Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
arnaudbxl
Registered for: 10 years 7 months
Mood:

The Lisa Marie Presley MUSIC & LIFE appreciation thread

Post by arnaudbxl »

ab396bc91f360b06494573ef7696e6f7--lisa-marie-presley-priscilla-presley.jpg
Not only do I feel the pain of having to deal with the passing of Lisa, I feel very isolated.
I love LMP since her debut album. I kept on being completely seduced by her productions as time went by.
I'm a songwriter myself and she's been an influence on my work and how I'd define it, just like Elvis did with the 13 years I was once, opening the doors of every music for me.

So this is the end of 20 years of me following any news about her, being overjoyed when she was releasing an album (the last one being the biggest joy), worrying for her since 2016, increasingly so since july 2020, tracking any info I could find as she became more and more reclusive and elusive, loosing herself, broken by the weight of tragedies.

Every single f*** day of these lasts 15 years I searched for news about her.

I'm a fan of her in short.
When a pal from the US sent me a whatsapp to inform me of the terrible news, I couldn't sleep further.
I probably felt the very real pain that Elvis'fans experienced when he died in 1977 and they learnt it.

In shock, with a sad emptiness in the heart, I have no shame admitting I cried, to my very own surprise as I'm not that kind. I don't even remember the last time I did. Now I know: the night I learned that Lisa Marie Presley died.

Except that in Europe, she's basically Elvis'daughter and that's all. Hard to find anyone to talk to about her music, her lyrics and how she really was a one-of-a-kind artist, with a unique background and because of that, a very unique and distinctive approach of songwriting.

So I thought that maybe I could share my feeling about all of this here, on the Elvis Forum I come to visit on a daily basis.
I of course went to the thread dedicated to Lisa's passing here to do so but I don't recognize my feelings and the pain I currently experience in its content and the direction it has taken. She is not even yet buried that the discussions concerning her shock and sadden me even more.

So I open this thread dedicated to Lisa's artistry. Her songs. How she inhabited her lyrics with very autobiographical references,
how excellent a performer she was, not in the usual sense, no doubt, but because of the incredible sensitivity and sincerity she breathed into her work.

Here we don't make guesses about the causes of her death and we behave as if Elvis were still there and he could read what we write about his daughter. We speak about Lisa with the respect and dignity she deserves.

Here we can share our feelings following her loss, for those who had the chance to meet her or see her in concert, tell us your memories. If you like her music, if you liked her... share it here.

Here we celebrate the life of LMP, who followed a path that belongs only to her, and a life that she carried with courage, humor and talent.

nb: to the moderators, if you consider that this thread should be moved in another section, just ask me or don't hesitate to do so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: The Lisa Marie Presley MUSIC & LIFE appreciation thread

Post by brian »

I wasn't a huge fan of Lisa's singing but I thought she did have songwriting talent. I could have seen her writing songs for other singers if she had wanted to do that. I thought she could've been successful doing that. That being said I did like a few of her songs that she sang. I liked Idiot, You Ain't seen nothing yet and Weary. I thought Weary from her last album was a very good ballad. I thought her albums were well produced. Her last album Storm & Grace was produced by T-Bone Burnett and he was a very good producer. I'm sure you knew that. I thought what held her back from having more success was that she didn't have the best voice. I also thought because she had so much money that she treated her singing career as more of a hobby. You know she waited until she was 35 to come out with her first album and I thought that also might have hurt her somewhat. She did have some success in her own right because I remember her first two albums charted in the top ten on the charts and I think they've both gone platinum. I'm talking about the charts in the United States. Unfortunately It didn't seem like a fourth album from Lisa was in the cards.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

arnaudbxl wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:04 am
So I thought that maybe I could share my feeling about all of this here, on the Elvis Forum I come to visit on a daily basis.
I of course went to the thread dedicated to Lisa's passing here to do so but I don't recognize my feelings and the pain I currently experience in its content and the direction it has taken. She is not even yet buried that the discussions concerning her shock and sadden me even more.

