Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

LSP-4445

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Post by LSP-4445 »

Played this show yesterday but not the Baxter edition but DAE.....great show and sound for a soundboard recording.
And amazing setlist that day :smt007
I still remember clearly the day in june 1994 when this show arrived in my mailbox,Fort Baxter was on fire during this time.

flamingstar81
Mood:

Post by flamingstar81 »

Speaking of DAE, early this week I listened to 'Old Times They Are Not Forgotten' from Tuscaloosa , Alabama, on August 30th, 1976 ES. I have always been very fond of this show, I think it's one of the best shows from 1976. Elvis his in good, strong voice and a good mood. Highlights for me are good solid versions of See See Rider, If You Love Me, You Gave Me A Mountain, And I Love You So, Jailhouse Rock, America The Beautiful (with reprise), Love Letters, Hurt (with reprise), Mystery Train / Tiger Man.

I also like Elvis' playful introduction to Hound Dog and Kathy Westmoreland singing Heavenly Father, which was requested by Elvis and was greatly appreciated by him, stating "that's hard to follow, know what I mean?".

"The image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image, I'll put it that way"

Elvis at the New York Madison Square Garden press conference, June 9th, 1972.

LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

flamingstar81 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:15 am wrote:Speaking of DAE, early this week I listened to 'Old Times They Are Not Forgotten' from Tuscaloosa , Alabama, on August 30th, 1976 ES. I have always been very fond of this show, I think it's one of the best shows from 1976. Elvis his in good, strong voice and a good mood. Highlights for me are good solid versions of See See Rider, If You Love Me, You Gave Me A Mountain, And I Love You So, Jailhouse Rock, America The Beautiful (with reprise), Love Letters, Hurt (with reprise), Mystery Train / Tiger Man.

I also like Elvis' playful introduction to Hound Dog and Kathy Westmoreland singing Heavenly Father, which was requested by Elvis and was greatly appreciated by him, stating "that's hard to follow, know what I mean?".
Not a fan of this show but this to me is the best sounding soundboard on a elvis concert ever.

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

YDKM on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:44 am wrote::D I have listened for 4 days in a row now to the Superb newly released Vegas show M/S on 20th February 1971.... TOP show goofing around, great singing, great song selection . has EVERYTHING
8) :lol: lovely versions of Just can't help Believing + Just Pretend!~ 8)
Thanks 'Touchdown' productions a Quality release label 8)
I second this. Played it tonight. I didn’t like the goofing around with "Jailhouse Rock" (the listener gets the impression that Elvis doesn’t know the lyrics to one of his biggest hits), but otherwise great show. Probably one of the best from the season.

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

I also played the November 14, 1970, show that was released recently by the same label as the 1971 concert I mentioned above. The 1970 show is better vocally. The concert is strong despite the fact that Elvis jokes around a tad too much.

I hardly ever play audience recordings, but these two come in decent sound quality and are recommended if you want access to two solid shows.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Ken Jensen on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:10 am wrote:I also played the November 14, 1970, show that was released recently by the same label as the 1971 concert I mentioned above. The 1970 show is better vocally. The concert is strong despite the fact that Elvis jokes around a tad too much.

I hardly ever play audience recordings, but these two come in decent sound quality and are recommended if you want access to two solid shows.
Thanks for your Comments Ken :D I don't rave on 'how good' a release is (unless it REALLY IS`! :lol: )
and i do agree the joke trash run through of 'Jailhouse Rock' isn't needed at all but this concert (and he trashes it a 2nd time just b4 'just pretend~!)sums up Elvis Presley by the nick-name "CRAZY!~" :P :roll:
yet at this entire show a good 25% longer than his opening season shows he really DOES DELIVER on good versions of many, many songs.... and with a 'listenable' audio that's why i played this show so much+ how often do you get an earlier season Vegas show unheard b4... almost NEVER :smt005
and i also agree about the LA E/S.... he angrily mouths off a bit about the 'paternity suit' but otherwise much is beautifully sung. Oh and on 20th Feb 71 he is STILL annoyed about the 'paternity suit' as after a 1 liner of 'by the time i get to Pheonix she'll be pregnant'.... Elvis rages TWICE "I DIDN'T DO IT-'I DIDN'T DO IT"...... :roll:
Clearly that 1970 'Paternity suit' bothered Elvis for YEARS as when introducing John O'Grady's new Narco cop book at the 1st Sept 1974 M/S..... he says on page xx their is a statement proving that Paternity suit was a complete utter lie and a hoax`!.... so Elvis's memory was long about that~! :shock: :shock:
Last edited by YDKM on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
Deleted User 15751

Post by Deleted User 15751 »

Even though as my sweet cat Shannon died last thursday it's really quiet in the house (first time in almost 13 years there are no cats or other living things in the house) I enjoyed listening to Elvis's March 20th 1974 Memphis concert from the Legacy release with the enjoyment of a couple cups of coffee.

