Upcoming FTD Release "Summer Of '76"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Upcoming FTD Release "Summer Of '76"

Post by YDKM »

Just as soon as I got home today Rob I found the show and listened to it.Basicaly the 31st July 76 show is a 'GOOD SHOW' without detailing every song Elvis sounds good and after a strong C.C.Rider and reasonable songs the first highlight is and I love you so- very sincere, then America good with a reprise.E.M.Rain full version Was very nice indeed and Hurt with a 2nd full version was good again, Blue Seude shoes Was a similar "throwaway" as Hound Dog and yet HGTA Was yet another concert highlight and a good version, funny how time dialogue + closing CHFIL was un memorable but basically a better show than the previous two days shows.. so why? Did FTD not include this show???
Early on Elvis comments are positive and a good feel to the show. :D
Last edited by YDKM on Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

YDKM wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:17 pm
Did FTD not include this show???
FTD did not. The reason being, spoiler alert, Summer Of '76 (Rob's Version) (!) which will be released at a later date :wink: *hic*
It'll feature the July 24 Evening Show (Charleston), July 31 (Hampton Roads) and yes... wait for it... some other show :D

And Rob will finally be mentioned and thanked for somewhere on the digipack. Right after Ciscoking. Or maybe even right before him, who knows.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

I do now question 2 things:-
These shows are NOT the best shows from this tour.
And why no 'best of' bonus songs as disc running time is short.?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

Wow, I just listened to the afternoon show from Charleston, and that was one bad show to which I'll not likely return. The following day in 1976, I was on my way to Syracuase, not knowing if he was doing a matinee or not (he did not), and so only saw one show Sunday, then Monday in Rochester, and back to Syracuse on Tuesday. Three of the poorest shows I saw of the 29 I attended -- and had there been a matinee on the 24th, and I could have found tickets, I would have seen Elvis 30 times in person. So close. So long ago. :(

Springfield was like a jolt when I put it in the CD player -- though he'd only been up an hour (or so he said later), he is so much better sounding than the 24th. And I can see from the listing he does POLK SALAD ANNIE which he didn't do on the 24th, indicating how tired / lazy he was. Still can't believe after the sound failure during CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE that when it came back on, he didn't repeat the whole song -- it's only 90 seconds long, really!?!? The talk about the baseball game was fun -- never heard anything like that. I'm just listening to it now.

Christopher Brown

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes I am struggling with this release and so many times he seems 'ok' one day and poor the next.having listened twice to Hampton Roads 31st July show I would have liked this show instead of one of the other two. I can see the reasoning why the first Charleston show was included( because it had not been bootlegged like the E/S )and Elvis to my ears sounds 'fine' but shortens the show a bit. Springfield seems a difficult show with Elvis trying hard but sounding very much under the weather to my ears, both the track listing's of the 29th + 30th July shows looks pretty good, but do not sound good.Certainly when compared to almost ANY show from the previous tour these are a grade lower.

You Don't Know Me!

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

YDKM wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:44 am
Yes I am struggling with this release....
Do you think you'll be OK?

Can you lie down on a couch and talk to someone where you are?

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

YDKM wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:17 pm
Just as soon as I got home today Rob I found the show and listened to it.Basicaly the 31st July 76 show is a 'GOOD SHOW' without detailing every song Elvis sounds good and after a strong C.C.Rider and reasonable songs the first highlight is and I love you so- very sincere, then America good with a reprise.E.M.Rain full version Was very nice indeed and Hurt with a 2nd full version was good again, Blue Seude shoes Was a similar "throwaway" as Hound Dog and yet HGTA Was yet another concert highlight and a good version, funny how time dialogue + closing CHFIL was un memorable but basically a better show than the previous two days shows.. so why? Did FTD not include this show???
Early on Elvis comments are positive and a good feel to the show. :D
A complete Early Morning Rain you say?

