Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Best Live Elvis Shows you've Seen or Heard?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:09 am

Enough with the negativity, let's get cracking with a positive thread! What are the best live shows that you've seen or heard Elvis do? , I find it impossible to name but one but I could listen to anything from 1969 and 1970 and never get bored of it!

Re: Best Live Elvis Shows you've Seen or Heard?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Give the recent "Hot August Night" FTD a spin - it's marvellous! ::rocks

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:45 pm

That August 12, 1970 midnight show should be at or near the top of everyone's list.

The guy was simply on fire that night.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:01 pm

agree there Rob....... 8) 8)

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:07 pm

The Madison Square Garden Shows on the 'Prince From Another Planet' set are outstanding as is the one on 'Left A Good Job In The City' CD.

Brian

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Seen - 4/09/1972 ES
Heard - 8/12/70 MS

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:38 pm

All the material through early 1970 is stunning.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Any live recording from the 50s, Little Rock etc.

Hawaii, 1961.

Burbank 1968.

LV, 1969 - 1970 and Winter 1972.

April and June 1972.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Hawaii 61 - the closest we will ever come to a real vintage Elvis Presley complete show, Jords, Boots, etc. And ALL ELVIS SONGS!
Last edited by r&b on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Thank you all for your responses, this is quite refreshing. :)

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:09 pm

To be seen: August 12, 1970 MS and/or August 11, 1970 DS
To be heard: Elvis In Person LP and/or Elvis On Stage February 1970 LP

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Hot August Night. A delight to listen to (where is that Larry piano?).

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 pm

I saw Elvis many times between June 1972 & May 1977. Some were shows I look back on and think "Incredible!" and one or two I feel sad about when I reflect on them (Philly '77 most notably) BUT each was an experience that was simply magical. He was able to transcend the mundane when he entered an arena...his presence was that special.

I have been to many concerts since he left this mortal coil and have yet to see one performer who made me think they could come close to the events I shared with Elvis on stage- not one.

One can listen to recordings and try to imagine how wonderful it was to experience a live Elvis performance but you really can't. You can imagine how it was and if you do- magnify that feeling by 100 times. Then you MIGHT come close to how it actually was when he commanded a stage in the flesh.

Just my humble opinion though.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Greybeard wrote:I saw Elvis many times between June 1972 & May 1977. Some were shows I look back on and think "Incredible!" and one or two I feel sad about when I reflect on them (Philly '77 most notably) BUT each was an experience that was simply magical. He was able to transcend the mundane when he entered an arena...his presence was that special.

I have been to many concerts since he left this mortal coil and have yet to see one performer who made me think they could come close to the events I shared with Elvis on stage- not one.

One can listen to recordings and try to imagine how wonderful it was to experience a live Elvis performance but you really can't. You can imagine how it was and if you do- magnify that feeling by 100 times. Then you MIGHT come close to how it actually was when he commanded a stage in the flesh.

gave me goosebumps reading that.......brilliant post

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Enough with the negativity, let's get cracking with a positive thread! What are the best live shows that you've seen or heard Elvis do? , I find it impossible to name but one but I could listen to anything from 1969 and 1970 and never get bored of it!

Of what we have, these are unassailable:

March 19, 1955 (Houston)
May 16, 1956 (Little Rock)
September 26, 1956 (Tupelo)
December 15, 1956 (Shreveport)
March 25, 1961 (Honolulu)
June 27, 1968 (Burbank) --> seen and heard!

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 pm

My vote would have to go with the April '72 tour...in particular Hampton Roads April 9th. Everything about that show I love, especially my all-time favourite version of "Trilogy".And regarding the early days, the Tupelo '56 show the Doc has just mentioned is another firm favourite. The shows are just iconic.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Greybeard wrote:I saw Elvis many times between June 1972 & May 1977. Some were shows I look back on and think "Incredible!" and one or two I feel sad about when I reflect on them (Philly '77 most notably) BUT each was an experience that was simply magical. He was able to transcend the mundane when he entered an arena...his presence was that special.

WOW George! WOW! I can only wish I was as lucky as you and other folks here that have had the same pleasure... :smt023

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I would add also the September 1957 Tupelo concert, even Elvis sang that night without Bill and Scotty

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:44 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:I would add also the September 1957 Tupelo concert, even Elvis sang that night without Bill and Scotty

Where have you seen or heard this concert? It's one of the most intriguing '50s gigs, being the only one without Scotty and Bill.

Elvis Presley - guitar, vocals
Hank Garland - lead guitar
Chuck Wiginton - acoustic bass
D.J. Fontana - drums
Jordanaires - backing vocals

See also -->
Chuck Wiginton - The Unknown Bass Player
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27189

570927_w Wiginton_Tupelo.JPG
With Chuck Wiginton, Tupelo Benefit Show - Friday, September 27, 1957
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:35 am

It's hard to beat Hampton Roads 1972 and the December 1976 tour. Though I've never heard the entire show, I really like the Austin 1977 version of Steamroller. I would like to hear that complete show.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:06 am

August 12th Midnight Show 1970
Any 1969 and prior concert
Hampton Roads April 9th 1972
Any MSG 1972 show
November 1971 Boston Tour Show

So many :)

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 am

Haven't picked up "Hot August Night" - yet - so I'll go with the show represented on Elvis at the International FTD (8/23/69 MS)

I've always loved the 12/28/76 Dallas Show - lots of really neat moments in that show. Had it first on a bootleg, later on "Showtime"

Just to throw one more out there - I'll go with the May 1975 Murfeesboro shows represented on "Dixieland Rocks"

I've listened to these three shows way more then nearly all of the others in my collection - each is very enjoyable to me for different reasons.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 am

Brilliant! Thanks for this, greybeard. Post of the week! ::rocks

That only confirms once more why we're all here 36 years after he left the building and discussing his body of work.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:32 am

Rob wrote:That August 12, 1970 midnight show should be at or near the top of everyone's list.

Great choice. It's tough to choose, but from what I've seen and heard, I tend to agree with you sir.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 am

Joe Car wrote:
Rob wrote:That August 12, 1970 midnight show should be at or near the top of everyone's list.

Great choice. It's tough to choose, but from what I've seen and heard, I tend to agree with you sir.

Of course this was a great show but if I remember correctly it was too much fooling around by our man for me.