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

I can only do 16 songs, so I don't have time for Heartbreak Hotel, Heartburn Motel or whatever.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Not a favourite of mine but...Spring Tours 77...ok, not a concert per se but, you know.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D San Diego 24th April 1976 show . Poor acustics in the Arena but a SOLID show from Elvis and very enjoyable to listen too~! :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

rlj4ep on Sat May 05, 2018 7:14 pm wrote:
Johnny2523 on Sat May 05, 2018 6:06 am wrote:My review of the first disc of ''Omaha, Nebraska '74'' Featuring the afternoon show from June 30, 1974.
The CD kicks of into the intro of ''See See Rider'' and after a few seconds Elvis pulls of a energetic version, from the start you can tell this is gonna be a good show after which Elvis says ''Good afternoon, afternoon is that right?'' then goes into the usual welling, and off mic jokingly yell's ''Wait a minute!'', And fools around a bit more, and responds to the audience, whistling saying ''We got a bunch of birds out there?'' followed by a inspired ''I Got A Woman - Amen'' this version features one divebomb, and ends strongly, ''she's good to me yeah yeah yeahhhh turn around!'' ''Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.. gentlemen.. my name is Wayne Newton, we hope you have a good time this afternoon, we're gonna walk around, sing alot of songs, and sweat.. whatever.. so bear with us! and onto a well done ''Love Me'' it is, which includes the joke ''I will beg and steal... steal and beg!'' this version features a strong ending too.

''This next song is a song i really don't feel like doing, i recorded it when i first started singing two years ago, my voice was much higher, so i have to becareful or i injure Charlie! you were late getting on stage werent you Charlie? when you came on stage they thought it was me... shrunk! I'm only kidding.. Charlie is one of my worst.. uhh best friends! iiiii... lord have mercy it's early i just got up, you ever tried to sing when u first get up folks, cobwebs in your throaght?'' which is followed by a strong ''Trying To Get To You'' followed by ''All Shook Up'' which isn't too bad, but you can tell Elvis is just winging it, and starting to lose interest in it by now, ''My first movie was called accident.. nah wild in the.. nah not wild in the country.. what was it? Love Me Tender! I'd like to sing that for you'' followed by a okay version, not much different to for instance 1972 versions, this is then followed by a rushed but again okay-ly done ''Hound Dog''. Then onto ''Fever'' which is well performed but also funny, and you can hear the audience eating it up, with Elvis again noticing a whistler ''There's that bird again!'' ''captain smith and pocahontas.. who ever that was!'' ''Now you've listened to my story... Guercio!''

Elvis saying ''Take it on baby'' means we are off into ''Polk Salad Annie'' Duke Bardwell's bass rather shines here, the balance of this show is pretty good with pounding drums too that often get mud-like on other soundboard recordings, this is a good version, after this Elvis asks J.D and the stamps to sing one of his favourite songs ''we can't move the group, they sing on stage ace!'' Elvis mentions, this is then followed by a well performed ''Why Me Lord'', then it's onto a okay ''Suspicious Minds'' and after this it's time for the introductions which is pretty much straight forward, which is then followed by a good ''I Can't Stop Loving You'' which u can hear glen's piano more prominent then usual, which makes for a nice change, this version features a strong ending, this is then followed by a beautiful performance of ''Help Me'' with just the right amount of sherrill mixed in, after this Elvis goes into ''An American Trilogy'' which is a good version actually, save for Elvis including the ''Disneyland'' Line. Onto ''Let Me Be There'' which is a great version, i like that the bass and drums come out so well, no reprise this afternoon thou,

