Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Post by c. Richer »

The Definitive Rare Elvis Live Collection CD 2.

I Was pleasantly surprised by this selection containing very strong performances from the King's later period.
" My Boy " is more restrained and poignant than the master.
" Danny Boy " is sung with great conviction. " Promised Land " is probably the best live version I've heard, even " Moody Blue " is well delivered with the aid of a lyric sheet and
" Reconsider Baby " is the best version including MSG that I've heard with Elvis' acoustic high in the mix. An album of highlights not a whole concert.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-eye Member banned for life.fa-eye
fa-exclamation-triangle

A. C. van Kuijk

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

I just finished ONLY BELIEVE - ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. It's a re-release of the midnight show of January 27th 1971 and I have to say that this is a great show.

Elvis is running at full throttle, is very funny and entertaining and presents an up-to-date song selection. Elvis features last year's hits THE WONDER OF YOU and YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME, just like songs from his current albums ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 (SWEET CAROLINE, POLK SALAD ANNIE), THAT'S THE WAY IT IS (YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME, YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELING), ELVIS COUNTRY - I'M 10,000 YEARS OLD (THERE GOES MY EVERYTHING, MAKE THE WORLD GO AWAY) and even the forthcominng LOVE LETTERS FROM ELVIS (ONLY BELIEVE). The fans would also have to wait for THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM (1972) and SOMETHING (1973). The oldies are also done very well, especially LOVE ME is a true gem.

What's quite obvious is, that many songs are played faster now and many are shorter, too. Here and there Elvis is also singing with less care.

But in total he still performed great shows. Very powerful, very entertaining. And he still looked very good and, as 8mm footage reveals, was quite active on stage and wore a lot of rare outfits.

danodj

Post by danodj »

I just finished Las Vegas 03.09.1971 MS (sound bad), great show. It's a sin there aren't soundboards from this season

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

Good show, but some of the dialogue is hard to understand. A little of what I did understand was kind of embarrassing. Especially when telling the audience that he's heard that Kathy doesn't like the way he introduces her. He goes on to say that "If she doesn't like the way I introduce her, she can get off the pot."

I love Elvis' music as much as anyone here and he will always be one of my favorite entertainers. However, there are so many times that I find myself wishing he'd just shut up and sing.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Rob on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:13 am wrote:Image
Arguably, the best show of that season, Rob. A great set list with a nice surprise of "I Just Can't Help Believin." Really great performances especially a show-stopping reprise of "Hurt." A solid "That's All Right" as well. A nice moment when Elvis and Glen Campbell have an exchange during the show.
I know you enjoyed listening to this one.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Rob on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:54 pm wrote:Image

Good show, but some of the dialogue is hard to understand. A little of what I did understand was kind of embarrassing. Especially when telling the audience that he's heard that Kathy doesn't like the way he introduces her. He goes on to say that "If she doesn't like the way I introduce her, she can get off the pot."

I love Elvis' music as much as anyone here and he will always be one of my favorite entertainers. However, there are so many times that I find myself wishing he'd just shut up and sing.
Diana goodman (with elvis at this time) fully reports his behavour from 19th-21st july 75(in her book) and he had an absess on a tooth during that Norfolk show.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

That makes it OK, then.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

YDKM on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 am wrote:
Rob on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:54 pm wrote:Image

Diana goodman (with elvis at this time) fully reports his behavour from 19th-21st july 75(in her book) and he had an absess on a tooth during that Norfolk show.
I won't dismiss Elvis' behaviour at the July 20, 1975 show, but as a public speaker trying to talk and/or sing with a tooth ache, let alone an tooth absess, would have been very uncomfortable. I thought I read in some book that Elvis was upset about comments that Kathy had made or about someone she was dating..., maybe someone else can help my memory on that one.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Rob on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 pm wrote:That makes it OK, then.
Well no it doesn't but might explain why after the toothache was fixed why Elvis started behaving better :roll:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

Elvis had numerous dental problems his last couple years.

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

There were a few bright spots during that last Vegas engagement, and this was one of them.

"I'd like to introduce you to the members of my group on stage who do such a fantastic job of backing me up. You know, they say a man is judged by the people around him. Look at these freaks."

Elvis certainly picked things up a notch or two on this night. A big reason for it had to have been because Roy Orbison and fn2drive were in the audience. Oh, I'm sorry....damn! I mean Roy Orbison and Engelbert Humperdinck were in the audience.

Things headed south the very next night.

