Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

When Was the Last Time Elvis Was Truly Happy?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:27 am

It's probably been pretty well discussed here about Elvis's downward spiral in the last couple of years of his life, so forgive me if I'm treading over covered ground.

Anyway, it's well known, or at least widely assumed, that Elvis suffered from depression, especially in the last few years. My question is, when was the last time Elvis was truly happy and optimistic about the direction of his life, health career, family, etc.?

My guess would be just after That's the Way It Is. I think he knew it was a success for sure and was really proud of the performances he put forth. I think it was late December 1970 / early 1971 where the cracks had begun to show a bit - problems with Priscilla worsening, plus boredom with the Vegas routine starting to creep in.

I think for the rest of his career, he had isolated moments he took pride in - the MSG shows, the success of "Burning Love" and Aloha, and a good deal of isolated performances here and there. I think he was content with Ginger and there were signs of improvement during the surprisingly lucid run from the end of 1976, but there was still a lot to work out if Elvis even considered putting forth the effort.

Thoughts?

Re: When Was the Last Time Elvis Was Truly Happy?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 am

U.S. Male1990 wrote: My question is, when was the last time Elvis was truly happy and optimistic about the direction of his life, health career, family, etc.?

I'd say... February 1, 1968...

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:43 am

Only Elvis would have known the answer to that.

I think he was probably a pretty happy guy most of the time but it's hard to say.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:56 am

1957 before drafted and still with his mother

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 am

For more than a short time, say the December 1976 tour, probably in the first few months after he met Linda. Maybe 1970 would be the last really good year for him as a whole.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:48 am

promiseland wrote:1957 before drafted and still with his mother

That's a pretty good answer. I don't think he was ever "truly" happy, whatever that means in any event. If it does mean something, you would have to go back to when his mother was alive. I think when she arrived in Texas. They were both devastated when he had to leave, and then she arrived.

After she had to go back, and then passed away, he was never "truly happy" ever again. Yes, there were times.

The closest, after that, would be either late on June 27, 1968, or the first morning after the first night of the American Sound sessions. I think he felt great satisfaction. But in '68, it was also very stressful, so I would go for early '69, as the "last time." Good question, without a really good answer available.

But "truly happy"? After losing his mother just two years after being able to give all that she never had? No.

Not '70, though it does appear that way. He was somewhat uncertain once he hit the road with the Astrodome gig - but things went well, and had a good summer, but after the cameras left in August, things went downhill. The September tour was terrific, but by November, things had changed radically. Just completely.

And due to the reasons about which I feel certain, this means, he was only living a kind of "false" happiness during the comeback period. Like a "false spring." All it took was the outside world to poke its way into his a bit, and he just lost it. Oh, we couldn't see it right away, but I think we can see certain things now very clearly. The almost desperate plane flights associated with "badge fever" . . . this is not some joke, as a lot of people see it. He felt cornered, because he saw everything changing in the world around him. And he couldn't do anything but "protect" himself, and this drove him underground, and perhaps, into the ground.

See this post. I spell it out. It's in my post, after a quote, and spelled out: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65992&p=982574&hilit=agnew+rjm#p982574

Ernest Hemingway wrote:“When spring came, even the false spring, there were no problems except where to be happiest. The only thing that could spoil a day was people and if you could keep from making engagements, each day had no limits. People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself.”

― Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast

Summerof69.jpg

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:48 am

rjm wrote: I don't think he was ever "truly" happy,

Who is really truly happy? Contented perhaps but truly happy…..

Elvis had a short life and an even shorter career but I believe he was happy for much of it. Here’s a question for you though rjm.
If your told at 19 years old that you’ll be a millionaire by 21, sell more records than any other solo artist in the history of recorded music, be a successful Hollywood actor, perform sold out concerts including being beamed around the world via satellite, be known around the globe by your first name but the deal it that if you take this short-term gain that you’d be plagued by loneliness, insecurities, self destructive tendencies and pass away after only another 23 years would you take it?

Deal or no deal?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:53 am

Julian Grant wrote:

Elvis had a short life and an even shorter career but I believe he was happy for much of it. Here’s a question for you though rjm.
If your told at 19 years old that you’ll be a millionaire by 21, sell more records than any other solo artist in the history of recorded music, be a successful Hollywood actor, perform sold out concerts including being beamed around the world via satellite, be known around the globe by your first name but the deal it that if you take this short-term gain that you’d be plagued by loneliness, insecurities, self destructive tendencies and pass away after only another 23 years would you take it?

Deal or no deal?

This would be a legitimate question only is Elvis knew his own destiny which he didn't .

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:02 pm

promiseland wrote:This would be a legitimate question only is Elvis knew his own destiny which he didn't .