''I'd like to turn the house lights up and take a look at you, weird building man!, Hey john, since you work so hard i thought you might need some water'' Elvis jokes Elvis then says ''I'll be there a-hi-hi'' referencing the song he recorded in 1969, Elvis then gets asked for a scarf ''I only got one, nah, honey you can have the scarf, but you can't have the pants leg, i got a guy backstage just making them!'' and off into a well performed ''Funny How Time Slips Away'' and Elvis noting ''turn the lights down'' and during the last line ''see how funny it is ronnie?'' ''i'd like to do the last line of that song again, listen to our bass singer, he goes down to uhh.. something, i don't know where he goes but it's out of sight'' and thus the song gets a reprise ''don't get nervous J.D, because you know how you get when you get nervous.. you start singing higher....i told them to clean this suit last week, they cleaned it with gasoline!'' Elvis jokes. Onto ''Big Boss Man'' which is a great version with pounding drums ''You got me working boss man, wrong one.. working round the clock.. there ya go'' Elvis sings, ''That's Alll'' Elvis does in a low voice after the song has finished. Then it's onto a rockin' ''Steamroller Blues'', Duke Bardwell's bass playing comes out nicely on this version, i really like this version. ''Uh.. i like to tell you that you been a good audience and it's been a pleasure working for you, we be back here tonight ladies and gentlemen, and until we see you, becareful driving home we bid you with a affectionate farewell'' and so we end the show with ''Can't Help Falling In Love'' which is pretty well sung.

I enjoyed the first show of this package, what i mainly love about it is that Elvis is in a fun mood this afternoon, while also singing well, and the sound quality is pretty good too.
Photo's are taken from June/July '74
Wow, great review Johnny!! Thanks very much. Now I am really looking forward to getting my copy.

Thanks also for the outstanding pictures you posted with your review.

rlj
I just listened to this and wondered what show Johnny heard. OMG. Elvis sings so lazily all the way through. He couldn't be bothered to try anywhere. One of the worst Trilogy's ever and it might be the earliest show I've heard him not try on Let Me Be There, if that makes sense. I found I could hardly keep from skipping track after track to hear something he wanted to try on.

The evening show, and the July 1 show we got sometime ago, are both quite a bit better. Still, I'm amazed at how highly regarded so many of these 1974 shows are. He always holds so much back in all of them.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Listened to ''The First Time Ever I Lay With You'' the newest E.P Collectors CD featuring the concert performed on April 24, 1976 in San Diego, CA
scan by johnny2523

The cd kicks of with the usual ''Also Sprach Zarathustra'' the arena goes wild as Elvis enters the stage. Elvis then kicks off ''See See Rider'' which is a strong version and Elvis appears to be in strong voice, it also features a great solo by James Burton. Then it's time for Elvis his usual welling before performing a well performed version of ''I Got A Woman / Amen'' Elvis seems to be enjoying this version and performs it strongly. Elvis then mentions J.D is the lowest bass singer in the world and he can do better then that, thus we get two divebombs, to the applause of the audience. Funny thing happens where Elvis this time introduces himself as himself and not as Wayne Newton for example. ''Good Evening ladies and gentlemen, i'm Elvis Presley, i dont know who you are!'' after this Elvis interacts a little more with the audience, before doing a nice version on ''Love Me'' and has a strong ending. Then it's onto ''If You Love Me Let Me Know'' which features a very strong vocal by Elvis, and lovely guitar playing by James. After some dialogue Elvis goes into a strong version of ''You Gave Me A Mountain''.

Then we get a trowaway ''All Shook Up''. However ''Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel'' isn't to bad and not rushed either, it's rather similar to the May/June 1975 performances, Elvis also doesn't fool around too much with the audience as he keeps on singing. Elvis then goes into a fantastic ''Trying To Get To You'' with his voice soaring through the arena. Elvis then mentions it's ''our bicentennial year'' and says he'd like to do ''America The Beautiful'' because of that, which is a great version. And with no introduction it's straight into a rocking ''Polk Salad Annie''.

Then it's onto the introductions of his band & backup singers. James performs some great guitar on the short version of ''What'd I Say'' the other solo's are great too. Notably is David Briggs (Or as Elvis calls him Crazy David Briggs) his electric solo being the melody of ''Jingle Bells''. A fun ''School Day'' ends the introductions, and then it's onto a great version of ''Hurt'' which is beautifully performed and Elvis goes all out and changing up the tone on the very last ''No not you'' and the audience reacts with a big applause. Onto a great ''And I Love You So'' which is beautifully performed. After this Elvis mentions ''I'd like to do a song.. The first time ever i saw your face'' and so we get into a rare (for the time) ''The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face'' which is a beautiful performance and in many ways resembles the version performed in Birmingham on December 29 of the same year.

