Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Dion "Hug my Radiator"

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:34 am

LOVE this song! What CD is it on and what year did it come out?

Re: Dion "Hug my Radiator"

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:03 am

It's on Dion's Deja Nu one of his all time best from 2000 (recorded 1999). It's kind of an updated doo wop/rockabilly LP that Dion recorded as the soundtrack for an un-produced movie of his life story that was to be directed by Chazz Palmienteri if the financing were ever found. "Hug My Radiator" was inspired by the cold nights Dion spent with Buddy Holly, the Belmonts, Ritchie Valens and others on that infamous "Winter Dance Party." The LP also has a new song written in the doo wop style called "Shu Bop" which became kind of an underground hit back in 2000. It got some play on adult contemporary stations, but it got bigger play on oldies stations that treated it as if it were an actual oldie. There are a handful of other splendid tracks including a beautiful doo wop interpretation of Bruce Springsteen's "Book of Dreams" which IMO outclasses Springsteen's and is arguably the best Springsteen remake ever. It also has a second gorgeous doo wop ballad called in "In New York City" and a moving tribute to Buddy Holly called "Every Day That I'm With You" that could easily have been a hit if modern Top 40 were not so rigidly structured as to completely omit outliers like this one, recorded for an independent label and not directly aimed at the teen market. That one's a kind of singer-songwriter type deal more than doo wop but it's still great.

It was originally produced for and released by the UK Ace label. However, the one to get is the US release by Collectables' records which also includes another great Springsteen remake as a bonus track "If I Should Fall Behind." Originally recorded in 1993, it's an cappella doo wop rendition. Springsteen later used elements of it in his on stage version. He also occasionally sang it on stage with Dion. He said in the liner notes to Dion's boxed set, "I wish he would sing more of my songs so I could learn how to sing 'em." As good a compliment from a writer as you can get.
Last edited by likethebike on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Dion "Hug my Radiator"

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:35 am

Thank you very much for all the information concerning this CD release. It was very informitive and I thank you for responding! I will seek out this CD besides "Hug My Radiator", now I want to hear the rest of the CD! :D