FTD 1972 BOX SET

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mike C
Registered for: 21 years

Re: FTD 1972 BOX SET

Post by Mike C »

Regrading the track listing on the back of the first book, track 25 is noted as being an audience recording. There is no track 25 on the set. I wonder if somewhere along the planning stages, Ernst, Pal and David were going to include an audience recording of "I'm Leaving' It Up To You" from February 10, 1972. Here's how it sounds.

Maybe David can weigh in and let us know if something else was planned.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

Mike C wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:33 pm
Regrading the track listing on the back of the first book, track 25 is noted as being an audience recording. There is no track 25 on the set. I wonder if somewhere along the planning stages, Ernst, Pal and David were going to include an audience recording of "I'm Leaving' It Up To You" from February 10, 1972. Here's how it sounds.

Could be possible as that was a rare performance. Unfortunately the sound is not too good on that one.

Troubleman
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Troubleman »

dsiciliano wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:16 pm
Although a very steep price tag...what a fantastic release! Disc one is, to me, the best sounding live recordings I've ever heard. The mix is superb. It sounds like studio recordings with clapping! I'm sure it has to do, in part, with the venue, as vegas is a more "intimate" setting. And those books! What can I say. With all the hype and speculation about what Baz may be releasing in the near future, here is the most comprehensive look at the filming and audio recording of the On Tour project. Just a treasure trove of info. From the type of cameras used, techniques, venues (they say some shows had as many as 10 cameras rolling!). One thing i thought was neat was the photos of the camera teams at the multiple venues. Seeing them in crowded arenas all set up and waiting for that evenings show to start. I had no idea that all these detailed filming notes still existed after all this time. I guess most of us imagined reels and reels of film just buried away in a salt mine covered in dust (maybe they were?) Very cool info on each show, with newspaper reviews of each performance and articles relating to each one as well. (One newspaper refers to the tickets selling out "so fast despite their hefty $10 price tag!)😂 The books alone are worth their weight in gold. I don't think the rehearsals sound all that much better, but its just me. Again, those February Vegas recordings are simply amazing!
Agreed! This is a great release. It's also interesting to note that the setlist for some of the shows of the April tour are unknown.

::rocks

Troubleman

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Markus K. wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:20 pm
Mike C wrote:

Could be possible as that was a rare performance. Unfortunately the sound is not too good on that one.
Yeah, I know. I am kind of curious what was planned as it appears to have been a late scratch.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

I have listened to disc #1 and found the last recording the version of An American Trilogy from 17th Feb M/S to be EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD!, the rest are all fantastic sounding but I have either heard before or are too similar to already released and "known" versions.... but believe me the entire disc was worth buying for the last track pure QUALITY!
NOW I have also had the time to look through the two books.
Firstly the much slimmer 122 pages of the Elvis 'Las Vegas to Buffalo' is mostly pretty poor. OK A decent listing of the February 14th-17th recording details, but everything else
Is stuff I have seen photos of before or else shows just how incredibly little is 'known' about the entire Las Vegas winter season - almost nothing !, so very dissapointed indeed with this first 122 page volume.
The 2nd book is 385 pages and covers the April 1972 tour in IMMENSCE and extremely impressive detail- both in every shows track listing + what was filmed and impressive photos from every day( many seen before,but many are new) this thicker book is EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE AND COMPREHENSIVE . . and presented in a way that easily superseeds the 'AMIGA' book and is done so well you could almost think Kieren Davis had done it. SO far I feel this is my thoughts.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Markus K. wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:20 pm
Mike C wrote:

A damn same Elvis never tried this in the studio for an album. 😩

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

The track could not possibly be included in that poor sound quality, compared to the rest of cd1!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

cashfan
Registered for: 19 years

Post by cashfan »

Hi,

Has anyone received their order/copy from NDT or had any update?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

cashfan wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:09 am
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Peter
As I previously reported, they have been going through all of their stock to check out the sets where the packaging has been damaged during shipping from Denmark which I believe has now been completed and some sets are having to be returned so there could be a stock issue.
If you are concerned, why not email or call them for a full update. You’d do that if people started telling you they had received their copy, so why not do it first.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Scoobie »

cashfan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Peter
I am still waiting for mine as well. YMDK is in Australia and has a set, but not those who purchased from NDT in the UK. From another point of view at least they are refusing to send out damaged stock and also refusing to pay for shipping back damaged stock to FTD.