After this Elvis calls out for ''Burning Love'' to thunderous applause of the audience when he sings the first line, Elvis messes up the lines a little bit in the beginning, but it's a very strong version. Sadley there's a skip in the recording ''Please won't you help me'' skips to ''and you light my mornin' sky''. This is sadley not noted anywhere in the booklet or digipack. After this Elvis does ''How Great Thou Art'' which is a very strong version! Elvis is in great voice, and while i love this version, i have to admit the band/backup voices & orchestra get lost a bit on the ending, they're not following Elvis, but this does not take away from Elvis giving the song his all. Elvis then thanks the audience, tells them that they're fantastic, and assures them the show aint over yet, he then asks for the houselights to be turned up. Then ''Funny How Time Slips Away'' starts but Elvis forgot for a second how the song started, so he re-starts it, this time in success, and performs a good and non-rushed version, this one has a reprise as well. After this it's into a well performed and fun version of ''Little Darlin''' there is however some microphone overload on the recorder it seems. Elvis then mentions that he'd like to do one of his favourite records ''It's Now Or Never'' and it's a solid version with Elvis in strong voice. Elvis then thanks the audience and performs his last song of this night ''Can't Help Falling In Love'' which is performed nicely and ends the song very strongly goin up real high. And that ends this show.

All in all this is a really nice release with a very strong performance by Elvis. There's no weak spot really (outside of ''All Shook Up''), not in my opinion atleast. The sound is a bit distant but rather good, only trouble i had sometimes was understanding the dialogue. The photo's i used here are from the actual performance.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Johnny2523 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 pm wrote:Listened to ''The First Time Ever I Lay With You'' the newest E.P Collectors CD featuring the concert performed on April 24, 1976 in San Diego, CA
scan by johnny2523

The cd kicks of with the usual ''Also Sprach Zarathustra'' the arena goes wild as Elvis enters the stage. Elvis then kicks off ''See See Rider'' which is a strong version and Elvis appears to be in strong voice, it also features a great solo by James Burton. Then it's time for Elvis his usual welling before performing a well performed version of ''I Got A Woman / Amen'' Elvis seems to be enjoying this version and performs it strongly. Elvis then mentions J.D is the lowest bass singer in the world and he can do better then that, thus we get two divebombs, to the applause of the audience. Funny thing happens where Elvis this time introduces himself as himself and not as Wayne Newton for example. ''Good Evening ladies and gentlemen, i'm Elvis Presley, i dont know who you are!'' after this Elvis interacts a little more with the audience, before doing a nice version on ''Love Me'' and has a strong ending. Then it's onto ''If You Love Me Let Me Know'' which features a very strong vocal by Elvis, and lovely guitar playing by James. After some dialogue Elvis goes into a strong version of ''You Gave Me A Mountain''.

Then we get a trowaway ''All Shook Up''. However ''Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel'' isn't to bad and not rushed either, it's rather similar to the May/June 1975 performances, Elvis also doesn't fool around too much with the audience as he keeps on singing. Elvis then goes into a fantastic ''Trying To Get To You'' with his voice soaring through the arena. Elvis then mentions it's ''our bicentennial year'' and says he'd like to do ''America The Beautiful'' because of that, which is a great version. And with no introduction it's straight into a rocking ''Polk Salad Annie''.

Then it's onto the introductions of his band & backup singers. James performs some great guitar on the short version of ''What'd I Say'' the other solo's are great too. Notably is David Briggs (Or as Elvis calls him Crazy David Briggs) his electric solo being the melody of ''Jingle Bells''. A fun ''School Day'' ends the introductions, and then it's onto a great version of ''Hurt'' which is beautifully performed and Elvis goes all out and changing up the tone on the very last ''No not you'' and the audience reacts with a big applause. Onto a great ''And I Love You So'' which is beautifully performed. After this Elvis mentions ''I'd like to do a song.. The first time ever i saw your face'' and so we get into a rare (for the time) ''The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face'' which is a beautiful performance and in many ways resembles the version performed in Birmingham on December 29 of the same year.

After this Elvis calls out for ''Burning Love'' to thunderous applause of the audience when he sings the first line, Elvis messes up the lines a little bit in the beginning, but it's a very strong version. Sadley there's a skip in the recording ''Please won't you help me'' skips to ''and you light my mornin' sky''. This is sadley not noted anywhere in the booklet or digipack. After this Elvis does ''How Great Thou Art'' which is a very strong version! Elvis is in great voice, and while i love this version, i have to admit the band/backup voices & orchestra get lost a bit on the ending, they're not following Elvis, but this does not take away from Elvis giving the song his all. Elvis then thanks the audience, tells them that they're fantastic, and assures them the show aint over yet, he then asks for the houselights to be turned up. Then ''Funny How Time Slips Away'' starts but Elvis forgot for a second how the song started, so he re-starts it, this time in success, and performs a good and non-rushed version, this one has a reprise as well. After this it's into a well performed and fun version of ''Little Darlin''' there is however some microphone overload on the recorder it seems. Elvis then mentions that he'd like to do one of his favourite records ''It's Now Or Never'' and it's a solid version with Elvis in strong voice. Elvis then thanks the audience and performs his last song of this night ''Can't Help Falling In Love'' which is performed nicely and ends the song very strongly goin up real high. And that ends this show.

