Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic


DEH
Posts: 5041
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 957 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by DEH »

Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote: As stated before Scottys memory wasn't too great,
And you have already agreed that Elvis's memory wasn't too great. So what's your point?
:facep: My point is Elvis made the same statement 7/8 times so there is some truth in it - it wasn"t a one-off comment and thats my point.
In 1975, Elvis said quite a few times that he recorded "The Wonder of You" ..."2 years ago". More than 7 or 8 times. is there some truth to that? :shock:
Last edited by DEH on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Johnny2523
Posts: 11319
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Has thanked: 1841 times
Been thanked: 5676 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Johnny2523 »

DEH wrote:
Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote: As stated before Scottys memory wasn't too great,
And you have already agreed that Elvis's memory wasn't too great. So what's your point?
:facep: My point is Elvis made the same statement 7/8 times so there is some truth in it - it wasn"t a one-off comment and thats my point.
In 1975, Elvis said quite a few times that he recorded "The Wonder of You" ..."2 years ago". More than 7 or or 8 times. is there some truth to that? :shock:
It's compelling!!
if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets
User avatar

Johnny2523
Posts: 11319
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Has thanked: 1841 times
Been thanked: 5676 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Johnny2523 »

Just Pretend:

December 5 1975 DS - ''From an album we did about 4 years ago'' - 1971???
December 8 1975 MS - ''A Song We Did about 3 years ago''
December 9 1975 DS - ''A Song we did about 3 years ago''
December 10 1975 MS - '' a song we recorded about 3 years ago''
December 11 1975 DS ''A song we did about 3 years ago''
December 12 1975 MS '' A Song we did about 3 years ago''

i could continue...
if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

DEH
Posts: 5041
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 957 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by DEH »

Johnny2523 wrote:Just Pretend:

December 5 1975 DS - ''From an album we did about 4 years ago'' - 1971???
December 8 1975 MS - ''A Song We Did about 3 years ago''
December 9 1975 DS - ''A Song we did about 3 years ago''
December 10 1975 MS - '' a song we recorded about 3 years ago''
December 11 1975 DS ''A song we did about 3 years ago''
December 12 1975 MS '' A Song we did about 3 years ago''

i could continue...
lol. He said it quite a few times. it must true. :roll: :roll: :roll: :D :D :D :D :D
User avatar

Johnny2523
Posts: 11319
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Has thanked: 1841 times
Been thanked: 5676 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Johnny2523 »

DEH wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Just Pretend:

December 5 1975 DS - ''From an album we did about 4 years ago'' - 1971???
December 8 1975 MS - ''A Song We Did about 3 years ago''
December 9 1975 DS - ''A Song we did about 3 years ago''
December 10 1975 MS - '' a song we recorded about 3 years ago''
December 11 1975 DS ''A song we did about 3 years ago''
December 12 1975 MS '' A Song we did about 3 years ago''

i could continue...
lol. He said it quite a few times. its must true. :roll: :roll: :roll: :D :D :D :D :D
December 13 1975 MS - ''This is a song we did about 3 years ago, called just pretend''
December 14 1975 MS - ''This next song, is a record we did on an album about 3 years ago it's called just pretend''
December 15 1975 CS - ''This next song is a song we did about 3 years ago, it's called just pretend''

9 times... even more then tiger man!
if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets
User avatar

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Posts: 98960
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 10457 times
Been thanked: 24294 times
Age: 86

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

And on and on the handful of internet malcontents continue their harassment of this topic.

This was posted on page 30, for those did not see it:


drjohncarpenter wrote:While the same handful of people continue to desperately harass this topic, over and over, a far more credible individual has embraced the ideas suggested in this topic. It is both a thrill and extremely pleasing to have validation from outside this forum.