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

Rob on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:15 am wrote:Image

There were a few bright spots during that last Vegas engagement, and this was one of them.

"I'd like to introduce you to the members of my group on stage who do such a fantastic job of backing me up. You know, they say a man is judged by the people around him. Look at these freaks."

Elvis certainly picked things up a notch or two on this night. A big reason for it had to have been because Roy Orbison and fn2drive were in the audience. Oh, I'm sorry....damn! I mean Roy Orbison and Engelbert Humperdinck were in the audience.

That damned turned ankle.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

stevelecher on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:21 pm wrote:
Rob on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:15 am wrote:Image

That damned turned ankle.
Didn't I read that Elvis twisted his ankle in the bathroom which made him late for the show on December 7, or was that a show earlier in that season? To Rob's point, the quality of the shows does seem to suffer after this fine performance from December 4.

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

The ankle was the reason given for numerous poor shows commencing on December 5 and thereafter. It's been reported that a show on December 11 was pretty good.

danodj

Post by danodj »

I just finished Lake Tahoe May 7, 1976 ms, great show.

Topic author
Deleted User 15751

Post by Deleted User 15751 »

danodj on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:14 pm wrote:I just finished Lake Tahoe May 7, 1976 ms, great show.
Long show with a good setlist. Also the last live performance of 'I'll Remember You'.

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

Not a "show" in the strict sense, but the NBC special on a later pressing.
He was so good!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohanD

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

StefanKock on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:32 am wrote:
danodj on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:14 pm wrote:I just finished Lake Tahoe May 7, 1976 ms, great show.
Long show with a good setlist. Also the last live performance of 'I'll Remember You'.
I would have loved to have been in the audience for this show. I know you enjoyed listening to this one, danodj.
For the most part, this was a really good and fun season at Lake Tahoe. Elvis was engaged throughout and really trying different songs and given the audience one or two liners of a bunch of "rare" songs as well.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

rlj4ep on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:11 am wrote:
I would have loved to have been in the audience for this show. I know you enjoyed listening to this one, danodj.
For the most part, this was a really good and fun season at Lake Tahoe. Elvis was engaged throughout and really trying different songs and given the audience one or two liners of a bunch of "rare" songs as well.
and this all ended with his longest concert ever on May 9th running for 2 hours straight.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Johnny2523 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:36 pm wrote:
and this all ended with his longest concert ever on May 9th running for 2 hours straight.
Indeed, Johnny. Talk about a show you'd like to be in the audience for, right?
From the shows in Lake Tahoe I manged to hear over the years, Elvis seems more engaged with the audiences and in a "good mood" (I don't know how else to say it). He really seems to be putting forth great effort in Tahoe than those later years in Las Vegas. Now to be sure, maybe that's due to the fact that I have had limited exposure to the Tahoe shows over the years, but the ones I have heard are great show. And I mean all the years in Tahoe, 1971, 1973, 1974 AND 1976.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

rlj4ep on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:42 am wrote:
Johnny2523 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:36 pm wrote:
Indeed, Johnny. Talk about a show you'd like to be in the audience for, right?
From the shows in Lake Tahoe I manged to hear over the years, Elvis seems more engaged with the audiences and in a "good mood" (I don't know how else to say it). He really seems to be putting forth great effort in Tahoe than those later years in Las Vegas. Now to be sure, maybe that's due to the fact that I have had limited exposure to the Tahoe shows over the years, but the ones I have heard are great show. And I mean all the years in Tahoe, 1971, 1973, 1974 AND 1976.
i do have to agree, in almost every one of those years Elvis performed better in tahoe then he did most of the time in Vegas. and also seemed to want to do something different during those particular engagements.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

In Lake Tahoe Elvis was always better than in Vegas the same year. He just enjoyed the intimate atmosphere and beautiful surroundings there. The shows were always something special with many highlights and rarities. He really cared to deliver his best. Its really apity that so lttle is known about 1971 there. Only 3 audience recordings we have. Bute these leave space for dreaming. All was possible there. The set lists were just stunning.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
Deleted User 15751

Post by Deleted User 15751 »

It seems Evis felt more at ease in smaller venues like Tahoe. Regarding the length of the shows it seems Elvis did quite some long ( and his longest) shows in 1976 with lengths ranging between 85-95/100 minutes (Tahoe, Pine Bluff, Vegas) besides the already mentioned 2 hour long May 9th, 1976 Closing Show.

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

This is the show that initiated the decline during this engagement.

After "Hound Dog," he was over it.