All in all this is a really nice release with a very strong performance by Elvis. There's no weak spot really (outside of ''All Shook Up''), not in my opinion atleast. The sound is a bit distant but rather good, only trouble i had sometimes was understanding the dialogue. The photo's i used here are from the actual performance.
Thanks Johnny for another nice review of this show. It sounds like it would have been great to be in the audience that Spring evening
in San Diego.

rlj

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

Good show, nice bonus songs and a sound that is excellent good for an AR in a big building.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohanD

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

The last one I listened to was the June 10, 1975 ES in Memphis at Mid-South Coliseum. I'm not good at all at writing reviews so I'll just say that I enjoyed it better than I thought I would considering that the June/July, 1975 tour was one where concert-goers saw an "up & down" Elvis.....and an Elvis who you weren't sure what mood he'd be in when he hit the stage (yes, I'm referring to the incidents of him insulting Kathy Westmoreland & Sylvia Shemwell & Estelle Brown of The Sweet Inspirations).

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

Tony Trout on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:18 am wrote:The last one I listened to was the June 10, 1975 ES in Memphis at Mid-South Coliseum. I'm not good at all at writing reviews so I'll just say that I enjoyed it better than I thought I would considering that the June/July, 1975 tour was one where concert-goers saw an "up & down" Elvis.....and an Elvis who you weren't sure what mood he'd be in when he hit the stage (yes, I'm referring to the incidents of him insulting Kathy Westmoreland & Sylvia Shemwell & Estelle Brown of The Sweet Inspirations).
Elvis performed only one show in his hometown in 1975, not two, like you suggest. It was the last stop on his May/June tour. You seem to be mixing this tour up with the July tour that followed one month later.

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

All covers were taken from here: http://www.epg-ev.de/live.html

I have said that this season is underwhelming due to the setlist, and in my opinion it's true, but Elvis is definately at the top of his game. He gives us solid versions of the "oldies", but he also gives a brilliant perfromance of Reconsider Baby, it is either as good as the studio master or better. I did remaster this show and edited the 10 minute talk out, which is what I listened to.
Sample: https://instaud.io/2u6f

It's a shame Elvis could do more new material, because Rubberneckin' and This Is The Story left me wanting more, I would have loved if Elvis had done a live version of Gentle On My Mind (among many others). Anyways, after listening to these 1969 shows, I've warmed up to the season, though to me is still abit underwhelming. This show also received a similar treatment as the one above.
Sample: https://instaud.io/2u6e

This is my third favorite Vegas season (after the Jan/Feb 1970 and Aug/Sept 1972 seasons). I can listen to this is disc three or four times in a row without getting bored, Elvis is fully engaged through out and re-energized, the setlist is also great and one that I enjoy very much. I would love more from this season, a soundboard on disc one and maybe one of the "Booth tapes" on disc two.

I don't need to say much about these shows or this tour. Besides, it's my favorite tour, and if we don't get much from the 1969-1973 period I would like FTD to eventually release the remaining shows they have from this glorious tour. I've also speed corrected my files and remastered them, I mainly needed to add bass because it lacked alot, it now sounds closer to a reel to reel recording and closer to the Hometown Shows disc one recording.
Disc one sample: https://instaud.io/2u7G
Disc two Sample: https://instaud.io/2u7H

Disc one includes a strong setlist and great performance, although I would have liked if You Can Have Her was added to the setlist, if wasn't going to be recorded in the studio. Unfortunately, both the shows in the set are running a little slow (2.5%), but this doesn't take away from the perfromance that Elvis gives.

For some weird reason I prefer the Florida shows to the Atlanta shows (with in this tour), I feel that Elvis is alot more comfortable during the Florida shows compared to the Atlanta shows, though the Atlanta shows are still performed well. Anyways, this is a nice release, the disc is packed and what is on the disc is well thought out, although I would have a second disc including two more shows, I think there would have been just enough space.