For those who missed it:
Rufus and Elvis

His early recordings, released on the Chess label, were not commercially successful, but when Phillips started his own Sun label, it was Rufus Thomas who had the fledging company’s first hit in 1953. “Bear Cat (The Answer to Hound Dog)” was, as the subtitle suggests, an undisguised, flavorful, and witty response to the Big Mama Thornton original, going to Number Three on the r&b charts and putting Sun Records on the map. This in turn led directly to an eighteen-year-old named Elvis Presley finding his way to the Memphis Recording Service to make a record “for his mother.” Phillips recorded Elvis commercially the following year, trying him out early on Rufus’ version of “Tiger Man,” which would years later become a staple of his Vegas act. Elvis’ arrival in any case marked the end of Rufus’ first brief fling with stardom. Sun Records was essentially a one-man operation, and Sam Phillips would from this point on devote his energies to what became known as rock ‘n’ roll.

Rufus Thomas | Memphis Music Hall of Fame
http://memphismusichalloffame.com/inductee/rufusthomas/

About the Author

Peter Guralnick
His books include the prize-winning two-volume biography of Elvis Presley, Last Train to Memphis, Careless Love, Sweet Soul Music, Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke, Lost Highway, Feel Like Going Home, the biographical inquiry Searching for Robert Johnson, and the novel, Nighthawk Blues. He wrote and co-produced the documentary Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock ‘n’ Roll as well as writing the scripts for the Grammy-winning documentary Sam Cooke/Legend and Martin Scorsese’s blues documentary Feel Like Going Home.

Thank you, Peter.

::rocks
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar

Greg1995
Posts: 1090
Registered for: 12 years 4 months
Location: Europe
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 799 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Greg1995 »

Johnny2523 wrote:
DEH wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Just Pretend:

December 5 1975 DS - ''From an album we did about 4 years ago'' - 1971???
December 8 1975 MS - ''A Song We Did about 3 years ago''
December 9 1975 DS - ''A Song we did about 3 years ago''
December 10 1975 MS - '' a song we recorded about 3 years ago''
December 11 1975 DS ''A song we did about 3 years ago''
December 12 1975 MS '' A Song we did about 3 years ago''

i could continue...
lol. He said it quite a few times. its must true. :roll: :roll: :roll: :D :D :D :D :D
December 13 1975 MS - ''This is a song we did about 3 years ago, called just pretend''
December 14 1975 MS - ''This next song, is a record we did on an album about 3 years ago it's called just pretend''
December 15 1975 CS - ''This next song is a song we did about 3 years ago, it's called just pretend''

9 times... even more then tiger man!
And without joking.
It was said in a fact manner...
User avatar

Greg1995
Posts: 1090
Registered for: 12 years 4 months
Location: Europe
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 799 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Greg1995 »

1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretending it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
User avatar

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Posts: 98960
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 10457 times
Been thanked: 24294 times
Age: 86

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Greg1995 wrote:1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretend it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
I've made my feelings clear about Elvis' undeniably compelling statements many times across this discussion, you can even review the most recent 5 pages and find another iteration about what it may mean.

The point you miss about Peter Guralnick is that he knows more than anyone on this forum about Elvis' life and career, and for a handful of people to continue to harass this topic after we have established his feelings on this topic.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter2

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretend it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
I've made my feelings clear about Elvis' undeniably compelling statements many times across this discussion, you can even review the most recent 5 pages and find another iteration about what it may mean.

The point you miss about Peter Guralnick is that he knows more than anyone on this forum about Elvis' life and career, and for a handful of people to continue to harass this topic after we have established his feelings on this topic.
Or they simply think he wrote a sloppy article. It happens.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Posts: 5002
Registered for: 17 years 1 month
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 2223 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by fn2drive »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretend it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
I've made my feelings clear about Elvis' undeniably compelling statements many times across this discussion, you can even review the most recent 5 pages and find another iteration about what it may mean.