Yes, of course but just as in the original post it's a hypothetical question. Let me rephrase the question - if it were you and you knew your own destiny would you take the deal?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 pm

We can only speculate,the only person who could truly answer that was Elvis.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Julian Grant wrote:
promiseland wrote:This would be a legitimate question only is Elvis knew his own destiny which he didn't .

Yes, of course but just as in the original post it's a hypothetical question. Let me rephrase the question - if it were you and you knew your own destiny would you take the deal?

Yes, just to have all those women, although I think I would have skipped Linda and Priscilla. There was just so many more gorgeous females than those two, to choose from being Elvis..

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Julian Grant wrote:

Deal or no deal?

If I had all the information? The whole thing? Losing his mom at 23, and having to smile through it in the service, and the movie dream crushed, yet with the great, thrilling moments punctuating it all?

Honestly? No deal. That's when you go to The Crossroads, fall down on your knees. And you and the devil walk side-by-side, as in Robert Johnson's blues. It's tempting, as it should be.

No deal. I would settle for "contentment." When Elvis was "happy," he was over the moon, but when he wasn't . . . well, no deal.

That's an excellent question: the Faustian bargain. It's not easy, either. But you don't get to go to your own funeral. You don't.

rjm {I saw the comment about the women! He was a guy: died at just 42. So, girlies, everywhere! But when you mature into actual middle age, well, sometimes you'd rather have a lobster. Although I'm female, so . . . but I dunno. :) }

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:35 pm

The real question, Julian, to me is: if you could spend one night with Elvis (in 1969!), and yet go through all that, and die at 42?

That would be a real "The Crossroads" moment!

rjm

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:59 pm

jacob wrote:We can only speculate,the only person who could truly answer that was Elvis.

+ 1

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:36 pm

On 16-08-77 in the morning when he has visited his dentist for tooth-ache.

colonel snow.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 pm

it is a question regarding the kind "If Only". No man in the whole wide world is truly happy. Maybe Elvis was happy to sing in Memphis in March 1974 after 13 years, but not very much, because by then it was a routine regardless the city where he was performing, unfortunally. Maybe if he was on international tours all could be different.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 pm

For some reason, looking at the picture above, I can't help but thinking behind those eyes is a man thinking..gimme my baby and get this money grubbing wench off my lap. I don't in any way believe Elvis truly loved Priscilla and according to a few of the MM it was more a case of entrapment which I believe without a doubt. I don't think the birth of his child was the happiest time for him because it was from someone he didn't love like "that" evidenced by the fact Elvis wasn't interested in Priscilla after the birth.
It almost seems like he was saying, I gave you what you wanted now leave me alone.

I think Elvis was happiest touring in the early years. He could mingle with newfound friends, hang out and just be a teenager. He was able to do something he loved...get up on stage... sing, and make a fool of himself and everyone loved it. He had no real obligations to worry about. He had the backing of a very loving mother to secure his world and make him realize he was needed and loved. Maybe I'm wrong, but if it were me, I think that would be my most happy time.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:00 pm

We can only speculate but by all accounts I've read in various books, the birth of Lisa Marie was the last time most folks say. He was walking on air on being a father. Career wise? Probably the 68 TV show. Hey, same year!

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:14 am

Tim C wrote:For some reason, looking at the picture above, I can't help but thinking behind those eyes is a man thinking..gimme my baby and get this money grubbing wench off my lap. I don't in any way believe Elvis truly loved Priscilla and according to a few of the MM it was more a case of entrapment which I believe without a doubt. I don't think the birth of his child was the happiest time for him because it was from someone he didn't love like "that" evidenced by the fact Elvis wasn't interested in Priscilla after the birth.
It almost seems like he was saying, I gave you what you wanted now leave me alone.

I think Elvis was happiest touring in the early years. He could mingle with newfound friends, hang out and just be a teenager. He was able to do something he loved...get up on stage... sing, and make a fool of himself and everyone loved it. He had no real obligations to worry about. He had the backing of a very loving mother to secure his world and make him realize he was needed and loved. Maybe I'm wrong, but if it were me, I think that would be my most happy time.

I know it was the sixties, but damn Cilla looks horrendous with that hair and fake eyelashes. I don't understand why Elvis liked his women to look so made up and gaudy. She looked 100 times better after she broke away from Elvis. :D As for the original thread question, I think the key word is "truly". I'm sure Elvis had periods of happy times off and on until he died, but I don't think he was "truly" happy after August 14, 1958.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:41 am

The last time he was truly happy? Maybe when he got married. Other times: becoming a father, presenting his mother a new car, a house, etc.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:41 am

U.S. Male1990 wrote:When was the last time Elvis was truly happy ?
Thoughts?

Hawaii, March, 1977 (For some reason, Dr. Nick should not have been in that photo..obviously a non-fit)