Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

True beauty

Post by luckyjackson1 »

With the "Baz Luhrmann" topic revived for the about zillionth time, I'd like to give you a little bit back of what's really important: the man and his music.

Without knowing these tracks are featured on the recent MRS set (yes, the one with the completely inaudible conversation, that nowhere shook the Elvis world), I decided to try to enhance the performances of "Indescribably Blue" and "Suppose" from the 1999 release "The Home Recordings" a little, by trying to edit some of the interfering noise and make them more listenable.

The first one was most likely recorded in June 1966, probably even the day before he cut the studio master (which would have been June 11, 1966).
Note the lyric change "I look at your picture" instead of the to me somehow silly line "I talk to your picture". Not bad for an primitively recorded performance on an home tape recorder!

Indescribably Blue (Home Recording) (Remaster)

Also another true beauty has always been to me the version of "Suppose", first released in 1984 on the "A Golden Celebration" box set. To this day I refuse to believe that this isn't a professionally recorded studio take but a simple home performance, captured with Red West's semiprofessional recording equipment! Somehow for me my statement substantiated when fifteen years later this (in my opinion) worse sounding, TRUE home recording surfaced. It says that both versions were recorded late 1966 or early 1967 at Elvis' home on Rocca Place in California but I still think the first released "stripped down" version sounds better sonicially. Was it enhanced in the studio for the purpose of recording a backing track for it on March 20, 1967? I'll (probably) never know. Anyway, here it is, the one from the 1999 release, also a little (hopefully) enhanced.

Suppose (Home Recording) (Remaster)

Hope you like 'em.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Re: True beauty

Post by GERRY »

WHAT A INCREDIBLE VOICE SHAME ON ANYONE WHO SAYS THIS SHOULDNT BE IN THE BIO. THEY HAVE THOUSANDS HOURS OF ISOLATED VOCALS.
THANKYOU FOR POSTING THIS IT IS BEAUTIFUL

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

Beautiful

marvan
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by marvan »

Great job !

hli
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by hli »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:12 am
With the "Baz Luhrmann" topic revived for the about zillionth time, I'd like to give you a little bit back of what's really important: the man and his music.

Without knowing these tracks are featured on the recent MRS set (yes, the one with the completely inaudible conversation, that nowhere shook the Elvis world), I decided to try to enhance the performances of "Indescribably Blue" and "Suppose" from the 1999 release "The Home Recordings" a little, by trying to edit some of the interfering noise and make them more listenable.

The first one was most likely recorded in June 1966, probably even the day before he cut the studio master (which would have been June 11, 1966).
Note the lyric change "I look at your picture" instead of the to me somehow silly line "I talk to your picture". Not bad for an primitively recorded performance on an home tape recorder!

Indescribably Blue (Home Recording) (Remaster)

Also another true beauty has always been to me the version of "Suppose", first released in 1984 on the "A Golden Celebration" box set. To this day I refuse to believe that this isn't a professionally recorded studio take but a simple home performance, captured with Red West's semiprofessional recording equipment! Somehow for me my statement substantiated when fifteen years later this (in my opinion) worse sounding, TRUE home recording surfaced. It says that both versions were recorded late 1966 or early 1967 at Elvis' home on Rocca Place in California but I still think the first released "stripped down" version sounds better sonicially. Was it enhanced in the studio for the purpose of recording a backing track for it on March 20, 1967? I'll (probably) never know. Anyway, here it is, the one from the 1999 release, also a little (hopefully) enhanced.

Suppose (Home Recording) (Remaster)

Hope you like 'em.
Thank you!

Supose.. Elvis and piano.
What can you say about it. I will take a bow. This guy was in a league of his own. Superior vocal mastering here.

The older I get, the more i appreciate this type of songs. Simple arrangement, with only guitar or piano. Listen to the first take of "Love me tonight" a song i'm playing a lot these days from the recent FTD LP where he also lays down a unbelievable stunning vocal.

The more i think about it, i think it would be rather safe to say that his vocal greatness is overshadowed by his image, causing people not getting full sense of his unbelievable talent.

You hear people often say "he or she touched my soul with his/her singing" But Elvis could not only touch it, he could grab it and squeeze every drop of emotion out of it.

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

You're very welcome, folks. Thanks a lot for your nice comments. Glad you like 'em.

I fully agree with you, hli. Wonderfully said ::rocks

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me