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

MadTiger
Registered for: 3 years 3 months

Post by MadTiger »

YDKM wrote:
Yes I am struggling with this release and so many times he seems 'ok' one day and poor the next.having listened twice to Hampton Roads 31st July show I would have liked this show instead of one of the other two. I can see the reasoning why the first Charleston show was included( because it had not been bootlegged like the E/S )and Elvis to my ears sounds 'fine' but shortens the show a bit. Springfield seems a difficult show with Elvis trying hard but sounding very much under the weather to my ears, both the track listing's of the 29th + 30th July shows looks pretty good, but do not sound good.Certainly when compared to almost ANY show from the previous tour these are a grade lower.
I fear that, if and/or when, FTD finally releases the July 31st, 1976 soundboard you'll be as disapointed with it as you are right now with the Springfield show (of which you have been much more favorable when you only had the audience recording). A soundboard will reveal that the first Hampton Roads show is most likely of the same quality as the other shows from this tour which were released boht officially and un-officially. As I knew what to expect I was not disapointed by listening to this new FTD release. 1976 Elvis concerts are what they are.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

MadTiger wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:28 pm
YDKM wrote:
I fear that, if and/or when, FTD finally releases the July 31st, 1976 soundboard you'll be as disapointed with it as you are right now with the Springfield show (of which you have been much more favorable when you only had the audience recording). A soundboard will reveal that the first Hampton Roads show is most likely of the same quality as the other shows from this tour which were released boht officially and un-officially. As I knew what to expect I was not disapointed by listening to this new FTD release. 1976 Elvis concerts are what they are.
I dont have the PA but from the sounds of it a full early morning rain was sung, that would be worth something from a collectors stand point, along with the only version of HGTA from that tour

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes I agree (previously) listening to the audience recording of the Springfield show I thought it was one of the better shows this tour, now I am in doubt of that.Funny but of the 3 shows Hampton Roads never sounded as good as it does on this FTD release! My audience recording of the 31st July show has some 'hiss' and is not the best- but Elvis does come across as pretty enthusiastic at the start of the show, how a soundboard would make him come across I do not know.
And I certainly did enjoy his (nearly)full version of E.M.Rain from 31st July! As I did earlier a pity we have not even got say just HGTA as a 'bonus' song from that show as cd 3 runs 60 mins and very easily more songs could have been added! Hmm
This is NOT going to be my fav FTD release! :|
Last edited by YDKM on Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

You Don't Know Me!

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by ORION »

I'm not sure what's going on..., but there is definitely a change in the air for me. There was a time when I couldn't wait to read about a new and forthcoming FTD soundboard release. There was no question in my mind about whether or not to purchase / pre-order it. However, over the last couple of years I have passed on a few of these FTD releases, and I must say that from what I can surmise from comments about this release (like the one above) I am confident that I made the right decision in not purchasing this one. So, I'm not sure what has happened. Is is the concert choices? The annoying speed issues like on the recent "Let me Be There" set or the cost increase (over $70 a set by adding in shipping costs) for the three CD sets?

Is this happening to anyone else? Maybe that'll all change with the next FTD soundboard announcement, or maybe I'll continue to add a little extra to my IRA contributions. 8)

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Could someone post the version of Early Morning Rain from July 31st?

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

A SB recording does reveal much cause you hear Elvis voice straight...almost every breath he takes.
Thats what we have ..thats the legacy. And we have to deal with that. I made the experience that bad sounding audience recordings being labelled as "good" turned out to be not "good" when they were outed by FTD...and of course the other way round. I am just glad that this pack gets all in all good feedback regarding these heavy times back then. But thats the story and FTD documents it for collectors always taking care about quality of the concerts in the respective time range. Please also note that FTD always keeps a balance between new shows...bootlegged and cdr ones. The label stands above all and in the end doesnt care about previous outings. Be assured that FTD is up to date about all and everything when it comes to concerts on CD from 1969 till 1977 including fan requests....the team has a schedule..;-)