So I open this thread dedicated to Lisa's artistry. Her songs. How she inhabited her lyrics with very autobiographical references,
how excellent a performer she was, not in the usual sense, no doubt, but because of the incredible sensitivity and sincerity she breathed into her work.

Here we don't make guesses about the causes of her death and we behave as if Elvis were still there and he could read what we write about his daughter. We speak about Lisa with the respect and dignity she deserves.
As one of the people who took the other thread (to some extent) in the direction you're alluding to, I apologise for any hurt or offence that may have been caused or that you may have experienced. Personally, I couldn't help speculating; or at least joining in with the speculation once it appeared. I hope, of course, I did so with basic compassion and decency; yet the topic itself is obviously problematic and inappropriate to some people. So I hereby acknowledge that and also want to cheer you on for creating this thread. An excellent decision on your part.

I, for one, never really got into Lisa Marie Presley's music, nor did I follow her exploits/escapades that much in the news or on social media. On the other hand, I couldn't help having a slight fascination with her as an Elvis fan, whilst also recognising she was a very attractive woman; and, in many ways, a person that frequently spoke their mind, living something of an "LA" lifestyle, but without so much of the typical distance or pretence. She was a cool person, was LMP. No doubt, her authentic self is expressed through her music, and it's rather interesting that she took such a time to release her first album, as if fighting herself or trying to only put something out of real honesty and merit.

Maybe she could never step entirely outside of her father's shadow, but it looks like she still very much tried to do things her way, also having the complication of multiple marriages and several children to raise; and, in some sense, living a life every bit as colourful as her famous daddy. It's great that she has a fanbase of her own who could appreciate her in her own time and go on appreciating her, like Elvis, now that she is no longer with us. I'm sorry for the pain and anguish you are feeling. It's bloody awesome that both EP and LMP have inspired you in your own creative life. Let that be the rock you cling to as you process this and move from one day to the next. Take good care of yourself and best success for your thread.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by BrianTCB »

Quite honestly, the thread is harmless speculation, and all speculation from me was done so respectfully and with decency. I would understand the hurt and offense if it were an entirely offensive thread against Lisa or the Presleys, but it just isn't.

I'm sorry if anyone took offense, but it is exactly this type of issue that needs to be addressed, now that it's happened to yet another Presley family member. Sweeping it under the rug and calling it a curse doesn't help anybody.

Also, anyone's welcome to post in the other thread at any time, rather than creating duplicate threads on the forum.

brian

Post by brian »

Brian,

Wrong thread. This thread is about Lisa's music. I think you meant to post your message in the thread about Lisa's passing.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:56 am
Brian,

Wrong thread. This thread is about Lisa's music. I think you meant to post your message in the thread about Lisa's passing.
No, it is not the wrong thread. I posted my response to augment Cryogenic's.

brian

Post by brian »

BrianTCB wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:12 am
Brian,

I want to hear your thoughts on Lisa's music. Please share. Were you a fan?

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

BrianTCB wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:53 am
Also, anyone's welcome to post in the other thread at any time, rather than creating duplicate threads on the forum.
I don't see the harm in a separate "appreciation" thread. It's a nice touch and I commend arnaudbxl for being proactive and setting one up.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:23 am
BrianTCB wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:12 am
Brian,

I want to hear your thoughts on Lisa's music. Please share. Were you a fan?
Of course. I enjoyed her albums. In particular, the following songs are my favorites:

Now What
Raven
Idiot

Anyone else notice that most media outlets are not talking about her marriage to Michael Jackson?

Class act from Nick Cage, though with his statement.

I wish Lisa Marie covered at least a few more of her dad's songs. Her voice really shined in an original and sparkling way on the In The Ghetto duet she did. The higher octave served her well.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

arnaudbxl wrote:
I hope this is the correct thread to post / ask this question:
I have always wondered about the autobiographical reference in her song "Nobody Noticed It" ..

"I heard what you said, while it was raining."

Does anybody have any thoughts or insight?

She kept her word to her father, "they tried to make you look broken" .. "but not while I'm living." Thank you LMP.

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

The irony in her lyrics to "Lights Out" is quite haunting and I just can't help but feel sad that if I decide to take another trip to Memphis, she will be buried in "the backyard".

