Off Topic Messages

Bob Dylan selling cars

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:15 am

Ultimate sell out or great marketing ploy by Chrysler?

Re: Bob Dylan selling cars

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:37 am

BillySmith3577 wrote:Ultimate sell out or great marketing ploy by Chrysler?

Neither.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:54 am

Looks like ol' Bob has had a respray himself.

She looooks just like a Chrysler, yes she does.

She driiiiives just like a Chrysler, yes she does.

phpBB [video]

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:44 am

mike edwards66 wrote:Looks like ol' Bob has had a respray himself.

She looooks just like a Chrysler, yes she does.

She driiiiives just like a Chrysler, yes she does.

phpBB [video]

Whole lotta iconography goin' on.

Bob's looking pretty good for a man who will turn 73 this May 24th.

Here's a blog post which I appreciate, and will elevate this topic more than anyone could have expected, including the OP:

Things Have (Not) Changed

So people are upset Bob Dylan appeared in and let his music be used for some car commercial during the Superbowl this weekend. There are articles about it and people are crying 'sellout' this and sellout that all over news columns, Twitter, and Facebook. Here's why I think these people are idiots.

First, Dylan has let his music be used in commercials for many years. It's nothing new. Check out this awesome commercial. Awesome song, hot girl in lingerie, best lyricist of all time... seems like the perfect ad to me.

phpBB [video]

The commercial people are complaining about expounds America, as a concept, and as a value. And Bob Dylan has always represented that very idea. From his 1965 European tour where he called his music "American music" and hung a giant stars and stripes on the wall behind the stage, to his interview with 60 Minutes where he says he changed his name because "you call yourself what you wanna call yourself - this is the land of the free", Dylan has always been a great example of what America is supposed to represent. Making it on your own, chasing a dream, staying true to yourself and your work despite outside resistance - these things are what he and the United States of America represent for many people. Just look at what he says about American cities like New York and New Orleans, calling them "the capital of the world" and "the greatest city in the world" respectively. There was never any doubt this man was an American and quite proud of it.

But beyond the fact that these complainers are many years behind, that they don't understand that Dylan was never anti-America, there are other reasons why the whiners are morons. One Tweeting doofus said "Young Bob Dylan would vomit in the mouth of old Bob Dylan for making car commercials." It's obvious to me that this guy and those that share his complaints know very little about "young Bob Dylan". They only know the protest singer, anti-this, anti-that Bob Dylan that never actually existed. Dylan wrote a few songs early on that captured the mood felt by a movement of anti-war, anti-government youth at the time, and a few more based on real instances of violent racism. Then he plugged in his guitar and wrote introspective songs dealing with poetic and surreal realities. Joan Baez and people like her wanted Dylan to keep writing the songs they wished they could write but didn't know how. He didn't want to. (Some say he only wrote the political songs because he was dating a girl at the time who was very into the civil rights/anti-war culture; he was just trying to impress her.) He wanted nothing to do with the 'movement'. He didn't care about any causes. He wanted to be a musician. People don't seem to realize that he released The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, which contained the anthemic Blowin' in the Wind and the highly political Masters of War, in May of 1963, which was only 8 months before he released The Times They Are a-Changin'. That really was the extent of his 'political phase', those 8 months. Just 7 months after that he released Another Side of Bob Dylan which moved away from what he called "finger pointing songs". You can say Chimes of Freedom is a political tune, and it sorta is, albeit a very poetic one, and one far from the type of song that Times or Wind were. And besides that, Chimes was actually a leftover song from the previous album. The follow-up albums to Another Side were the famous trilogy, starting with Bringing it All Back Home. By this time Dylan was light years away from politically charged folk music. And yet that label never did wear off. A career than spans over 50 years, including 33 studio albums, 58 singles, 11 live albums, 10 albums from his Bootleg Series, and 30 compilation albums, and people can't get beyond that year or so where he wrote a few songs that fit well with the civil rights and anti-war movement.

And besides the false belief that Dylan has always been some beacon of artistic integrity, shunning the financial aspects of the music business, he never even sold out in the first place. I talk about this idea in this post called Pull the Lever for a Refreshing Coca-Cola. If you have any interest in why I believe that selling your music to commercials does not necessarily make you a sellout, by all means, read that post. The gist of it is this: selling your art does not make you a sellout. Altering your art to please others makes you a sellout. You can be a sellout without making a dime, just as you can make millions off your art and still retain your artistic integrity. And anyone that knows Dylan's music knows that he never went along with any trend, or tried to capitalize on some fad. His music has changed drastically twenty, 30 times, often to the dismay of his most loyal followers, and often away from what would be most lucrative. He never changed his art to please anyone. He even risked losing the fans he did have, and thus the money he made from them, by following his own artistic path, wherever it led him. And that, to me, is the opposite of a sellout.

http://www.myperfectbrokenmind.com/2014/02/things-have-not-changed.html

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Cool commercial

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Yes, it is.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:42 pm

It's nice knowing Bob is building me a car. (I would like for him to drive it. ;) )

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 am

rjm wrote:It's nice knowing Bob is building me a car. (I would like for him to drive it. ;) )

rjm

I'm sure your next post will be From a Buick 6, cruising down Highway 61, with the Bobster at the wheel.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:38 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
rjm wrote:It's nice knowing Bob is building me a car. (I would like for him to drive it. ;) )

rjm

I'm sure your next post will be From a Buick 6, cruising down Highway 61, with the Bobster at the wheel.

I wish! LOL!

rjm

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:31 pm

" it's a hard , its a hard, it's a hard, its a hard rain gonna fall "