The point you miss about Peter Guralnick is that he knows more than anyone on this forum about Elvis' life and career, and for a handful of people to continue to harass this topic after we have established his feelings on this topic.
You laid out all the circumstantial evidence and it is pretty compelling. As i noted until Tutankhamen's tomb was located despite lots of evidence, the deniers denied. And here it simply to be disagreeable. History is waiting on this one. While the naysayers are praying for an undiscovered take of Padre, i'll hold out hope that this historical artifact is discovered.
Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

poormadpeter2

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by poormadpeter2 »

fn2drive wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretend it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
I've made my feelings clear about Elvis' undeniably compelling statements many times across this discussion, you can even review the most recent 5 pages and find another iteration about what it may mean.

The point you miss about Peter Guralnick is that he knows more than anyone on this forum about Elvis' life and career, and for a handful of people to continue to harass this topic after we have established his feelings on this topic.
You laid out all the circumstantial evidence and it is pretty compelling. As i noted until Tutankhamen's tomb was located despite lots of evidence, the deniers denied. And here it simply to be disagreeable. History is waiting on this one. While the naysayers are praying for an undiscovered take of Padre, i'll hold out hope that this historical artifact is discovered.
I'm not quite sure why you are obsessed (literally) with making out that people who are saying this doesn't exist and it's all nonsense are, for some reason, "holding out" for something ludicrous. Nobody on this board is HOPING that Tiger Man at Sun won't some day show up - but they are sensible enough to realise that there is absolutely not one piece of credible evidence to suggest that it exists or ever did exist.
User avatar

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Posts: 98960
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 10457 times
Been thanked: 24294 times
Age: 86

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

fn2drive wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretend it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
I've made my feelings clear about Elvis' undeniably compelling statements many times across this discussion, you can even review the most recent 5 pages and find another iteration about what it may mean.

The point you miss about Peter Guralnick is that he knows more than anyone on this forum about Elvis' life and career, and for a handful of people to continue to harass this topic after we have established his feelings on this topic.
You laid out all the circumstantial evidence and it is pretty compelling. As i noted until Tutankhamen's tomb was located despite lots of evidence, the deniers denied. And here it simply to be disagreeable. History is waiting on this one. While the naysayers are praying for an undiscovered take of Padre, i'll hold out hope that this historical artifact is discovered.
Damn right. Thank you.

Peter Guralnick > FECC naysayers

140207_Guralnick_Graceland.jpg
http://www.npr.org/2014/02/08/273030656/not-my-job-an-american-music-historian-gets-quizzed-on-k-pop
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Juan Luis

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Juan Luis »

There wasn't a "compelling" reason to revive a dormant thread (after almost a year), except to remind that there wasn't even a close agreement about a "mystery" not solved.

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Posts: 3027
Registered for: 6 years
Has thanked: 890 times
Been thanked: 618 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Davelee »

draig goch wrote:As an Elvis fan of 40 years and self confessed sun addict I honestly think he did run through Tiger man and maybe even put it on tape but I have the same opinion of other lost sun recordings ie....Uncle Penn,....etc, that they were obviously recorded over by Elvis or even other Sun artists or just maybe they did survive but were never handed over to Steve Sholes of RCA. The only sun lost song we can be sure of is Satisfied which we all know was written and documented on Sholes original paperwork but alas has been missing for many years. This can be discussed for decades regarding Tiger man but sadly if it wasn't taken and rescued at its time of recording then sadly I feel it like many other sun songs were recorded over and lost forever.
There was never any evidence from anyone connected to Elvis, or Elvis himself, stating he did Uncle Penn and also the other titles from this same rumour Tennessee Saturday Night and Oakie Boogie. These songs were included in an Hill and Range song folio book released in November 1955 along with some of Elvis' Sun recordings. When RCA acquired Presleys contract in November '55, along with the publishing rights to the Sun recordings which was also part of the deal, to recoup some of the money they paid out for his contract they quickly re-released all his Sun Singles on the RCA label plus this song folio book that had other song titles amongst Presleys Sun stuff - these other titles in the book by other artists are just simply to fill out the book and a chance to promote other Hill and Range songs. Because other songs were in amongst Presleys Sun Recordings fans got the mad notion that Elvis must have recorded them, thats where the rumour started but once the bootleggers started releasing unissued presley outtakes in the 70s and searching for any unreleased Presley recordings the rumour became more of a fantastyland and got bigger and bigger until it got so big that some people actually think he recorded them.