My concern is this, say if NDT was promised 500 sets. NDT then sells 500 pre-orders, great. If 50 sets are damaged, does that mean that 50 customers who placed pre-orders would not get a set? Are FTD obliged to replace damaged stock?

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Scoobie wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:46 am
cashfan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Peter
I am still waiting for mine as well. YMDK is in Australia and has a set, but not those who purchased from MDT in the UK. This could damage NDK's reputation here in the UK.
Yes I recieved my set on 2nd January from Elvis Australia, along with my 'Summer 1976' set. + all revieved in 100% excellent condition!
Last edited by YDKM on Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You Don't Know Me!

emjel

Post by emjel »

Scoobie wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:46 am
cashfan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Peter
I am still waiting for mine as well. YMDK is in Australia and has a set, but not those who purchased from NDT in the UK. From another point of view at least they are refusing to send out damaged stock and also refusing to pay for shipping back damaged stock to FTD.

My concern is this, say if NDT was promised 500 sets. NDT then sells 500 pre-orders, great. If 50 sets are damaged, does that mean that 50 customers who placed pre-orders would not get a set? Are FTD obliged to replace damaged stock?
In a nutshell, if the damaged stock reduces the number of sets available and pre-orders exceed the balance, NDT will not be able to fulfill all orders because it seems that FTD are out of stock so cannot send replacements.

~

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

YDKM wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:31 am
I have listened to disc #1 and found the last recording the version of An American Trilogy from 17th Feb M/S to be EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD!, the rest are all fantastic sounding but I have either heard before or are too similar to already released and "known" versions.... but believe me the entire disc was worth buying for the last track pure QUALITY!
Firstly the much slimmer 122 pages of the Elvis 'Las Vegas to Buffalo' is mostly pretty poor. OK A decent listing of the February 14th-17th recording details, but everything else
Is stuff I have seen photos of before or else shows just how incredibly little is 'known' about the entire Las Vegas winter season - almost nothing !, so very dissapointed indeed with this first 122 page volume.

The 2nd book is 385 pages and covers the April 1972 tour in IMMENSCE and extremely impressive detail- both in every shows track listing + what was filmed and impressive photos from every day( many seen before,but many are new) this thicker book is EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE AND COMPREHENSIVE . . and presented in a way that easily superseeds the 'AMIGA' book and is done so well you could almost think Kieren Davis had done it. SO far I feel this is my thoughts.
Your book 1 must be completely different from the one I received with my box then.
Never has there been so much information compiled about this season than we have here. There are so many totally unknown pictures that it just blew me away how these great images have been "lost" for such a long time. Then there is the incredibly detailed information on the recordings from RCA and so many little additional tidbits here and there.
If that is pretty poor I think nothing will make you happy.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

YDKM wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:31 am

I've just received my sets and had a quick look through and I don't agree with this view at all, having all the little unknown and mostly known information in one place makes it the go to source for info about these three months in Elvis' career. Like all books they've been involved in, @davide and Pal have knocked it out the park, I cannot wait to dig into it properly.

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

cashfan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Peter
The problem is that the more people who call them to ask this question slows down the unpacking/checking/dispatching process.

Just hang loose and the book will be with you soon enough

emjel

Post by emjel »

AndrewJ wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:41 pm
cashfan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Peter
The problem is that the more people who call them to ask this question slows down the unpacking/checking/dispatching process.

Just hang loose and the book will be with you soon enough
My understanding is that the checking process has been completed so if the order has not been affected by the problems, then you should receive notification of despatch…soon. But if you want peace of mind, then make contact, even if only by email, because if you are affected, then at least you’ll be able to look around for another supplier.

~

Gunter
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Gunter »

Important notice for the FTD/Flaming Star team:

For future projects, please do not use AI to sharpen/smoothen/restore the presented photographical material. Although only apllied in a 'subtle' manner it is nonetheless clearly visible and it ruins a bit of the fun. The use of AI (in however a subtle manner) always makes photos look unnatural and in some cases even cartoonish/eery. I'd rather have a small blurry picture than a larger unnatural looking one. Luckily most pictures in the book don't suffer from this, but it is there unfortunatily. Really, AI enhancement -in whatever way used- is just garbage and completely unnecessary.
Thank you.

You know, that version of "Dixie" and uh, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," it's so beautiful!
The band he's put together is so over-the-top, and only Elvis would have that kinda spending power, and just audacious craziness. Choirs, and orchestras, and a great rhythm section, maybe another gospel group on the side. None of it makes sense until you suddenly hear something like that, and they're all playing a role in that, and it's very moving music. That's the pure joy of music in the man. You know, that's when I see everything stop.

