Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

poormadpeter2

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Domino on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:13 am wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:12 pm wrote:As BOTH sides of a single have labels on a jukebox, the reason for the two titles being together is obvious.

THAT'S ALL RIGHT (which we can't see in the pic)
BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY (which we can see in the pic)
TIGER MAN.

As with many jukeboxes, the A-sides are in alphabetical order.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

Sometimes people will distort just about any evidence for it to fit their conclusion. But that's the problem with coming up with the conclusion before you find any evidence.
So why Tigerman then.Out of all the songs they could pick that Elvis did do or definitely didn't do,they pick a song that is unclear that he did or didn't ? We know he knew the song from 68 on and most certainly knew it in 53/54 and we have audio proof of him talking about doing it and knowing about it in 53/54 but no paperwork or recording of it.
Out of all the songs to pick,why that one to put in plain view ?
I have to answer that? Really?

It is a jukebox of songs recorded at Sun, Look at the entire picture - this shows us that. Again, Tiger Man is merely the next song in alphabetical order after That's all Right. It's simple.
ETS - Inside 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Domino »

poormadpeter2 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:12 pm wrote:As BOTH sides of a single have labels on a jukebox, the reason for the two titles being together is obvious.

TIGER MAN.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

Sometimes people will distort just about any evidence for it to fit their conclusion. But that's the problem with coming up with the conclusion before you find any evidence.
So why Tigerman then.Out of all the songs they could pick that Elvis did do or definitely didn't do,they pick a song that is unclear that he did or didn't ? We know he knew the song from 68 on and most certainly knew it in 53/54 and we have audio proof of him talking about doing it and knowing about it in 53/54 but no paperwork or recording of it.

It is a jukebox of songs recorded at Sun, Look at the entire picture - this shows us that. Again, Tiger Man is merely the next song in alphabetical order after That's all Right. It's simple.
ETS - Inside 1.JPG
Seems to me they had a choice between the song above and the song below .If Tigerman meant nothing in 1954 except for a bunch of squabbling on here then they could have picked the song above that meant nothing but we all know here that Tigerman was a recurring song in Elvis's whole career.
I'd say that possibly Thom Zimny,who we know had full access to the music catalogue heard Elvis's repeated mentioning's of recording Tigerman at Sun and maybe Thom Zimny isn't dismissing it so quickly as do some on here.
I find it very interesting that Elvis's first Sun record and Rufus Thomas's first Sun record when placed on a jukebox can appear like it's Elvis's second record.You notice how there is a very slim bit of Rufus's name visible.
You make this out to be something no thought was put into.I'd say they put a lot of thought into this documentary and everything associated with it right down to where to crop a picture .

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

This sums this nonsense up quite nicely.....listen carefully what he says..

Second second record

This is MY go-to second record... :lol:

What is yours..?... :wink:

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Domino on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:19 am wrote:Seems to me they had a choice between the song above and the song below .If Tigerman meant nothing in 1954 except for a bunch of squabbling on here then they could have picked the song above that meant nothing but we all know here that Tigerman was a recurring song in Elvis's whole career.

I'd say that possibly Thom Zimny,who we know had full access to the music catalogue heard Elvis's repeated mentioning's of recording Tigerman at Sun and maybe Thom Zimny isn't dismissing it so quickly as do some on here.

I find it very interesting that Elvis's first Sun record and Rufus Thomas's first Sun record when placed on a jukebox can appear like it's Elvis's second record.You notice how there is a very slim bit of Rufus's name visible.

You make this out to be something no thought was put into.I'd say they put a lot of thought into this documentary and everything associated with it right down to where to crop a picture .
You are spot-on.

The placement by HBO of "Tiger Man" right after "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is thoughtful, not happenstance. One imagines the entire documentary is just as thoughtful. Reading the suggestion that the juxtaposition was "alphabetical" is laughable, and supremely misguided. It indicates an opinion meant to create chaos, not rational discussion.