It is a shame, but also true, that Sam would reuse tape to save expense because new tape was very expensive. When Elvis joined Sun, Sun Records was still in its infancy and money was tight for Sam. But when Presley left Sun the whole situation changed Sam then had million sellers by Perkins and Cash and then later by Lewis so he had a lot more money to fund his company which included buying more brand new tape, thats why there is so much outtake material from 1956 onwards, truckloads of it, especially the Lewis stuff - hundreds of hours of him on tape, makes me think Sam never switched the tape off when Lewis was there. So if tape hadn't of been too expensive we may have had many hours of Presley stuff too.

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Posts: 3027
Registered for: 6 years
Has thanked: 890 times
Been thanked: 618 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Davelee »

Greg1995 wrote:1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretending it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
To answer your first question Peter Guralnicks new book was about Sam Phillips, not Elvis or a book about Elvis' Sun discography what he recorded or may have recorded, yes of course, Elvis is mentioned thats only natural. The whole purpose of the book was to focus on the life and times of Sam Phillips.
User avatar

MikeFromHolland
Posts: 7094
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Has thanked: 2548 times
Been thanked: 5893 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by MikeFromHolland »

drjohncarpenter wrote:And on and on the handful of internet malcontents continue their harassment of this topic.

This was posted on page 30, for those did not see it:


drjohncarpenter wrote:While the same handful of people continue to desperately harass this topic, over and over, a far more credible individual has embraced the ideas suggested in this topic. It is both a thrill and extremely pleasing to have validation from outside this forum.

For those who missed it:
Rufus and Elvis

His early recordings, released on the Chess label, were not commercially successful, but when Phillips started his own Sun label, it was Rufus Thomas who had the fledging company’s first hit in 1953. “Bear Cat (The Answer to Hound Dog)” was, as the subtitle suggests, an undisguised, flavorful, and witty response to the Big Mama Thornton original, going to Number Three on the r&b charts and putting Sun Records on the map. This in turn led directly to an eighteen-year-old named Elvis Presley finding his way to the Memphis Recording Service to make a record “for his mother.” Phillips recorded Elvis commercially the following year, trying him out early on Rufus’ version of “Tiger Man,” which would years later become a staple of his Vegas act. Elvis’ arrival in any case marked the end of Rufus’ first brief fling with stardom. Sun Records was essentially a one-man operation, and Sam Phillips would from this point on devote his energies to what became known as rock ‘n’ roll.

Rufus Thomas | Memphis Music Hall of Fame
http://memphismusichalloffame.com/inductee/rufusthomas/

About the Author

Peter Guralnick
His books include the prize-winning two-volume biography of Elvis Presley, Last Train to Memphis, Careless Love, Sweet Soul Music, Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke, Lost Highway, Feel Like Going Home, the biographical inquiry Searching for Robert Johnson, and the novel, Nighthawk Blues. He wrote and co-produced the documentary Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock ‘n’ Roll as well as writing the scripts for the Grammy-winning documentary Sam Cooke/Legend and Martin Scorsese’s blues documentary Feel Like Going Home.

Thank you, Peter.

::rocks

I posted my discovery on page 25 already:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55284&start=600#p1505873

You make an awful lot of use of this, without even one "thank you" or credit where's credit due.

Anyway, nowhere in this quote I read that Tiger Man was Elvis' second record. There's just an educated guess that Elvis might have tried it out. Anyone of us could have made that guess and presented it as a fact. Saw some signs of the Halo-effect shining through again, just because it's Guralnick that doesn't mean he can present guesswork as fact.

.
Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

.
User avatar

a mess of polk salad
Posts: 6523
Registered for: 13 years 6 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...
Has thanked: 2697 times
Been thanked: 1355 times
Age: 55

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Wouldn't it be amazing if an early recorded version WAS found?

That said I like to focus on the versions we have... Just fantastic stuff!

