I'll Never Fall In Love Again Live version 1976

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

AndrewJ
Registered for: 21 years

Re: I'll Never Fall In Love Again Live version 1976

Post by AndrewJ »

The vocal is wobbly, the delivery is flabby, the performance lacks any of the subtleties that graced Elvis' best work. His final works saw him drawn towards ballads with a dramatic ending - but his condition meant that he failed to pull it off. Listen to Take 1 of In the Ghetto and you can see how far he had fallen.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Lexie1973 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:08 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 am wrote: But how anyone can give kudos to Presley's woeful master of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" is beyond comprehension. He was simply not up to the task.
Why such a condescending remark (again) Doc? Isn't music a matter of taste? Isn't it possible that some might actually enjoy the way Elvis delivers the lyrics, while his singing might not be as smooth as in 60-65? Isn't it possible that the whole context of the song, his singing, the emotion he puts in it and now in hindsight as a fan knowing in what shape Elvis was and what happened 18 months later, make this song something special to someone? I suppose it is because mutiple members here have stated they like this song, including me. Thank God we don't all feel the same way about stuff like this....
Stay strong.

Samain on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:11 am wrote:BTW, didn't Ernst describe Tom Jones' version as "stomach-turning". I agree with Ernst.
I've never read or heard that, it does not sound like anything he would ever say. Where is this comment found?

AndrewJ on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:16 am wrote:The vocal is wobbly, the delivery is flabby, the performance lacks any of the subtleties that graced Elvis' best work. His final works saw him drawn towards ballads with a dramatic ending - but his condition meant that he failed to pull it off. Listen to Take 1 of In the Ghetto and you can see how far he had fallen.
Thank you. Just because this is the truth doesn't mean anyone should consider it "condescending." We all have a right to view Elvis' work in our own way, but I will always maintain we honor his art and legacy best by acknowledging his highs ... and his lows.

Yes, some prefer his best performances, while others will accept and praise anything and everything. I know where I stand.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Rob on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:56 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 am wrote:But how anyone can give kudos to Presley's woeful master of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" is beyond comprehension.
Many men have tried to change me and were unsuccessful and have left the relationship with broken hearts. I have to give credit where credit is due. You've gone the extra mile and have constantly bent over backwards to set me straight. I have had a rough life and have been rained on too many times, as I've tried to tell others before you. I like this song and there's nothing you can say to change that. I also like "Mr. Songman," "Love song of the Year," "It's Easy For You," and "The Last Farewell." I loathe "Milkcow Blues Boogie" and the studio version of "Love Me Tender."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you'll have to take me as I am or let me go.

If you choose the latter, I'll miss you.
What are your thoughts on "My Boy" and "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)?"

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

They are not personal favorites of mine, but that Elvis rascal sure seemed to like them.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years

Post by LesterB »

Rob on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 am wrote:But how anyone can give kudos to Presley's woeful master of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" is beyond comprehension.
Many men have tried to change me and were unsuccessful and have left the relationship with broken hearts. I have to give credit where credit is due. You've gone the extra mile and have constantly bent over backwards to set me straight. I have had a rough life and have been rained on too many times, as I've tried to tell others before you. I like this song and there's nothing you can say to change that. I also like "Mr. Songman," "Love song of the Year," "It's Easy For You," and "The Last Farewell." I loathe "Milkcow Blues Boogie" and the studio version of "Love Me Tender."

I don't like “The Last Farewell” but do confess to liking the rest of your thumbs up and down list - especially “Love Song of the Year”.

Can you meet me halfway and confess that “The Last Farewell” is dreadful and Ill let you choose “Milkcow Blues Boogie” or the studio version of “Love Me Tender” for me to loathe?

JUST FOR TODAY

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

I refuse to budge on anything I've listed to like or loathe.

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years

Post by LesterB »

What about if I let you have two songs to my one?

JUST FOR TODAY

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Rob on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 am wrote:They are not personal favorites of mine, but that Elvis rascal sure seemed to like them.
Well, the Olivia Newton-John track was indeed a "happy" song.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

LesterB on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:10 am wrote:
Rob on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am wrote:

I don't like “The Last Farewell” but do confess to liking the rest of your thumbs up and down list - especially “Love Song of the Year”.

Can you meet me halfway and confess that “The Last Farewell” is dreadful and Ill let you choose “Milkcow Blues Boogie” or the studio version of “Love Me Tender” for me to loathe?
Out of all of those songs, "Milkcow Blues Boogie" is by far the standout, a dynamic and energized rhythm and blues workout also containing a magnificent vocal performance. "It's Easy For You" is one of the worst Presley masters from the 1970's era, and "Love Song of The Year" could easily be renamed "Cow Patty of The Year." "Mr. Songman" is another "Life," a substandard track recorded almost as a favor to the person who submitted it, and the "Last Farewell" is an oddity to say the least (although the stripped down alternates are much less nauseating than the master in all its syrupy post-production). The master of "Love Me Tender" is a classic track, and while its arrangement is understated and perhaps even a bit monotone, the vocal is majestic (the "end title version" contains a much more attractive arrangement and accompaniment).

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

That still doesn't change my mind.

You are headed down the road of heartbreak if you keep trying.

bajo

Post by bajo »

Rob on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:36 pm wrote:I'm the minority on this, but I like the song. Not sure how it would have turned out on stage, but I do like his studio version. I'm actually one who likes the entire album.

