Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' facelift.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:01 pm

When did Elvis have his alleged face lift? When looking at photo's from July 1975, Elvis still looks like "Elvis". Sure, he was overweight and obviously had health issues but he still looked like the Elvis we were used to. Then in August 1975 the photo's show that Elvis just didn't look quite the same anymore. Now, was the alleged face lift done sometime in July/August or did Elvis' health rapidly decline in that time frame which made him look quite ill. By the time of his December 31st concert he looked awful. People must have been shocked when he walked on stage on that night.

Re: Elvis' facelift.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:27 pm

okay...i don't know much about exact dates but i'll try this one.
Elvis' facelift was done in either June or July 1975. There are photos of Elvis in concert and wearing the gypsy jumpsuit that show an obvious discoloration around the eyes. I don't believe Elvis had a complete facelift, i think he only got his eyes done.
BTW i believe that back in 1956, Elvis also got a nose job. If you look at photos from around that time, he had something of a pug nose and had it surgically altered to make it narrower. His studio portraits (post1956), you can tell the difference.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:59 pm

I think he spoilt his sloe, sexy eyed look having the work done

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:47 pm

elvisbot wrote:...BTW i believe that back in 1956, Elvis also got a nose job.
If you look at photos from around that time, he had something of a pug nose and had it surgically altered to make it narrower.
His studio portraits (post1956), you can tell the difference.

I always thought he might have had his nose fixed back in the fifties.

This notion was based purely on how he looked !

In early photos, he had a slight "boxer's nose" which went away by '57/'58.

But, he was so young then, his features may not have been fully settled & the 'improvement' might have been a natural one !

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:46 pm

It wasn't an actual face lift, was it? As far as I can remember, Elvis had work done on his eyes. Frankly, I never noticed much of a difference. Elvis' change in appearance during the last couple years of his life had much more to do with his unhealthy appearance than anything else.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:31 am

midnightx wrote:It wasn't an actual face lift, was it? As far as I can remember, Elvis had work done on his eyes. Frankly, I never noticed much of a difference. Elvis' change in appearance during the last couple years of his life had much more to do with his unhealthy appearance than anything else.

Yeah, I agree!

Incidentally Elvis was admitted to hospital on July 15th 1975, returning to Graceland on the 17th.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:19 am

ColinB wrote:
If you look at photos from around that time, he had something of a pug nose and had it surgically altered to make it narrower.

Oh no! Better hope Lisa's not logged in here under some kinda username. Her second husband repeated this dubious story (which had made the rounds a bit, and he got ahold of it rummaging through her things, I guess, which was an old habit) in T.V. Guide when they were still married. I think she almost hit him over the head with a flower pot or something. Very, very MAD! Wouldn't want her to read that here!

:smt005 :smt005

rjm
P.S. -- I'll post what he said, if you'd like. Somewhere I have an interview with Lisa where she talks about her explosive reaction. Anyway, he says, whining, "Elvis had his nose done" as if this "Elvis" were just some recording artist . . . and not consider the following: "He's YOUR FATHER-IN-LAW, YOU SPACE CADET! AND YOUR WIFE IS GONNA KILL YOU!"

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:57 am

rjm wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Oh no! Better hope Lisa's not logged in here under some kinda username. Her second husband repeated this dubious story (which had made the rounds a bit, and he got ahold of it rummaging through her things, I guess, which was an old habit) in T.V. Guide when they were still married. I think she almost hit him over the head with a flower pot or something. Very, very MAD! Wouldn't want her to read that here!
:smt005 :smt005
rjm
P.S. -- I'll post what he said, if you'd like. Somewhere I have an interview with Lisa where she talks about her explosive reaction. Anyway, he says, whining, "Elvis had his nose done" as if this "Elvis" were just some recording artist . . . and not consider the following: "He's YOUR FATHER-IN-LAW, YOU SPACE CADET! AND YOUR WIFE IS GONNA KILL YOU!"

Maybe it's not the idea of him getting a nose job that upsets her..................... but the fact that it's being publicised................

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Julian Grant wrote:
midnightx wrote:It wasn't an actual face lift, was it? As far as I can remember, Elvis had work done on his eyes. Frankly, I never noticed much of a difference. Elvis' change in appearance during the last couple years of his life had much more to do with his unhealthy appearance than anything else.