Very compelling topic...
The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...
User avatar

hm80ep
Posts: 3071
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Location: Somewhere in the black mountain hills of Dakota
Been thanked: 317 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by hm80ep »

Davelee wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretending it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
To answer your first question Peter Guralnicks new book was about Sam Phillips, not Elvis or a book about Elvis' Sun discography what he recorded or may have recorded, yes of course, Elvis is mentioned thats only natural. The whole purpose of the book was to focus on the life and times of Sam Phillips.
So adding a sentence or two about 'Tiger Man' would not really be out of place, quite the contrary.

The following isn't really hard to imagine as being a line from the book focusing on the life and times of Sam Phillips:

“Sam co-wrote ‘Tiger Man,’ a song that Elvis Presley ran through / tried out / recorded at Sun Records and which would years later become a staple of his Vegas act.”
Henryk

PiersEIN
Posts: 1986
Registered for: 18 years
Has thanked: 203 times
Been thanked: 1273 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by PiersEIN »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Damn right. Thank you.

Peter Guralnick > FECC naysayers
I don't understand you pointing fingers at "FECC naysayers" when you personally said the following about Guralnick?
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:So does Sam mention that Sam and Marion disagreed about who recorded Elvis the first time or does he just go straight to Sam's version?
When reading Peter Guralnick's work as it relates to the Elvis story, do not forget he is a loyal person (Tom Parker, Jerry Schilling, Sam Phillips).
For this fan, though, it is a disappointment.
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Peter Guralnick is just a fair man that doesn't write to please. Simple as that.
Simple, indeed.
You have previously stated that you have been disappointed with Guralnick's authority and investigations into Elvis at SUN. :facep:

And remember, we are not "desperate to harass this topic" - on the contrary, we are stating FACTS for FECC readers that you personally seem to want to ignore.

You often belittle people for not stating facts and only conjecture on FECC, yet on this particular thread others are stating facts which for some reason are viewed by you as harassment not as positive input.

When Scotty Moore said, "We didn't record it - if we did then it got erased. Sam didn't want to spend that money on tape." how can that be harassment?
Surely at other times this would be viewed as great research on the topic at hand?

All I have been doing is stating FACTS which is what you always ask of FECC posters.

Cheers
Piers

TheMaskedClown
Posts: 687
Registered for: 8 years 8 months
Location: Downunder
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by TheMaskedClown »

fn2drive wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretend it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
I've made my feelings clear about Elvis' undeniably compelling statements many times across this discussion, you can even review the most recent 5 pages and find another iteration about what it may mean.

The point you miss about Peter Guralnick is that he knows more than anyone on this forum about Elvis' life and career, and for a handful of people to continue to harass this topic after we have established his feelings on this topic shows a deep ignorance, or jealousy. Or both.
You laid out all the circumstantial evidence and it is pretty compelling. As i noted until Tutankhamen's tomb was located despite lots of evidence, the deniers denied. And here it simply to be disagreeable. History is waiting on this one. While the naysayers are praying for an undiscovered take of Padre, i'll hold out hope that this historical artifact is discovered.
LOL on your logic Elvis is still alive.
User avatar

MikeFromHolland
Posts: 7094
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Has thanked: 2548 times
Been thanked: 5893 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by MikeFromHolland »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Looks like Peter Guralnick read this topic and agreed the statements made by Elvis in the summer of 1970 (and later) were compelling.

Posted long before this topic even started by Shane Paterson:

"Tiger Man - Sun, possibly as early as the breakthrough 7/54 sessions; in 8/70 Elvis would sometimes introduce this as "one of my first records" or "my second record" (without the "Mystery Train" part included)"

Source: http://members.tripod.com/beyondthereef__1/rumors.html


Don't think anyone needs this topic to question if Elvis recorded or tried out Tiger Man in the early Sun days. The question/mystery arose in 1968 already :wink:


Personally I think he did try it out, just like many others. It might have been after That's All Right, Mama while looking for a flip-side. Just before Bill Black came up with Blue Moon Of Kentucky, for they were looking for something up-beat again.