More later ...

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

brian

Post by brian »

Yamaguchi.Y wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:22 am
I have always wondered about the autobiographical reference in her song "Nobody Noticed It" ..

She kept her word to her father, "they tried to make you look broken" .. "but not while I'm living." Thank you LMP.
Lisa wrote that song in response to seeing Marty Lacker, Lamar Fike and Sonny West on a show called E! The True Hollywood story. For those that don't know the E! True Hollywood story was a sensationalized documentary style show that made episodes about various celebrities. It ran for several seasons in the United States. Well, Lisa Marie Presley saw the episode they made about Elvis called The Last days of Elvis: The E! True Hollywood story and she didn't like it. She thought it was very negative towards her father and unfair. She didn't like the things that Marty Lacker, Sonny West and Lamar Fike were saying about her father on that show. She thought they were very negative and they were putting him down. She wrote the song "Nobody noticed it'' in response to seeing Marty, Lamar and Sonny on that show and also as a tribute to her dad. I remember that she criticized Marty Lacker, Lamar Fike and Sonny West publicly for doing that. Which that was rare for Lisa to do.

DEH

Post by DEH »

Lisa couldn't stand Lacker. Lol but he was trashing her calling her a lousy singer and other things. When she called him out for things he revealed about her father he would say on message boards that he should sue her for slander.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

DEH wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:02 am
Lisa couldn't stand Lacker. Lol but he was trashing her calling her a lousy singer and other things. When she called him out for things he revealed about her father he would say on message boards that he should sue her for slander.
Kind of interesting that a plain-spoken person would dislike and/or clash with another plain-spoken person on the subject of Elvis and over putting certain "revelations" out there in public. Maybe, in a way, the Lisa-Lacker thing came down to the former blaming the latter for Elvis living in a self-absorbed fashion and, in later years, frequently within a chemical fog. It's like she held "the guys" responsible for benefiting from their association with her father and them dragging him into their ways. Now, some of the Memphis Mafia may have indulged and enabled Elvis in some ways, but really, it was a two-way thing, with more of the blame falling on Elvis; who was a little Caesar in his own kingdom, who craved the attention, support, and distraction of other men as much as the women he let into his inner circle. Maybe Lisa didn't want to be reminded that her father could be simultaneously generous and reckless, and that he ultimately fell because of his own choices. It's often easier for a person battling chronic grief to look for scapegoats.

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Liverbobs »

I liked her stuff, loved" Idiot" but she was on a hiding to nothing because of who she was. Reading many celebrity comments regarding her and she comes across as a good person.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Liverbobs »

I always thought Lamar Fike put Elvis down on many programme/Documentaries/collaborations. I think one of her comments was "Slithering motherf***ers" regarding the MM.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Liverbobs wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:58 am
I always thought Lamar Fike put Elvis down on many programme/Documentaries/collaborations. I think one of her comments was "Slithering motherf***ers" regarding the MM.
Well, Lamar is kind of in a category all his own. He was clearly a smart and razor-tongued guy. Compared to the other MM, he did seem to like occasionally putting the boot in; which is maybe not all that surprising given some of the treatment he received at the time. No offence to Lisa, in life or death, but she was only a child when her father died. The MM actually associated with him, interacted with him, and lived their lives intertwined with him as adults. Life isn't all sugar and spice and all things nice. She could maybe have had a better relationship with them if she wasn't so inhibited around the reality of his father living as he pleased; which entailed a fair bit of womanising, drug-taking, gun-play, and the rest of it. She naturally wanted to perceive her father as a protector, while ignoring or downplaying some of his more Sybaritic traits and tendencies and the consequences thereof.

Steve G
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Steve G »

I'm younger than Lisa and my first memories of her were when she appeared on tabloid covers as a teenager, and I thought she looked kind of mean.

Then in my university years she married Michael Jackson and I couldn't fathom why she would do that.

But then I read an interview with her in which she said she was working on music in the Alanis Morissette and Tracy Chapman vein.