Yeah, I agree!

Incidentally Elvis was admitted to hospital on July 15th 1975, returning to Graceland on the 17th.

Surely that must be June 15? Elvis was on tour July 8 - 24.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:54 pm

And the Dr didn't want to do it,said his face was almost perfect.

Re: Elvis' face lift.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes, now I believe it was not a face lift but some sort of tightening around his eye's. The eye lift ( or whatever it was) combined with Elvis' poor health made him look ill for most of 1976 and 1977.
Also, it seemed like Elvis stopped using mascara in 1976. I think the only time it was used again was for the CBS cameras in June 1977.

He looked so wasted it's hard to believe he was only 42 years old.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Elvis got a nose job in the 50's?
My God, where does this stuff come from?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 pm

promiseland wrote:Elvis got a nose job in the 50's?

I have heard about it before but I don't know if there is any evidence to prove it. His nose did seem to get thinner after 1956 but that could just be weight fluctuation etc...

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Val wrote:

I have heard about it before but I don't know if there is any evidence to prove it. His nose did seem to get thinner after 1956 but that could just be weight fluctuation etc...

...or adulthood.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:45 pm

promiseland wrote:
Val wrote:

...or adulthood.

True.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:58 pm

promiseland wrote:
Val wrote:

...or adulthood.

So your nose gets thinner between the ages of 20 and 22?? Come on. All you have to do is look at the photos. Is it something to be ashamed of?? of course not. They did a great job. Marilyn Monroe had her chin done for Gods sake. No harm in admitting this when they were improvements. Its the crazy face lifts that are to be shyed away from.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:19 pm

The Graceland archives have a bill for that procedure and have admitted that EP had minor nose surgery in 56 or 57. Cannot recall exact date. It was posted some years ago.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Surely that must be June 15? Elvis was on tour July 8 - 24.

Yes Hav-A-Tampa, thanks, typo - my bad.

Juan Luis wrote:The Graceland archives have a bill for that procedure and have admitted that EP had minor nose surgery in 56 or 57. Cannot recall exact date. It was posted some years ago.

Maybe it's the bill for George Klein's nose job which Elvis paid for while he was filming "Jailhouse Rock"?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Julian Grant wrote:

Juan Luis wrote:The Graceland archives have a bill for that procedure and have admitted that EP had minor nose surgery in 56 or 57. Cannot recall exact date. It was posted some years ago.

Maybe it's the bill for George Klein's nose job which Elvis paid for while he was filming "Jailhouse Rock"?

By Jailhouse Rock Elvis' nose had been transformed. One can see minute scars on either side of bridge. A tell tale sign of plastic surgery. No big deal. Obviously turned out great.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Val wrote:When did Elvis have his alleged face lift? When looking at photo's from July 1975...

According Peter Guralnick ("Day by Day", 1999, page 349) was on June 15, 1975:
"Elvis is admitted to the Mid-South Hospital for two days for what the press report as "an extensive eye examination" but what is in fact cosmetic surgery around his eyes".

In this shot you can see his eyes after surgery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:27 am

Juan Luis wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:

By Jailhouse Rock Elvis' nose had been transformed. One can see minute scars on either side of bridge. A tell tale sign of plastic surgery. No big deal. Obviously turned out great.

Got a pic? Of the scars? Would be interesting for folks to judge. (He did look sleeker; I always thought it was make-up. They can do a lot with shadow.) Maybe. I know there was some guy in Hollywood who said in some movie mag that he did some work on Elvis around that time. He then recanted, or said it wasn't a true story that was printed. I do not recall where I read this, but I did.

I figured Michael found this in her things: an old magazine or something. He used to always go through other peoples things: he did it in Ryan White's house (the kid's room!) the day the kid died; Mrs. White caught him with his hands in Ryan's desk or bureau, and said: "you can have anything you want, you know." (People Magazine, 1990.) So I figured, he was probably searching wildly for "plastic surgery" in Lisa's house, and found something in her attic or somewhere. Then repeated it to TV Guide, in a cover-interview. (The one with the sorta-beard: that scraggy dark stuff was the attempt at a beard. :lol: ) And Lisa, of course, read it. And BOOM!

rjm

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:38 am

CORRECTION: The TV Guide interview was in 1999. They were no longer married, but they had been very good friends (she is on film, on tour with him a year or two after the divorce, and went to South Africa and went parasailing with him . . ., etc.). And she spoke about this incident specifically when she was ranting and raving about how P.O.'d she was at him during those promotional interviews for her albums (and ON the albums, she was ranting and raving, about something - and she did speak of this). Just blew A FUSE!