But his second record? Nah.
.
Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

.

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Posts: 3027
Registered for: 6 years
Has thanked: 890 times
Been thanked: 618 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Davelee »

hm80ep wrote:
Davelee wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:1) Doc, why don't contact Mr. Guralnick and ask on what is he backing his statement on?
The article is from 2012, he released his knew about Sam Phillips last year (2015)
and as far as I know he does not tackle "Tiger Man" story at all there...
Strange, isn't it?
2) You're twisting your version, in some latest post you write strong "possibility"
and then in between you're quoting Guralnick's article pretending it's a FACT now...
So what is your final statement, FACT or POSSIBILITY?
Thanks!
To answer your first question Peter Guralnicks new book was about Sam Phillips, not Elvis or a book about Elvis' Sun discography what he recorded or may have recorded, yes of course, Elvis is mentioned thats only natural. The whole purpose of the book was to focus on the life and times of Sam Phillips.
So adding a sentence or two about 'Tiger Man' would not really be out of place, quite the contrary.

The following isn't really hard to imagine as being a line from the book focusing on the life and times of Sam Phillips:

“Sam co-wrote ‘Tiger Man,’ a song that Elvis Presley ran through / tried out / recorded at Sun Records and which would years later become a staple of his Vegas act.”
The fact that it wasn't included in the book is no big deal. But he has included it elsewhere in another essay so thats more then enough, plus he goes along with Elvis doing Tiger Man which is what the naysayers of this topic are bickering against.
User avatar

Steve Morse
Posts: 3705
Registered for: 17 years 11 months
Location: Staffordshire
Has thanked: 1628 times
Been thanked: 1765 times
Age: 73

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by Steve Morse »

[quote="Davelee"]
There was never any evidence from anyone connected to Elvis, or Elvis himself, stating he did Uncle Penn and also the other titles from this same rumour Tennessee Saturday Night and Oakie Boogie. These songs were included in an Hill and Range song folio book released in November 1955 along with some of Elvis' Sun recordings. When RCA acquired Presleys contract in November '55, along with the publishing rights to the Sun recordings which was also part of the deal, to recoup some of the money they paid out for his contract they quickly re-released all his Sun Singles on the RCA label plus this song folio book that had other song titles amongst Presleys Sun stuff - these other titles in the book by other artists are just simply to fill out the book and a chance to promote other Hill and Range songs. Because other songs were in amongst Presleys Sun Recordings fans got the mad notion that Elvis must have recorded them, thats where the rumour started but once the bootleggers started releasing unissued presley outtakes in the 70s and searching for any unreleased Presley recordings the rumour became more of a fantastyland and got bigger and bigger until it got so big that some people actually think he recorded them.
[quote]

As a matter of interest, I have a copy of the Hill and Range song folio ($1.25, 1956). It does not include Uncle Penn which to my knowledge had not been associated with Elvis until a release on an independent record label was announced in the UK circa 1968. The release did not materialise and that is a mystery in itself.
"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"
User avatar

MikeFromHolland
Posts: 7094
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Has thanked: 2548 times
Been thanked: 5893 times

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Steve Morse wrote: As a matter of interest, I have a copy of the Hill and Range song folio ($1.25, 1956). It does not include Uncle Penn which to my knowledge had not been associated with Elvis until a release on an independent record label was announced in the UK circa 1968. The release did not materialise and that is a mystery in itself.
First time I heard about it was due to this book:

Image
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HILLBILLY-CAT-Hans-LANGBROEK/dp/B00WL2ZPCS

The Hillbilly Cat as written by the Dutch Hans Langbroek in 1970. In this book he also wrote already about the Dutch Dries van Cuijk being Colonel Tom Parker.

Langbroek misspelled Uncle Pen as "Uncle Penn" with double n, like many here still do :wink: . "Uncle Pen" is a song written by Bill Monroe about his uncle and musical mentor, Pendleton Vandiver.

.
Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

.