I bought To Whom It May Concern as soon as it was released and really loved it, especially Indifferent and Lights Out. Loved who beautiful she was in the video too.

I really wanted to see her in concert, but due to timing and distance, it didn't work out. It looks like her final concerts were in 2014, and the final ones were cancelled due to severe back pain on her part. Those dates were in western Canada, where I am.

Really regretting not seeing her now. Who would have thought there would never be another chance.

I saw Blue Oyster Cult locally in 2011 and of course they performed their 1981 hit Burnin' For You. It was an interesting choice for Lisa to record as a B side in 2006 and she did a good job.

She sang a duet with Pat Benatar on VH! Divas in 2003. Pat writes in her autobiography Between a Heart and Rock Place that the Grammy Awards did not mean as much to her as the fact that she was the KIng's daughter's favorite singer.

Topic author
arnaudbxl
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

Thank you all for your posts and reactions, the points you bring up are indeed fascinating, Lisa injecting personal experience into every word she writes. It's fascinating to research the background of her songs, to put them in parallel with the interviews she has given over time... It's an open window into who she was, who was her father and how she saw him, his entourage etc.

@ Cryogenic: thank you so much for your kind words, really appreciate :smt006
@ Brian TCB: I tried :wink: , I posted on the other thread about her music but it's been immediately buried with other subjects. I want to clarify that I had no intention of rejecting or judging anyone by creating this thread, each to their own interests and sensitivity, for my part, I simply did not find mine in the direction that the original thread took (but I do recognize that I'm a fan, and therefore maybe too protective of her) and I wanted to dedicate one to the artistic aspect and to Lisa's life, her choices, her victories, her mistakes.

Anyway, I hesitated to open this thread and now seeing the discussions going on about her songs, lyrics etc, I'm glad I did it, thanks to all! ::rocks

Topic author
arnaudbxl
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

Yamaguchi.Y wrote:
arnaudbxl wrote:

From what I know, think I read this in Gulranick's books but not sure, Lisa often slept or stayed at the door of her father's bedroom. It may be a reference to that, as she declared multiple times that she vividly remember a lot of what was around her father, that she was observing him, that she heard conversations of the guys and felt extremely protective of her father.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

arnaudbxl wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:26 pm
From what I know, think I read this in Gulranick's books but not sure, Lisa often slept or stayed at the door of her father's bedroom. It may be a reference to that, as she declared multiple times that she vividly remember a lot of what was around her father, that she was observing him, that she heard conversations of the guys and felt extremely protective of her father.
Thank you so much for your insightful response. I greatly appreciate it.
Respect and thanks for this thread too.

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

Topic author
arnaudbxl
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:03 am
Yamaguchi.Y wrote:

Lisa wrote that song in response to seeing Marty Lacker, Lamar Fike and Sonny West on a show called E! The True Hollywood story. For those that don't know the E! True Hollywood story was a sensationalized documentary style show that made episodes about various celebrities. It ran for several seasons in the United States. Well, Lisa Marie Presley saw the episode they made about Elvis called The Last days of Elvis: The E! True Hollywood story and she didn't like it. She thought it was very negative towards her father and unfair. She didn't like the things that Marty Lacker, Sonny West and Lamar Fike were saying about her father on that show. She thought they were very negative and they were putting him down. She wrote the song "Nobody noticed it'' in response to seeing Marty, Lamar and Sonny on that show and also as a tribute to her dad. I remember that she criticized Marty Lacker, Lamar Fike and Sonny West publicly for doing that. Which that was rare for Lisa to do.
In fact, what she couldn't stand with their attitudes was that in her eyes, they were putting him down and she explained that in various interviews: "He was a proud man and you're taking him down. Tell the story if you want, but respect him, there's no need to humiliate". She also was very clear that she had memories of some of the guys taking as much as they could from him, pills, women, and that they conveniently forgot that side of the story. She kept good relations with others like Esposito, Schilling, Thompson among others... and yet they've all given interviews too, but there's no denying that the tone they use to talk about Elvis, even when they have to say something a bit more sensitive, is totally different.

