emjel wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:05 pm
r&b wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:43 pm
Lonely Summer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:38 am
showfan wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:22 am
My son is 19, and he likes to sample a lot of different music. Johnny B Goode is the song he knew if Chuck. He recently told me that he listened to more of his stuff, and they all seemed very similar.
Tell him to seek out Havana Moon, Too Much Monkey Business, No Money Down, Downbound Train, Oh Baby Doll, Wee Wee Hours, Nadine, Memphis, Tennessee....there's more to Chuck than Johnny and Beethoven.
People that don't like Chuck Berry really don't like rock and roll.
Right. Some of his opening guitar riffs were similar, but many of his songs were not. The ones you mentioned along with Promised Land and Around and Around and many more. Great stuff
I just love The Stones version of Around and Around.

Yes it great. I remember seeing a great live TV version of that in 64 , I think it was on Ed Sullivan, I cant believe Elvis didnt like The Stones. You'd think their music would appeal to him.
Maybe he was turned off by their image - a lot of people were.
Didn't he tell Peter Noone he liked the Stones? I need to dig it out and listen again.
He did. I don't know of any quote where he said he didn't like them; where did people get that from? I know he liked the Beatles and the Beards, lol.
Not a direct quote per se but I did read in one of the many books I once had he disliked the image they presented and compared Jagger's dancing to a chicken. I also found this on the internet:

In 64/65 Elvis’ record sales and even his popularity was declining at warp-speed. He felt very threatened by the new British bands even though he put up a respectful front. He even performed “Something" for the Aloha gig which showed he must have warmed up to The Beatles at some point. But he harboured a deep disdain from Mick and the boys claiming their drug use was damaging to the moral fibre of American youth. (While his own medicine cabinet was stuffed with Dilaudid, Demerol, Benzodiazapine and every other Schedule II narcotic.) So, while he may have jammed some Stones at rehearsals, I've never heard a master even on bootleg. Hope this helped.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: elvis and chuck berry

Post by drjohncarpenter »

r&b wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:46 am
Not a direct quote per se but I did read in one of the many books I once had he disliked the image they presented and compared Jagger's dancing to a chicken. I also found this on the internet:

In 64/65 Elvis’ record sales and even his popularity was declining at warp-speed. He felt very threatened by the new British bands even though he put up a respectful front. He even performed “Something" for the Aloha gig which showed he must have warmed up to The Beatles at some point. But he harboured a deep disdain from Mick and the boys claiming their drug use was damaging to the moral fibre of American youth. (While his own medicine cabinet was stuffed with Dilaudid, Demerol, Benzodiazapine and every other Schedule II narcotic.) So, while he may have jammed some Stones at rehearsals, I've never heard a master even on bootleg. Hope this helped.

This is someone's unsourced commentary and almost all of it is demonstrably false.

There is no such claim by Elvis that the Rolling Stones "drug use was damaging to the moral fibre of American youth," and zero known recordings -- or even documentation -- that suggest he "jammed some Stones at rehearsals."

The internet is rife with this kind of claptrap, unfortunately.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Re: Elvis and Chuck Berry

Post by JimmyCool »

Not perfect, just for fun:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

Topic author
Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by Chucky99 »

Elvis was a far more complex artist and more versatile than chuck and that' s it.....

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

Promised Land in the version of Elvis is one of my all time favorite song.

drjohncarpenter

Chucky99 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:54 pm
Elvis was a far more complex artist and more versatile than chuck and that' s it.....

And he wrote far better songs, too.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by eligain »

r&b wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:46 am
Lonely Summer wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:36 pm
Samain wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:59 am
Lonely Summer wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:37 am
r&b wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 pm
emjel wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:05 pm
r&b wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:43 pm
Lonely Summer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:38 am
showfan wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:22 am
My son is 19, and he likes to sample a lot of different music. Johnny B Goode is the song he knew if Chuck. He recently told me that he listened to more of his stuff, and they all seemed very similar.
Tell him to seek out Havana Moon, Too Much Monkey Business, No Money Down, Downbound Train, Oh Baby Doll, Wee Wee Hours, Nadine, Memphis, Tennessee....there's more to Chuck than Johnny and Beethoven.
People that don't like Chuck Berry really don't like rock and roll.
Right. Some of his opening guitar riffs were similar, but many of his songs were not. The ones you mentioned along with Promised Land and Around and Around and many more. Great stuff
I just love The Stones version of Around and Around.

Yes it great. I remember seeing a great live TV version of that in 64 , I think it was on Ed Sullivan, I cant believe Elvis didnt like The Stones. You'd think their music would appeal to him.
Maybe he was turned off by their image - a lot of people were.
Didn't he tell Peter Noone he liked the Stones? I need to dig it out and listen again.
He did. I don't know of any quote where he said he didn't like them; where did people get that from? I know he liked the Beatles and the Beards, lol.

I have read quotes attributed to Elvis saying that he thought Jaggar danced around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Whether that was a true quote or not we will never know but Jaggar himself has described his stage dancing as like a chicken with it's head chopped off. Marty Lacker had said on a Elvis forum that Elvis screened the movie Gimme Shelter at the time of its release and made similar comments about Jaggar. I've never heard a comment by Elvis that he didn't like the Stones but I could see that image wise, they might not be his cup of tea but if he was able to get past their image, he would have probably found a lot of common ground with their music. I can also see him not really not digging Jaggar's voice.