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Elvis2000 »

Ciscoking wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:22 pm
A SB recording does reveal much cause you hear Elvis voice straight...almost every breath he takes.
Thats what we have ..thats the legacy. And we have to deal with that. I made the experience that bad sounding audience recordings being labelled as "good" turned out to be not "good" when they were outed by FTD...and of course the other way round. I am just glad that this pack gets all in all good feedback regarding these heavy times back then. But thats the story and FTD documents it for collectors always taking care about quality of the concerts in the respective time range. Please also note that FTD always keeps a balance between new shows...bootlegged and cdr ones. The label stands above all and in the end doesnt care about previous outings. Be assured that FTD is up to date about all and everything when it comes to concerts on CD from 1969 till 1977 including fan requests....the team has a schedule..;-)
If Ernst is alright with releasing poor summer 1976 shows then a three disc set containing the best/most interesting shows from 1977 should be alright too and it should be fairly easy to fit five or six shows in the set, Ann Arbour alone deserves an official release.

Disc one: Savannah & Columbia
Disc two: Abilene & bonus tracks in improved sound
Disc three: Ann Arbor & Saginaw (April 25)

If shows from the May/June tour exist I’d replace Saginaw with Mobile, a more interesting show containing final versions of Polk Salad Annie and An American Trilogy.

A sessions style box set containing all the 1977 spring tours multi tracks would be more welcome however.

MadTiger

Post by MadTiger »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:53 pm
MadTiger wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:28 pm
YDKM wrote:
I dont have the PA but from the sounds of it a full early morning rain was sung, that would be worth something from a collectors stand point, along with the only version of HGTA from that tour
From a colectors viewpoint you're absolutely right, but as a whole I doubt the July 31st, 1976 concert is any different (read: better) than all the other released concerts from this tour.

MadTiger

Post by MadTiger »

YDKM wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:57 pm
Yes I agree (previously) listening to the audience recording of the Springfield show I thought it was one of the better shows this tour, now I am in doubt of that.Funny but of the 3 shows Hampton Roads never sounded as good as it does on this FTD release! My audience recording of the 31st July show has some 'hiss' and is not the best- but Elvis does come across as pretty enthusiastic at the start of the show, how a soundboard would make him come across I do not know.
And I certainly did enjoy his full version of E.M.Rain from 31st July! As I did earlier a pity we have not even got say just HGTA as a 'bonus' song from that show as cd 3 runs 60 mins and very easily more songs could have been added! Hmm
It's definitely funny how sound (soundboard and audience recorded) can play tricks on ones ears. I've always found that Elvis sounded quite good on the July 25th - 27th and August 3rd - August 5th concerts from this tour. But I have no doubt that if these would be released from the soundboard they are not going to be any better shows than anything we've had from this tour so far.

At least, there is always something in any Elvis show to satisfy me, like any version of 'You Gave Me A Mountain' or 'Help Me' for example. I still love any Elvis show for what it is.

I wonder what FTD's policy is (if any) regarding bonus songs. I've found them to be quite uneven regarding those. Sometimes we get them, more often we don't. Perhaps Cisco could shed some light on that matter for us.

Gamma Master
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by Gamma Master »

ORION wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:20 pm
Is this happening to anyone else? Maybe that'll all change with the next FTD soundboard announcement, or maybe I'll continue to add a little extra to my IRA contributions.
I don't have anywhere near as much money to spend on such things as I used to, so my purchasing of Elvis CDs in general has declined. That coupled with the move to the expensive 3CD sets makes it possible that I won't be buying another FTD for a looong time to come, unless something incredible comes out, which three shows from the summer of '76 certainly are not.

Every opinion is my own, unless stated otherwise.

I overuse brackets as well

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

The thing is right, some people keep buying these packages at these, sometimes, way overpriced price points and that's great on them, but the main objective here is just too file on a shelf for the sake of having it, or do you people actually really listen to these concerts for repeat listening pleasure?