Do note that Sun 188 was Rufus Thomas, Jr.'s second Sun single:

SUN 181 Rufus HOUND DOG Thomas, Jr.
Bear Cat (The Answer To Hound Dog) / Walkin' In The Rain (March 1953)

SUN 188 Rufus Thomas, Jr.
Tiger Man (King of The Jungle) / Save That Money (July 1953)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Domino on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:19 pm wrote:

TIGER MAN.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

ETS - Inside 1.JPG
Seems to me they had a choice between the song above and the song below .If Tigerman meant nothing in 1954 except for a bunch of squabbling on here then they could have picked the song above that meant nothing but we all know here that Tigerman was a recurring song in Elvis's whole career.
Yes, thought was put into it. In a jukebox of Sun records, Tiger Man by Rufus would follow That's all Right by Elvis. There is nothing more to read into this, except alphabetical order. That is what they thought about - WHAT WOULD A JUKEBOX OF SUN RECORDS REALLY LOOK LIKE.

I very much doubt that Thom Zimny had the time or inclination to sit there listening to night after night of TTWII recordings. And, if by some bizarre chance he heard that intro, he would have said to Ernst "what's this about Tiger Man being his second record?" and Ernst would have said "he was talking crap. I researched Sun for ten years and found diddly squat to support that suggestion."

Domino

Post by Domino »

Ciscoking on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 pm wrote:This sums this nonsense up quite nicely.....listen carefully what he says..

Second second record

This is MY go-to second record... :lol:

What is yours..?... :wink:
Mine's the half dozen or more other recordings where he DIDN'T say 1912.So are we saying he didn't record Are You Lonesome Tonight because he said he recorded it in 1927 ?

ImageImage

Yvosus
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Yvosus »

I feel the Doc and Domino are right: I do think this has been done on purpose. There is a secret bound being made between these two records. I think we may find out why in the Zimny film. Rufus covered Hound dog in a way so that would be wonderful so to imagine Elvis covered Rufus! Like Lavern did respond to Elvis' Little Sister.

Envoyé de mon FEVER en utilisant Tapatalk

Yvosus

Post by Yvosus »

As a kind of tribute to Rufus Thomas paying hommage.

Domino

Post by Domino »

poormadpeter2 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 pm wrote:

TIGER MAN.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

ETS - Inside 1.JPG
Yes, thought was put into it. In a jukebox of Sun records, Tiger Man by Rufus would follow That's all Right by Elvis. There is nothing more to read into this, except alphabetical order. That is what they thought about - WHAT WOULD A JUKEBOX OF SUN RECORDS REALLY LOOK LIKE.

I very much doubt that Thom Zimny had the time or inclination to sit there listening to night after night of TTWII recordings. And, if by some bizarre chance he heard that intro, he would have said to Ernst "what's this about Tiger Man being his second record?" and Ernst would have said "he was talking crap. I researched Sun for ten years and found diddly squat to support that suggestion."
So basically your guessing and putting your words in Ernst's mouth.
And you know how much time he spent on searching for the soundtrack too ? Your one busy fly.
I'd bet he has heard a thimble full of Elvis's recorded history before he got the job compared to most here.How is he going to search for what he wants if he doesn't hear lot's he hasn't heard before ?
That would be a poor research technique.It's obvious by his choices that he didn't just listen to a greatest hits package.He's got alternate takes and home recordings.
I read that they had over 8000 stills and spent months going through them and the archives.The recordings would be far less then 8000.I'm sure they listened to a few hundred to get the right music that told the best story .

That might to you look like I'm doing a lot of guessing but you as a book researcher must know that you sift through far more then you use.

ImageImage

Domino

Post by Domino »

drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 pm wrote:
Domino on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:19 am wrote:Seems to me they had a choice between the song above and the song below .If Tigerman meant nothing in 1954 except for a bunch of squabbling on here then they could have picked the song above that meant nothing but we all know here that Tigerman was a recurring song in Elvis's whole career.

You are spot-on.

The placement by HBO of "Tiger Man" right after "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is thoughtful, not happenstance. One imagines the entire documentary is just as thoughtful. Reading the suggestion that the juxtaposition was "alphabetical" is laughable, and supremely misguided. It indicates an opinion meant to create chaos, not rational discussion.

Do note that Sun 188 was Rufus Thomas, Jr.'s second Sun single:

SUN 181 Rufus HOUND DOG Thomas, Jr.
Bear Cat (The Answer To Hound Dog) / Walkin' In The Rain (March 1953)

SUN 188 Rufus Thomas, Jr.
Tiger Man (King of The Jungle) / Save That Money (July 1953)

Now I should have caught that mistake before I typed it.