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by eligain »

Cryogenic wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:05 am
Liverbobs wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:58 am
Well, Lamar is kind of in a category all his own. He was clearly a smart and razor-tongued guy. Compared to the other MM, he did seem to like occasionally putting the boot in; which is maybe not all that surprising given some of the treatment he received at the time. No offence to Lisa, in life or death, but she was only a child when her father died. The MM actually associated with him, interacted with him, and lived their lives intertwined with him as adults. Life isn't all sugar and spice and all things nice. She could maybe have had a better relationship with them if she wasn't so inhibited around the reality of his father living as he pleased; which entailed a fair bit of womanising, drug-taking, gun-play, and the rest of it. She naturally wanted to perceive her father as a protector, while ignoring or downplaying some of his more Sybaritic traits and tendencies and the consequences thereof.
A few years after Elvis died, the Memphis Mafia broke into 2 camps. The Pro Priscilla and the anti Priscilla. Jerry Schilling, Joe Esposito, Charlie Hodge, and George Kline were in the pro Priscilla group and Marty Lacker, Red and Sonny West, and Lamar Fike were in the anti Priscilla camp.

timothy_sideburns
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by timothy_sideburns »

I thought Storm & Grace was a really really great album. Any artist is only ever as good as they people they choose to work with. We see this with Elvis - compare what happens when he works with Chips Moman, to when he's in Hollywood knocking out another movie soundtrack with nameless session guys.

On Storm & Grace Lisa worked with truly class people. Firstly T-Bone Burnett is one of the best producers around. I absolutely love his sound. A great example is Raising Sand from Robert Plant/Alison Krauss.

Interestingly as she was living in England for a few years she worked with a couple of superb British artists. Ed Harcourt and Richard Hawley are not household names but they are lo-level famous in terms of indie music. Richard Hawley in particular is a wonderful artist with a strong 1950s flavour to his work. I understand he worked with Lisa with on several tracks and she even did some recording with him in the UK.

Three of the tracks on S&G were Richard Hawley co-writes : "Weary" "Storm & Grace" and "How do I fly this plane". I think Storm & Grace is a particularly strong track. Lisa appeared on stage with Hawley in London and they sang Weary.

Richard Hawley & Lisa-Marie Presley on stage in London 2009

My main stumbling block with truly loving her music is that her vocal delivery/diction can be indistinct, so I often struggle to understand the lyrics she's singing. She's not alone in that, loads of successful singers put vocal styling above communication but I'm old school and my tastes tend towards singers that deliver every single word with clarity.

Topic author
arnaudbxl
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

Yamaguchi.Y wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:31 pm
arnaudbxl wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:26 pm
Thank you so much for your insightful response. I greatly appreciate it.
Respect and thanks for this thread too.
I found her exact quotes on the subject of Nobody noticed it, it was in a 2003 Rolling Stone interview:

"The other song explicitly about her father is called “Nobody Noticed It.” It was written after a day when, clicking through the TV channels, she stumbled across the E! True Hollywood Story: The Last Days of Elvis in which many of her father’s associates and hangers-on talked about his downfall. “I couldn’t believe they were trying to take his dignity — Sonny West, Marty Lacker, Red West, all these people that were worse than him.” These were all people she knew from his lifetime: “They scared the hell out of me when I was a kid, too. I remember seeing the Playboys, the drugs, the women — I watched it all, and I watched them. I know the real story behind all of them, and I know what they’re out there doing.”

After seeing the program, she was in shock. She couldn’t sleep, she was so angry. “I just thought, ‘You slithering motherfuckers have no right. None. You were responsible for this just as much as he was. His dignity was one of the most important things to him, and you are trying to take it away.'”

She called one of her co-writers and put her fury and sadness into a song. “All that you had to endure …” she sang, “Nobody noticed it.” “He didn’t have anyone to keep him leveled off. You get into this world where nothing you do is wrong. I don’t think any artist has really done that well with it — they usually end up destroying themselves. Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison … he wasn’t the only one. It’s like you have no basis anymore. No foundation. And I think he was one of the first ones to go through it. It was very lonely there, where he was. I know that.”