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by ORION »

the main objective here is just too file on a shelf for the sake of having it, or do you people actually really listen to these concerts for repeat listening pleasure

That's a very good question. Between FTDs, bootlegs, and ARs I have over 400 shows in my collection. That's bordering on half (OK - a third) of all the concerts Elvis performed from 1969 - 1977. To me, having that number available and in my possession is remarkable. While I am sure many on here have more and perhaps even some have nearly all of his shows in some physical form. So, speaking for me, there is not enough leisure hours in the day where I would want to spend some it daily listening to an Elvis concert. However, when I do find those days/hours, I do NOT select a show where Elvis is struggling vocally, or even struggling to get his breath (and there are more than enough of those in my collection). I cannot imagine any fan would pull one of those from his shelf for enjoyment - I know I don't.

Part of me does question why those type of shows are selected by the FTD team for release. It's obvious why the bootleggers put out those and any show they have at their disposal. As for FTD, I guess perhaps it comes down to the fact that FTD IS for the fans and even on those bad nights for Elvis there were 10 - 15,000 people who witnessed the show. If those fans are still around and an FTD customer, I am sure they will be a purchaser of that set. While I agree with Cisco, a soundboard will reveal Elvis' performance (warts and all) unlike the veil of an atmospheric AR, there is a reason to release these shows for those fans. I only saw Elvis live twice, and while neither show has been released by FTD, I am sure I will purchase those shows IF and WHEN they are on the FTD calendar, and since they took place in '76 and '77 some (like I did earlier) will question why those shows were chosen.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Well I will say this a 3rd time I believe the FTD release of the August 1st afternoon show is THE best sounding version- whatever they did to re master it works! and just think of this we all know the previous tour closing show( as recently released by FTD) was a darn good 1976 show......move onto the closing show from this next tour and it runs just 50 minutes and that basically says it all!!! :roll:
Next tour started worse!, but ended better as shown by the FTD (partial) release of the Pine Bluff closing tour show. :smt005
Last edited by YDKM on Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

You Don't Know Me!

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

minkahed wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:19 pm
....do you people actually really listen to these concerts for repeat listening pleasure?
Yes, yes I do. With a hot cup of coffee by flickering candlelight in the predawn hours on a Saturday morning. I don't listen to the same show 3 or 4 times in as many days as some do here, but it will eventually be revisited.

And I plan to continue this practice with each new release.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisjock wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:25 am
Please, give us Providence in my lifetime.

Here ya go:

https://www.amazon.com/The-Providence-Collection-4-DVD-Set/dp/B002YEKUD2/

:wink:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Wonderwall wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:38 pm
ORION wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:20 pm
So, I'm not sure what has happened. Is is the concert choices? The annoying speed issues like on the recent "Let me Be There" set or the cost increase (over $70 a set by adding in shipping costs) for the three CD sets?
It's all about the repetition. You're not getting anything new with soundboards any more, they're all "more of the same" and the frankly ridiculous cost merely helps justify the decision not to buy them.
Plus it's mainly repetition of subpar performances, when you're talking about 1976. I'd buy any soundboard release covering 69-72 and March 74, but I don't see the point of spending £50 on three low-quality shows I won't play. I'd much rather listen to the Madison Square Garden shows etc.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

drjohncarpenter

pmp wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:54 am
It's odd that time is set aside to photoshop an image but not to listen to the audio before it goes into production...

You're not on the FTD team, you have zero idea how any of it works.

That said, you dislike the product, stop supporting the label.

:smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Sugarfoot wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:15 pm
I find it amusing that out of the 10 photos on the cover 5 are correctly dated. 50% success rate is pretty good. ;) Not that it matters.

After you're done ripping the miscues, how about sharing with everyone the correct information on the ten photos?

It matters to you enough to write more than once about it on this topic, after all.

:wink:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.