Recorded live -- yeah, right.
You're not the only one! :smt020

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Rob on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 am wrote:That still doesn't change my mind.

Oh well...maybe we will one day run into each other in Cinnccinnatti and get a second shot.

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

Deal.

I'll even buy the first couple of rounds.

Deleted User 15751

Post by Deleted User 15751 »

midnightx on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 pm wrote:
Rob on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 am wrote:That still doesn't change my mind.

Oh well...maybe we will one day run into each other in Cinnccinnatti and get a second shot.
:shock: :shock: Not many people would have gotten away with that ... :D

joeycoco
BANNED - FREQUENT RETURNING MEMBER
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by joeycoco »

It seems that the post-1973 haters don't understand that everything from the 70's studio work (and in particular Boulevard), can't be compared to ''Good Rockin' Tonight'' or ''My Baby Left Me'' all the time. Everything changes. So does EP. The interest in recording faded upwards the 70's. The songs not getting better. Due to all kinds of circumstances.

''I'll Never Fall In Love Again''. One of his worst? Why? Because some have written that down? Are you a parrot? I can think of a lot worse. Many covers are mostly not better than the original. So why would EP's attempt be better than TJ' version? Comments like EP was too ill, is over reacting. Listening to the outtakes of the Jungle Room sessions, i don't get the impression EP's last hour is near.

''I'll Never Fall In Love Again'' is in no way a disaster. We will never know the outcome of a live concert version. To say ''a live concert version would have been a disaster'', is like filling in the lottery ticket.

Banned.. Previously banned member trying to hide their identity behind VPN's and proxy services......

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

joeycoco on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am wrote:It seems that the post-1973 haters...
Are there actually "post-1973 haters" on this forum? I have never come across one. Just because one acknowledges that Elvis' rendition of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" is terrible, does not naturally make him or her a "post-1973 hater."

Winston
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Winston »

If Elvis would sing I'll Never Fall In Love live in Concert, the Fans will wonder what this is.
After that, they will call: "Hound Dog, Hound Dog, please Elvis, Hound Dog!"

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Winston on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:49 am wrote:If Elvis would sing I'll Never Fall In Love live in Concert, the Fans will wonder what this is.
After that, they will call: "Hound Dog, Hound Dog, please Elvis, Hound Dog!"
Yes, who would not want to see this?

It even goes past the one-minute mark!

Fabbe
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Fabbe »

Interesting debate. The song is not a favorite of mine and our man was down with voice - he has to push hard to get the notes out. I do hear ‘issues’ when he says «it looks like», «score» or in passages that require light singing (including gently sustaining the note). On the other hand, on the high notes he sounds better. (I hear the same problems on Moody blue)
Having said that, I don’t find that interpretation such a disaster because it is in tune, there is expression and is consistent. To me the song’s interpretation is below average for Elvis but not such a disaster (I have heard worst from him - and I don’t like to list those).Now, that is what i hear, and a personal opinion
I am curios what others here hear? According to youse what are the part of the song where Elvis vocals are problematic and what are the ones where it works?

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

Lexie1973
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by Lexie1973 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lexie1973 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:08 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 am wrote: But how anyone can give kudos to Presley's woeful master of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" is beyond comprehension. He was simply not up to the task.
Why such a condescending remark (again) Doc? Isn't music a matter of taste? Isn't it possible that some might actually enjoy the way Elvis delivers the lyrics, while his singing might not be as smooth as in 60-65? Isn't it possible that the whole context of the song, his singing, the emotion he puts in it and now in hindsight as a fan knowing in what shape Elvis was and what happened 18 months later, make this song something special to someone? I suppose it is because mutiple members here have stated they like this song, including me. Thank God we don't all feel the same way about stuff like this....
Stay strong.
Oh I will Doc....don't worry.

But you failed to answer my questions and try to get away with yet another condescending comment. I know for sure I'll Never Fall In Love Again with you Doc....that may also be beyond comprehension to you but alas it's the damned truth Image

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J330F met Tapatalk

Alex

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

This is how it's done, in my humble!
I doubt Elvis could've pulled this off in 1976, he barely manages it in the studio. I reckon in the early seventies though, anything would've been possible.
Mind you, I was disappointed to find the studio version dubbed with crowd chatter and applause on the 1969 Tom Jones 'Live in Las Vegas' album... :?

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

StefanKock on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:18 pm wrote: :shock: :shock: Not many people would have gotten away with that ... :D
It's easier to let it slide when I know that he knows better.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

Serious question here. In that Jones video, would that be considered bellowing?

joeycoco
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by joeycoco »

midnightx on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 pm wrote:
joeycoco on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am wrote:It seems that the post-1973 haters...
Are there actually "post-1973 haters" on this forum? I have never come across one. Just because one acknowledges that Elvis' rendition of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" is terrible, does not naturally make him or her a "post-1973 hater."
Hater maybe the wrong choice to define it. But the dislike among others here post 1973 is noticeable. Not to mention to ridicule EP. You did it yourself in this topic by posting Hound Dog from EIC.

Terrible rendition? By you. Thats fine. Not my favourite too. But others may like it or finds it okay. Just it has been written down on paper, does it make it the truth. You can not argue about taste.

Banned.. Previously banned member trying to hide their identity behind VPN's and proxy services......

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

midnightx on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:52 pm wrote:Yes, who would not want to see this?
His audience seems to be enjoying it.