When this came out, I was rather excited by the fact that there two new soundboards from this tour, but it was a little disappointing after listening to them. However, a while back I gave these shows a chance and liked them alot more than I did when I first heard them, the San Francisco show has become a favorite (for the year). Also, getting rid of the left channel (which includes the piano) made it a even better experience. I think these shows are running a little slow, again 2.5%, maybe it has to do with how these shows were recorded? Hopefully Ernst comes back to this tour and does the right thing, releasing the Eugene shows.
Disc one Sample: https://instaud.io/2u7Q
Disc two sample: https://instaud.io/2u7R
Last edited by Elvis2000 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

Ken Jensen on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 am wrote:
Tony Trout on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:18 am wrote:The last one I listened to was the June 10, 1975 ES in Memphis at Mid-South Coliseum. I'm not good at all at writing reviews so I'll just say that I enjoyed it better than I thought I would considering that the May/June, 1975 tour was one where concert-goers saw an "up & down" Elvis.....and an Elvis who you weren't sure what mood he'd be in when he hit the stage (yes, I'm referring to the incidents of him insulting Kathy Westmoreland & Sylvia Shemwell & Estelle Brown of The Sweet Inspirations).
Elvis performed only one show in his hometown in 1975, not two, like you suggest. It was the last stop on his May/June tour. You seem to be mixing this tour up with the July tour that followed one month later.

Stop putting words in my mouth, Ken. Nowhere in my post do I see that I suggested that Elvis did two shows in Memphis. I simply said, "The June 10, 1975 ES" EVENING SHOW! Not "shows"......pay attention!!!!! And I was not getting the performance mixed up with the previous month's tour, either.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

Tony Trout on Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:18 pm wrote:
Ken Jensen on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 am wrote:
Tony Trout on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:18 am wrote:The last one I listened to was the June 10, 1975 ES in Memphis at Mid-South Coliseum. I'm not good at all at writing reviews so I'll just say that I enjoyed it better than I thought I would considering that the May/June, 1975 tour was one where concert-goers saw an "up & down" Elvis.....and an Elvis who you weren't sure what mood he'd be in when he hit the stage (yes, I'm referring to the incidents of him insulting Kathy Westmoreland & Sylvia Shemwell & Estelle Brown of The Sweet Inspirations).

Stop putting words in my mouth, Ken. Nowhere in my post do I see that I suggested that Elvis did two shows in Memphis. I simply said, "The June 10, 1975 ES" EVENING SHOW! Not "shows"......pay attention!!!!! And I was not getting the performance mixed up with the previous month's tour, either.
AS or ES is used if there was another show performed that day.
And it seems that you've fixed your mistake on the May/June issue in your reply, your original post still says June/July. Also, Elvis insulting the Sweets and kathy happend during the June/July tour, not the tour before. You made a small mistake (which is fine, it's a part of life after all) and Ken was pointing it out, no need to be annoyed.

Hans

Post by Hans »

Elvis2000 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 pm wrote:
Tony Trout on Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:18 pm wrote: AS or ES is used if there was another show performed that day.

I'm sorting out my concerts and I see the addition to a showdate like AS or ES as very usefull if you want to know what time a show took place. You know there also were days only matinee shows were given.

Makaveli

Post by Makaveli »

Spirit Of Jackson, MS - FTD
CD 1
September 05, 1976

A. C. van Kuijk

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

The last concert I listend to was the dinner show from August 31, 1973. It was recorded with two microphones installed at the sound booth, where the engineers were placed.

Elvis performs a little over 50 minutes and does his standard show. There are many highlights, especially the "big" songs like BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER, MY BOY and AN AMERICAN TRILOGY. Unfortunately the recording stops a minute into THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE and starts again at the reprise of HOW GREAT THOU ART. So there are two highlights that are somewhat lost.

Other good performances are STEAMROLLER BLUES, TROUBLE and A BIG HUNK O' LOVE. The latter one was a little rushed, I like the earlier live versions better.

In total it's not one of the really great shows, but nevertheless a solid one. Elvis appears to be in fine voice and the selection of songs is very good.

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

Blast from the boot-past.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohanD

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

I played From the Beginning to the End from September 1970 earlier this week and was surprised that the sound quality was decent. Two great shows.

flamingstar81
Mood:

Post by flamingstar81 »

JohanD on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:53 am wrote:Blast from the boot-past.
Very nice record set Johan, and what a brilliant concert that one was!

"The image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image, I'll put it that way"

Elvis at the New York Madison Square Garden press conference, June 9th, 1972.