~Tom Petty - The Searcher

rogegle
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

FTD 1972 BOX SET

Post by rogegle »

This is really a beautiful picture.
From Knoxville, April 8, 1972. The matinee show.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

GaryP
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by GaryP »

Gunter wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:36 pm

For future projects, please do not use AI to sharpen/smoothen/restore the presented photographical material. Although only apllied in a 'subtle' manner it is nonetheless clearly visible and it ruins a bit of the fun. The use of AI (in however a subtle manner) always makes photos look unnatural and in some cases even cartoonish/eery. I'd rather have a small blurry picture than a larger unnatural looking one. Luckily most pictures in the book don't suffer from this, but it is there unfortunatily. Really, AI enhancement -in whatever way used- is just garbage and completely unnecessary.
Thank you.
Totally agree. Fake is fake.

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by robbie »

great books new photos good info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Gunter wrote:

Thank you.

Any examples you can share? Not all of us will be able to afford this box set title.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

robbie wrote:great books new photos good info
Robbie you make my mouth watering! I have it since a few weeks ago, but won’t open it until January the 6th as a present for the three kings day. For Christmas I got other goodies (in Spain we celebrate both Christmas and the 3 kings day).

Iván

La voz del Rey

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

YDKM wrote:I have listened to disc #1 and found the last recording the version of An American Trilogy from 17th Feb M/S to be EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD!, the rest are all fantastic sounding but I have either heard before or are too similar to already released and "known" versions.... but believe me the entire disc was worth buying for the last track pure QUALITY!
To each his own I guess, but the slimmer book is chock full of information that I found very useful.

I’m 200 pages in to the larger book which is full of great photos and information and newspaper articles from the tour.

Many thanks to Pål and David for a wonderful set.

Gunter
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Gunter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:11 pm
Gunter wrote:

Thank you.

Any examples you can share? Not all of us will be able to afford this box set title.
It's not easy to take good pictures of it with my cellphone, scanning would be better but I don't have a scanner. Here are 4 examples anyway fwiw.
The eyes are not right in the first 3 pictures. With the 4th one it's more like oversmoothing in an atempt to upscale the picture, if that makes sence. It's harder to show with a cellphone but it is apparent. You can also seen a rinkle beside the eye that is unnatural.
As I said, most pictures are fine, but a lot do 'suffer' from this oversmoothing which is unfortunate. Some do slightly suffer from AI 'miscalculation' which makes them look a bit unnatural. Some might call it just slightly or just a matter of taste perhaps, but it's certainly not mine.

I cannot help you further, but I am curious what other members think of this. To me, it just spoiled the fun a bit. Certainly for a book I paid 230 Euros for.
It is certainly worth having however, but it is overpriced.

20240103_213450a.jpg
20240103_212639a.jpg
20240103_211904a.jpg
20240103_212027a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You know, that version of "Dixie" and uh, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," it's so beautiful!
The band he's put together is so over-the-top, and only Elvis would have that kinda spending power, and just audacious craziness. Choirs, and orchestras, and a great rhythm section, maybe another gospel group on the side. None of it makes sense until you suddenly hear something like that, and they're all playing a role in that, and it's very moving music. That's the pure joy of music in the man. You know, that's when I see everything stop.

~Tom Petty - The Searcher

vinyljunkie

Post by vinyljunkie »

Gunter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:00 am

It's not easy to take good pictures of it with my cellphone, scanning would be better but I don't have a scanner. Here are 3 examples anyway fwiw.
The eyes are not right in the first 2 pictures. With the 3rd one it's more like oversmoothing in an atempt to upscale the picture, if that makes sence. It's harder to show with a cellphone but it is apparent.
As I said, most pictures are fine, but a lot do 'suffer' from this oversmoothing which is unfortunate. Some do slightly suffer from AI 'miscalculation' which makes them look a bit unnatural. Some might call it just slightly or just a matter of taste perhaps, but it's certainly not mine.

I cannot help you further, but I am curious what other members think of this. To me, it just spoiled the fun a bit. Certainly for a book I paid 230 Euros for.
It is certainly worth having however, but it is overpriced.
I support you 100% here. It's not OK at all.

But as said earlier some are in it just for the money and has been for too many years. Ernst and Roger should have stayed away from one or two people.

Thomas S.