Along these same lines; The Stones became associated with Satanism in some people's minds based on their album "Their Satanic Majesties Request" and that probably could have turned Elvis off to them as well. I remember in the mid 70's, Hoyt Axton (Mae Axton's son, writer of "Never Been to Spain" and a country/rock performing artist himself) went on a rant against the Rolling Stones on the Mike Douglas show based on his assumption they were in league with Satan. I remember him saying that if he saw any of them on the side of the road, he wouldn't pick them up. But he would pick up any of the Beatles. A lot of older generation people like Elvis just didn't understand stuff like that Stones album. BTW, the Stones kind of always had the image that they were the dirty, flip side opposite of the Beatles so they were castigated by older people and even younger people at the time.

eligain

Post by eligain »

Chucky99 wrote:
You need to look into Chuck Berry's catalog a little deeper before you make a statement like that.

Topic author
Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by Chucky99 »

eligain wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:37 am
Chucky99 wrote:
You need to look into Chuck Berry's catalog a little deeper before you make a statement like that.
I like very much Chuck s music. I listen to it often ,but he cannot compare to the King,Elvis....and that 's it...u know it and I know it.

eligain

Post by eligain »

Chucky99 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:43 am
eligain wrote:
Chucky99 wrote:
I like very much Chuck s music. I listen to it often ,but he cannot compare to the King,Elvis....and that 's it...u know it and I know it.
Sorry, I don't agree with you. Chuck wrote Rock and Roll standards that are the classic of the classics. Chuck also wrote great country songs, blues, r&b, and ballads and sang all those genres great and he was a great performer as well. He also had a way more prolific output than most people realise. I would have to say that Chuck was more complex artistically than Elvis. Besides rock and roll, r&b, blues, country and pop, Chuck was also into big bands and swing which Elvis didn't seem to have much interest. Johnny B. Goode came from a big band song from Louis Jordan. Chuck was also more accomplished on the guitar than Elvis (obviously).

Elvis was (of course) complex and progressed away from just simple rock and roll but Chuck was also much more complex than his most popular songs imply.

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by r&b »

Chucky99 wrote:
eligain wrote:
Chucky99 wrote:
You may know it but others do not have to share what you know. There are many facebook forums and you tube comments that state Chuck Berry is the true king of rock and roll (and some say its Little Richard). Because you feel one way doesnt mean its the truth despite your statement. Stop being so biased all the time and have an open mind as to what others may think. Yes I think Elvis is the better singer and could sing more styles of songs than Chuck but so did Bobby Darin who also wrote a lot of great songs and was a masterful musician on several instruments. Some think he is the most talented performer who came out of the 50's rock era, he just wasnt the first. If some folks want to think Chuck is better or more influential, who am I to say they are wrong. By the way far more complex is a strange term to use. You dont think Chuck was more complex by writing some of the greatest songs of all time or coming up with some of the greatest guitar riffs that influenced everyone who plugged in an electric guitar and wanted to play some rock and roll? Think before you speak. Its not always about vocals or looks.

drjohncarpenter

Chucky99 wrote:

Besides that, Elvis had way more groupies than Chuck.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

Chucky99 wrote:
Take a listen to this: complete rec 1954-1979 :smt020
R-7805382-1490022671-3428.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image Image Image
Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

Rebel Yell
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Rebel Yell »

There was so many more early rockers than Elvis, of course Chuck Berry, Little Richard but also Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Richie Valens, Bo Diddley and many more that wrote and recorded what we today consider classics. Songs like Johnny B Goode, Tutti Frutti, Peggy Sue, Summertime Blues just to name a few classics that has been recorded by many band and artists over the decades.
Who of them is the real king of rock & roll is up to anyone's standard, but Elvis was something else as he attracted a bigger (white) audience than
the black artists had a chance to do. You should keep in mind that in the early days there was black radio stations playing the black artists records while the white stations didn't play "race" music. So it was easy for record labels to put out "black music" recorded by white artists and that gained bigger hits.
Career wise Elvis lasted longer because he was multi talented both as a singer after the 50's rock & roll hype and as a movie star. He proved that he still was something in the entertainment world to respect when he returned from all those mid sixties (horrible) movies in 1968. So as a singer/entertainer he would always consider to be the greatest, as a songwriter he is not.
The early rockers all had a big part in the history of rock & roll and how it changed the world and maybe we should consider all of them Kings, at least for me they are as they has giving me a world of great music.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

Listen what John says about Chuck...

Image Image Image
Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

DearGeorgie
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DearGeorgie »

Swedish wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:59 pm
John's actually reading off of a cue card, but he ad libs "Right!" so he definitely agreed with the statement.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by pmp »

DearGeorgie wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:46 pm
Swedish wrote:
John's actually reading off of a cue card, but he ad libs "Right!" so he definitely agreed with the statement.
He's not reading during the opening statements.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by pmp »

Swedish wrote:
It's hard to imagine life without YouTube, isn't it? It's staggering just how many performances and shows we would have lost, possibly forever, without it, and the way fans and collectors have moulded it into the world's biggest archive of 20th century culture.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

bajo

Post by bajo »

Beeing very fond of Chuck Berry myself, I was not really impressed with that John Lennon and Yoko Ono performance!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

DearGeorgie
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DearGeorgie »

bajo wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:01 pm
Beeing very fond of Chuck Berry myself, I was not really impressed with that John Lennon and Yoko Ono performance!
It sounds very wonky for sure, very unrehearsed.. But Chuck's reaction to Yoko's wailing is priceless :D

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

pmp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:10 pm
Swedish wrote:
It's hard to imagine life without YouTube, isn't it? It's staggering just how many performances and shows we would have lost, possibly forever, without it, and the way fans and collectors have moulded it into the world's biggest archive of 20th century culture.
Yes! :smt023 and all TV company around the world who have their archives available digitally :smt007
"Sweden Public Service Tv" library: https://www.svtplay.se/kategori/oppet-arkiv
"Swedish Film Institute & National Library" archive https://www.filmarkivet.se/english

Image Image Image