ImageImage

goldbelt
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by goldbelt »

As for the jukebox photo in The Searcher release, if there were anything to be read into that beyond the fact that Elvis returned to records he was familliar with from the early SUN days later in his career - at the very least there would be A VERSION of Tiger Man on at least one of the 3 discs - there isn't.

As it is, it's rather conspicuous by it's absence considering some of the inclusions on disc 3.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Domino on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 pm wrote:Mine's the half dozen or more other recordings where he DIDN'T say 1912.So are we saying he didn't record Are You Lonesome Tonight because he said he recorded it in 1927 ?
As others have said, it is abundantly clear that there is enough evidence for the possibility that Elvis recorded "Tiger Man" at Sun Studios. There's no way one can deny this.

Yvosus on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:28 pm wrote:I feel the Doc and Domino are right: I do think this has been done on purpose. There is a secret bond being made between these two records. I think we may find out why in the Zimny film. Rufus covered Hound dog in a way so that would be wonderful so to imagine Elvis covered Rufus Like Lavern did respond to Elvis' Little Sister.
Well, I don't think a 1954 Sun recording would have been made as an "answer" record, like the Thomas and Baker examples. It would have been in the vein of how he handled his other r&b material at the time. In fact, we may have an idea of how his version of "Tiger Man" might have sounded at Sun: the live, small combo recording with Scotty and D.J. done in June 1968. And we also have a terrific rehearsal of it from a few days earlier.

Elvis Presley "Tiger Man (King of The Jungle)" (NBC Burbank, Tuesday, June 25, 1968)
Stunning dressing room rehearsal captured by NBC-TV director Steve Binder.

And what else did Elvis jam on during this same dressing room recording? "Blue Moon of Kentucky"!

Elvis Presley "Blue Moon of Kentucky" (NBC Burbank, Tuesday, June 25, 1968)
From a dressing room rehearsal taped by NBC-TV director Steve Binder.

Elvis never let go of "Tiger Man," even running through a funky version during his March 1975 recording sessions at RCA Hollywood. It is a significant song, and the HBO documentary makes a point of noting that, which is yet another reason to be very excited about the project.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Domino on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 pm wrote:

TIGER MAN.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

ETS - Inside 1.JPG

So basically your guessing and putting your words in Ernst's mouth.
And you know how much time he spent on searching for the soundtrack too ? Your one busy fly.
I'd bet he has heard a thimble full of Elvis's recorded history before he got the job compared to most here.How is he going to search for what he wants if he doesn't hear lot's he hasn't heard before ?
That would be a poor research technique.It's obvious by his choices that he didn't just listen to a greatest hits package.He's got alternate takes and home recordings.
I read that they had over 8000 stills and spent months going through them and the archives.The recordings would be far less then 8000.I'm sure they listened to a few hundred to get the right music that told the best story .

That might to you look like I'm doing a lot of guessing but you as a book researcher must know that you sift through far more then you use.
Nobody said he listened to no more than a greatest hits package, but even if he listened to every master and outtake thats been released, do you really think he would be listening to SIX audience recordings from a season in 1970 when RCA had professionally recorded a batch of them? That would be downright ridiculous. And the suggestion he would do that is ridiculous.

As Goldbelt points out, if Tiger Man has any significance in the TV special, where is it on the soundtrack? NOWHERE.

Yvosus

Post by Yvosus »

May be as there seems to be a strong focus of Elvis digging the black man music in Beale street and all the big influences he nourished himself with coming from people he admired: surely Rufus Thomas' tiger man must be mentioned.So may be later on in the documentary when dealing with Elvis comeback in 68 and in his first Vegas engagements, they must have underlined the fact he then found his way home musically by returning to his musical roots. So performing Tiger man on stage was a part of that. The core of Elvis musical vision going back and forth with his early influences, exploring his musical landscape.

goldbelt
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by goldbelt »

poormadpeter2 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 pm wrote:
As Goldbelt points out, if Tiger Man has any significance in the TV special, where is it on the soundtrack? NOWHERE.

If anything, Tiger Man is conspicuous by it's absence.