Here's the precise quotation:
TV Guide, quoting Michael Jackson wrote:Michael: "All of Hollywood has plastic surgery! I don't know why they point me out. The press exaggerated it. It's just my nose, you know. They want it to be everything. Just the nose isn't enough. Elvis had his nose done - Lisa Marie told me. They don't talk about that. They single me out. It's not fair."

rjm
P.S. -- She clearly did not agree that she "told" him. I dunno. Any pics?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:28 am

Billy Smith had it right when he said Elvis needed to have his eyes done like he needed to have a second butt.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 pm

From the book Down at the End of Lonely Street: The Life and Death of Elvis Presley
by Peter Harry Brown, Pat H. Broeske

Hardcover, 448 pages
Published: August 1st, 1997 by Dutton Books (first published July, 1997)
ISBN: 0525942467 (ISBN13: 9780525942467)

Chapter 9 - The Cool and the Crazy:

Unofficially Elvis began to make a second home of Hollywood, where he made two movies back-to-back in 1957. Early in the year he began filming Loving You, which Paramount and Hal Wallis billed as ''the first big modern musical built around the fiery personality of Elvis Presley.'' Director Hal Kanter even spent several weeks following Presley, in Memphis and in Shreveport -- where Elvis finished out his Louisiana Hayride contract with a farewell concert.

The resulting film followed a sweet-natured (but sexy) singer named Deke Rivers, from his barnstorming days with a hillbilly band to his emergence as a star. Filled with loose parallels to Presley's own life, and tunes ranging from ''Teddy Bear'' (which became a signature tune to Elvis's teenage fans) to ''Mean Woman Blues,'' the movie finds Rivers having to face persistent fans, being goaded into fistfights, and being manipulated by press agents. Through it all, as Deke Rivers's star continues to rise, he remains the same unaffected country boy.

The same could not be said for Elvis -- at least physically.

When he showed up on the film set late in January 1957, he had been glamorized -- with the help of one of Hollywood's leading plastic surgeons. Both he and his high school buddy turned disc jockey, George Klein, had become patients of Dr. Maury Parks, who was known at the time as the ''nose doctor.'' Klein's surgery has never been a secret, but Elvis insisted on it. ''He wanted someone else to have the operation at the same time,'' said Joe Esposito, a longtime Presley confidant. According to Esposito, Elvis's nose was altered ''only slightly.'' The acne scars disappeared and his complexion was suddenly flawless. Elvis would go on to be a repeat customer for Dr. Parks.

Other changes were made as well. Elvis's teeth had been capped. And most noticeably, after years of temporarily darkening his hair -- with greases, oils, and on rare occasion, even shoe polish -- he finally dyed it black. With rare exceptions he would retain that color for the rest of his life. In fact, Elvis Presley's black hair became such a part of his image that many people would never realize he was once sandy blond.

Notwithstanding these cosmetic triumphs, producers ignored his acting skills. Loving You was only the first of many enjoyable but undemanding roles that relied entirely on Presley's musical presence. Answering critics decades later, Hal Wallis was unapologetic: ''Elvis was a great entertainer, a great personality. . .and that is what we bought when we bought him.'' Added Wallis: ''The idea of tailoring Elvis for dramatic roles is something that we never attempted because we did not sign Elvis as a second Jimmy Dean. We signed him as a number one Elvis Presley.''

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:53 am

"Persons" present: Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson

The "Persons" are reading this on their little "clouds" right now.

Elvis: "That's PURE HORSES**T!!!!!"

Michael: "Your daughter told me, before these fans of yours repeated it down there."

Elvis: "Damn. Well, she was your baby, by then. She made you rock it, huh?"

Michael: "What does that mean?"

Elvis: "It means you GOT DUMPED."

Michael: "Your fans are crazy, you know. Look at them saying this stuff about you. My fans never say bad stuff about me."

Elvis: "Yours are clinically insane. Some have been imprisoned. I know; I can see from up here."

Elvis had the last word in this conversation.

rjm