights: If You Love Me (Let Me Know), Polk Salad Annie, T-R-O-U-B-L-E, Fairytale

nrSGE

Post by nrSGE »

51st anniversary; 7/10 - a littble bit to silly for me and concentration is lacking when singing, Highlights: Help Me Make It Through The Night, Steamroller Blues, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Faded Love

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

An oldie but goodie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohanD

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

nrSGE wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:03 pm

51st anniversary; 7/10 - a littble bit to silly for me and concentration is lacking when singing, Highlights: Help Me Make It Through The Night, Steamroller Blues, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Faded Love
I don't know exactly why but 1973 is the least enjoyable concert year for me (or maybe together with 1977). Maybe because for parts of the year Elvis was visibly bored, or maybe because of the setlists. I'd much rather listen to Elvis in any other year.

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

DDFTD.jpg
Disc one, I'm thinking a matrix recording would liven up the lifeless soundboard recording, @elvisalisellers? :)

Mister Mike

Post by Mister Mike »

Early in the season. Elvis and the band are still working things out, so the show is far from being tight.

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

nrSGE

Post by nrSGE »

Very good show, even the Oldies are engaged. 9/10. Elvis must have been pumped because Led Zeppelin was in the audience. The soundboard (speed corrected) is a bit dry but the mix is good. Highlights: I Got A Woman/Amen!, Trying To Get To You, Steamroller Blues (one of my favourite versions, clear and well played sax + good vocals), Fever, Why Me Lord (serious), Suspicious Minds, Let Me Be There