And consider Wooden Heart appears on the three disc set TWICE.

For anyone who has The Searcher set, does the jukebox photo or Tiger Man get a mention in the liner notes?

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Re: Elvis Recorded

Yvosus on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 pm wrote:May be as there seems to be a strong focus of Elvis digging the black man music in Beale street and all the big influences he nourished himself with coming from people he admired: surely Rufus Thomas' tiger man must be mentioned.So may be later on in the documentary when dealing with Elvis comeback in 68 and in his first Vegas engagements, they must have underlined the fact he then found his way home musically by returning to his musical roots. So performing Tiger man on stage was a part of that. The core of Elvis musical vision going back and forth with his early influences, exploring his musical landscape.
Yup. "Tiger Man" is a thread that connects Presley's career from the Sun era through the 1960s and into the 1970s. There few others you can say that about, but two that come to mind are also 1950s r&b numbers: "Tryin' to Get to You" and "I Got A Woman." And, like "Tiger Man," perhaps his finest renditions of these were done in June 1968 at NBC Burbank.

The connections are obvious, and one suspects the HBO film will be making quite a lot of them. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm wrote:
Yvosus on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 pm wrote:May be as there seems to be a strong focus of Elvis digging the black man music in Beale street and all the big influences he nourished himself with coming from people he admired: surely Rufus Thomas' tiger man must be mentioned.So may be later on in the documentary when dealing with Elvis comeback in 68 and in his first Vegas engagements, they must have underlined the fact he then found his way home musically by returning to his musical roots. So performing Tiger man on stage was a part of that. The core of Elvis musical vision going back and forth with his early influences, exploring his musical landscape.
Yup. "Tiger Man" is a thread that connects Presley's career from the Sun era through the 1960s and into the 1970s. There few others you can say that about, but two that come to mind are also 1950s r&b numbers: "Tryin' to Get to You" and "I Got A Woman." And, like "Tiger Man," perhaps his finest renditions of these were done in June 1968 at NBC Burbank.

The connections are obvious, and one suspects the HBO film will be making quite a lot of them. ;-)
Which is why it's not on the soundtrack, then?

Yvosus

Post by Yvosus »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm wrote:

Be patient next saturday we will have the answer. Well, I hope... Image

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Yvosus on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:35 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm wrote:Yup. "Tiger Man" is a thread that connects Presley's career from the Sun era through the 1960s and into the 1970s. There few others you can say that about, but two that come to mind are also 1950s r&b numbers: "Tryin' to Get to You" and "I Got A Woman." And, like "Tiger Man," perhaps his finest renditions of these were done in June 1968 at NBC Burbank.

Be patient next saturday we will have the answer. Well, I hope... Image
You will notice that none of the three r&b songs that weave a thread throughout the Presley career are featured on the HBO soundtrack discs. That does not diminish their importance a whit. And while I'd love to see an overt reference to "Tiger Man" in reference to Presley's career beginnings, I do not expect one.

The HBO film will be covering a lot of important ground, and the reference we see in the booklet for The Searcher may be meant for fans like us, who know better. The whole point, which of course a few have to piss on because they cannot do anything else, is that the Sun connection to Elvis and "Tiger Man" is being referenced, and it is exciting to see on a mainstream, historical Elvis Presley release.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:33 pm wrote:
Domino on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 pm wrote:Mine's the half dozen or more other recordings where he DIDN'T say 1912.So are we saying he didn't record Are You Lonesome Tonight because he said he recorded it in 1927 ?
As others have said, it is abundantly clear that there is enough evidence for the possibility that Elvis recorded "Tiger Man" at Sun Studios. There's no way one can deny this.

It is best to ignore this troll. He has posted that link before on this very topic, and elsewhere, and he's so obsessed with this he brings it up out of the blue in other topics.

He's never gotten over the fact that it was my analysis of Elvis audience tapes from August 1970 that brought all of this into sharp focus, despite the fact that his life is devoted to listening to and collecting as many fan-recorded concerts as possible. So he harasses any discussion of it. And we are talking about over seven years of this behavior. It is, frankly, pathetic behavior from a grown man.

Yvosus on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:28 pm wrote:I feel the Doc and Domino are right: I do think this has been done on purpose. There is a secret bond being made between these two records. I think we may find out why in the Zimny film. Rufus covered Hound dog in a way so that would be wonderful so to imagine Elvis covered Rufus Like Lavern did respond to Elvis' Little Sister.
Well, I don't think a 1954 Sun recording would have been made as an "answer" record, like the Thomas and Baker examples. It would have been in the vein of how he handled his other r&b material at the time. In fact, we may have an idea of how his version of "Tiger Man" might have sounded at Sun: the live, small combo recording with Scotty and D.J. done in June 1968. And we also have a terrific rehearsal of it from a few days earlier.

Elvis Presley "Tiger Man (King of The Jungle)" (NBC Burbank, Tuesday, June 25, 1968)
Stunning dressing room rehearsal captured by NBC-TV director Steve Binder.

And what else did Elvis jam on during this same dressing room recording? "Blue Moon of Kentucky"!

Elvis Presley "Blue Moon of Kentucky" (NBC Burbank, Tuesday, June 25, 1968)
From a dressing room rehearsal taped by NBC-TV director Steve Binder.

Elvis never let go of "Tiger Man," even running through a funky version during his March 1975 recording sessions at RCA Hollywood. It is a significant song, and the HBO documentary makes a point of noting that, which is yet another reason to be very excited about the project.
It along with Baby What You Want Me To Do are the stand out surprises from 1968. Elvis at his best on these and Tiger Man should be counted as one of his absolute best recordings ever. We are to believe it appears here like magic. Just don’t buy it. And good God his guitar playing may not have been technical perfection but he squeezes more soul out of it than anyone had a right to expect.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

The definite proof that Mystery Train was his second record is here. Please listen carefully what Elvis is saying...."my second record.....Mystery Train". He says it in a serious way without joking like he did in 1970 with roaring tiger comments, No, he means it. And since Mystery Train always was the first part of the medley this is another strong proof.Tiger Man is just a "tag"

Listen carefully..

Second second record

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Domino

Post by Domino »

And around we go again.
Unless anyone here was there then no one can say Tigerman wasn't considered to be a second record .Even for the time it took to put it on tape once and hit play back.
Who knows how many songs were "the second record" until a better one came along.It's fact that Elvis liked old R&B blues numbers and since Tigerman was still pretty new it could easily have been considered.
So for me ,we don't need any more proof then we have right now.We need common sense.
Before they found the second record there could have been a dozen other second records.
Finding the second record would have been a challenge to find like it was to find the first record.
Common sense people.
He knew the song.It could have been among the choices for a followup record.

ImageImage

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Can some native English speaking fan here type word for word Elvis is saying here...?
He says all in a straight and serious way...no joking like he did 6 times in a row in Aug
1970...I think he really means it..so please..

Second second record

Are there any doubts..?

Steve Morse
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Steve Morse »

goldbelt on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27 pm wrote:There seems once again to be the familiar air of self congratulatory, unfounded triumphalism from one or two of the same members, reminiscent of when they wrongly continued to assert (earlier in the topic) that a well known Elvis author believed or would be making an announcement supporting the 'second record' acetate theory. He didn't.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55284&start=1925#p1541398

As for the jukebox photo in The Searcher release, if there were anything to be read into that beyond the fact that Elvis returned to records he was familliar with from the early SUN days later in his career - at the very least there would be A VERSION of Tiger Man on at least one of the 3 discs - there isn't.

As it is, it's rather conspicuous by it's absence considering some of the inclusions on disc 3.
In a nutshell !

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:33 pm wrote:
No-one has EVER denied that there is a possibility Elvis recorded it at Sun. Or that he tried it out at Sun. In fact it's highly likely he did.

What they are arguing with is your opening post where you are VERY specific:
Somehow, though, Elvis, Scotty and Bill must have cut a version of "Tiger Man" as a possible follow-up to "That's All Right" (Sun 209), and then producer Sam Phillips pressed acetates for evaluation. Thus the origin of Elvis' "second record" that "not too many people heard" reference.
you're not arguing he possibly recorded the song, you're telling us that he MUST have, and that acetates were pressed.

That is not the same thing as anyone admitting he possibly recorded it at Sun, or tried it out at Sun.